[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I was thinking of buying one of these to make a dedicated web
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: classy.jpg (22 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
classy.jpg
22 KB, 300x300
I was thinking of buying one of these to make a dedicated web server with (for personal use/fun). Will I regret it?
>>
>>51993571
Who are we to know if you will regret it?
Will you learn a lot in the process?
yes
You can always re-purpose it into something else if you do have ragrets.
>>
>>51993571
Why would you regret it? Sure you can regret that it was bunch of work but most people will be proud of their work even with all the time and effort invested in it. Besides that, I don't really see a reason to regret, besides the thing not being a very powerful server and regretting you should've used a better server hardware but you probably know that already too.
>>
Don't use it to run anything intensive and you should be good to go. Use it as your own iCloud or photo sharing server, if all else fails, just rebuild the pi into a pirate box
>>
>>51993571

You should get yourself an arduino as well if you're going to get that package. Get yourself a chinese clone, they're good enough!
>>
>>51994680
>Not supporting the original devs but supporting Chinese shit
Kill yourself
>>
>>51993571
>will I regret it?
Yes. Why? Because it shares the USB bus with the Ethernet. You'll get amazingly bad transfer speeds.

Try this instead:
http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php
>>
File: 1450657480125-v.png (226 KB, 451x646) Image search: [Google]
1450657480125-v.png
226 KB, 451x646
>>51994997
Supporting brain dead, censor loving hipsters. Nah brah.
>>
Raspberry pi is just a fad, most are collecting dust, the others are cheap media centres. Always remember it was designed for kids to use, the pi is nothing more than a kids toy.
>>
>>51995167
>brain dead
>censor loving
Making the whole project open source that is potentially worth millions is censor loving?
You are just too poor to get original one aren't you?
>>
>>51993571
Just get a vps anon
>>
you'll regret it. you'll learn plenty fucking around with an rpi, but it's not a decent investment.

instead, get an offlease/used business laptop, like from dell or hp outlet sites. will run you $200 or less for a 2-3+ gen old intel machine with the windows license should you not actually need a server (just backup before wiping)
>>
>>51995200
You probably wont regret it (got most of my linux knowledgge with the old model B), but don't buy the GPIO stuff in your pic until you really have a use for it/just want a server.
Just the Pi + Cheap case + Adapter.
Those GPIO kits are usually a bad idea because a lot of manufacturers use them to dump some useless components in and sell them overpriced.

>>51995200
You might want to rethink this given that you can easily find ~100 dissertations using it

>>51995138
You may consider this if you are sure you need the extra transfer speed. It is not 'amazingly bad' in my experience except if you transfer over USB and ethernet at the same time (e.g. NAS/streaming from usb to network).
The XU4 is much faster at the cost of higher price, expensive eMMC and less support.

>>51994680
If all your server needs can fit on 32KB this is an option
>>
>>51993571
>>51995353
This. Unless OP needs a local server, a cheap vps would most likely be a better option.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.