[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/flt/ - Friendly Linux Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 25
File: GlrETNW.jpg (59 KB, 1071x592) Image search: [Google]
GlrETNW.jpg
59 KB, 1071x592
Intended for users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are three ways to try Linux, you can:

1) Install a Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
2) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full Linux experience".
3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with Linux (not recommended)

If you are serious about switching to Linux and if you have Windows dual-booted (recommended for pure newbies), we recommend you use it exclusively for 2 weeks, and avoid Windows dual booting for that period of time, or it's likely you will start retreating back to windows instead of getting used to Linux as your new home and working on making it feel the way you want it.

>Recommended for beginners:
-Ubuntu MATE
-Debian (For Broadcom devices, use an ISO that includes non-free firmware)
-openSUSE
-LinuxMint (a.k.a Ubuntu LTS + Cinnamon)

Before asking, please find the answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe wine can make up for it.

Resources:
man <insert command here>
your friendly neighborhood search engine
https://www.codecademy.com/en/courses/learn-the-command-line
https://wiki.archlinux.org/
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/
>>
What is Linux (or GNU/Linux for Stallmanists)?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux

Babby's First Linux (What distro to choose?)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

What software does /g/ recommend? (Please DON'T include the so called infographic -- refer all your recommended software here.)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_GNU/Linux_software

Ricing on Linux (Make it good and functional or make it worse like those at desktop threads)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux_ricing

A script designed to ease the transition from Windows to Debian
https://gitgud.io/Chocolate-Chip-Computing/DebianNewbieScript

We now have an entry in the install Gentoo wiki!
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php//flt/

IRC No one uses:
irc://irc.freenode.org:+7000/FriendlyLinux
>>
>>51994090
why does unetbootin never work for me? I want to install linus+stallman but I cant
>>
>>51994151
because unetbootin sucks ass. if on windows use rufus, if on linux use imagewriter, or yumi(yes it's available for linux)
>>
Installing openSUSE tomorrow. Besides browsers is there anything standard to want to install/check/remove after installation?
>>
File: Installing Arch.2015.png (2 MB, 2720x8048) Image search: [Google]
Installing Arch.2015.png
2 MB, 2720x8048
Intended for people who are looking for a summary of the beginners' wiki
>>
File: Arch_recommendations.png (949 KB, 2646x6592) Image search: [Google]
Arch_recommendations.png
949 KB, 2646x6592
>>51994247
And the general recommendations
>>
>>51994265
Why would you add your username instead of uncommenting group wheel ?
>>
>>51994295
It's arbitrary, the installation chart added a user in users group.
>>
>>51994090
How often are you proposing to post this?
It's futile.
You won't convert anyone. You never have.
>>
>>51994328
It would be beneficial if you add yourself to "wheel" group in >>51994247 (in set user) and uncommenting group wheel in visudo instead.
>>
>>51994347
Noted. Thanks for the feedback. Will fix it
>>
File: Untitled.png (54 KB, 1597x519) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
54 KB, 1597x519
Does anyone know if there's a way to forward Cocoa (OS X desktop graphics library) over SSH as you would X11? I naively tried using regular X11 forwarding, but that fails (I don't have an X server running on the OS X machine even, I just kind of hoped enough of BSD would be left over that it would work).

Sorry if this isn't considered strictly Linux.
>>
File: 2015-12-22_09-09-56.png (12 KB, 518x206) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-22_09-09-56.png
12 KB, 518x206
why is bash such a huge piece of shit and how can i make it pass input unaltered
>>
>>51994342
It's for noobs and people who want to try Linux, not about "conversion".
You still have plenty of designated shitting threads, you don't have to read and post here.
>>
>>51994484
I assume you're complaining about the newline echo puts in.
echo -n
is what you're looking for.
>>
>join linux community
>ask for help with AMD drivers on linuxquestions
>get called a poorfag and told to get an nvidia gpu
>ignore it, bump my forum thread asking for someone knowledgeable to help or direct me
>admin comes in
>tells me not to bump my thread then bans me
>in the ban message "turn off adblock u fuckin faggot this shit isnt free you fuckin poorfag"
>fast track 2 months later
>gotten much more knowledgeable on my own by reading threads on /g/ as well as browsing wiki
>decide to return to that forum now
>see a lot of people asking for help but no one responds giving them help
>most people respond in a trolling manor
>i respond giving them assistance to the best of my abilities (usually just providing them with links to wiki pages for the relevant topic/question they have)
>admin bans me
>ban message "thats not ur job u fuckin imbecile fuck off"
>>
>>51994561
i dont believe you
>>
>>51994547
no, my issue is that 0 bytes and others don't get passed on
>>
>>51994561
linuxquestions is pretty much the worst place to ask questions about linux
>>
>>51994561
>no poonfeeding
>>
File: 1437900262244.png (461 KB, 1059x962) Image search: [Google]
1437900262244.png
461 KB, 1059x962
>>51994090
>3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with Linux (not recommended)
Why the fuck not?
>Ubuntu MATE
>LinuxMint (a.k.a Ubuntu LTS + Cinnamon)
Why do we still have Ubuntu ANYTHIGN being pushed here? I get that it's easy to install but so is Trisquel, so why on the paranoid board of /g/ of all places do you feel the need to promote Amazon's Operating System with known security holes?

