[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Give me 5 valid reasons why I should use Linux Pro tip: you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 29
File: linux-logo-600x300.png (41 KB, 505x250) Image search: [Google]
linux-logo-600x300.png
41 KB, 505x250
Give me 5 valid reasons why I should use Linux

Pro tip: you can't
>>
1. You have a server that needs a server OS installed on it
2. You are in your teens and still learning about computers
3. You use it on the principle that if everybody used it the world would be a better place.
4. You're

nope. can't do it..
>>
>>52014388
not windows
not os x
not ios
not windows mobile
not palm os
>>
1 - Autoupdated software though repositories without having to update any single program
2 - Easy installation of new software
3 - No viruses
4 - Many Linux programs like Gimp, Vlc, OpenOffice, Eclipse etc run slower on Windows
5 - You can use Windows programs anyway thanks to wine

There are at least 1000 reasons to use it, and other 1000 to use Windows
>>
>>52014434
2&3 are BS
>>
>>52014434
it has no software to install though, unless you're talking CLI stuff.
>>
>>52014388
oh look it is this thread again....
>>
>>52014444
sudo apt-get install "program name", what's difficult about it?

I find way more difficult to download a program having to download it from a website, avoid ads, and pressing next 120 times and being careful about additional junk being installed.
>>
>>52014444
Yea, tons of people making viruses for an os no one use
>>
I don't need to give you anything. Make up your own mind and then kill yourself for being so stupid and indecisive.
>>
>>52014485
What if the program is not in the repo?
>>
steamos is no cli stuff
>>
>>52014508
Add the PPA and update, so like 2 more commands.

If no PPA, download it and install it manually. I don't see a problem
>>
>What if the program is not in the repo?

then you use AUR if you use Arch or Manjaro
>>
>>52014485

>2016
>Using the Terminal to do everything
>>
>>52014508
add a repo which contains the program? or either download and click on the .deb file to install it.
Still no additional adware or "next" clicks
>>
>>52014552
>2016
>Still retarded.
>>
>>52014485
have fun doing that to get NZBdrone to run on ARMel
>>
>>52014552
Sorry I have no time to learn about those 10 different bugged DE
>>
>>52014567
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/sonarr/
kill yourself.
>>
>>52014589
doesn't work. kill yourself
>>
>>52014388
Using a terminal based program and linux you can:

1)Make new file types unknown to any existing program (Create a new file type and make software to read it as you decide)

2) Completely customized your security at the entire network stack layer and not just application level, like windows does

3) You can auto-update you entire system using inbuilt bash commands which grab entire installed lists of programs (Faster then windows, somewhat similar but more efficient then unix due to internal command design)

4) You can completely change every aspect of the system. From security defaults to god mode configuration, NOTHING is permanent, unlike OSx and WIndows restricts users to not complete or do.

5) If you need a system which will always be on, always have high priority applications, be used in top reliability environments or serve to a very large request database, then linux (insert non arch distro here) will not die before the machine it is installed on. You can then configure hot swap and always have DA enabled.

Take from you fucking troll tarts. You are USING some variants of linux/unix system to just waste time and shit post of a anime fag loving board.

Take your bait and kill yourself OP.
>>
File: 91kVBNj.gif (2 MB, 420x380) Image search: [Google]
91kVBNj.gif
2 MB, 420x380
>>52014388
1. Comparatively close to system processes than other mainstream counterpart. You can "feel the heartbeat of your computer"
2. Easy to do and understand system programming
3. Tinker everything, the main source of 'fun' as opposed of games
4. Little or no chance of malware infection because of small userbase
5. Choice of putting together your very own operating system from the scratch with precisely what softwares/features you need - faster performance
6. Wider choice of themes
7. If privacy is what you seek, GNU/Linux is a very good choice
8. Installing softwares are easy if you are not afraid of writing a single line of code in terminal
>>
>>52014627
sounds great. i'll be sure to use it if i ever get around to buying a server farm
>>
>>52014627
Correct,

windows does not grab installed programs. Just default programs that require windows updates.

Sorry bout that.
>>
>>52014631
With that said, Linux is terrible for
- A user with no internet connection
- A user with no ability to adopt to newer variables
- A gamer/Audio or video content creator
>>
>>52014631
>1. Comparatively close to system processes than other mainstream counterpart. You can "feel the heartbeat of your computer"
if that's the case, OSX, iOS is closer to the heartzbeetz then, as Metal removes the OpenGL overheadd form everything
>>
>>52014418
>not palm os
Literally fucking kill yourself you reddit manchild neckbeard nigger.
>>
>>52014388
Responding to this obvious bait fuck knows why

1. Package manager
2. No viruses
3. No forced updates/0-day patches Windows Update style
4. Better customization (different DEs, WMs, etc.)
5. More stable
>>
>>52014460
Why do you think they make graphical installers?
>>
>>52014668
OSX is the most secretive OS our there, don't meme
>>
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. Yes
5. Depends on the OS, if something such as Debian then yes.
>>
>>52014685
out*
>>
ONE REASON
CHEAP SERVERS

CHEAP SERVERS
>>
>>52014434
>There are at least 1000 reasons to use it
Post them.
>>
>>52014696
detected the underage
>>
>>52014651
Oh yeah. So when will you return your router then.

