[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Wearable Tech >Internet of Things >Smart TV >4k
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3
File: 1433730865311.png (11 KB, 427x474) Image search: [Google]
1433730865311.png
11 KB, 427x474
>Wearable Tech
>Internet of Things
>Smart TV
>4k Television
>Tablets
>E-readers
>HTPCs/Dongles
>Social Media
>Cloud Computing/Storage
>Streaming Services
>Games Consoles
>3D Displays/Printing
>>
>>52000648
streaming services can be cool desu senpai
>>
>>52000668
>muh netflix and spotify
top kek
>>
>living in the past
>>
>>52000683
only netflix desu senpai
>>
>>52000684
>wasting money and time on dumb fads
>>
>>52000693
>fads
yeah okay, kid.

>>52000000
>>
Can someone explain me this internet of things meme?

Sounds like connecting random stuff on a computer network, like cameras. What's so special about this? We had IP cameras and microcontrollers with Ethernet support since ages.
>>
>>52000648
8/10 OP, I had a laff.
>>
>>52000707
Just because something is new doesn't make it better than what was already around. The things in OP are not better than the older solutions, they're worse.
>>52000711
Who the fuck knows. Something about connecting your fridge to your shower so the food defrosts or something.
>>
bump for interest
>>
>>52000730
>The things in OP are not better than the older solutions, they're worse.

This is entirely dependent on your needs. Here's my two cents:

>wearable tech
A huge fad/luxury, I'll admit. Seems very redundant, yes it's convenient but also expensive.

>Smart TV
I think this is fine, it makes stuff more expensive but I know a lot of people who don't have the convenience of being able to just run HDMI from the computer to their TV or whatever.

>4K TV
As a display type it's great, better colors/contrast, better dynamic range. The real problem is a blatant lack of content.

>Tablets
These are fine you're on the go, don't need a keyboard, don't need a "laptop", just want something basic. It has its purpose.

>Social Media
It works for a lot of people actually. Outside of selfie-whoring and drama it's great for marketing.

>Streaming
I don't go the streaming route because I've invested so much into movies/music that I wouldn't get much out of it. That and the way it eats up data, I'm not about to spend $100+ a month on a data plan just to listen to music in the car. At least they let you download most music for offline play now though.
>inb4 just pirate it all
I work in the creative industry, therefore I don't really support piracy.

>Games consoles
Not everyone wants to spend $700+ on a gaming PC.

>3D displays/printing
3D media is just a niche and mostly dead now, I never understood the point of 3D printing but that's just me
>>
>>52000648
4k is pretty cool once there is content for it, to be honest family

also muh dropbox

I agree with you on the rest though
>>
File: 7M7Og_f-maxage-0_s-200x150.gif (606 KB, 200x150) Image search: [Google]
7M7Og_f-maxage-0_s-200x150.gif
606 KB, 200x150
>>52000648
>>
Cloud storage is useful when you have multiple computers at differents places
>>
>>52001008
>>52001115
>using botnets
>>
i have an htpc it's awesome but dongles/smart tvs are retarded.
>>
>>52000648
Everything except 3D printing.
>>
>>52001276
What's so great about 3d printing?
>>
>>52000648
I like networking shit at home would be neat to ssh into some of my audio gimmicks when jamming with people.
>>
>>52000711
The whole idea is that slowly everything gets connected to the internet and devices can communicate with eachother. For example: Coffee machine knows when your alarm goes off, so it prepares coffee in time. Stuff like that.
>>
>>52000648
>Wearable tech
Meh I do like me phone for the little things phones are no longer used for... Like calling to see why someone is late or why I'm late.

>internet of things
wat?

>smart YV
>4Kth

TV is dead.

>E-reader
>Dongles
>Social Media
Ok I really like my phone

>cloud storage
Eh it easier than explaining to mom how she destroyed 10 years of family photos by doing X with her PC. I swear old people are worse than kids... Back that shit up on a server.

>Streaming
Eh TV died something has to fill the void

>Games Consoles
Think of it a s tax on having kids

>3D Displays
I like the idea however the execution is still too shitty to be executed.
>3D printing
Well this I really like, yeah its been getting a lot of media attention and it's used by retards for garbage but in the right hands that shit can save you money while building a one off prototype of something. Since you can make things that are expensive or hard to machine dirt cheap and easy compered to paying a machinist of having it cast.
>>
>purposely ignoring new and interesting technology
>wanting to live in the past

You sound like the kind of person whos been using the same thinkpad running XP since 2006, and still has CRT monitors.
>>
>>52000986
>piracy
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.en.html#Piracy
>>
>>52000684
why?
Some things are just not needed, make no sense at all or are ridiculous (looking at you IoT)

So:
>Wearable Tech
not necessary, phones from ca 2004 were very small + light + portable, so?
>Internet of Things
Internet of stolen privacy and closed source security risks ("omg that nuclear powered fridge in the kitchen could be hacked" you get the idea, don't you?)
>Smart TV
Fuck off smart-.* (< dat is regex)
>4k Television
Only for photos not for moving pictures 720p is enough!
>Tablets
absolutely useless (Android, iOS)
no good onscreen-Keyboard
(Why can't i do the same stuff, like on a normal PC? ARM-Processor? What about debian on raspberry Pi? + Debian 8 has a very touch friendly UI)
>E-readers
erm, just no! Books (no power, no battery, will not break if dropped, will last longer, not obsolete)
>HTPCs/Dongles
useless (especially Chromecast)
>Social Media
you must mean unsocial media (facebook, dividing people since 2004)
>Cloud Computing/Storage
b-but what about owncloud? Own ssh server?
>Streaming Services
buy the fucking movie on a DVD (--> rip ISO --> home server / NAS --> profit)
>Games Consoles
who plays games anyway
>3D Displays/Printing
Displays no! But printers? What is wrong with them? Quick prototyping?
>>
>>52000730
How is a 4k television worse than those fugly boxes we used to have? You need to let go of obsolete tech.
>>
File: 10043232323667.png (10 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
10043232323667.png
10 KB, 600x300
threadly reminder that only black dick cucks buy into the SJW agenda
>>
>>52001449
>>52000730
Perfect way to pave the road for a police state, your house is now a giant microphone and videorecorderd. No place to hide, terrorists.
>>
>>52003554
how would a 4k display help if most tv shows are still distributed in sd and only some are freely avaliable in 720p

--> clearly the wrong use for such displays

computer + 4k = well that's ok + reasonable
>>
>>52003616
+ can't have BlueRays because of shit copyright + DRM + whatthefuck (=Restrictions)
>>
>>52000648
Fine, I'll go play with a hoop and stick and then make a living as a haberdasher.
>>
>>52003586
Too bad they finally snuck CISPA into law a couple days ago. Worrying about being recorded seems like an adorable mistake of the past.
>>
>>52001569
generatoin lost
>the good ol' days, when computers would fill rooms and the internet did not exist, oh wait, that's not good?
>>
>Casual gaming on Android(TM) Devices

>Casual gaming on casual Apple(TM) Devices through Apple(TM) Apps(TM)

>Casual listening through Apple(TM) Itunes(TM)

>Apple(TM)
>>
>>52001449
Reminds me of episode 7 of Black Mirror
>>
>>52001199
Enjoy being autist
>>
>>52003616
>most
>technology should slow down for most tv shows
You don't belong here.
>>
>>52003817
There's a world outside of 'murrica!
>muh 4k, muh high resolution
fuck this ^
>>
>>52000648
those are the memes of 2015. rip in pieces
>>
>>52002795
>letting a jewish communist dictate your usage of words
TOP GOY
>>
>>52000648
Smartwatches are the best.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.