Yes, I know they can be fixed with a DE change but they should never be there in the first place and no one should want to use an Operating System designed to collect the users data in ANYWAY without their very explicit and unmistakable permission.
>>
Tried doing an Arch test run on an old hard drive yesterday. My SSD will be here in a few days so I had to practice a bit. Got stuck at the
 mount /dev/sda3 /mnt 
part, because that sda3 partition just comes out of nowhere? Don't recall creating that one at all.

Next up I got stuck at the chroot-arch into /bin/bash part. Told me the directory didn't exist. Any anon kind enough to point out where I fucked up?
>>
>>51994561
Jesus. What forum is this?
>>
>>51994653
are you using the UEFI partition scheme?
>>
Solus OS, how is it?

I just dig the looks honestly.
>>
>>51994484
echo -n
>>
>>51994684
I went with the BIOS/MBR route because that said 'Easy mode' and I'm a first timer.
>>
> join linuxquestions forum
> correct a moderator
> get a pm from him
>"you don't know what you're talking about"
> he deleted my post but edited his post with my correction in it
> I ask him why
> he gives me a 7 day ban for harassment
> finally unbanned
> post some answers to people's questions
> notice my posts disappear
> the moderators literally delete your post then they post what you just wrote
>call him out on it
> get permabanned "go be a kid elsewhere dickwad"
>>
>>51994642
So would you say Linux Mint has less security holes even though a large part of it is the same as Ubuntu?

Ubuntu seems alright to me, would recommend the GNOME edition or the default. Definitely not Kubuntu, unless Plasma doesn't crash every 5 minutes anymore.

Trisquel wouldn't install for me, and believe me, I tried.
>>
>>51994710
>Trisquel wouldn't install for me, and believe me, I tried.
Fuck man. I only tried it once, I guess. Debian's never given me any problems.
>>
>>51994642
>Trisquel
Pile of shit desu.
>>
>>51994596
Unix tools are really designed to pass text around. I doubt echo is actually writing a null to its output. Considering that null is the string terminator in C, I assume it just assumes that its the end of the argument and doesn't write anything.

However, instead of getting bash to handle the escapes, echo itself can do it with -e.
So
echo -e '\000' | xxd
is going to give you the output you're looking for.
>>
File: 9-11 anal.jpg (40 KB, 344x216) Image search: [Google]
9-11 anal.jpg
40 KB, 344x216
>>51994703
SCREENSHOTS AND WAYBACKMACHINE LINKS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN.
>>
>>51994696
Should be sda2 instead. Your root partition.

Who the fuck made this guide?
>>
>>51994721
I don't know what was up, I tried downloading the ISO a couple of times but it kept throwing errors during installation.
>>
>>51994744
>I don't know what was up, I tried downloading the ISO a couple of times but it kept throwing errors during installation.
W-works on my machine :(
>>
>>51994653
If you are using the msdos scheme, try /dev/sda2 instead of sda3.
Only then you can successfully chroot. See >>51994247 the chart you have has a couple of issues
>>
>>51994729
yes, but what i want to do is $(cat file_containing_binary_stuff) and get the exact file, passing nullbytes and other unusual bytes works fine over pipes and redirects
>>
>>51994642
>>51994710
>>51994721
>>51994744
>>51994752
Why the fuck would anyone recommend Trisquel? That shit is unusable at best, infested with FSF-imposed restriction and shit.

Any FSF-endorsed distro = shit.
>>
Installing Arch.2015.png
2 MB, 2720x8048
>>51994738
I did, the picture has some issues so I deleted them.
Here's the latest one
>>
>>51994765
So you want to execute the contents of some binary file as a command?
I don't see why you would ever want/need to do that.
>>
>>51994769
>infested with FSF-imposed restriction and shit.
Like what?