Due to costs of using unix outer hardware production will use a customized linux based system.

For that purpose your most likely with get something that focuses more on routing and routing features.

I should had also said it is well suited with routing. If you don't own cheap cunt quality hardware, it will never require a restart.

My router runs Netlinux which is a non gui netOS system customized. It has been online since I got it. 1.3 years and 0 restarts.
>>
>>52014685
yeah damn straight. they are trying to change laws just so apple are forced to give up user info like every other company does. but apple refuses
>>
>>52014485
>sudo apt-get install "program name", what's difficult about it?
How do I find out the name of the program?
>>
>>52014708
no idea what you just said but i think you though i was serious when i said i was wanting to get a server farm?
>>
>>52014696
Free servers you mean.

As for the hardware, you will need to pay at least the price of a Pi for a server.

Correct me if Pi is not the cheapest server/computer hardware available.

There is always free old computers but they still costs money to obtain by the old owners.
>>
>>52014726
How much money are you being paid to shill the whole day, Jack? I gave OP 8 reasons and all you are doing are memes and shills
>>
>>52014508
What if theres no installer for windows? Installing or compiling non-packaged windows software is much more effort than installing non-packaged linux software.

Installing packaged Linux software is also less effort than installing windows software from setup. On top of that, packages also offer tons of additional features winfags couldnt even dream of, like automatically pulling debugging info or the exact source code corresponding to the current version, streamlined and standardized meta data, centralized software update mechanisms, signed packages from verified sources rather than binsry blobs downloaded over unencrypted http, reproducible builds. Packages even follow the system guidelines, cause repositories are owned by the distributions, which have harsh quality guidelines.

No matter how you look at it, the concept of package managers is just superior to setup files. Even if you cared about none of that, you could still use RPMs exactly like regular setups.
>>
>>52014738
Nah. As you can tell, I type fast while also adding extra lines to my comment. As of that reason I made mistakes. I feel sorry you had to read that. I feel bad. But not as bad as the OP of this threads bait.
>>
>>52014727
how do you find out how to put in sudo apt get install? how do you know what terminal is? Lots of fucking googling . If you use linux, get used to it
>>
>>52014727
Use tab for autocomplete
>>
>>52014743
where did i meme or shill?
>>
>>52014508
You get the source and compile it.

You get the tar and extract the binary into a format your system understands.

You run it on docker

You compile it as a binary.exe file and hack the system to turn into linux which will then turn into a distro which will then allow you to run anything from source.
>>
>>52014767
>Lots of fucking googling
Wow must take some extensive research to know what package manager your distro uses, the fucking distro you just downloaded
>>52014774
ITT: Apple
Several other threads: Apple
Please come up with a matured agreement.
>>
>>52014388
You instantly become snowflake fedora hackzor and fuck all bitches
>>
>>52014802
you have to find out what sudo, apt-get are, and the arguments you can use with them ect. this is a few hours after the user has likely been searching for every modern way to install the software first. Terminal is a last resort for 90% of tasks, and for damn good reasons.
>>
>>52014726
You know nothing. At some point you do need to sight privacy act. They can give people your tracking and web browsing habbits. They cannot however give out your location in terms of address, phone number, bank details.

If someone has that info then yourself is to blame. You trusted poor security somewhere, or released the information yourself but using facebook. Facebook of which can push privacy further since it can claim a user account to be fake and of no value. For that purpose they can sell user data and a legal data-mine application.
>>
>>52014827
Jesus if you don't know how package managers work, you'd search "how to install VLC on ubuntu" instead "how to install VLC with apt-get"
>>
>>52014828
various government agencies request stuff like messages, emails, etc. Every other company gives this data up, as they legally have to. Apple cannot actually do this though, as they just can't access this data. they don't have a key to get into encrypted messages. and there is no back door. UK is trying to change the laws so that apple are forced to have a key or a backdoor
>>
>>52014819
I can confirm. Since using debian, I get my special parts rubbed and my nob sucked off while I use black and white terminal to search the man files for programs in a distro.

>man - k partition
>man -k gparted | grep 5
>>
i dont use linux, osx here, but.
1.its free
2.it will continue to be updated longer than osx will for my laptop i assume the same for windows
3.powerful free software such as youtube-dl or ffmpeg which if you do not use then you should be in the process of setting up a noose
4.more secure than osx or windows against viri and malware(because they don't exist) same way switzerland or ireland are safe countries because they have no enemies
5.runs better than standard os on any computer due to being lightweight on resources,will extend the usability lifetime of any computer.
>>
>>52014851
but you wouldn't blindly enter commands into terminal without understanding them first, would you?
>>
>>52014853
Listen to yourself.

Apple uses Unix. Unix is a server system.
They dressed a Unix system up to be a polished shit whole for swagsters.

Create a whole is UNIX. HAHAHAHA. what else are they going to do. Force unix to make a whole in a system which costs 100grand and more a year to have licensing for.
>>
>>52014767
Doesn't work. How do I find out the name in the repository.

