[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
TFW you'll upgrade Windows 10 next year
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 18
File: LERNER SPECTRE.jpg (11 KB, 213x250) Image search: [Google]
LERNER SPECTRE.jpg
11 KB, 213x250
Microsoft's Goal, announced during the Build 2015 conference, is to have Windows 10 on over 1 billion devices two to three years after the official release of the operating system.
Adoption rates have been good in the first couple of months, thanks to the free offer but adoption seems to slow down if usage stats are anything to go by. Some users are already seeing that in form of new upgrade dialogs that show no "no thanks" option anymore but only options to upgrade to Windows 10.

It is unclear how far Microsoft will go:

How far will Microsoft go to push Windows 10?

>BOTNET
>O
>T
>N
>E
>T

>>
good

people who use outdated software are the worst
>>
File: chinese edition.jpg (115 KB, 700x350) Image search: [Google]
chinese edition.jpg
115 KB, 700x350
>>52003038
>Windows is trying to go do the JAVA MEME
Ayy lmao we /corp/ now.
They predicted this it's the return of /cyber/
>>
>>52003038
If people take this humiliation, and actually upgrade, instead of switching to Lenucks, then they deserve everything that they get with Spyware 10. I feel no pity for them.
>>
File: ok.jpg (25 KB, 389x419) Image search: [Google]
ok.jpg
25 KB, 389x419
If you don't switch to Linux now you deserve whatever garbage happens to you.

I'm not even on the free software train but this is getting absurd, between forced updates, the general faggotry of post-win 7, and the further obfuscation of the operating system, it's getting downright inconvenient for users who want to use their machine for more than shitposting on facebook.

This shit is mustache twirlingly evil, the fact that people are putting up with this pretty much proves the "humans are all trash who deserve suffering" part of the Bible right.
>>
The only winning move with those upgrade pop ups is not to play. Don't click anything, just terminate the program from task manager or let it sit there and disable updates because the windows 10 update will become a recommended update soon. Tbh it feels kind of bad because no doubt less tech savvy people with automatic updates will be fooled to install W10 when it becomes a recommended update and thus automatically installed.
>>
There is literally nothing wrong with Win 10, to be honest. Windows people said that the data they collect is only to improve their product. And besides, what is it that you do on your computer that you want to hide from a 3rd party people, who don't know you to begin with?

This tinfoil shit is retarded.
>>
>>52003038
I'm never upgrading my windows 7 laptop, no matter what.
>>
>>52003372
Why wear clothes?
>>
>>52003372
Why would I want to show anyone I do in my computer?

I have nothing to hide, and thus I have no reason to be spied on.
>>
>>52003372
>Windows people said that the data they collect is only to improve their product.
In a post-Snowden world who in their right mind would believe that bullshit?
>>
I'm thinking of upgrading to W10.

Is it possible to de-botnet it like in w7?
>>
>>52003614
Yes: you don't accept Express settings when upgrading or installing, use a local account not a Microsoft account, and turn the telemetry to Basic. All that remains is stuff Windows 7 always uploaded anyway, minus a bit (not even DrWatson dumps). You're done.

Disabling any more than that would make updates not work right, and you not having security updates would suck for everyone (as we all know from XP) so seriously, don't.

No, it doesn't collect your keystrokes unless you tell it to for handwriting recognition (even then it's only on the device), and the only time it collects your content is when it's set to Full - not Enhanced, Full - which you can't even do in the UI unless you're on the Insider programme, in which case you literally signed up for beta-testing and they actually do need this telemetry as part of that testing.

It won't delete your pirated shit, probably even if you pirated Windows, if you did it right. The only times it'll uninstall programs on updates is if they have incompatible kernel drivers (in which case if it didn't, it'd BSOD): you're on a rolling release, this means you'll have to keep your programs up to date if they have kernel drivers.

Source: I fucking disassembled it. You want to contradict me, sure, just do it with IDA Pro dumps not gifs of noobs with Wireshark.
>>
File: augmented.jpg (46 KB, 500x330) Image search: [Google]
augmented.jpg
46 KB, 500x330
>>52003059
>>
>>52003788
Is there an option to install security updates only instead of "all recommended updates"?
>>
>>52003833
Pick and choose manually. I have all updates disabled though.
>>
File: human-digital-hand-130718.jpg (72 KB, 575x384) Image search: [Google]
human-digital-hand-130718.jpg
72 KB, 575x384
>>52003372
>There is literally nothing wrong with Win 10,
They took away many of the touch features, especially in the browsers. I upgraded my tablets to Windows 10, found the touch experience to be frustrating, and rolled back to 8.1. Ten is fine on my desktop machine but it sucks for touch devices.
>>
>>52003875
How? Disabling Windows Update service?
>>
File: image.jpg (178 KB, 1119x1062) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
178 KB, 1119x1062
>>52003164
Linux doesn't support new hardware and especially wireless cards and games. It is broken piece of shit operating system and people will not bother with its learning curve. People don't want to put effort or time to learn obscure commands to fix fucked up linux problems,which in my opinion needed to be sorted years ago but linux community is full of shit for the most part. It should work out of box every time which it doesn't if you update or have new hardware.
>>
>>52003893
Yes and before that I chose to never install updates.
>>
>>52003372
that's nice. But since there is no real opt-out option if fucking sucks.
>>
>>52003956
Alright, thanks.
>>
File: Double Shame.gif (2 MB, 347x378) Image search: [Google]
Double Shame.gif
2 MB, 347x378
>>52003809
>>
File: giggle.jpg (71 KB, 451x544) Image search: [Google]
giggle.jpg
71 KB, 451x544
>>52003925
Can you back that up sempai?
>>
File: Obvious_Shill_Lol.jpg (101 KB, 620x333) Image search: [Google]
Obvious_Shill_Lol.jpg
101 KB, 620x333
>>52003925
>>
In the end they will just force people to update if they are connected to the Internet.
>>
>>52003833
Not really: Windows 10 is a true rolling release, like Arch, not a staged release like Debian. It's being continuously developed now.