>>51994769
>Any FSF-endorsed distro = shit.
You're saying this on the basis of what?
>>
>>51994781
Ok, that's much better.
>>
>>51994800
Like when drivers aren't there to work
>>
>>51994796
>So you want to execute the contents of some binary file as a command?
If that's what he wants this nigga just needs to make a damn alias.
>>
>>51994769
It really depends on what you're interested in doing with your computer.
But I see your point, there are definitely some limitations.
>>
>>51994796
no, i just want to do some_command $(cat file1) $(cat file2)
which does work for human-readable characters
>>
>>51994808
>Like when drivers aren't there to work
Is that deliberately imposed restriction?
>>
>>51994754
Thanks! I'll try again this evening. Another thing, I dd'd the Arch ISO to my USB, booted from it and then selected the i686 option from the menu. I hope this is the right way? Some articles on the Arch Wiki tell me to just drag the entire ISO on an USB and boot from that.
>>
>>51994827
It might be, FSF doesn't endorse non-free drivers and it might be trickier to obtain them because of it.
>>
I want to download Arch, but I don't like the idea of constant upkeep. Or am I being paranoid?
>>
>>51994827
It is unfortunate more than deliberate. In reality most of the hardware run on non-free drivers.
>>
>>51994800
>Like what?
https://www.gnu.org/software/repo-criteria.html

>You're saying this on the basis of what?
https://www.gnu.org/distros/common-distros.html

>Debian's Social Contract states the goal of making Debian entirely free software, and Debian conscientiously keeps nonfree software out of the official Debian system. However, Debian also provides a repository of nonfree software. According to the project, this software is “not part of the Debian system,” but the repository is hosted on many of the project's main servers, and people can readily learn about these nonfree packages by browsing Debian's online package database.

Seriously, FSF? What the fuck is wrong, if anything, Debian is the most logical one, they separated non-free repos and default repos instead of restricting anything.
>>
>>51994837
>FSF doesn't endorse non-free drivers
But Stallman explicitly states that there are no 100% free drivers since they all contain binary blobs on it somewhere.
>>
>>51994826
Command line arguments is NOT a way to hand binary data to a program. Give it a filename or use stdin with a pipe.
No program expects binary data in it's arguments and as soon as a null is encountered, you're fucked.
>>
>>51994835
Just checking, are you sure you need i686(32 bit)?
You might want x86_64 instead.

Sounds like you didn't do anything else wrong though. I usually dd my live installers to USB.
>>
>>51994835
If you are running on a 64bit system, rather select the x86_64 option. try using this >>51994781
>>
>>51994846
Source?
I think Stallman is using a computer that doesn't have this problem.
>>
posted this in sqt but maybe someone here knows something about it

I installed the pptpd VPN server on my homeserver as a test (I know it's insecure, but I couldn't make strongswan work yet). It just werks and all, but there is one weird thing about it:
Connecting to it with an iPhone, the IP address of the phone changes to be the same as the server. Connecting to it with my laptop, the IP address of the laptop stays the same.

Why is this?
>>
>>51994860
And please delete the buggy version from your post
Thanks
>>
File: 1437979713228.gif (142 KB, 450x400) Image search: [Google]
1437979713228.gif
142 KB, 450x400
>>51994864
>Source?
Regarding graphics accelerators for PCs, ATI mostly cooperates with the free software movement, while nVidia is totally hostile. ATI has released free drivers.

However, the ATI drivers use nonfree microcode blobs, whereas most of nVidia's products (excepting the most recent ones) work ok with Nouveau, which is entirely free and has no blobs.

Thus, paradoxically, if you want to be free you need to get a not-very-recent nVidia accelerator.

I wish ATI would free this microcode, or put it in ROM, so that we could endorse its products and stop preferring the products of a company that is no friend of ours.
https://stallman.org/to-4chan.html
>>
>>51994846
"
What hardware do you use?

I am using a Lemote Yeelong, a netbook with a Loongson chip and a 9-inch display. This is my only computer, and I use it all the time. I chose it because I can run it with 100% free software even at the BIOS level.
"

https://usesthis.com/interviews/richard.stallman/
>>
>>51994856
>>51994860
>>51994874

Thanks for the tips anons. Will delete the old one.
>>
>>51994864
Stallman uses a Thinkpad X60.

>>51994884
It's outdated. His Lemote was stolen in Latin America.
>>
Anyone with any feedback on the general recommendation at >>51994265? I will fix/alter anything if proper suggestion given
>>
>>51994893
Fair enough, but the point I was making is that he there are in fact 100% free systems.
>>
>>51994826
>some_command $(cat file1) $(cat file2)
the fuck kind of programs are you using that expect the output of another program as arguments?

