[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does /g/ defend internet shopping? Literally the worst part
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 5
File: customer service.jpg (93 KB, 760x784) Image search: [Google]
customer service.jpg
93 KB, 760x784
Why does /g/ defend internet shopping? Literally the worst part of the technological revolution. You millennials don't support your local shops because you are too fat and autistic to leave your house meaning they have to close down and we have to put up with pic related. I only ever buy things online if I have no other choice because it is always waiting all day, chasing mis-delivered parcels, arguing with customer service just like today has been.
>>
On the contrary, I go to MicroCenter, Fry's, and Vintage Stock / Movie Trading Co all the time. If I can't find it locally, only then do I check Amazon.
>>
>I had a bad experience with something so it should stop existing
Nice thinking, fag.
>>
>>52016892
Microcenter > online all day everyday. Only time I shop online is if the local shop doesn't have it. Or I check online for local shop to price match
>>
>>52016892
I'm 39, married, nonfat, business owner...

We did 95 percent of our shopping online.

Maybe you should stop living in a shitty, muslim infested hellhole.
>>
>>52017020
Fck you too Christdiot
>>
>>52016892

>You millennials

Heh.

>support your local shops because you are too fat and autistic to leave your house

Brick and mortar stores are ordinarily more expensive than Amazon and other online retailers.

Remember circuit city/radio shack? Those two companies would overcharge for practically everything - they're both out of business now. Eventually normies caught on and capitalism won out.
>>
>>52016892
Seriously i hate you because either your baiting or you're too young.
Back when internet shopping wasn't a thing, you had to go through FAT catalogs (which you had to buy) to find something you need, then call the retailer and oh! They dont have the thing, good job, move on to the next retailer. Next one's not picking up the phone, too bad i guess? Move on to next, this guy is speaking in spanish. Move on to next, this guy has the thing in stock but wants 200% of the object you're buying for shipping somehow.
Now i just google something i want, pay the fucker and get my hands on the object without any trouble. I dont miss the old era at all, god bless the internet
>>
>>52017052
Fucking this

>need a bunch of 222 capacitors for a circuit
>go to local electronics store
>they dont have it
>tell them to import it for me
>week later i can finally buy it from them, for more than the cost because they got it just for me

>want a 222 capacitor
>go to online electronics store
>pay them
>3 days later i get the caps

Why would you prefer going to a store physically?
>>
33yo here
I'd pay more to Amazon so I don't have to got into a store.
>>
>>52017042
Everyone hates Muslims Anon. Not just Christians.
>>
>>52016892
I don't support my local shops because I can find better deals elsewhere.

For instance, I found a shop 30 miles away from home with cheaper gigabyte 280x's (2 years ago), and it was 40 euros cheaper than the ones in my city.
Internet shopping increased the competition.
>>
>>52017218
>33 years old
>he thinks he's not a millenial

I'm younger than you but don't fool yourself.
>>
>>52017052

This, 10/10 post right here.

Fuck local stores, they got their way on the 90s and some of them even made a good chunk of money and moved on onto the IT/Corporative business.
>>
>>52016892
I support Capitalism.

Whoever can deliver the best service to me for the lowest price is who I will use.
>>
>>52016892
My country has both competent mail and courier services so get rekt.
>>
>>52017042
>Christians hate you because of how you kept attacking Europe for centuries before they decided enough was enough and BTFO'd you during the crusades
>Hindus think your religion is downright satanic
>Atheists think your religion is like a crazier version if Christianity and Judaism
>Jews think you're a bunch of genocidal maniacs
Dislike for muslims is hardly a christian thing m8...
>>
>>52018241
>Jews think you're a bunch of genocidal maniacs
Everyone thinks they're a bunch of genocidal maniacs
>>
/Posting a picture of ParcelForce Worldwide reviews/

You're doing it wrong; the 'Unholy Trinity' is clearly 1. Yodel, 2. MyHermes and 3. UK Mail....in that order....
>>
>>52017051
Circuit city is alive and well in Canada.
>>
>>52016892
Local shops never have anything I want, much less the niche and expensive keyboard hardware and japanese anime dolls that I like to buy from time to time.

Just imagine being stuck in the early 90s as a buyfag.
It's just not going to happen.
>>
>>52016892
i Shop at walmart in person and buy everything else online.