>>52014773
Auto complete what?
>>
>>52014767
Your dong it wrong!
Package manager search, man pages, distro introduction, use the wiki
>>
>>52014877
>Create a whole is UNIX
the fuck this means?
>>
>>52014858
extended licensing for windows is 7. CentOS is 10 years. Redhat is 15 (Based on support)

Linux is well supported giving you are not using a polished desktop distro like ubuntu. Which might I add is a server OS that WILL break if you trust it for anything other then watching anime on.
>>
>>52014863
I did because I was able to follow instructions. There is a first time for everything, Jack
>>
>>52014877
i don't see how your post is a response to mine
>>
>>52014897
If you break any part of unix the system degrades to a very UN-usable system. I am use to refering to UNIX as a unified system. A Whole system.

I meant hole where appropriate. Sorry about that whole text.
>>
>>52014895
so read the manual basically? The last manual i read was for some version of MS Dos. I havent'' needed one since.
>>
>>52014905
It just is mate.

Also you spoke about the UK government trying to make a hole in the UNIX system so they can release personal data.

The reason why windows and google can release data is because they designed their systems from the ground up.

To save money apple took a unix system and customized it to make the current shitty named OS. Underneath it runs the heart of unix.
>>
>>52014900
enter "sudo -R nano --debug del c:/windows/sys32" into your linux terminal then. It hacks apple and gives you iTunes
>>
>>52014937
i never said anything of the sort. iMessage is fully encrypted, like most of apples stuff, and there is no key or backdoor. this doesnt' relate to unix in any way at all.
>>
>>52014944
Yeah, the wiki does not troll people. Think clearly.
>>
>>52014944
fuck it worked!

Thanks OP. I never knew this worked.

You saved my life mate.
>>
>>52014962
i don't trust losers who contribute to linux wikis though.
>>
>>52014924
fucking incoherent junkie the fuck out of this board
>>
>>52014975
>Trust issues
Found your problem
Try opening up and learn to take a leap sometimes Jack. There is no way wiki moderators will allow malicious instructions for their audience
>>
>>52015000
just filter this tripfag
>>
>>52014924
Well why would we want whole words when we were wondering what was wrong with with writing who would win.
>>
File: 1410176406893.jpg (121 KB, 872x960) Image search: [Google]
1410176406893.jpg
121 KB, 872x960
1.It's a good waste of time.
2.Makes you think you're better than le sheeple
3.You can run gmaes that came out for windows and OSX years ago.
4.You can rice out your desktop to the point it's unusable
5.it's free
>>
>>52015000
what is the benefit for me in opening up and trusting linux wiki moderators? What is the reward? There is no reason to go through that battle just to use a subpar OS with no software. for consumer use i mean
>>
1. More customizable.
2. Isn't spying on you (better privacy).
3. Is more lightweight.
4. Is open source:
- vulnerabilities are patched out quickly and efficiently
- code is free to be built on and modified for personal use
- promotes a healthy practice for developing software
5. Few viruses due to community patching out security flaws.
6. It's free, both libre and gratis.
7. Distros like Debian Stable are more rock-solid stable than other OSes.
8. Package managers allow you to install software easily and efficiently.
9. Most distros are more frequently updated and adhere to a predictable release schedule (rolling release, bleeding edge, etc.)
10. Has lots of helpful community support for it.

There. I gave 10 reasons which I think are valid.
>>
>>52014961
Do you understand the easiest way to get a key for encrypted text?

Monitor the user of the system and send it home to add into a databased,

Windows reports all generated random keys and logs it into a shadow like file (One I do not care about since I use linux).

It is hard for user generated keys to be located, even if a governments fucks you in the ass to do.

I speak about UNIX because the only way for apple to find keys without brute force is to

>Key log
>Log generated keys as they are put into a digest
>Track user entries while generating text keys

As UNIX does not allow this by default, apple will be required to make a montior whole is all god protection modules.

This is like spying on your own system.

I say this since the UK government wanting this information is going to breach the UNIX foundation to do. Apple are jews. They WILL NOT invest that time and money into changing UNIX.
>>
>>52015032
Why are you trusting your closed-source softwares then? Why are you so sure that they are constantly keeping you on a watch? Why do you think your cloud documents are private? Why do you think your girlfriend's snapchats are private?
>>
>>52014982
I'd say the same to you but you are clearly slow and retarded.

How can text, in any type and form, display if I am using needles or am addicted to drugs?

I can only suggest you fuck off before we waste time adding to this waste of time conversation.
I mean this thread was made by a troll. Want to add to it while wasting a few hours you fucking retarded.
>>
>>52015045
Unix can have a backdoor as wide as your mothers anus in it, and iMessage can still be completely inaccessible. It's a seperate encryption.
>>
>>52015028
>1.It's a good waste of time.
Linux in one sentence.
Top kek NEETs
>>
>>52015056
I don't give a shit honestly. But i'm not putting terminal commands in that i don't understand. that's just common sense. I don't have time to reformat or fix shit if i fuck something up.
>>
>>52015021
I was about to, then I thought I might as well have some fun with an apple shill
>>
>>52015062
>Unix can have a backdoor as wide as your mothers anus in it

Are you 15 by any chance. Come man. This is a fucking adult site. Let the adults talk honey and I will make time to talk to you on chattabait.
>>
>>52015061
an hero
>>
>>52015075
>terminal commands in that i don't understand
>my time is valuable

typical macfag, maybe you could read up a bit on it next time you're sitting in starbucks drinking your pumpkin spice latte like a fag
>>
>>
>>52014388
>You're special
>You're important
>your choice of IS matters to everyone else
>>
File: YOU_MAD.jpg (30 KB, 322x245) Image search: [Google]
YOU_MAD.jpg
30 KB, 322x245
>>52015092
>>
>>52015075
So you are saying you trust your private data to just about anyone including foreign governments and cannot trust an official wiki of a distro moderated by the people who are working hard to enlarge their userbase?
You, sir, have critical issues in cognitive ability, not even joking.
>>
>>52015092
when ever i have a need to use terminal, i do just that at my local starbucks with a iced skinny latte and a butt plug in place.