i'm pretty sure whatever you're doing, you're doing it wrong
>>
>>51994642
If I want the most user friendly distro with the best support, what would I choose if not ubuntu?
>>
>>51994838
you're being paranoid

i've spent less time keeping arch up to date than i did upgrading ubuntu every 6 months
>>
>>51994642
Because Mint is really the best option.
>>
>>51994781
Don't have people ping google to test their internet. Ping www.example.com
>>
>>51994986
>best support
Mint
>>
>>51994999
So, what you're saying is that I could basically not touch my computer for months with Arch installed, and everything would be rainbows when I come back to actually update it?
>>
>>51994853
Thanks, guess i'll have to learn how to do file input or at least stdin in python.
>>
>>51995005
Noted, will fix.
Is there any specefic reason why people should choose to ping example over google?
>>51995017
Installing the packages carefully will pretty much ensure your stability.
>>
>>51995017
It shouldn't be a problem.
>>
Hello all!
Ive got some problems here with creating an usb installer for windows from arch.
i tried the terminal way with dd, selecting the usb drive and the windows iso file. but this wont boot.
i tried it afterwards with a linux mint iso and this worked.

what do i need to change so it works for windows iso's? just trying to install win7 on the thinkpad of my dad
>>
>>51995017
i haven't had much problem with jumping forward a few months at a time

that's about how often i update my laptop, and it's running arch, too
>>
>>51995044
use WinUSB. Trust me it would work.
>>
>>51995044
Sorry, forgot the command i used:
dd bs=4M if=/path/to/archlinux.iso of=/dev/sdx && sync
>>
>>51995036
Just google is a shit service, and overused, and sites like www.example.com are intended for pings and placeholoders and whatnot.

Also with CISA passing, the paranoid statement "simply pinging Google will start government tracking on you" has become a reality.
>>
>>51991865
Whoops, thread dead.
QEMU Windows with gpu passthrough.
>>
>>51995058
that only works for hybrid iso's (at this point, basically everything except for windows, because fuck you)
>>
>>51995071
That is FUD at its best. We're just fucking pinging.
>>
>>51995044
WinUSB is probably the best way to go.
Windows just isn't made for installation from USB media, it involves all sorts of trickery unless you use something like WinUSB.
Unetbootin might work too.
>>
>>51995071
>>51995086

Forgot to add that example.com has a higher unlikelihood of downtimes than google.
>>
>>51995058
See >>51995054. I ran into the same problem when I tried to install Win 7 into my relative's machine.
>>
>>51995082
oh that sucks^^ wish i knew that before

>>51995054
makepgg failed and coudnt create winusb
seems like a known issue

any other alternatives? i tried unetbootin but this didnt worked either
>>
>>51995097
I didn't know about winusb and just used rufus from a windows vm for that, unetbootin didn't work for me for some reason.
>>
>>51995107
i've successfully used winusb before, it can be finicky though
>>
How best can I run Linux Mint Purely off USB? I've got a macbook for free that only has a single working USB port, and the thing refuses to work with hard drives to get an OS installed, it just crashes after a short while of trying to write to one

so like, is there any way I can fully install to a flash drive and install programs and the like to it as well?
>>
>>51995107
Use ArchLinuxFR's repo for installing WinUSB: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Unofficial_user_repositories#archlinuxfr
>>
>>51995119
ps. if you get it to work, dump the drive you make with dd, that way you have a disk image that CAN be dd'd to a new disk as required
>>
>>51995044
Just use rufus, it'll probably run through wine

https://rufus.akeo.ie/
>>
I am looking at buying a webcam, but I am concerned about getting one that may not work under Linux. Does any one have any experience with this? Do webcams generally 'just werk' or is there a lack of driver support in some areas?

I am partly asking this because the main webcam I was looking at, the HUSKtech AMC 130B, seems miserably represented online. I do not want to buy it and find then that I need to learn to write linux drivers.
>>
>>51995148
https://h-node.org/webcams/catalogue
>>
>>51994922
After I've follows your guide, grub didn't boot for me when I've installed it on /dev/sda2 with "grub-install /dev/sda2".
I successfully installed it when I've used the "grub-install /dev/sda" command instead of "grub-install /dev/sda2".
This was made in Legacy mode with old BIOS.
>>
>>51995058
This is what I always do and it always works with Arch:
umount /dev/sdXY

sudo dd if=/path/to/iso of=/dev/sdX bs=4M status=progress && sync
>>
>>51995124
Well, you need one that is sufficiently big, I do not know the default size of a mint install, but that should be no major problem.

Then, when you install it (the same as normal), you should get a chance to select the disk to install to. You select the USB drive, and there it goes.

If you want your homefolder on the HDD of you laptop, you may be able to select this in the installer. Otherwise, you probably just need to format it correctly, and add an entry in /etc/fstab to tell it the name of the disk and where to mount it (/home).
>>
>>51995165
Because it was actually grub-install /dev/sda.
>>
>>51994247
BIOS mode install, grub-install --recheck /dev/sda will be enough.
>>
>>51995168
not for windows iso's
>>
>>51995178
But when I try to install while running it live from the USB it doesn't give me the option of selecting the other flash drive I have in the USB hub
>>
>>51995165
yup, it actually should be grub-install /dev/sda
>>
>>51995164
This camera is not listed there.

