[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it just me or are Macs generally shitty for actual desktop
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 1405965132062.png (144 KB, 680x502) Image search: [Google]
1405965132062.png
144 KB, 680x502
Is it just me or are Macs generally shitty for actual desktop usage?

I love my rMBP and OS X when just using it "portable". The trackpad gestures are very straight forward and the unix integration helpful.

But when hooking the MBP up to a big monitor with a proper mouse and keyboard it becomes stupidly unusable because so many aspects seem to rely on the trackpad.

>can't zoom with ctrl + zoom or ctrl + mousewheel (huge dealbreaker)
>can't properly organize windows without Windows XP style dragging and dropping or 3rd party software (that's no problem in portable because mostly you'll just use a single window fullscreen and different spaces)
>suddenly realize that cmd+tab will NOT tab through windows but just through programs (which leaves you to manually access these windows using the mouse)
>the bigger the screen, performance becomes generally more choppy, though that's probably due to the shitty Intel Graphics I reckon

anyone else feel the same way? I would like to only have one machine for everything, but so far I'm not convinved a macbook and OS X can replace my Desktop computer, and that's not even due to vidya gaems.
>>
>>52002005
No, I use my RMBP in clamshell mode hooked up to my monitor with a regular keyboard and mouse.

I think you just need to git gud at OSX desu senpai
>>
>>52002005
That's your fault for not buying a Magic Trackpad 2.
>>
>>52002005
steve jobs is my hero
>>
>>52002150
I like the trackpad but it's bad for my wrist. It starts hurting after ~2 hours of using it, that's why I usually go back to using a mouse within that time, if I can.
>>
>>52002005
Zoom works fine here on a mac desktop.

Keep holding cmd when cmd-tabbing then press down to list the windows for the selected program.
>>
>>52002193
>Keep holding cmd when cmd-tabbing then press down to list the windows for the selected program.
I guess that works. Still less convenient than the Windows approach of just showing you all Windows imo.

>Zoom works fine here on a mac desktop.
How? I just tried it on safari and preview. Neither Cmd+Scroolwheel, nor Ctrl+Scrollwheel nor Option+Scrollwheel work.
>>
>>52002249
use CTRL then my scrollwheel works. Make sure its enabled in the accessibility settings.
>>
>>52002249
>How? I just tried it on safari and preview. Neither Cmd+Scroolwheel, nor Ctrl+Scrollwheel nor Option+Scrollwheel work.
Because you didn't turn it on in the accessibility preferences.

>I guess that works. Still less convenient than the Windows approach of just showing you all Windows imo.
just use command-` like a normal person you retard.
>>
>>52002311
Hm maybe I'm just baby ducked by Windows. I don't like this at all...

Why couldn't they just make it like Windows
>>
>>52002367
because it literally came first
>>
>>52002005
>you idiot, you own a macintosh, the file is fucking gone
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.