[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Get Windows 10 icon suddenly appears on my toolbar >what
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
File: FFFFFFFFFFFFF.jpg (76 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
FFFFFFFFFFFFF.jpg
76 KB, 720x480
>Get Windows 10 icon suddenly appears on my toolbar
>what the hell they republished this shit again?
>wait a minute
>I havent even restarted my pc in forever
>check uptime
>13 days

Fucking hell. The PC doesnt even have to be restarted now. This thing can install whenever it feels like it.
All it takes is for you to not pay attention to the update roster and almost no one does.

What's worse is that it's put the WindowsBT folder on my HDD too. That thing is an absolute cunt to delete.
>>
That Windows 10 update shit bricked my development and test VM.
>Step 1: Fill up all remaining disk space with useless bullshit.
>Step 2: Fail update and fail rollback cause disk space is now full.
>Step 3: Stuck on failing update loop on reboot
bravo microsoft
>>
>>52012476
>development and test VM
>didn't turn off windows updates
>allowing arbitrary patches to break your sensitive and nonreproducible environment without your knowing

it would have died anyway, eventually. and entirely your fault.
>>
>>52012532
>and entirely your fault
>a system just bricking itself after a certain time is entirely the users fault.
Doesn't happen with any other system, 7 Krona have been transferred to you IKEA gift card, Muhammad.

>sensitive and nonreproducible environment
I just needed it for testing the Windows build.
>>
File: ragekeyboard.jpg (39 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
ragekeyboard.jpg
39 KB, 480x480
OP here.
I finally found those commands that let you take ownership and fix the broken permissions on the file.

takeown /f "C:\path\to\folder" /r
icacls "C:\path\to\folder" /reset /T

Edit those accordingly and run each line individually then you can simply shift/delete the folder.

Figured I'd just post that here in case anyone needs it.
>>
>>52012446
Install gentoo, not even joking.
>>
>get sick of this shit and delete it via command prompt
>it's back again today

For fucks sakes Windows.
>>
>>52012446
kek, wait a year and it'll be asking you to buy it. give up anon, become one with the botnet.
>>
If anyone knows how to get rid of this fking force win10 update let me know. Ignoring it will only ignore it till the next update check, its selected by default again...
I set the update policy to do not install automatically/ do not check automatically just so it annoys me less.
I run win10 on 2 other machines thank you, this is a win7 box for compatibility reasons.
>>
>why does this shit I'm eating taste bad? I swear it used to taste better.
>>
>>52013329
Uninstall a bunch of those updates.
The new updates aren't the problem; it's the ones already there.
>>
>>52012446
>almost no one does

Speak for yourself

We all aren't braindead morons like you are
>>
>>52013372
No shit sherlock that the new updates ain't a problem. I already uninstalled every update related to win10 upgrade. It automatically reschedules them for the next update check/install. Ignoring them wont help (right click hide/ignore update whatever it is in English), they come back after the next update check.
>>
>>52013455
>It automatically reschedules
>after the next update check

the hell are you even doing with your PC?
Kill the update checks, kill anything to do with updates. Every service; disable it.
How goddamn hard it that?
>>
>>52013556
Why do I want to disable the update service? Im not retarded like you... Most of the updates FIXES problems. Security holes, compatibility problems, bugs, etc...
The point is to not disable the updates while ignoring KB3035583 (GWS update) and the actual windows 10 installer "update". There is an option to do this but windows just removes them from the ignore list after a few update cycle (week).
Every other update package I ignore stays ignored but these two not.

[spoiler]
>automatically reschedules
Clearly you do not know that you can schedule a preferred time when your PC switches on, does all the lengthy updates, reboots, etc and then switches off. For example 3 in the morning when I'm asleep. So I dont get to see "Pls do not turn off your computer, Im currently screwing with the OS's core files" when I want to pack my notebook and head off.
[/spoiler]
>>
>>52012446
just install it goy
>>
See, this is why I just stopped updating Windows 7 entirely.
>>
>uninstall the update
>hide it
Man that was hard.
>>
>>52012446
You might want to look into your task scheduler. Pretty sure gwx has registered there. A lot of malware does that these days to update itself or change a browser's homepage.

Also if you want to go all terminator on it, try deleting gwx from system32 and report results. Make a snapshot before though.
>>
>>52017746
>hurr durr I cant read
>>
>>52018552
>hurr durr i install updates automatically without reading what they do
>why do i have the gwx app wtf m$

Man, life must be hard as a moron.
>>
File: 2000px-HAL9000.svg.png (827 KB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
2000px-HAL9000.svg.png
827 KB, 2000x2000
Join us Anon. It's better over here. Please don't be afraid, Anon.
>>
>>52018552
Blindly installing updates is pretty god damn retarded tbqhwyfam
>>
just turn updates off.

serves you right.
>>
>>52012446
>Be me
>Some time ago
>Shit 10 is coming out
>MicroShit is pushing Shit 10 and blatant botnet updates
>Uninstall last 20 updates
>Set to never check for updates
>Block M$ IP ranges in router
>Never update WinDOS 6.1 again
>Still use Debian
>>
>>52013329
Disable services and use group policy. Voila no updates.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.