That may be a bad sign. . .
>>
>>51995198
Because h-node only lists "free software", or basically drivers with open source codes.

Or try to be like this man:
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1047633/one-writes-linux-drivers-235-usb-webcams
>>
>>51995188
>>51995197
Thanks anon
>>
>>51995192
Does it give you a 'manual' option?

you can see disc names in the terminal with lsblk. Format them with cfdisk, and mkfs.ext4 (or whatever). Then mount them according to its instructions.

Otherwise, I am not sure. I could try to mess around with it but I would neet to get the mint installer.
>>
>>51994247
>>51994265
>not adding your user to wheel and simply uncommenting the wheel group in sudoers instead of adding yourself
>>
>>51995223
I've addressed it on >>51994295 and >>51994347
>>
>>51995228
Ah. My bad senpai.
>>
Does Wayland have any way of turning on "sticky keys" mode?
The modifiers on my laptop keyboard are broken; they are recognised fine by themselves, but they refuse to modify anything. I've been using sticky keys as a workaround for that.
>>
>>51994561
Things that never happened: The post
>>
>>51995126
Thanks for the hint!
ive managed to install it.

at first it gave me an error that it cant create folders in media wich it needs for writing to the usb drive. it was a conflict with autofs.
i stopped autofs and now i writes to the drive.
gonna give you guys feedback if it worked.

thanks for the help!
>>
>>51995205
Ah. Thank you. I can try to see more clearly the chipset that it has, as it may be able to run under a driver otherwise avaliable. Otherwise I can get a different camera.

I would prefer a free driver if possible. So we shall see. . .

Additionally, that fellow is quite impressive. Perhaps I shall try. . .
>>
Installing Arch.2015.png
2 MB, 2720x8048
>>51994247
>>51994265
>>51994653
>>51994781
>>51994804
>>51994347
>>51995223
Thanks for the feedback, anons.
>>
File: Arch_recommendations.png (957 KB, 2646x6592) Image search: [Google]
Arch_recommendations.png
957 KB, 2646x6592
>>51995300
>>
>>51995307
>Pain.NET alternative
>Pain

Eheheh
>>
>>51994443
Nope. Cocoa is not network transparent like X is.
>>
File: 1449084220313.jpg (32 KB, 428x510) Image search: [Google]
1449084220313.jpg
32 KB, 428x510
>>51995334
KEK
Thanks
>>
Does it always take a while to burn an iso with winusb on an usb stick?
its stuck for like 20 minutes at
"installing i386-pc for your platform"
>>
>>51995520
>burn an iso on a usb stick
>>
>>51995520
Depends on your hardware honestly.

On my older PC a 4gb Windows iso took a good while if I was trying to write it.
>>
File: 1450251485122.gif (777 KB, 233x173) Image search: [Google]
1450251485122.gif
777 KB, 233x173
>>51995520
What exactly are you doing this time, anon?
>>
Nobody here with some VPN knowledge?
>>51994865
>>
>>51995520
>winusb
Use win32diskimager or rufus.
>>
>>51995541
Uh no it's depend on the write speed of the usb idiot
>>
>>51995683
Which does depend on the hardware
>>
how to take out some of the packages from the official (g/k/l/m/x)ubuntu release image .iso to make it fit a cd?
>>
>>51995883
For what purpose?
>>
>>51995889
>to make it fit a cd
>>
>>51995898
Advantage of the CD vs DVD?
>>
>>51995883
Here's how you do it with manjaro. Dunno about *ubuntu though
>>51995906
>2015-1
>CD
>>
>>51995916
forgot the link
https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=ManjaroISO
>>
>>51995931
>Manjaro
http://archive.is/JeOLo
>>
>>51995898
I think you can split the iso into 2/3 cds, did something similar with usb drives and win 7 a while back.
>>
What is the Linux equivalent of Process Hacker/Explorer?
>>
>>51995936
What kind of a retard are you, kid? I bet you use antergos.
>>
>>51995941
H T O P
T
O
P
>>
>>51995944
At least he uses a distro that doesn't forget to update the certificates and use a lame workaround.
>>
File: 1304376955940.png (844 KB, 2300x2540) Image search: [Google]
1304376955940.png
844 KB, 2300x2540
>>51995936
le >manjaro xDDD
>>
im off work until after christmas and I've got a spare SSD sitting around so i was looking to swap my single drive install over to raid as a learning exercise. I've read over it and mostly seem to be ok with what I have to do but the bit I can't figure out is how i handle my uefi partition
am i being stupid even considering softraid?
>>
>manjaro
>holding pkgs for weeks == security
>>
>>51995971
>Using a completely useless distro
>Using a distro that doesn't even have devs who are competent enough to write an installer by their own
>Installer written in python
You tell me
>>
>>51994684
Anyone?
>>
>>51995993
>manjaro
>holding xorg-1.18 for the lack of catalyst support
>not needing to rebuilding AUR packages because of C++ ABI change
>>
>>51996015
to rebuild*
>>
>>51996007
>Solus OS
>Sol
>Sun
>light
>ILLUMINATI
>>
>>51996026
found the underage
>>
>arch + i3
>terminator and termite (possibly more?) have characters overlapping all over the place
>rxvt seems to work
I'm cool with rxvt but what's this about? Even setting I3's fonts to monospace doesn't fix it, do they normally have this out of the box?
>>
>>51996007
The only + point in Solus is Budgie.
>>
>>51996026
Leave.
>>
>>51996044
I had the same issue but I'm just using urxvt instead now, doesn't really matter. Terminal is terminal.
>>
>>51996054
It seems so. I kinda wish budgie was available on different distros. I'm kind of against using obscure stuff.