I use stuff where this is a last resort though
>>
>>52015111
checked
>>
>>52015074
Hmm maybe your ISP will use windows to run their core network machines.

HAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHA you fucking retard.

>Come back
But hurt redneck?
Neckbeard?

Maybe something original as a come back?

Regardless. I am right you are wrong.
>>
>>52015111
one day I will take a dick and enjoy.

I will open a terminal and use super user for the entire session will some object enjoys my ass at the same speed as open 20 sub shells in bash

~ said anon as he wrote a hacker quote
>>
>>52014631
>>52014662
No one interjecting me? Nice
>>
>>52015104
1. I don't trust linux users in general as i question their mental state
2. Even if a wiki article is "legit", it can still be outdated or incorrect cor your special snowflake of linux system you're on. Many times i've followed guides that don't work. it' wouldn't be a stretch for then to sometimes fuck shit up as well.
3. Did you miss the part where foreign governments cannot currently get access to apple user's data? Linux has a backdoor though.
>>
>>52015131
What?

Something about OP talking dicks?
In star bucks?

Thats all I got out of that.
>>
1. fun
2. easy
3. customizable
4. sturdy
5. fast

Now go and install Linux.
>>
File: tipsfedora.jpg (116 KB, 1252x1252) Image search: [Google]
tipsfedora.jpg
116 KB, 1252x1252
>>52015113
>I use GNU/linux as my desktop operating system
>>
>>52015138
>Linux has a backdoor though

ONE BACKDOOR FITS ALL
ONE BACKDOOR FITS ALL
ONE BACKDOOR FITS ALL

said by anon who also thinks all scripts work on all linux kernels.

Get the fuck out of here retard.
>>
>>52015172
Text is original, image is a typical windows fag users who does nothing but browses the net in a mode that deletes cookies after use"

You typical /g/tard
>>
>>52015138
>wiki is outdated
>wiki is doesn't say it's outdated
>wiki is so outdated you cannot even follow it to run $sudo pacman -S ufw

> governments cannot currently get access to apple user's data
>anyway a script kiddie hacks icloud and leakes nsfw pictures

>linux has a backdoor
>OSX doesn't even have anything close to this in the same context
>>
>>52015138
It's like the more you post the more you are showing you ignorance and lack of ability to learn
>>
File: cool_fedora8-1024x1024.jpg (184 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
cool_fedora8-1024x1024.jpg
184 KB, 1024x1024
>I use GNU/Linux because I am not a sheep
>*fires up 30 GB moeshit*
>>
>>52015189
Your post gave me cancer.

But I use to use windows 8.1 as a every day OS. Any day now, the doctor will ring and tell me I have incurable cancer and should end myself while getting high.
>>
File: 1450837037416.jpg (2 MB, 2000x1200) Image search: [Google]
1450837037416.jpg
2 MB, 2000x1200
>>52015204
your*
>>52015172
>>52015205
Picture related
>>
>>52015176
i said neither of those things. I'm taking about following a wheezy guide on a wheezy system and it clearly being wrong for instance. And linux has a backdoor. feds aren't complaining about not having access to linux users data. Pedos get raided all the time, and i would assume they all use linux
>>
>>52014485
Dont forget
sudo aptitude install "name"
>>
give me 1 good reason why I shouldn't and I'll give you 5 good reasons why you should
>>
>>52015211
Well meeme'd, /b/ now close this tab
>>
File: linshitusers.png (144 KB, 900x1500) Image search: [Google]
linshitusers.png
144 KB, 900x1500
>>52015216
triggered freetard? :^)
>>
>>52015204
teach me then. I AM CAPABLE OF LEARNING YOUR WAYS. I just will probably still think your ways are retarded is all
>>
>>52015233
>LEARNING YOUR WAYS
How about learning how to read a wiki? That's a good place to start :^)
>>
>>52015233
man bash
>>
>>52015230
How do I follow a /g/ user advise?

I thought that advise was for google and non retards?

I am strongly confused about this
>>
File: foxgrapes.jpg (234 KB, 688x1434) Image search: [Google]
foxgrapes.jpg
234 KB, 688x1434
>>52015216
>I-I don't need games. THEY ARE FOR CHILDREN
>>
>>52015232
I have broken all those rules. 1) to start with.

If I need it. IT WILL WORK for me. I will program I solution or fix my shit.

As for freetard, I use paid software on linux. I do pay for software like sublime text.

