[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I get into embedded programming? I had an arduino, but
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: Img_DigitalTimerFinished2.jpg (94 KB, 580x422) Image search: [Google]
Img_DigitalTimerFinished2.jpg
94 KB, 580x422
How do I get into embedded programming?
I had an arduino, but I didn't like how it tries to abstract away everything so you don't learn anything, and then I broke it when I tried uploading a sketch.

I figure I should probably get a USB in-circuit programmer and some microcontrollers to play with, but I don't know how cheap I should go, and I also don't want to end up with an overpriced "maker" kit.
>>
>>51995651
Cool clock ahmed
>>
>>51995651
If you broke an Arduino your future is not looking too bright.
>>
>>51995651
>probably get a USB in-circuit programmer
Just get an AVR chip or an ESP8266 based stuff like ESP-12 from China.
Learn how to make. For programming the AVR use an usbasp, also get a usb->serial module(cable) that could be useful for a lot of shit from debugging to programming something like an ESP-12.
Use aliexpress to get your shit chip from China.
Review the basics of analog and digital circuits. Make sure you understand networks made of analog elements, that bascily means you understand the basics.
>>
I did a course in college using a PIC18F and a breadboard, LEDs, 7 segment displays, and stuff
it was good
>>
>>51995651
I've been using an MSP 430 for uni.
I'm pretty new to micro controllers, but it's really good for learning on.
>>
>>51995651
buy an 8051, or some other 8 bit microcontroller
>>
>>51995651
Never used an arduino so take my opinions with a little grain of salt.
What you want? Pic32 is a good middle ground you have to known the periferics and their documatations, but you still program in c and there are also quitte a few libraries to help, and I think you have more liberties than with arduino also opens doors to things I'm not confurtable to opinate with the knowledge I have
Don't go lower then this imo worring about physical adress memorys and actual ASCII code is a pain and things of the past
>>
this thread mostly belongs in /diy/ since /g/ is just for consumerism.

You can start by getting a bunch of ATtiny's. They are like 20 cents a chip and have all the peripherals you'll need,Timer's, PWM, SPI, ADC, ect.
If you don't already know how to program in C or assembly, you'll want to learn.
Think of an easy project like a PWM fan controller, or whatever. When you are comfortable with that you can graduate to something like a TI Tiva TM4C is what I'm using right now. It has a few extra features, the one I'm mostly interested in the USB com stuff so I can just take real world measurements with it, and send commands via a python script.
>>
>>51995900
>implying this babytier shit isn't consumerism
>>
>>51995923
do you have ideas for any non-babby tier projects?
>>
>>51995923
no, but he'll get better advice for personal electronic projects here
>>>/diy/915959
>>
>>51995651
Before Arduino came along Basic Stamp was pretty much the de facto microcontroller of hobbyists.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.