However I'm all about having things just working and if it does that, it may be appealing enough.
>>
File: sponge.webm (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
sponge.webm
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>51994090
I was thinking of returning from Win 8 to Arch. Is there an easy tutorial for VGA-passthrough yet? The one in the wiki seems a bit dated.
>>
>>51996061
Yeah what I thought, everything else seems to be working fine. Ah well I'll leave it unresolved.

And how come I can't have both vim and gvim installed? Apparently dependency conflicts
>>
>>51996086
there is a thread in the forum with a link in the op for an up to date how to
>>
>>51995551
I wrote a windows iso from arch linux with winusb on an usb stick.
>>51995541
yeah it just took awhile. but it finished.
i thought that it may result in an error or so, but it was just a long loading time
>>
>>51996080
Manjaro released a budgie desktop few days ago. But since it's a community project, never tried it
>>
>>51996080
AUR has Budgie.

>>51996129
Stop recommending shit distro.
>>
>>51996080
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Budgie_Desktop
>>
>>51996155
>AUR
Nice
>>
>>51996129
Yeah I think I'll pass. Never had good experiences with manjaro spins like that. Official ones though are usually fine.

Except for KDE but I don't use KDE.

>>51996140
Figures. The issue is how stable it is in comparison to whatever Solus has.

Hell, like Unity. Wouldn't say it's good in my opinion but it's pretty crappy on Arch for logical reasons.
>>
>bugie_Desktop
>>
>>51996169
Who are you quoting?
>>
>>51996140
>implying budgie is not shit atm in the first place
>>
>>51996193
see >>51996183
>>
>budgie is buggy atm
>>
>>51996169
>>51996193
>>51996200
>being this new
>>
>>51996090
>I can't have both vim and gvim installed?
What?
>>
>>51996240
Figured it out, on Windows they're like two separate applications. Thought vim = just in terminal, gvim = just with gui
>>
>>51996240
He just said what and why
>>
trenta os looks nice, anyone here tried?
>>
>>51996240
>>
>>51996247
What the fuck is Trenta OS?
>>
>>51996284
>based on ubuntu
>Gnome shell
>some hipster browser that not even /g/ uses
bool drop = true
>>
>>51996267
gvim provides vim, so just install that to have both?
>>
>>51996421
You could try that out. I actually don't use vim that much
>>
>>51996421
>>51996433
Anon who asked the question here, yeah gvim had both so already had everything I needed
>>
>>51994159
Why not use dd on gnu + linux?
>>
>>51994246
Why would you change your browser on opensuse? They even patched the file chooser.
>>
>>51994769
>implying guixsd isn't god tier
I will switch to it fully after there is a stable release.
>>
why is solarized so popular? it's ugly af
>>
>>51996723
>guixsd
the package manager that makes me puke
>>
>>51996668
>still mentioning gnu
autism: the post
>>
>>51996965
>not mentioning gnu
edgy: the post
>>
>>51996965
dd is a gnu coreutil on most distros so this is appropriate
>>
>>51996965
why do you hate freedom?
>>
>>51996985
to be honest, in a typical "GNU/"Linux distro, GNU is not the big fish anymore (from LOC perspective.