Take your low quality downloaded image post, and fuck off to the home page to make a fail thread that got one reply saying faggot, retarded,or some other shit.
>>
File: games.jpg (5 KB, 165x78) Image search: [Google]
games.jpg
5 KB, 165x78
>>52015267
over half my games run on linux, the ones i play regularly do and the ones i don't run fine in wine anyway
>>
File: 1448908077578.png (2 MB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1448908077578.png
2 MB, 1024x768
>>52015232
>>52015267
>If something doesn't work, I will not read the wiki, I'll whinge
>If there are choices of distros, I will not explore it
>I will install HURRDURR ULTIMATE INTERNET SECURITY ( :^) edition ) and browse shit tier websites anyway
>I cannot use a terminal, it's a sin
>lol wikis, what are they?
>I will expect linux to be same as OSX, just with different themes
>I am over 18
>CoD MASTER RACE REPORTING IN
>Why cannot I download and install a software?
>>
>>52015240
i know how to read wikis. Anything else you want to teach me?

>>52015243
I learn it on a "need to learn basis" like the first time i used apt-get, i followed a guide. then i started thinking "hmm is XYC_2.43" still the latest version? how can i search for similar packages? etc. and so i learn't a bit about apt-get and how to search etc. This is the same way i've learn't to do basic scripting, and web development. It's not rocket science. It's just how much time you have spare to spend on reading

There's no reason for me to read a full manual.
>>
>>52015320
>Anything else you want to teach me
yes, typing them in a terminal and do what the wiki says, apparently
>>
File: elementary-appcenter.png (769 KB, 1313x898) Image search: [Google]
elementary-appcenter.png
769 KB, 1313x898
Freetards think this looks good
>>
>>52015320
you said you wanted to learn, so stop being a lazy macfag and read the manual
>>
File: 1450557655624.png (660 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1450557655624.png
660 KB, 1920x1080
>>52015334
MS shills think this looks good
>>
>>52015334
All Linux distros are ugly shit. No amount of autistic ricing will make them look good.
>>
>>52015267
I don't enjoy playing games. The games I do enjoy have always supported almost all platforms. Including UNIX, sun systems.

As for your attempt to add to this linux hate thread, I should speak about the typical /g/ user.

Sometimes /g/ users download images, post as original cunt posters, then play off as if they have a job, have strong well enforce opinions by technical experience, or which has had invested paid work to conclude to.

Maybe some of us accept that linux is different to other operation systems. OSx can do something windows and Linux cannot do while windows can do stuff that others cannot.

Get over it you /v/tard.
>>
>>52015334
I prefer that over windows.

I honestly enjoy windows, Linux. I use them both for different tasks. Always enjoyed the gnome 3 looked. Just my opinion that you should not care about too much. I too don't take care about what you think and conclude to.
>>
>>52015332
last time i did that was for nzbdrone/sonarr on a RN202. No guide worked, and the closest thing i could find to being right was a forum post telling someone they needed to complete mono lite first so that the newer mono compiler can then compile the newer mono-complete. I eventually found a more convenient way to do it though. but if i just did everything wikis told me to do i wouldn't have sonarr running on my NAS
>>
>>52015354
Linux is useless timesink for losers like you.
>>
>>52015354
Found the unemployed NEET.
>muh weebshit ricing is productive
>>
>>52015348
Citation?

Going to need about 100k of real peoples confirming your opinion means anything other then personal preferences.

Maybe you should say all OS look like shit. Free or paid. This would be just as valid as your opinion since more then myself would agree. Wouldn't make it fact would it retard.
>>
>>52015340
no i wanted to learn why linux users think using the terminal and following wiki article is practical on distributions targeted at end users such as ubuntu?

And why do linux users never fix things that switchers complain about? they just deny it's an issue. Like can you even change mouse scroll wheel speed in the Ubuntu UI yet?
>>
File: FileOpenDialog.png (179 KB, 648x487) Image search: [Google]
FileOpenDialog.png
179 KB, 648x487
>Linux will never have this
>>
>>52015334
BTW, what's the point in making a new DE when a simple GNOME extension could make it look the same?
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-20_06-37-36.png (1 MB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-20_06-37-36.png
1 MB, 1366x768
>>52015348
At least they literally make their system look like literally what they want
This picture here is just everything I wanted my system to look like, it's not about being good or bad, it's about being able to cater to your own needs.
>>
You get to be a fedora beta cuck libtard
>>
Somebody has hacked into my 4chan account and is posting under my name btw. Be sceptical of any of my posts that don't demonstrate expertise on the subject matter
>>
>>52015412
i bet you are the kind of guy who thinks this >>52015413 looks just like unity
>>
>>52015400
Because most people enver grew up with unix, they grew up with the vastly inferior windows, they don't have the advantage of it being intuitive. The fact of the matter remains is that if you're unfamiliar with the superior product, and you want to understand it, you need to learn it.

It's like americans and their automatic gearboxes, stick shift is vastly superior in every way but they all learned the shit way.
>>
>>52015426
>Somebody has hacked into my 4chan account

>>52015434
Did I ever say "it looks like unity"?
>>
>>52015434
It does actually
>>
>>52015447
ok lets say somebody reads the manual for ubuntu 200 times. What is the result? There is no software to use anyway
>>
>>52015374
Said the guy who sent packets from a router using linux.

But hey, you linux haters hate linux so much that you forget over half the internet uses it.

Your ISP is one example. They could be using a custom linux system due to its costs, or Red Hat linux.

As for technical experience.

