[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I'm building my own desktop soon, and I'd like to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: 160322-1.jpg (451 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
160322-1.jpg
451 KB, 1280x1024
So I'm building my own desktop soon, and I'd like to run Arch dual booted with Windows 10. Along with this, I need your guys' help with customizing my Arch build. Looking through the desktop threads, there are some pretty awesome builds on /g/. Are there any tips from you guys or resources you could point me too to learn how to make desktops like those. Thanks ahead /g/
>>
>>52008481
Here's a wallpaper instead.
>>
File: Arch.png (933 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
Arch.png
933 KB, 1920x1200
>>52008522
Oops.
>>
A good for-instance would be: Would you recommend a DE or to just immediately start with a wm?
>>
>>52008639
I seriously have to recommend I3. It's the only tiling WM that I've really gotten into, and if you combine it with Gaps, you can make your build look more riced.

https://github.com/Airblader/i3
>>
>>52008481
arch with win10.

Fuck you.
>>
>>52008481
literally just try shit out and find what best works for you, you dont need an anonymous imageboard to tell you what wm/de to use. Installing them isnt that hard either, so just try them all
>>
>>52008860
Less telling me what to do, more like offering suggestions based on experience. I'm not exactly a GNU/Linux novice, but I am not that experienced with it. I chose Arch as my flavor so I could better learn the system
>>
>>52008481
Personally what I did was install a DE and rice until I felt limited by it, then move on to a WM. I actually wasn't limited, but I thought so at the time cuz I didnt know what I was doing.

i3 is a great tiling WM, make sure you do the gaps version though, it's nice. If you want more windows like window management (floating), openbox is great, it's easy though.

I wouldn't recommend awesome WM, it's fully done in LUA so it's hard to get your head around.

The arch wiki would be your main resource, just think of something to do and google/ask questions in forums until you get your results.
>>
xfce is really customizable
>>
>>52009333
Why would you waste trips on a lie like that?
>>52009306
Really, what he/she said, OP. Try I3 and see how you like it. it's super, super easy to install. Plus, the config is in plain English.
>>
File: spurdo>:DDDD.jpg (8 KB, 300x229) Image search: [Google]
spurdo>:DDDD.jpg
8 KB, 300x229
>>52009356
delete this
>>
>>52008906

Ask yourself,

what do you want to do on this system

then

collect all the neccesary packages and install what you need

finding the right packages takes some time, just google around or visit the archwiki. It's pretty good.
>>
Thanks for all your suggestions guys. I'll be sure to take all of this into consideration.
>>
check the wiki
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.