Even the kernel has more LOC than GNU. The composition would be: 9% Linux, 8% GNU, 6% Mozilla, 5% systemd, 3% Xorg, 6% GNOME/KDE (depending on your DE)

So, if anything, it is Linux/GNU, not GNU/Linux.
>>
>>51997019
>5% Mozilla
And that's assuming if you have firefox on your distro
>>
>>51997032
>assuming you have firefox on your distro
Most distro by default ships with Firefox (or its devariative, Iceweasel). My point still stands.
>>
>>51997032
If you change the logo the code will still be from Mozilla
>>
>>51997052
But doesn't GNU have a rule that every code that has the name GNU is a GNU code, not Mozilla code?
e.g.: IceCat = GNU code, not Mozilla code
>>
>>51997069
Are you telling me GNU steals code or that they wrote that browser from scratch?
>>
>>51997069
Now this is pure autism from a FSF retard.
>>
File: 1444900684767.png (331 KB, 671x1047) Image search: [Google]
1444900684767.png
331 KB, 671x1047
For somebody whose main hobby is playing vidya on Steam, would it still be worth switching over to Linux?

Shouldn't I stick to Windows since most video games are broken or don't work properly with Linux?
>>
>>51996782
a lot of ugly things are popular, anon

best not to let it get to you
>>
>>51997109
Why are you even here and considering it?
>>
>>51997069
agreed, even linux uses GNU GPL. so Linux is a part of GNU.
>>
>>51997121
Linux just seems neet and I'm willing to learn man.
I just don't want to lose my vidya.
>>
>>51997109
>i use my computer primarity to run programs that are only made for OS A
>should i use OS B?
you can figure this out, anon! i believe in you!
>>
>>51997132
Unless you only play old stuff you probably will run into compatibility or performance problems
>>
>>51997129
This is why I never let anyone else make an /flt/ thread.
>>
>>51997019
you know that GNOME is "GNU Object Model Environment" right? it's more or less a part of GNU.
>>
>>51997132
if it simply interests you, then play with it in a VM, make a server/NAS/HTPC/etc with it, run it on your laptop or some other non-gaming machine, etc
it doesn't have to be your daily-driving-desktop to be useful to you
>>
>>51997109
just dual-boot and have some fun. maybe you can even get a gpu-passthrough to work on your computer one day.
>>
>>51997153
It was GNU. Remember my word, was. I separated GNOME from GNU because GNOME is effectively independent from GNU.

https://mail.gnome.org/archives/foundation-list/2009-December/msg00058.html
>>
>>51997109
>vidya
>linux
No, just don't it's not worth it. Stick to Windows for vidya
>>
Do people actually like GNOME3?
>>
>>51997109
some games will rune natively, some will run using wine or similar, but a lot of them just won't work. especially newer games. performance is also generally worse.

you can always dual boot windows and linux. you might also be able to set up windows on top of qemu or similar.
>>
>>51997153
That initialism is outdated. They've changed the project name as simply "GNU Gnome".
>>
>>51997019
It's not about being "a big fish". GNU's role in the system is to be the fundamental OS. GNU together with Linux form the fundamental system in a GNU+Linux system. Software like systemd, xorg, Firefox are all additions to the GNU+Linux system. GNU comes first in the naming because the project is older than Linux.
>>
>>51997229
>generally worse
it is worse most of the time but there are games that run better on GNU/Linux than on windows when using the right drivers.
>>
File: untitled.png (536 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
untitled.png
536 KB, 1366x768
For the life of me, I can't fix my screenfetch. In front of OS it shows "ubuntu Ubuntu 15.10" showing OS name twice which is fucking annoying at this point. Is there a way I can fix this? Google search did not offer me any clues.
>>
>>51997279
this is the reason i choose to call it GNU/Linux.
>>
>>51997176
http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/141114/what-is-the-relationship-between-gnu-and-gnome
>>
>>51997291
That's still more the exception that proves the rule, it's nice when it happens but you really shouldn't expect it.
>>
>>51997279
While GNU is substantial and important, but GNU can't boot without Linux and an init, which is systemd. After we starting to boot an OS, we load the KERNEL first, then the init, then the coreutils. So, if anything, it's Linux/systemd/GNU. In case of Linux-libre or HURD, which is under GNU's full control, it's GNU/systemd.

>>51997314
>It is safe to say that GNOME as an entity is independent of GNU, even though they are historically and technically related.
So? My point stands.
>>
>>51997291
Most games that run better on linux are things like xonotic. Shadow of Mordor / SRIV aren't exactly games that will run better there.
>>
>>51997296
dunno, run it with "-v"
>>
>>51997337
All the GNU projects are entities independent of GNU. Just because they have their own system of administration doesn't imply that they don't respond to the GNU project's direction. The GNU project has directed Gnome to change direction about how they do things in the past and I'm confident that they still maintain that directorial control over Gnome.
>>
>>51997296
read screenfetch source code and see how it fetches OS name.
>>
>>51997337
>but GNU can't boot without Linux and an init, which is systemd.
True and false. A GNU can boot without systemd because it has its own init system. Linux is obviously a fundamental part of a GNU/Linux system and so, Linux deserves a fundamental part of the name. The GNU name comes first because it was started in 1983 while Linux came in 1991.
>>
>>51997384
Directorial control? No. GNOME Foundation no longer calls to GNU's calling, IIRC GNOME's Board of Directors (as of now) composed of 0% FSF members. But FSF is one of GNOME's advisory board member.

https://wiki.gnome.org/AdvisoryBoard
>>
So since using Linux I have realized that I'm not near as tech savvy as I once thought. It's kind of depressing.
>>
>>51997399
>init system
Which is obsolete.