I have operated Red Hat linux machines for over 3 years. During that time I have developed automating systems that would release servers into a cluster configuration and then pool resources together using simple binded configuration files on each system completely independent from the packages installed past the kernal (Not software pooled).

In those 3 years I have earned 190k and have a contract for the next 5 years. I personally would not say my opinion is worth more then yours, but at least I can say linux is important in all our lives. For those who use the Internet explicitly.
>>
>>52015447
>It's like americans and their automatic gearboxes, stick shift is vastly superior in every way but they all learned the shit way.

you grow out of manuals in road cars just like you grow out of games. You probably won't think you will, but one day, you will wake up, and designs that you just don't give a shit about a manual transmission anymore
>>
File: linshitstillugly.jpg (273 KB, 2052x1901) Image search: [Google]
linshitstillugly.jpg
273 KB, 2052x1901
>>52015488
We're talking about desktop Linux and it being useless garbage.
>>
>>52015488
nobody is denying linux is great on servers and cash registers
>>
>>52015472
>Oh okay I kinda lost my point in not using the wiki
Moving on,
>Where is my photoshop?
>>
>>52015472
linux != ubuntu, learn the distribution agnostic stuff and you'll be able to handle most posix compliant environments

you learn this stuff the old fashioned way, by using the manpages as and when you need them
>>
>>52015521
we have moved on from the wiki as i clarified that for end users, making them have to google direction just to install something is pants on head retarded.
>>
>>52015496
nobody in europe drives auto and we all know europe is superior
>>
>>52015426
Use tripcode
>>
>>52015512
Jack, it's about time you stopped posting inaccurate memes, you know full well linux doesn't look like a terminal, there are GUIs
>>
>>52015532
ok lets address each linux distribution individually then...

Isn't ubuntu kinda the spearhead of linux communities attempt at an OS for normies?
>>
>>52015551
tripcode is not my name though. my name is Jack :/
>>
>>52015565
>>52015575
all me :^)
>>
>>52015545
If there is any problem in your installation, you read the wiki, it's plain simple. You must be retarded to think everytime people installs something they have to read wiki.
>>
>>52014662
In a professional animation environment, the workstations run Windows and the render farms run Linux.
Audio professionals still have a reason to use osx because of software support and the fact that windows audio stack fucking sucks.
Professional photo editors and photographers use windows for software support and 10 bit color monitors. Nvidia's proprietary drivers support 10 bit color on Linux, but otherwise you're going to use windows.

About the internet connection part... How would you survive on windows better than you do on Linux? You can still bring source code and packages via USB or CD/DVD, and you have almost perfect documentation of the system in man pages and --help switches.
>>
>>52015561
that wasn't me my account was hacked. only 50% of jack posts here are mine. Disregard any posts that don't demonstrate verified expertise in computers
>>
>>52015583
this one too :^D
>>
>>52015565
There was a time when it was for normies, until canoical fucked it up and tried to move away from what made debian great
>>
>>52015585
it is retarded to ever have to google how to install something in 2015
>>
>>52015512
Who didn't know that.

Although even on the clustered servers we use a windowed GUI. For the soul purpose of managing possible fork bombs.

The cluster pool will produce 25k worth of sub shells every second. We use the Windowed DE to prevent subshells since we direct it to the DE and limit it to two sub shells.
Reason is simplified solution, effective management.

As for using linux for a full blown desktop. You are very ill informed about linux desktop and desktop based distros.
>>
>>52015590
>my account was hacked
It's now fair to doubt your ability to learn and follow something, isn't it?
>>52015604
How did you acquire and install your first software?
>>
>>52014552
Even Microsoft has reverted to a terminal for Exchange due to the ease of automating large tasks.
>>
>>52014552
>being afraid of terminal
>>
>>52015513
I'm sorry what!?

You understand that windows is also based on their windows server product lines. Less security, less hardening, missing functions, features, software product, but still uses the same application of hyperv.

I always try to understand linux haters but you guys make it hard to find valid reason for the linux hate. It is always compared to windows. Guys windows USES hyperV as their core system.

It's like saying visualization is not a server functions but a normal OS.

Windows server = driving the car
Windows desktop = the car drives for you (HyperV used since windows 7)
>>
>>52015642
This, why do you think MS are going so hard with powershell
>>
>>52015620
my first software technically was a commodore 64. but i didn't begin to tinker with stuff until we got a 286. I think i formatted it a few times and couldn't work out how to get a reinstall of dos bootable again. a few trips to the pc store to get it fixed and then from then on i've never needed help for anything related to computers since. I think it was acceptable to have to read manuals in those days though, as there wasnt' a better alternative.
>>
>>52015660
Linux desktop = All consumer software is garbage
>>
>>52015675
>couldn't install DOS

can't take the b8 anymore m8, im out of here
>>
>>52015660
leave windows out of this. it has it's own problems. I'm not sure what you are taking about though. I was saying linux is great on servers if i was being unclear. It would be a great consumer OS if it was still the 1990s as well i guess. It has not software though and Windows and OSX are much more intuitive
>>
>>52015675
>a C64
nice first software. Did you ever even needed to read the manual for this? Must be pretty intuitive, hey?
>>
>>52015686
so you were born with the knowledge require to make dos bootable? I must have been dropped on my head as a child because i missed that chromozone
>>
>>52015704
Have*
>>
>>52015704
More than Linux.
>>
>>52015727
>More than
>Being comparative
>>
>>52015704
1. I didn't need to read the manual as i only loaded games from the tape deck at the time, and somebody must have showed me how to do that.
2. I think linux should have higher standards than being as intuitive as a c64 cbqh
>>
>>52015676
Linux uses open project software which in my opinion have developed very stable system software.

