[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is my CS class so full of code monkeys?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: FB_IMG_1450343224569.jpg (158 KB, 867x867) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1450343224569.jpg
158 KB, 867x867
Why is my CS class so full of code monkeys?
>>
>>52001533
Because that's what they wanted to do for a living. What did you expect?
>>
The only people guaranteed to get A's in my cs class are people who have already been working as a programmer for several years.
>>
>>52001533
because your school produces code monkeys
>>
>>52001533
because they can't be bothered to learn discrete math
>>
Because they have the intrinsic motivation to write code while you don't, thus they'll be more successful
>>
>>52003397

This.

They'll all get job offers they can't refuse right about the middle of the 5th semester when Calc III hits the fan.
>>
>>52002942
I was reading an article alluding to this the other day about why females in CS went from 50/50 parity in the 1970s to less than a tenth today. The ruling theory is how they teach it now as opposed to back then. In the 70s CS was still relatively new and the faculty taught it with the assumption that everyone started out with zero knowledge of programming. In the 80s/90s it became normal to get your son a computer as a gift to play games on, but not your daughter.

Subsequently, the shift in expectations of academia was that you already started programming before you started school, and they began teaching as though everyone comes to the 100 level classes already knowing how to produce and run significant programs rather than being totally new to it.
>>
>>52003397
But computer science IS discrete math
>>
>>52001533
>Not studying CE
>>
>>52004838
>I took Calc III
>such advanced math
>>
>>52004838
There aren't too many engineering jobs and especially computer engineering jobs when compared to programming job.
>>
>>52005665
I'm in InfoSec, I can tell you there are enough jobs for CE graduates.
>>
>>52003734
I went into cs knowing a tiny bit of python, and some people I know knew nothing at all, and all still easily picked it up, while people who had done programming before failed the first assignment. I think it's just retards vs non retards
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.