SUE ME FGGT
>>
>>52017051
>Brick and mortar stores are ordinarily more expensive than Amazon and other online retailers.
probably because those retailers are trying to kill off brick and mortar by undercutting them so they eliminate as much competition as possible. Otherwise they'd charge the fuck out of people if they didn't care so much.
>>
>order parts from ebay
>shipped ups, signature required
>driver signs it himself, leaves it next to the door of my five story apartment building
Next delivery
>delivers it to my neighbor
>neighbor is high as fuck but figures out it's mine
>thanks neighbor
>>
>>52016892

Pretty funny you showed ParcelForce, I bought a christmas gift for my mum on the 17th and it only arrived this afternoon. The service was labelled "Express 24".
>>
>>52018241
>>52018266
Hadn't laughed on /g/ in a while...
>>
In the year 2015, there's no reason why local shops can't have an online presence.
>>
>>52016892
ha fucking ha sucks to be a europoor
>>
>>52018641
they don't need websites if they're "local". Defeats the object them being "local"
>>
>>52018641
>have retail shop
>paying for the building
>paying to have merchandise on hand
>paying taxes
you can't fucking compete with chink retailers who own nothing but a server and a warehouse full of merchandise.
>>
And what purpose is that? Being a hipster about your business?

Businesses that act like luddites deserve to fail.
>>
>>52018693
>you can't fucking compete with chink retailers who own nothing but a server and a warehouse full of merchandise.
I can
>Shitty knockoff branded products
>>
>>52016892
are we talking about shit like groceries or some "bigger" purchases?
groceries I buy at local shops, mostly because 1) there are a few on my way from work to home 2) I don't like buying tons of stuff, so I often just hop downstairs (there's literally a shop on the ground floor of my building) and get what I need.
bigger purchases? local shops do not have much choice, so if you're looking for something specific, you'll probably end up at some kinda Electronic-Super-Mart or whatever - in which case, why not save yourself the hassle and just order shit online? especially since quite often small companies are quite active on auction sites.
>>
>>52016943
Muh Dallas bro
>>
shopping online is too dangerous since everyone and their mother is on the internet now. i dont even have a bank account anymore. anon isnt getting shit from me. i'll drive to a store with cash in hand.
>>
I try to shop at brick and mortar stores. If I need to get something online I try a giftcard for Amazon or whatever.
>>
>be me
>never experienced any issues with shipping
>most of the time things get here earlier than expected
You must be doing something wrong.
>>
>>52019590
okay edward snowden
>>
Nearest micro center is in VA
>>
>>52016892
>ParcelFarce
Literally hitler.
>>
>>52019656

>>be me

Nah, go fuck yourself.
>>
>>52016892
>Why does /g/ defend internet shopping?
They don't. Amazon is a literal botnet and the reason people hate Ubuntu.
>>
Local shop can charge up to 30% more than online shop.
Example: I bought an HTC M8 from a German ebay store for about 300 $. My local Vodafone store sold them for about 450. Same thing for the Note models. If you buy from a local store you are paying the personnel salaries, the store estate rent, their taxes and so on. Online store doesn't need much staff, rent etc.
>>
I pay tax in a store. I don't from Amazon.
>>
>>52016892
>millennials
stopped reading
>>
physical retailers are cancer
>>
Because they overprice like motherfuckers.
Today I bought a Bluetooth dongle for less than a buck on Aliexpress, the fatass on my local store wanted 10 bucks.
>>
>>52024960
support your local businesses, you overentitled millennial trash
>>
>>52025147
>implying 'local businesses' aren't corporate-owned anyway
It would be different if Walmart hadn't eaten every small town in America before Amazon got big.
>>
Online shopping is one of the best parts of the internet revolution. I can pay Amazon a yearly fee and get unlimited video streaming, 2 day shipping on every purchase, and various other perks. I never have to leave my house, and all the delivery men fucking love me. Know why? Because I live in an area with low population density, they won't actually send in UPS trucks, they contract shit out to local guys who get paid based on how many packages they deliver or something. The delivery guy told my mother she was his new favorite person because of how much crap she buys on Amazon. So don't even give me shit about not supporting locals. We're putting food on at least 2-3 different delivery peoples' tables. Eat shit.
>>
>>52016892
>You millennials don't support your local shops because you are too fat and autistic to leave your house meaning they have to close down
good fucking riddance. I hate bricks-and-mortar stores, especially mom-and-pop operations. More expensive, I have to leave my house instead of having it shipped to me, salesman harassing me the moment I walk in, can't buy something outside of business hours. I literally cannot see one single advantage of physical stores, especially "small businesses", since 99% of the stuff I buy online gets delivered to my door without any incident.
>they're just selling at a loss to drive BnM stores out of business, then they'll raise prices!!
the free market has literally already fixed this, as you'd know if you ever comparison shopped between Amazon and Newegg.
>>
The ONLY brick and mortar places I miss are Blockbuster and other rental places. Redbox has made it less painful, but their video game selection is shit, and will probably always BE shit. Being able to try out games before buying them was really the best shit ever. Steam gives you a goddamn time limit on returning your game; the fucking time limit might be up by the time you download and install the shit if it's a big enough game.

