[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>https://android.googlesource.com/p latform/ndk.git/+/mas
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: gcc_deprecated.png (139 KB, 706x674) Image search: [Google]
gcc_deprecated.png
139 KB, 706x674
>https://android.googlesource.com/platform/ndk.git/+/master/CHANGELOG.md
>Everyone should be switching to Clang
>GCC in the NDK is now deprecated.

Just in case you missed it, /gee/
>>
gcc really is fucked
you can even compile CDE (!) with clang now
it's all over gnu boyz
>>
The only thing GCC is good for is compiling Clang.
>>
>>51994415
and even that usage is tenuous at best

<insert picture of penn jillette>
>>
>>51993900
you still can't fully compile linux with clang
>>
>>51994415
Ouch
>>
>>51994415
What about Linux kernel? You can't compile it with Clang.
>>
>>51995796
>>51996591

LLVM
>>
>>51996764
What about it?
>>
>>51993900
"Stop liking what I don't like."
"Maybe if I call it 'deprecated' I can make people stop using it."

4chan, never change.
>>
>>51995796
>>51996591

>be linus
>drone on about how great C is
>write Linux in nonstandard C
>lock my kernel to one compiler
>>
>>51996814
I agree, C is a terrible programming language.
>>
>>51993900
/r/ing deprecated png
>>
It's Jews not wanting to give back and going for software with cancerous permissive licenses.

You shouldn't celebrate the loss of freedom.
>>
>>51996868

>not wanting to give back
>LLVM was developed from scratch by apple
>gave it away rather than keep it closed source

This is the only time open sores is successful. When a for profit company realizes a program is easier to maintain/develop when open source.
>>
>>51996883
>LLVM was developed from scratch by apple

>The LLVM project started in 2000 at the University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign, under the direction of Vikram Adve and Chris Lattner. LLVM was originally developed as a research infrastructure to investigate dynamic compilation techniques for static and dynamic programming languages.
>>
>>51996883
Apple didn't develop LLVM it was a research project at a university Apple just hired the lead devs to work on it and probably persuaded them to release it under a permissive license.
>>
>>51996814
Back in the day, GCC was the ONLY compiler and C didn't have a clean standard.

The only alternatives to C would have been Lisp, BASIC, etc.

Now get off my lawn, underaged b&
>>
>>51996797
they successfully compiled an experimental version of the kernel with llvm/clang a while ago. not ready for stable use yet, but we'll get there eventually
>>
>>51993900
How long have you been saying this and how many times have you been wrong? [spoiler]it's been 100%[/spoiler]
>>
>>51997495

IIRC, Linus has strongly endorsed making Linux compilable by clang and the core has been for quite some time now. The problem is that many of the drivers still use incompatible gcc-isms and are 'owned' by people who only do occasional driver work based on hardware release schedules.

If linux were proprietary, then Linus could order them to fix their code or get fired, but, since this is open sores, everyone gets to wait around for some USB camera manufacturer to let its driver programmer spend 100 hours removing VLAISes from his code.
>>
>>51997663
This shit pisses me off. Chances are these drivers that are incompatible with clang have other major issues anyway, considering they're written by lazy retards who feel that they need to use seriously nonstandard C. Even standard C89 is plenty permissive to write any driver necessary, and the fact that shitty drivers got into the kernel in the first place IS Linus' fault, so he should be the one to fix it by dumping support for that shit.
>>
>>51997818
Linus cares more about Linux working today over your hangup over "pure C". Well Linux works today with GCC.
>>
File: tumblr_mgxmnoai6W1qzcv7no1_540.png (266 KB, 540x369) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mgxmnoai6W1qzcv7no1_540.png
266 KB, 540x369
>>51993900
>implying Clang isn't deprecated as well
>mfw
Source: https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!msg/boring-crypto/48qa1kWignU/o8GGp2K1DAAJ
>>
I would use it because it compiles slightly faster but it doesn't work so I don't.
>>
File: 1212221707.jpg (60 KB, 682x512) Image search: [Google]
1212221707.jpg
60 KB, 682x512
>almost 2016
>not writing your native code in Rust
>>
>>51996868
>You shouldn't celebrate the loss of freedom.
True freedom is giving your code away for free to companies that could buy small continents so it may be used to further increase their dominion on all things technology. I fucking love that the likes of Microsoft, Apple and Google are the leaders of open source.
>>
>>51998814
Free software is more important than personal freedom you amoral psychopath :3
>>
>>51996883

>only time open sores is successful

gcc is 30 years old
not written by a company
>>
>>51998474
this
/thread
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.