Since when did close source software automatically mean open source software has less functions or is not worth the same, if not more?

You do know that openssh and open ssl is used by both apple and windows right?

Linux and the distros arranged from it also use other free projects. Most are funded by google. Open SSH is heavily funded by google, redhat funds docker, this will be introduced into the server client and server os in windows. Linux already uses this.
>>
>>52015035
>2. Isn't spying on you (better privacy).
Do you people seriously believe this? Why?
Guess what, you're the sheeple too.
>>
>>52015736
>somebody must have showed me

Well, my goal was pointing out the fact that you have to read manual to use a new piece of technology or anything. If you have never heard of a specific structure/design, you'd have to learn how to use it from the maker
>>
>>52015720
Of course I wasn't born with the knowledge but playing with the system taught me how it worked, I must have been 11 or 12 when I did my first reinstall - you've obviously had no interest in learning since the early days

I started out similarly, a ZX Spectrum 128k and a C64
>>
>>52015767
You can easily disable the stuff that you feel is spying on you, and your settings will stay persistent throughout updates.
>>
>>52015768
/thread
>>
>>52015768
the only manual i've read in the last decade was probably for my fitbit, and that is a flaw of their setup design.
>>
>>52015776
i would have been less than 10 probably when i started fucking around with a 286. I've learn't more about computers every day since then. used every windows version, had various stages of thinking it would be a good idea to tweak every possible thing i can, and setting everything from auto to manual. Ricing the shit out of stuff, I basically finished Windows, it is beneath me now. as are ATX towers. i haven't spent much time with linux, i used to try out every ubuntu release for a while there, but quickly formatted as it showed zero promise. Everything i've learn't about unix has been from hackintoshing mostly,
>>
>use software that isn't targeted at yourself
>complain when you don't like it
>>
>>52015892
ubuntu was targeted at me every time i gave it a try
>>
>>52015901
>ubuntu was targeted at me
Against my better judgement, how so?
>>
>>52015814
can you at least use a secure trip so i can finally hide your posts? you are annoying as hell.
>>
>>52015960
It was advertised at normies and people open to windows vista alternatives
>>
>>52015985
just filter Jack. Only I can post with this name as i just reset my password for it.
>>
>>52015985
oh and you read manuals? Why?
>>
>package managers aren't an after though
>dynamically linked libraries(good for security and performance)
>sane hierarchic model (good for security)
>more performant
>more stable
>open source, so you can modify parts of it
>more customisable
>most good software is created on Linux for Unix-like operating systems and then ported to wangblows (eg: ffmpeg)
>it's not wangblows
>it doesn't steal your data
>you can make it look how you want, which can be considerably better than any other operating system depending on your taste
>superior font rendering with freetype, infinality, and fontconfig-ultimate

I can think of hundreds more.
>>
>>52015988
>advertised at normies
For them to do what?
>>
File: 5c12cAF.png (242 KB, 402x601) Image search: [Google]
5c12cAF.png
242 KB, 402x601
>>52014444
how is typing
sudo apt-get program
so difficult for you?

oh wait, i forgot... you like everything being DONE FOR YOU! nevermind then, keep using windows then.
>>
>>52016036
>>it doesn't steal your data
nice meme
>>
>>52016050
for them to use something better than vista at the bare minimum i guess was their tactic
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-23_16-32-30.png (73 KB, 954x527) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-23_16-32-30.png
73 KB, 954x527
>>52016005
there are things called jack i am interested in. for example: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/JACK_Audio_Connection_Kit
>>52016019
i'm not the same dude you meant with the question but manuals are useful as hell, this way you can learn about stuff in very little time, pic related it's the man page for ffmpeg
>>
>>52016052
It doesn't. You COULD install unity and not disable the web services, but then again, you could also purposely install trojans on your wangblows machine.
>>
>>52016069
you filter gay linux shit at the same time then. win:win
>>
>>52016069
oh i thought you meant physical manuals. i use the help menu in OSX rarely. Never anything on iOS. Nothing i do requires a readme file or anything though.
>>
>>52015411
thank god i don't have that ugly as fuck text rendering

