[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Xeon
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: logo-630x354.1777079574.jpg (78 KB, 630x354) Image search: [Google]
logo-630x354.1777079574.jpg
78 KB, 630x354
Any reason why I shouldn't buy one of these bad boys used over an i5 or even an i7?
Do they overclock well?
>>
Not particularly, it's actually a pretty good way to save money when buying used.
>>
>overclocking workstation hardware
Pretty sure there's a couple de/g/enerates shitposting from overclocked Nehalem-era chips though.
>>
>>51991353
Don't Xeons usually overclock well because of the good chip quality though?
>>
>>51991410
It depends on the model. The newer ones have locked multipliers, or so I have read.

However, that does not mean they are not good choices for everyday use. For most scenarios the standard clock speed will be more than sufficient.
>>
You really can't overclock the newer ones as easily
Sr2 boards and x5650's are for true madmen
>>
>>51991410
Nehalem/Westmere and earlier, yep. Sandy Bridge and newer, no, they're mostly multiplier locked and you can't do much with the base clock.
>>
>>51991295
Overclocking Xeons hasn't worked since X58 chipset days. They're all locked and their baseclocks are all tied to BCLK frequencies (meaning you can't change them).

That being said, the Xeon E3 1231 V3 for $240 is a 4 core CPU with hyper threading that's clocked fairly high to begin with, so it's a fair option if you're on a tight budget.
>>
>>51993728
Whoops, meant their PCIe bus are tied to the baseclock.
>>
fyi lga 2011-3 2xxx xeons are multi unlocked.
>>
>>51991295

I have 4 xeons
2 e5 2680s (8 cores, 16 threads @ 2.7GHz)
2 ES 2643s (4 cores, 8 threads @ 3.3GHz)

You do not buy xeons to overclock
>>
Your money will go farther with the i5/i7 range.
>>
>>51991295
Because by saving your shekels your freeing yourself of intel's shakels!
>>
>>51991295
E3s don't overclock at all, heck they don't even turboboost well either, my E3 1231 V3 hasn't been able to get over 3.6ghz ever. Theoretically it should hit 3.8ghz.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.