>GNU comes first
Irrelevant. Just because GNU comes first doesn't mean you can make GNU the first one in GNU/Linux.

Let's face it. No one with a sane brain in the world (except FSF and Debian) calls it "GNU"/Linux. They always name it Linux.
>>
>>51997361
I was talking about Valve Games actually. especially CS:GO
>>
>>51997296
What's the output of
lsb_release -cdir
>>
>>51997473
>LSB
>implying Ubuntu conforms with LSB
>>
>>51997412
You don't have to be a FSF member to be part of the team of an individual GNU project. To be part of the GNU project simply means that the GNU project has the right to control the direction of the individual project and also it has the right to relicense the project at will (usually for the purpose of upgrading the GPL license when it happens).
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-22_15-16-04.png (24 KB, 1708x105) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-22_15-16-04.png
24 KB, 1708x105
>>51997443
GNU dmd is in heavy development and will compete with systemd
also in more technical documentation, most distros use GNU/Linux to refer to an OS.
>>
>>51997473
Distributor ID:    Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 15.10
Release: 15.10
Codename: wily
>>
>>51997429
"tech savvyness" is an umbrella term for "I can read and use google because I'm not a complete fucking retard".
>>
File: microsoft india.jpg (304 KB, 1266x1722) Image search: [Google]
microsoft india.jpg
304 KB, 1266x1722
>>51997296
why do you people even care?
it's just a pointless fucking script that you will run once or twice in your life time and forget about it's existence

It LITERALLY doesn't affect the way the system functions and your workflow.
>>
>>51997488
>implying he doesn't have screenfetch installed

>>51997498
Dunno, looks normal to me. I don't even see how it would output 'ubuntu' uncapitalized since in source it's always distro="Ubuntu"
>>
>>51997490
Here is the problem: GNU Project has no *complete* control of the project. GNU can claim that GNOME is a GNU package, but GNU can't just steer GNOME.
>>
>>51997443
People are taught something that they don't understand; this overloaded name has lead people to get confused about the nature of what's involved. This is the reason why Stallman teaches what he says in order to improve clarity in this one specific case.
>>
>>51997545
>>51997488
wait I misread conforms as comes. Nvm.
>>
>>51997458
I beg to differ. I get around 170fps under the same settings on Windows, while on open source amd drivers on ubuntu 15.10 I get around 130. It runs fairly well to be honest, but I got better results out of CS:S. Too bad I don't play that one.
>>
File: ss+(2015-12-22+at+03.23.19).png (13 KB, 638x550) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2015-12-22+at+03.23.19).png
13 KB, 638x550
Latest Arch package. Virtualbox install. Finished install, boots into this. What do /flt/?
>>
Any recommended distros for an old laptop with a 166 MHz Pentium and 32 MB of RAM?
>>
>>51997564
OpenBSD or NetBSD

There's also shit like alpine and void linux
>>
>>51997550
I believe GNU has complete control over Gnome because they have never formally disassociated from GNU.
>>
>>51997537
when the main reason you got your OS was to post your hacker arch screen in desktop threads it's very important
>>
>>51997590
>Formally
Formalities are bullshit. We're talking about practical control.
>>
>>51997564
probably something very specified and minimal.

a gentoo/lsf installation would be the most optimal.

but try puppylinux/damnSmallLinux first.
>>
Anyone able to give me some advice about gentoo? >>51997054

>>51997213
I dislike some unconfigurable parts but apart from that, yes. I pretty much don't need to use my mouse.
>>
>>51997583
Never actually tried BSD before, so that sounds like a plan, thanks man.
>>
>>51997623
I believe GNU has complete practical control over Gnome because they have never formally disassociated from GNU.
>>
>>51997590
whether they do or not is hardly important because none of the two parties actually give a shit.
>>
>>51997639
>formally
See >>51997623
>>
>>51997556
on amd open drivers this is true but some people with the proprietary nvidia drivers get way better results than on windows or through wine. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkDnbi0N7qM&app=desktop
>>
>>51997654
GNU has complete practical control over Gnome
>>
>>51997630
Be aware there might be some behavior you find unusual coming from gnu and linux. By default BSDs ship with csh or ksh because of licensing. Bash is usually available as a package but you'll have to install it after the OS itself is installed.
>>
>>51997673
And your base of your argument is?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.