holy SHIT that is awful
>>
>>52016159
Autism. Meanwhile GTK file picker still doesn't have thumbnails.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-23_16-43-47.png (113 KB, 954x527) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-23_16-43-47.png
113 KB, 954x527
>>52016127
>help menu
you don't use it because on both mac os 10 and on windows the help/manuals are shit or not existant. on GNU/Linux you just type man <program name> and learn basically everything about it. if you only need to know some usage you type <program name> -help and get options, pic related it's ffmpeg -help.
>>
>>52016169
seriously though, windows rendering is terrible in general, but whoever OK'd that text in the search box should be banned from India
>>
>>52016195
when i use ffmpegx (which is shit) i don't need any help though as the UI is intuitive (but total shit to OS X standards)
>>
>>52016169
>not being able to patch your browser to show tumbnails in the file-chooser or just drag and drop from your file manager
>>
>>52016195
>reading through awfully formatted tl;dr is acceptable in any way
>this is what freetards actually believe
>>
>>52014388
You don't need to use linux, really.
>>
>>52016249
>>patch your browser
>having to patch basic functionality on your own
>>
>>52014485
>all distros are debian/ubuntu
>>
There is no reason. Stay on your shitty Windows because that’s what you deserve.
>>
>>52016271
>all distros are debian/ubuntu
linux would probably be half decent it only had one distro
>>
>>52016258
>>52016276
>w-we don't want you anyway
[hipsters internally]
>>
>>52016255
you can't save 1000+ man pages in .odf on any OS anon, that would be a huge amount of wasted space. it's called decent documentation, ever used github?
>>52016288
>not knowing how upstream works
>>52016271
>same command with one word changed makes everything harder

Jack you are a faggot, you ignore everything you could learn from while constantly throwing around memes you don't even understand.
>>
>>52016336
only one of those posts was from a verified expert. the others were hackers.

But you cannot seriously argue that 1000 people working on 100 distros is not as efficient as 1000 people working on 10 distress. sure there is shared stuff, but lots of reinventing the wheel as well
>>
>>52016412
the people that actually develop (upstream) don't work for one specific distro, they work on programs that can then be used by distro maintainers to be implemented in a certain way in some distro (downstream).
>>
>>52016606
even just creating seperate websites for each distro is wasted resources.
>>
>>52016632
that's why small distros usually use github or something similar. see: https://github.com/Sabayon/sabayon-distro
>>
>>52016652
somebody selects what gets added to that small distro. wasted resources.
>>
>>52014388
>Give me 5 valid reasons why I should use Linux

you shouldn't because you sound like a moron.
>>
>>52016659
>specialization is wasting resources
i thought indians like you know better than this.
>>
>>52016688
you can customise your character in Skyrim more than i can customise my install of ubuntu during setup. I can tweak apple music just by talking it the sort of stuff i'm into. Why can't i tell a single linux distro the sort of stuff i'm into and it tweaks itself for my needs? It'd Demented how stallman runs his organisation desu. Worst CEO ever
>>
>>52014388
1. you can post your riced anime meme in the desktop threads

Thats really the only reason
>>
>>52014388
If you can't think of 5 reasons yourself you aren't smart enough to use computers and you really shouldn't install Linux. Stop making these threads.
>>
>>52016412
>>52016606
>>52016632
>>52016652
>>52016659
>>52016688
>>52016762
those are also all me
>>
>>52016762
>Why can't i tell a single linux distro the sort of stuff i'm into and it tweaks itself for my needs?
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/
>>
File: 1355099180422.jpg (12 KB, 204x247) Image search: [Google]
1355099180422.jpg
12 KB, 204x247
>>52014944
>on linux
>deletes system32
>>
Give me 5 valid reasons why I should use NTKernel.
>>
>>52016937
ok. so every linux contributor should go and work on that distro then. I'll be sure to check the progress in 5 years time
>>
>>52016945
Sorry to break it to you anon, but I think you might have autism.
>>
>>52016945
used mono though first to turn linux into windows. lrn2 computers
>>
>>52016956
1) Video games
2) Video games
3) Video games
4) Video games
5) Video games
>>
>>52016973
oh oops i typed nano instead of mono actually .my mistake
>>
stop hacking my account and samefagging :(
>>
>>52016958
did you even read the link? are you retarded? are you bad with communication?
>>
>>52017035
i would be retarded if i read the link
>>
>>52017005
get rekt faggot
>>
Give me 35 reasons to use an Apple (computer).

Professional tip: you can't.
>>
>>52017075
apple.com/whywergud.php
>>
>>52014388
You shouldn't use linux at all. Computer literate people are fucking fed up with your bullshit to make it work like windows. Look we even got shitd now because of worthless consumerists like you. Stay the fuck away from our system and enjoy your nightmare called windows.
>>
>>52017097
>The page you’re looking for can’t be found.
I guess Apple can't name any reasons either.
>>
>>52016976
That would be one, is there really only one? One that has never even been exclusive for it?
>>
>>52014485
THIS
>>
>>52015028
>Projecting your insecurities
>>
Serious question. Is there anyway I can run Linux on top of Windows? So I'd use linux to browse the internet and do my day to day stuff, but then I can switch to windows if I want to play vidya without having to reboot.

>tfw seriously considering just an HDMI splitter and a mini-pc
>>
>>52017206
Well virtual machines can do that for you, you put one of those in a virtual machine inside the other one. Virtualbox is a free virtual machine program.
>>
>>52017206
>damn near 2016
>browsing /g/
>has never heard of Virtual Machines
Back to the phone thread.
>>
>>52017268
Will that give the security benefits of Linux still?
>>
>>52017206
other way is more logical, you can attempt to do a gpu passthrough. dual-booting is easier though and it doesn't take as much time as you may think. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF
>>
>>52017278
I have,I just didn't know if it was pointless not.
>>
>>52017292
if you use windows in a VM you will benefit, see:>>52017303
>>
>>52014673
>more stable
dont get me wrong, im a fellow linux user and i love it, but i chuckled a little
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 29

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.