[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/fug/ - Friendly Unix General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6
File: Arch vs Gentoo.png (2 MB, 3000x4000) Image search: [Google]
Arch vs Gentoo.png
2 MB, 3000x4000
This general is meant to replace /flt/ and the occasional BSD general threads, and everything UNIX-related.
GNU with Linux added bois come here

I'll just copy the last /flt/ because lazy

Intended for users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are three ways to try GNU with Linux added, you can:

1) Install a GNU with Linux added OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
2) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full GNU with Linux added experience".
3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with GNU with Linux added (very recommended, for your freedom)

If you are serious about switching to GNU with Linux added and if you have Windows dual-booted (recommended for pure shitheads),
we recommend you use it exclusively for 2 weeks, and avoid Windows dual booting for that period of time, or it's
likely you will start retreating back to windows instead of getting used to GNU with Linux added as your new home and working on
making it feel the way you want it.

>Recommended for beginners:
-SourceMage (http://beta.sourcemage.ru)
-Trisquel [Recommended]
-Suicide GNU with Linux added

Before asking, please find the answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU with Linux added Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe wine can make up for it.

Resources:
man <insert command here>
your friendly neighborhood search engine
>>>/g/sqt
http://imswinging.com
http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Main_Page
http://wiki.installgentoo.com/
>>
Are there any text editors or IDE that can run through terminal and automatically tab my text?

I'm learning Java and netbeans really clashes with me elite hacker design that I've riced onto my Ubuntu OS with the i3 mod installed.
>>
Maybe this thread is more suitable for this than /sqt/, I don't know.

I believe I've successfully created a bridge br0 in order to allow the outside world to connect to the virtual machine which is supposed to host the webserver (with the host kinda hosting a fileserver through sftp by use of sshfs). Interfaces:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet manual

auto br0
iface br0 inet dhcp
bridge_ports eth0
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0
bridge_maxwait 0

The server (host) leases a static DHCP address from the router (which is set to DMZ).

The idea is that the host and guest shares the same public IP address. At the moment, this isn't working very well. Hell, I'm not able to connect to Internet during the install in the guest OS either through DHCP or static (leasing an IP in the router for vnet0).

So what am I missing here to make this work?
>>
>>51996405
Emacs
>>
Can you migrate a Crouton chroot to a new SSD, or does it have a fixed position size when made?
>>
File: 1428964450932.jpg (50 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
1428964450932.jpg
50 KB, 600x800
.....IOW, just default to something safe (the 64 sector example), and then
perhaps allow people to explicitly play with their settings in a hardware
manager. People actually tend to *like* being able to tweak meaningless
things, and it makes them feel in control. So you'd have the Gentoo people
who want to optimize their iPod access times by 0.2% by raising the
maximum sector number - good for them! They'll feel empowered, and if it
stops working, they know it was because of something *they* did.

So at least in some cases, I think we should "default to stupid, but give
users rope".

Linus
>>
>>51997986
uwotm8
>>
This thread is obsolete.

>>51998408
>>
>>51999405
No it isn't.
Yours is.
>>
>>51996405
in 2 days you'll be back to using a proper IDE
>>
>>51996405
Vim can do code completion with some extensions
>>
Since the other threads seems to be hit by a spambot, I'll just link my question here:
>>51999912
>>
new GET
>>52000000
>>
File: screenFetch-2015-12-21_09-28-48.png (706 KB, 2966x900) Image search: [Google]
screenFetch-2015-12-21_09-28-48.png
706 KB, 2966x900
Moved to Linux, fairly new.
For the little gaymen I do how do I get Gmod to actually work a bit, are there better graphics drivers or should I just cope with the quality?
>>
File: 1449084220313.jpg (32 KB, 428x510) Image search: [Google]
1449084220313.jpg
32 KB, 428x510
>>51996231
Pity bump
Hi there memelord, how's your edgy thread going?
>>
These threads are barren
#save/flg/
>>
File: 1450652757951.png (393 KB, 428x510) Image search: [Google]
1450652757951.png
393 KB, 428x510
>>52001138
Next time finish you homework first before confusing /b/ with /g/
Bye KEK
>>
>>52001259
you what?
>>
>>52000102
I don't understand your problem. Intel drivers are arguably the best drivers on Linux, so you shouldn't be having any problems with drivers... Try turning the settings up?
>>
I have a R9 390

How much would I cripple myself by running windows vidya in a VM instead of dualbooting?
>>
>>52001431
I was meant to link to the laptop I'm using
http://uk.hardware.info/productinfo/173954/samsung-np350v5c-a0fuk/specifications
It's mostly for shitposting but on windows I played Gmod with some friends occasionly, now it runs at sigificantly lower fps
>>
>>52001471
depends on if your CPU supports vt-d and has integrated graphics.
>>
>>52001519
Its the i5 4590, does support vt-d and has IntelĀ® HD Graphics 4600 inside
>>
>>52001577
that's perfect, you can get up to 99% of native performance like this.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF
>>
File: spurdo>:DDDD.jpg (8 KB, 300x229) Image search: [Google]
spurdo>:DDDD.jpg
8 KB, 300x229
>fug
>>
>>52001602
does that make me run linux on integrated graphics all the time or only while the VM is running?
>>
>>52001657
Seriously change the name
>>
>>52001676
all the time
>>
So I updated firefox in arch to 43.0.1-2, and now none of my buttons work, i can't right click, shit like that. I tried removing the ~/.mozilla folder, but that didn't work. I tried downloading the file straight from their website, and that does work. What is the difference between the packed binary that arch ships and the one mozilla offers? I really don't want to use the direct one cause it will be a bitch to update and it's not a proper package, has no desktop file etc
>>
>>52001918
the developer edition should be updating itself, why not use that?
>>
Guess i'll try that, thanks. I would prefer just fixing whatever the fuck is up with my current version, but there is a developer package so if that works it won't be too bad. It's not packed with tons of bloat, is it?
>>
>>52001978
i used firefox dev on windows for ages and loved it. not really bloated. i prefer iceweasel aurora though.
>>
Go fuck yourself with a rake, OP, and stop spamming the actual /flt/
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.