[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have to take a foreign language in college. Will either of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 10
File: France-and-Spainflags.jpg (24 KB, 481x322) Image search: [Google]
France-and-Spainflags.jpg
24 KB, 481x322
I have to take a foreign language in college.
Will either of these be useful in the IT field?
>>
french will be extinct in a few years; replaced with arabic

go spanish
>>
If you're in murrica then you damn well know that no one speaks French here
>>
>>51993155
XD /r/4chan here we come XDD
>>
A lot of sjw schools are starting to call them "modern languages" instead. If that's the case at your school, then you could make a strong case just to take your school's intro OOP course.
>>
>>51993286
Kill yourself my man
>>
>>51993139
Just develop an Indian accent. You don't even have to learn the language.
>>
>>51993352
How should I do it?
>>
>>51993139
arabic will become the new official french language in a couple of years
spanish will become the new official USA language in a couple of years
guess which one will be more useful
>>
>>51993378
English.
>>
File: 1445279239890.png (395 KB, 827x681) Image search: [Google]
1445279239890.png
395 KB, 827x681
>>51993378
chinese
>>
>>51993390
nobody speaks chinese outside of china

>>51993139
just pick whatever you want
i completed my foreign language requirement with 2 semesters of japanese and I still don't know jap
>>
>>51993139
Spanish definitely unless you plan to move to france, there is a lot of money to be made out of spics.
>>
>>51993405
Why do you guys have to take a language?>>51993139
>>
>>51993405
Chinese is not a language tough.
>>
>>51993436
high schools and colleges typically force you to take 1-2 semesters of a foreign language because muh well rounded educashun
Nobody learns anything.
And even if they do, they usually don't retain much.
>>
>>51993341
Are there any other still spoken? What do those schools consider "non-modern" language?
>>
>>51993405
>nobody speaks chinese outside of china
that still gives you about a billion more people you can communicate with.

also, anyone with a practical grasp of things could tell you that aside from English, the uninformed best guess about the next most useful language for business is Chinese.

If you have special information, like knowledge that your career is going to involve the diamond exchange or something, then the prudent advice would be to learn dutch or german or french or something.

all that being said,
>just pick whatever you want
this is the right answer. if language isn't a core part of your life (and i assume it's not since you're taking secondary languages in college, and not elementary school or something, and you're asking the technology board about it like a truly literal retard), then the language requirement is incidental.

maybe it'll be good for teaching you humility (autistic people who excel in tech shit tend to think that they're higher order beings, and struggling to pass an introductory language course might be good for your ego), but otherwise don't dwell on this decision.
>>
>>51993476
Is this a US thing?
>>
Do people even learn languages when it's mandatory in high school and college? I don't remember too many people caring or remembering shit
>>
>>51993508
not him, but yes. but in the US, education leading to university is really poorly regulated, and as a result universities can't be certain that everyone knows any particular thing.

education is handled at the state level, and in some states (like california) there are fairly good state-wide requirements, but in states like alabama a high school graduate probably doesn't know anything.

university general education requirements came about because even though universities might generally take from their own state (making it easier to predict preparedness), it's not a perfect system, and out-of-state (and worse, international) students make it a lot more complicated.

I've also heard that in the EU (or some countries in the EU, or something) there's a level of schooling before university but after what we would consider high school or secondary school. it sounded more in line with community college when i heard about it, which is a cheaper, general education local college that's not accredited to give bachelors' degrees. still, it handles the problem of general education in a much less costly way than doing it at university properly.

the way it works (if you go the community college route) is that you do high school, then ~2 years of CC (satisfying general education and lower division requirements), then transfer and do ~2 years at university (doing mostly major-related coursework).
>>
Learn Hindi or Mandarin
>>
File: m.jpg (44 KB, 450x403) Image search: [Google]
m.jpg
44 KB, 450x403
>>51993139
French if you plan on working with anything related to R&D. French government is subsidising research a lot (tax breaks and shit)(Source: math researcher for huawei in France). Most new research centers in Europe are in France because of this. Also English is roughly French + German, so it will be easier.

Spanish if you want to understand what your servants/workers/underlings say behind your back.

Seriously though learning another Latin language is easy after the first one. I.e. learn French or Spanish or Italian or Portuguese, and the rest will come easily (I speak French Spanish and Italian).
>>
>>51993139
Translator I guess
>>
>>51993476
>>51993508
In australia we had to learn Japanese. I hated it and now years later all i remember is how to count to 6. Ichi Ni San Si go roku.
>>
>>51993139
Choisis la France! :^)
>>
Just pick what you like.
French is harder than spanish but they're both latin languages so you should be ok
Source: I'm french and speak spanish
>>
File: 1313377184940.jpg (253 KB, 1000x562) Image search: [Google]
1313377184940.jpg
253 KB, 1000x562
>>51995529
>He didn't choose grorious German as his first or second language in junior high
>>
File: check this out.jpg (25 KB, 500x433) Image search: [Google]
check this out.jpg
25 KB, 500x433
>>51995666
Trips confirm.
>>
Japanese or Chinese, everything else is a waste of time.
>>
>>51993627
Sounds like a not-completely-accurate description of a sixth-form college.
>>
File: Semaphore-1910s.jpg~original.jpg (556 KB, 1101x1296) Image search: [Google]
Semaphore-1910s.jpg~original.jpg
556 KB, 1101x1296
>>51993139
Semaphore? I suppose it might be useful for something.
>>
>>51993390
50/10

Any Euro or Middle Eastern Language.

