[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I am the noob from yesterday that had problems with Arch, a lot
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: 516726_sleeperr1.jpg (28 KB, 700x394) Image search: [Google]
516726_sleeperr1.jpg
28 KB, 700x394
I am the noob from yesterday that had problems with Arch, a lot of hours later, some research and shit, I got my system working besides the graphical stuff. Gnome doesn't work any way. I reinstalled it, I have the nvidia packages and all, and still nothing. The foruns are taking all day to give a proper question. So, can you help me? I always get a message like this one.
>>
>>>/adv/
>>
>>52019659
Why use memeos?
>>
I respect your audacity. You know you can have a easier time with just a easier distro. I don't know how to help you, does this happen when you start up gnome? do you see any errors that might give more hints anywhere?
>>
>>52019718
It happens when i execute startx. When I use Ctrl, Alt, F2 to get back to the terminal it clears the screen and it doesn;t show the erros.
>>
This is what happens when you help posters of tech support threads /g/

They don't learn anything and they just keep coming back for more retarded help
>>
Try to log all errors with

startx 2>error.txt

This basically means "save all errors"(which is the 2 for some reason) into error.txt.
and then tell us what error.txt says after you get back open it with
nano error.txt
vi error.txt or whatever you use
>>
>>52019966
The file is empty. It still doesn't work.
>>
you fell for the meme, dipshit

get off your high horse and install a ubuntu derivative like a fucking normal person.

In six months you can try again if you're that desperate to be a cool guy^tm on the internet
>>
>>52019659
That shit still hasn't been fixed yet?
Easy solution: Don't use Gnome
>>
my new laptop has major issues with all debian distros. vanilla debian, mint, arch and kali wont even boot. i can install ubuntu but that shit is horrid.
>>
>>52020096
I am no expert, I stopped using arch after a year and installed Ubuntu Gnome because I needed something with less tweaking and strange errors. But if you go to IRC you can go to #arch or ##linux on freenode and get realtime help from people who know.

Just install weechat from the official repositories. Start it with 'weechat'

write
/server add freenode chat.freenode.net
/connect freenode

then join channels with
/join ##linux,#arch

You might need to register a nick to write in ##linux. check the documentation on weechat for that. Most people here are just 12 year old windows 10 users. Or noobs like me. but on IRC you might get the people who actually code ARC or who have coded Gnome (there is a #gnome as well)
>>
>>52020227
>>52020141
My laptop has issues with Ubuntu for some weird reason. Probably Nvidia related.

>>52020212
Should i go for KDE?

>>52020234
Thank you, I will see that
>>
I had a similar problemas using debian gnome after installing NVIDIA drivers. What i did was log in as root and uninstall it with the same package
# nvidiasomething12345.deb --uninstall

Then restart and everything is fine (excepto of course the NVIDIA drivers. Still working in a solution)
>>
>>52020286
You might try it.
Anyway, you're not the only one with that problem, and it seemed to be related to the combination of Gnome and Nvidia drivers.
Though I'm surprised it's still around after months.
>>
File: 20151213_211503.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
20151213_211503.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1152
>>52020318
Forgot pic related
>>
>>52020286
no. i have a standard laptop with a intel chipset. its just bad coding. they want people to use and support their operating systems but the fucking system doesnt load past the install splash screen.
>>
File: linux - nvidia fuck you.jpg (19 KB, 497x280) Image search: [Google]
linux - nvidia fuck you.jpg
19 KB, 497x280
>>52020318
>>52020346
>>52020362
Couldn't agree more with Linus now.
>>
>>52020438
Well, only Gnome is known to have those problems, so why aren't you blaming them as well?
>>
>>52019659

newest xorg doesn't work with proprietary nvidia drivers. fedora 23 has the same problem. gnome 3 has always been a clusterfuck on Arch anyway, esp with binary drivers.
>>
>>52020510
>newest
That was already broken in August
>>
>>52020546

and still hasn't been fixed.
>>
>>52020563
Apparently so
>>
>>52020582

works fine on nouveau, at least on Fedora. I imagine it's the same for Arch. I bet if OP installs the open source drivers will fix his issue.
>>
>>52020607
Since it seems to be a problem between Gnome and official Nvidia drivers, switching one of the components out should help.

I'd rather switch DE than the drivers though.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.