Sometimes I even order groceries on Amazon with the Prime Pantry. They carry most of the non-perishable shit I need. I can just go to Walmart to buy milk, eggs, bread, and meat.
>>
File: catnip.jpg (106 KB, 750x653) Image search: [Google]
catnip.jpg
106 KB, 750x653
>sell shit at retail physical store
>need to pay rent for the commercial building
>need to pay your taxes
>need to pay your shitty lazy workers
>need to pay back 99% of the cost of item sold
>end up with teeny-tiny amount profit; enough to barely keep head above water
The only reason to buy shit from a physical retailer is the fact you can take advantage of returning your shit directly back to the store if it breaks.

>shitty customers swapping broken shit and new shit and returning it to get money back
>everybody returns the most expensive thing you have on the floor
>EVERYBODY
>the fuck do we do with all this broken shit
Even then, it certainly doesn't work in the retailer's favor.

>"this is bullshit we need more shekels"
>overprice the shit out of everything
Shit, what's the point if I could get it cheaper at store "X" or website "Y"?

>shit, losing customers
>shit, losing shekels
>let's price match, that'll reel 'em back in
That's (somewhat) more like it! I'll buy this and that, please.

>jesus christ, why did we even price match
>MUH SHEKELSSSSSSSSS
Look lol, they're going out of business. Time to ravage that clearance.

It's usually better to just be one fat autist with a ton of shit listed on eBay so you can stay home and make some money at the same time while you're masturbating.

Physical stores must be a fucking headache. All of this speculation came directly from my warm, heat-emitting anus.
>>
>>52016892
online shopping isn't killing brick and mortar shopping, brick and mortar shopping is.

>go to a store
>screaming kids and fat asses everywhere
>ask a question about a feature of a laptop
>18 year old sales clerk rolls her eyes
>um.. liek... i dunno lol it's got like a intel???
>nevermind then, i'll just pick up that HDMI cable i've been meaning to buy
>get stopped by an overeager salesman every 3 steps
>CAN I HELP YOU SIR OK SIR I'LL BE RIGHT HERE IF YOU NEED ANYTHING SIR
>spot the cable you were after
>$3000
>>
>>52016892
>too fat and autistic
Or more like too fucking financially pragmatic, we've twigged on that in order for a bricks and mortar shop to keep an item on a shelf taking up space and having to employ people to sell it they need to charge more.
Your pic related only shows what a bad courier looks like, i've ordered shit online for years and it only rarely goes wrong, amazon have one of the best customers services I've ever had to deal with.
All hail amazon.
>>
>>52016892
>don't support your local shops
There is no tangible reason as to why a local shop would be worth more to me than some non-local-internet-based shop.

They're just people, strangers to me in all cases.

You're a sheep that repeat what his parents says about "support muh local commerce" "support jobs in our country", a man is a man, a chinese guy is not worth less than an american man. A job is a job.

Stupid cunt.
>>
File: 129483989583.png (270 KB, 375x421) Image search: [Google]
129483989583.png
270 KB, 375x421
>Make an 800 dollar order on amazon
>Get a message saying that UPS has delivered my package
>Check doorstep
>itsfuckingnothing.jpg
>Call UPS and they confirm that the package has been delivered
>Tell them that I don't have it and they tell me that they will call me back in a few minutes
>Go check with a neighbor up the street who also had a packed delivered from UPS at the same time to make sure they didn't get it by accident
>Nope
>Check with my elderly neighbor 2 houses away from my
>They were holding my delivery the entire time waiting for me to get it back from them
>Almost lost 800 fucking dollars because my package got dropped off 2 houses away
Good thing I knew the people who lived there, god knows if i would have gotten it back if it were anybody else. Fuck UPS.
>>
>>52026266
if the package is important to you, you ask them to hold it at one of their locations, even if it costs you extra
>>
File: 1415689723390.jpg (48 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1415689723390.jpg
48 KB, 500x375
>>52026266
Should've still complained to your courier afterwards like this faggot >>52023582

Amazon would've replaced the whole fucking thing and you end up with two 800 dollar things.
>>
>order used K&R for $11 from amazon marketplace seller
>made extra sure that it was american copy and not designated shitting copy from India
>2 weeks pass
>book never arrives
>complain to amazon
>yeah, we need to email the seller and if he doesn't respond in 3 days, we'll process a refund
>wait 3 days
>complain again
>yeah it looks like he didn't respond, we'll just process your A-Z Guarantee claim right now
>i can process your refund right now by refunding you the purchase price of another item you bought previously, if you want, otherwise, you would have to wait 2 weeks
>"sure"
>ohhh i'm sorry, i can't proceed with giving you refund immediately because none of the items you have purchased in the last year have been from amazon.com, but from marketplace sellers
>i will submit your refund claim and you should receive your refund within 2-4 weeks after our investigation team gives the OK

shopping online is only cheaper if your time is worthless, holy shit
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.