Windows 10 Pro, however, can defer non-security updates for a while (to a second wave, well after most others would have already got them).

For enterprises who want it, there's a staged version called LTSB (long-term support base), but you - seriously! - probably don't want it and it's a bit shit.

If your response is that you really want to turn updates off, and you want to run old software, try Debian oldstable instead. They're simply not developing it that way anymore: they will not be backporting all security patches.
>>
>>52004081
>Windows
>Rolling release

Please don't do it like that senpai.
>>
>>52003925
Linux works out of the box and having problems with drivers is almost like Windows. It's not a big difference in that regard
>>
>>52004081
LOL
>>
>>52003038
Just disable the updates in win7 and you're good.
>>
File: back that up.png (22 KB, 207x239) Image search: [Google]
back that up.png
22 KB, 207x239
>>52003925
>>
File: i asked for this.jpg (4 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
i asked for this.jpg
4 KB, 184x184
>>52003981
>>
File: beef.jpg (54 KB, 500x501) Image search: [Google]
beef.jpg
54 KB, 500x501
>>52004229
>>
File: untitled.jpg (64 KB, 781x628) Image search: [Google]
untitled.jpg
64 KB, 781x628
hurr
>>
>>52004244
>>
>>52003038
I stopped caring. I got an SSD on Black Friday planning on dual booting and using Windows 7 for games only, but then I realized about half of the games that I play will run natively in Linux and do so smoothly. Anyone know how well Steam games will run in wine with newer hardware (in the even that I upgrade)? As the newest games that I have that won't run natively in Linux are from 2011.
>>
File: BEEFDONG.jpg (153 KB, 500x1200) Image search: [Google]
BEEFDONG.jpg
153 KB, 500x1200
>>52004281
>>
File: shit.jpg (42 KB, 247x248) Image search: [Google]
shit.jpg
42 KB, 247x248
>>52004445
>So close to the quads
>>
>>52003403

This is actually a good point to make for the nothing to hide fags.
I mean, its not like we haven't seen a dick or a vag right?
>>
>>52003372
Even Microsoft themselves preach about data security in a "post-Snowden world"
A specific example is Jeffrey Snover, lead on Windows Server, System Center and the inventor of PowerShell.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7kjs-fHo_k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhXkyBXwE9k

Sure, it's in an enterprise setting.
Sure, it's about Active Directory credential management.
But the fact that they even acknowledge the dude's existence, and start preaching one kind of security, all forms of security must be preached.
You can't open a new book and never finish it, you need to follow through - so that means personal data security aswell as enterprise credential security. It means the entire portfolio of vulnerabilities against you or someone you represent.

So us consumers are in our perfect right to call bullshit on Microsoft's telemetry, because they preach the message of "that guy" in the enterprise, but stamps on the consumer like they forgot what they told the business exec 5 minutes ago.
And not calling Microsoft's telemetry a breach of personal data security is blasphemous!
It's your computer hardware, what's it to them?
It's your software, what's it to them?
It's your files, no matter its legitimacy. They have no business making a tree structure of my hard drives, no matter how little information actually slips out.
It helps the FBI? Well slap the FBI for being terrible at their jobs and having to resort to bribery of private corporations to find crooks. Fire all of FBI for being anti-encryption, pro corruption ludites.
It helps them improve their product? I'll be happy to help! JUST MAKE IT OPT-IN!

>And besides, what is it that you do on your computer that you want to hide from a 3rd party people, who don't know you to begin with?
Just because one multi billion dollar corporation does it, doesn't mean the rest should. With that rhetoric, it wouldn't surprise me you own stocks or have other interests in data harvesting crooks.
>>
File: what.jpg (12 KB, 272x252) Image search: [Google]
what.jpg
12 KB, 272x252
>>52004564
>its not like we haven't seen a dick or a vag right?

If you count a vag in a digital pixel form on computer screen. This fucking brought back repressed memories I had already forgotten. In junior high (grades 7 to 9) I was bullied. I didn't have any friends in my class. Then one time, I think in 8th or 9th grade, I was there just standing there in the corridor outside physics class waiting for the teacher to come. This bully and his friends (including a girl whom I think has probably graduated from the school of hard knocks as the PhD of shooting drugs) approached me and asked if I had ever seen a vagina. Now in this moment I knew that they expected me to say no because I was a fucking friendless virgin, so I didn't want to say no, so I said yes. The bullies then mockingly asked me whose vagina and I gave them the fucking stupidest answer my retarded mind could possibly come up with "my mom's". It didn't occur to me until later how fucking stupid that was and I'm glad those days are over.
>>
Are people really still falling for the shitty botnet meme
>>
>>52003054
retard
>>
It's proprietary software. MS owns it, not you. They make that abundantly clear in the EULA. People who pay for Windows pay for the "privilege to install it", but they have no legal right to control it or what it does. Why are people surprised by this behavior?
>>
>>52005122

You could've said "your mom's".
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.