[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone here know technical details of LED grow lights? I need
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: 52346456.jpg (103 KB, 821x585) Image search: [Google]
52346456.jpg
103 KB, 821x585
Anyone here know technical details of LED grow lights?

I need some info specifically about simulating indirect light for ferns.

I'm thinking perhaps a lightweight solution compared to the the standard pot smoker's high powered lights.

Maybe like something as little as only 2 LEDs at a moderate distance. One red and one blue.

But I don't know much about light wavelengths and LED specs, or say the measurement of lumens for such and indirect light.

I've got a low light situation where I live and I want to do something to keep my ferns in good condition.

I know my way around simple wiring and soldering, how electricity works so I'm actually prepared to do some work.
>>
I think as long as the spectrum of the light is far from greens, such as blue violet or reds the plants happily can grow in them, especially if your light source can warm up its surrounding environment (Basically if its a high wattage bulb). Just dont constantly keep them under the light i guess, plants also adhere to the usual day/night cycle. I think any old red purple or blue LED's will suffice.
>>
>>51987734
>One red and one blue.
the red:blue ration should be ~70:30 not 50:50

>I know my way around simple wiring and soldering, how electricity works so I'm actually prepared to do some work.
no you aren't because the leds you want are the xcrees with 100-200lm/watt. the "normal" leds you get at electronic stores are useless for your purpose
>>
>>51987734
Pot growers (not necessarily smokers) also use certain types of fluorescent lights for 24/7 clone growing. I'll leave it to you to do the research.
>>
File: Compact_Fluorescent_Lamp.jpg (12 KB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
Compact_Fluorescent_Lamp.jpg
12 KB, 360x360
>>51987734
Indirect?
Since you care only about vegetative growth, I'd go with metal halide lamps or just fluorescent tubes.
LEDs aren't that great, unless money isn't an issue and you know the target wavelengths.
To add, HPS is still the king when it comes to overall performance.
LED's are energy efficient, but the initial costs are high and you need knowledge of the specific plant to get actual benefits.

After reading op again, I think my suggestion is fluorescent lamps(not tubes, pic related), with diy reflectors. Low cost, easy setup and a decent cost ratio.
>>
File: fern.jpg (95 KB, 642x557) Image search: [Google]
fern.jpg
95 KB, 642x557
>>51987980

OP here

ferns don't like direct light as it dries them out, they tend to be in shaded jungle floors, temps hovering around 70F are ideal so I'm trying to stay away from a high heat situation

>>51988009

is that 70:30 red 70 blue 30? just making sure

I know the diodes for achieving correct wavelengths are not the same as ordinary back lighting, indicator LEDs

but as for specifics on these leds, I'm wanting to know sizes and details pertaining to simulating indirect light, sort of like what you have from your north facing window, or in the case of the plant's natural space, the rain forest floors, well lit but shaded

I'm pretty sure I will have to make this myself as I imagine the scale would be too small to market and most folks would just use the their windows - sadly I don't have the latter option
>>
Fluorescent lights are the way to go, you can use the directly, since they don't generate that much heat.
>>
>>51987734
>I need some info specifically about simulating indirect light for ferns.
>ferns
right....
>>
It's basically an array of LEDs that you modulate to provide specify wavelengths of light, for specific amounts of light and dark. You need more than just red and blue though. A certain amount of UV and green are also necessary.

From the botanist I know, the harder problem is temperature control: air and soil both.
>>
>>51988550

yea I got the soil and breathing part down, controlled temps and a good misting every few hours

I just wish someone could provide some details on the type of light I'm trying to achieve, otherwise they will have 0 natural light

the idea is a greatly scaled down version of an LED grow lamp, low power low heat and far distance from the plant

I did find this little 5 led spot grow lamp, but don't know how well it might work, not even sure if it's legit, I'm still lurking

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Full-Spectrum-2-5-7W-LED-Grow-Light-Lamp-For-Indoor-Plant-Growing-New-/252114115428?var=&hash=item3ab32c1b64:m:mxMpDcBAMG7t_rh7EP3fnqw
>>
>>51988236
Basement dweller detected
>>
>>51988717

more like underground facility, but ok

also file name
>>
>>51988685
Ahh. The guy I know uses his setup to accurately reproduce different parts of the world, based on measurement. I don't know where he gets the measurements, but I'm sure the wavelengths are in the papers that are published. Maybe start searching academic papers?
>>
>>51988775
No, I live in Europe. The CIA can't monitor my calls. They wouldn't even be interested in my calls.
>>
>>51988823
>No, I live in Europe. The CIA can't monitor my calls.
>The CIA can't monitor my calls
>can't monitor my calls
>can't monitor
tip top kek
>>
>>51989288
What's to kek about it m8? The way I phrased it? Or are you trying to say that the CIA can do whatever the fuck they want, wherever the fuck they want to whoever the fuck they want.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.