[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm a technology illiterate shit but I need your help and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: 1450136192150s.jpg (5 KB, 250x214) Image search: [Google]
1450136192150s.jpg
5 KB, 250x214
I'm a technology illiterate shit but I need your help and sorry if I fuck up the terminology

I have an old laptop that was my brothers(he died) it's been fucked up since a Windows update gone bad so I had been running ubuntu live off when I use it because no Windows update disk

Since getting a smartphone I haven't used the laptop, I just like knowing it's here. but yesterday I received a DVD box set to a series that I had forgotten I loved and can only watch them on the laptop

I can access the hard drive and all files, I have 2 ubuntu iso saved. Lubuntu 14.04 and ubuntu 14.04, also ubuntu 11*.
Neither recognises the wireless broadcom driver (11 did but the one I saved was faulty) and I have no Ethernet connection or friend I can go to to get the latest distro or download the appropriate drivers. Without networking I can't download the appropriate drivers to watch the DVDs

I have 2 usb drives and blank dads at my disposal. I've tried copying the same iso I'm running into the home folder and then
sudo mkdir /media/cdrom 

CD ~
sudo mount -o loop ubuntu* /media/cdrom

Then in additional software I ticked all boxes but proprietary drivers and ticked broadcom driver in the additional drivers tab. When I hit apply changes it starts to then freezes.

I have two days off from work and kind of really just want to kick it and watch this show. Can you guys offer any ideas on how to fix this? Or should I just go out and buy a DVD player
>>
>>52016064
you could take your laptop somewhere with wired internet or use your smartphone on some public wifi (if you have low data) to download a windows iso on your phone, then transfer iso to laptop and make bootable flashdrive
you could also potentially tether your phone to your laptop over usb
getting an iso should be easy enough on an android phone, if you have an iphone then ios <=9.0.2 is jailbreakable
>>
Ubuntu is notorious for fucking up Broadcom wireless. You can get them to work but it will require some fixing.

Follow this link and hope it'll get you somewhere:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2155317
>>
>>52016219
>>52016172
Thanks. I'll try to download the iso onto my phone first. Seems like the easiest. How does the latest distro do with broadcom drivers?
>>
>>52016354
I dunno personally but it's possible linux mint could be a better option
>>
>>52016368
Okay, I'll try that. How is it different?
>>
>>52016385
mint is derived from ubuntu, so it'd be a similar experience for the most part

here's a decent comparison
http://www.howtogeek.com/208070/new-to-linux-dont-use-ubuntu-youll-probably-like-linux-mint-better/
>>
File: this one.png (7 KB, 636x117) Image search: [Google]
this one.png
7 KB, 636x117
>>52016498
I'd also recommend downloading the version with regular multimedia support
>>
>>52016498
Thanks for taking the time to respond. I'm down to try it but when I tried connecting my android to the laptop to transfer files and make room for the iso but it's not doing anything but charging
>>
>>52016576
got a working card reader and microsd?
>>
>>52016781
Oh wow, yes. Thanks! Transferring the files now.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.