[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sup /g/, just installing Mint onto a VM. I'm deciding whether
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
Sup /g/, just installing Mint onto a VM. I'm deciding whether I should switch to Linux. Gonna try out Mint first and see how I like it. Anything I need to know beforehand (recommended programs, settings, etc.)?
>>
File: 1446317647485.jpg (325 KB, 1024x1400) Image search: [Google]
1446317647485.jpg
325 KB, 1024x1400
virtualbox wil feel slow and unatractive
go for dual boot next

sliding terminal is something I recommend to every noob as it felt fucking amazing when I was noob

try tilda, its a nice comfortable customizable terminal that always run in the background and slides down when you press some key, I use the console key under escape. When you then read some guide on how to do something, terminal is right there waiting for you, or you can hide it and let it do its thing...
>>
>>51987859
The update manager will prompt you to switch to a local mirror. Do that.
Enabling automatic security updates takes
dpkg-reconfigure --priority=low unattended-upgrades
>>
>>51987859
from what i remember: they don't have ffmpeg in the official mint repositories.
>>
Never open the default IRC client on Mint because it connects to the Mint channels with your full name in the open automatically. I deleted this fucktrash of an operating system immediately after I discovered this.
>>
>>51987859
livecd/usb is way better. Do that instead of VM.
>>
Good on you. One of the things I always install is "guake" which I feel is the best way to access the terminal when you need it. It also looks cool
>>
>>51987982
I'm not a mint fan, but stop being a sperg
Why woukd you enter your full name if you dont want anyone to knlw it?
>>
>>51987859
awesome wm is pretty nice
>>
>>51988105
mint has some questionable defaults.
>>
>>51987976
Neither is avconv
>>
>>51987953
fuck off with that shit disinfograph
>>
>>51988167
like what?
>>
>>51988270
Firefox extension that adds something like &client=mint to Google searches.
>>
>>51988749
I love mint

But tell me how the fuck can I change my search engine to Google? I've tried e returning except uninstalling firefox, do I need to?
>>
>>51989208
you can change it via the preferences. alternatively, you can install chrome quite easily.
>>
You know what to do.
>>
>>51989264
>installing botnet onto a freshly installed gnu/linux installation
all of my why.jpg
>>
>>51989208
Preferences > Search >Default search engine

or type this into the url bar about:preferences#search
>>
>>51990576
>be me
>install arch
>minimalist tiling wm
>install chrome and Skype
Teehee
>>
Install manjaro
>>
>>51987953
>VIVLADI
KEK
>>
>>51987959
Huh yol thats pretty cool.
>>
>>51987859
Hit CTRL+ ATL +T for terminal then type w/o quotations "sudo apt-get update" to help get things running properly
>>
>>51987859
Mint should have most needed programs running.

Fun using Linux is about using terminal and ricing. Be a touch typist to be fast. Because things are done so efficiently done with Terminal than using mouse.

If after a while you are feeling not into it, better go back to Windows.
>>
>>51994339
You don't know what apt-get update does, do you ?
>>
>>51988749
90% of all oses use "&client=" you mongrel.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.