>>51993505
That gives you a billion people you can write to. China does not have a unified spoken language.
>>
took german for a quarter few years ago.

keeping it up with duolingo and a workbook, going ok i guess. would be my third language, probably want to do esperanto next for no reason.
>>
It's pointless to study chinese outside China, you have to live there to reach at least some kind of proficiency level
>>
For IT you'd be best going with Chinese or Japanese. Or maybe Korean.
>>
Russian or chinese
I expect the roman empire

I mean the united states of europe and murrica to fall down
>>
>>51996109
> Or maybe Korean.
Currently doing Korean myself. Fun language. Easy to start off with, but really complicated once you get past the
>this alphabet is so easy, why didn't I learn Korean earlier
Phase.
Planing to do Chinese after that. Will try to get a part time job in Korea or a remote working part time job so that I can study Korean full time and work at the same. time.
Once the Chinese air is better I might move there.
>>
>>51993139
One single foreign language?

Anglo scum.
>>
Spaniard here

Don't learn spanish, it's laughable. It's much more difficult to reach that level of fluency you require for people to think you're not a foreigner here.
>>
>>51996596
nobody learns spanish for spain, mang. im pretty certain OP is ameritard, so investing in spanish is a good idea, because itll be their national language soon anyway
>>
I can't imagine any foreign languages being useful in IT unless you were tech support.

Some pretty good gigs in Japan if you learn their language, but otherwise you're good with just English.
>>
>>51993364
1. Travel to France.
2. Buy bomb.
3. Anhero Akbar.
>>
Russian, because CYKA BLYAT
>>
File: Untitled.png (55 KB, 2000x1000) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
55 KB, 2000x1000
>>51993139
>nearly 2016
>not being fluent in at least two languages
education must suck in your third world country
>>
>>51996661
>Some pretty good gigs in Japan if you learn their language
>weeaboo shit

>>51996661
>but otherwise you're good with just English
>this mentally slow
>>
>>51996489
>Once the Chinese air is better I might move there.

But you'll be dead by then.
>>
Whatever you want, it's impossible to learn a language at gunpoint so just pick whatever you like and use it as an excuse to travel abroad.

Remember kids, always travel abroad or you'll end up being autistic and ignorant.
>>
>>51996596
I don't need them to think I'm a national, I just need to know where the bathroom is or what's in my dinner. If you come to America you'd stick as a foreigner like a sore thumb. Fluency is hard to reach in any language.
>>
>>51996756
Oй, iди нaхyй, хoхoл
>>
>>51993139
None. English is the lingua franca of IT.
Coming from an Italianon.
>>
>>51995835
it's been a few years, so it's possible I'm just remembering the details that seemed to parallel a system I already recognized. I wasn't shopping around for college options - just hearing someone else tell me about their system - so i wasn't taking keen notes.

might've been this sixth form college thing you mention.
>>
>>51996596
protip: no language is easy to learn to pass for native. do you think the people suggesting chinese are pushing for OP to become a native-equivalent speaker?

the point for all but the most serious students of a language is to get to sufficient proficiency that you can articulate yourself in a rudimentary way (e.g. ask where the restrooms are, identify and order food, etc...).
>>
>>51993139
Learn Russian or Cantonese - Mandarin
>>
>>51996940
>Cantonese - Mandarin
fucking mongoloid
>>
>>51993139
No.
The only country in the world that doesn't speak English for IT it fucking Japan.

Look at Maya or 3DSmax, they're in two fucking languages.

English.
And Japanese.

So don't worry for foreign language.
>>
>>51996956
Wow kid, no need to be upset
>>
>>51993139
Take polish or german
>>
>>51996960
>3DSmax
>Available in English, German, French, Brazilian Portuguese, Japanese, Simplified Chinese, Korean
>>
>>51996975
>polish

nice bait
>>
>>51993139
Well think of us eurocucks having to become more or less fluid in your language while still mastering our mother tongue.

I always appreciate it if people try to learn German. But due to the usage of English in the IT world, it's much more important for Germans to learn English than for Americans to learn German even if they plan to work in Germany/with Germans for whatever reason.

[spoiler]also, if I want to stay in Germany I will probably soon have to learn some shitty Durka Durka Mohammed language[/spoiler]
>>
>>51995507
Ecoute ce qu'il dit posteur originel en bon fils de pute que tu es ;)

JE SUIS CHARLIE
E

S
U
I
S

C
H
A
R
L
I
E
>>
>>51998167
revenir à vous reddit pédé français :^)
>>
>>51998554
>to come back to you french reddit faggot :^)
wat
>>
>>51993286
>xD
your post is cancerous and against rules in its all structure..
Janitors can tolerate shitpost but yours is garbage even for them.
>>
File: 56777e5dc3ba0.png (385 KB, 612x342) Image search: [Google]
56777e5dc3ba0.png
385 KB, 612x342
>>51993139
Mexico, Argentina and other Latin American countries are quite relevant in the IT industry. France is not. Go for Spanish.
>>
>>51996596
fuera los horos
>>
I'm thinking about learning russian because I have plans to get into security.
>>
>>51996779

There are tons of programming jobs that want native level English speakers. It's not just weaboo shit. Japanese companies do tons of international work.
>>
>>51993139
can you learn russian instead of those? russian would be better if you want to build awesome botnets, and/or if you want to profit from their high quality devs.
>>
>>51999730
I feel russian would be a great language to learn if you were going into security or malware business.
>>
File: 1449893254275.jpg (14 KB, 249x228) Image search: [Google]
1449893254275.jpg
14 KB, 249x228
>autists into culture for corporate gains and consumerist opportunities instead of glorious human achievement as a species and intellectualism
>>
>>51993489
Probably stuff like Latin or Ancient Greek.

I take it you didn't think very hard about this one.
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.