[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/wdg/ - Web Development General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 39
File: 1449342190628.png (887 KB, 822x552) Image search: [Google]
1449342190628.png
887 KB, 822x552
Old Thread >>51970438

>IRC Channel
#/g/wdg @ irc.rizon.net
Web client: https://www.rizon.net/chat

>Learning material
https://www.codecademy.com/
https://www.bento.io/
https://programming-motherfucker.com/
https://github.com/vhf/free-programming-books/blob/master/free-programming-books.md
https://www.theodinproject.com/

>Frontend development
https://github.com/dypsilon/frontend-dev-bookmarks

>Backend development
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_application_frameworks

>Useful tools
https://pastebin.com/q5nB1Npt/
https://libraries.io/ - Discover new open source libraries, modules and frameworks and keep track of ones you depend upon.

>NEET guide to web dev employment
https://pastebin.com/4YeJAUbT/
>>
I started work last night on a web app for movies. I'll pull data from the Rotten Tomatoes API and integrate it into the site. I've never worked with an API on a project before so this should be interesting.
>>
File: 1445566655961.jpg (260 KB, 1080x675) Image search: [Google]
1445566655961.jpg
260 KB, 1080x675
Just in time.
I have weird bug in Chrome. I have a 3d cube made in css and it rotates around Y axis . I have few links on each side of the cube but only front and back side links work while left and right are not working (they are not clickable) . Also I do not use bottom and top side of the cube.
I tried all sorts of stuff with z-index and translating the links in Z axis towards me but nothing works.
This bug does not exist in Firefox.
Its like that links on left and right side are on lower z-index , they are not reachable , also the paragraph on those sides is not selectable, whole sides are "dead".

How can I fix this? Chrome has some weird behavior when it comes to 3d transformations.
>>
50 bounty on stackoverflow for this question:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/34362470/load-modal-after-form-submit
>>
File: 1450068280241.gif (1 MB, 245x173) Image search: [Google]
1450068280241.gif
1 MB, 245x173
Can somebody give me a good example of try, catch, finally and throw in javascript?

I need something that's easy to understand.
>>
File: sds.png (210 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
sds.png
210 KB, 640x360
2 threads archived before bump limit.

Can't you get the message, anon?

Most of the /wdg/ discussion belongs in /dpt/:

>>51980217
>>51980217
>>51980217
>>51980217

It's more fun in /dpt/ anyways.
>>
>>51982598
fuck off already
>>
>>51982598
Can't you READ? This is about Web Developing General. So get out with your "dpt"
>>
>>51983063
Development*
>>
>>51982491
try {
pants.open();
pants.takeItOut().jerkIt();
} catch (NotHardException e) {
System.out.println("failed");
} finally {
pants.close();
}
>>
>>51983122
would it take much effort to translate this to something normal?
Also, where's throw?
>>
>>51983144
What is normal?

The jerkIt function can throw.
It could look like

public void jerkIt() {
if (!this.hard) {
throw new NotHardException();
}
}
>>
>>51982598
>It's more fun in /dpt/ anyways
Seriously, fuck off. Every damn day you come in here with the same shit.
>>
First for the awesome clojure
>>
File: huhy.png (8 KB, 473x500) Image search: [Google]
huhy.png
8 KB, 473x500
>going to 404 again
>>
>>51984532
Thanks for keeping it alive bae. Your efforts are greatly appreciated.
>>
If you guys need me to pen test your web apps, let me know. I need the practice.
>>
>>51981663
I have no idea why, but working with APIs is really fun to me. Hope you make an awesome app m80.
>>
why is iframe learning material so scarce? i want to create some third party widgets using iframes and javascript
>>
File: 1439249350530.jpg (19 KB, 337x337) Image search: [Google]
1439249350530.jpg
19 KB, 337x337
>>51981707
is it possible that no one ever noticed bugs in Chrome regarding 3d transformations using css? :(
>>
>>51986337
...or maybe you're the one doing something wrong.
>>
hello friends
what's the easiest way to implement user authentication/signup in nodejs? im trying to wire up my own shit but i feel like it'll be shoddy and just work(tm).

pls
>>
>>51986046
Because iframes are a hack.
>>
>>51986772
many payment facilitators use them and they make millions each year. paypal uses them
>>
Could some help me with this, I cant get the Jhover div to appear when I hover over Japan

<html>
<head>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="style.css">
<title>Welcome Home</title>
</head>
<body>

<div id="wrap">
<div id="banner"></div>
<div id="box">
<div id="list">
<div class="Japan">Japan</div>
</div>
<div id="cont">
<div class="Jhover">Site1</div>
<div class="Jhover">Site2</div>
</div>
</div>
</div>

</body>
</html>

#wrap   {width: 800px; height: auto; margin: 0 auto;}
#banner {width: 800px; height: 200px;}
#box {width: 400px; height: 100px; margin: 0 auto; text-align: center;}
#list {width: 200px; height: 100px; float: left; background-color: yellow;}
#cont {width: 200px; height: 100px; float: left; background-color: green;}

.Japan {width: 200px; height: 20px; background-color: red; float: left;}
.Jhover {display: none;}
.Japan:hover .Jhover {display: block; width:200px; height:20px; background-color: blue;}

It only work if I have Jhover within the Japan div but I don't want that, I want it to appear in the cont div.

Any help would be grateful.
>>
>tfw can't decide how to generate HTML
>>
>>51986999
>
.Japan:hover .Jhover {

Remove the second .Jhover from that.
>>
File: cornchip.jpg (66 KB, 500x343) Image search: [Google]
cornchip.jpg
66 KB, 500x343
>>51986999

>Not using scss and a compiler

pls
>>
>>51987178
If I did that the Jhover div would not appear.
that code is saying when hovering over .Japan to display .Jhover
>>
>>51986337
Hard to tell without seeing the code. And frankly dunno who would bother to read tens of lines of 3D tranformations to find where the fault could be.

Try isolate the problem, maybe you have more luck.
>>
>>51986999
you can't with CSS only.

your current selector needs elements with the jhover class inside an element with the japan class.
your jhover class isn't a child of any element with japan, so it won't work.
>>
>>51987307
Thanks for the reasoning behind it.

So I will have to rely on something like javascript?
>>
>>51987339
Javascript seems to be the only choice.

you could play around with
#list:hover + #cont .Jhover

but it would show on hovering on the list element. you need to refactor your html to make it work somehow.
>>
I am going to start learning some MVVM framework, since they are so demanded.

Which one should I?

Knockout?
Angular?
React?
>>
>>51986999
>>51987339
>>51987427

You have to use JS.

In CSS4, there will be a "has" selector, that could help you, but that is not implemented in any browser yet

#list:has( .japan:hover) + #cont .Jhover
>>
>>51987546
>>51987427

Thank you for the help.
>>
Got a question.

I have an URL-scheme like this:

page.com/gallery/<PAGE_NUMBER>
where
page.com/gallery/1
takes you to page one,
page.com/gallery/2
to page two etc...

I want an input form which lets people jump to the page they specify.

So if they were at
page.com/gallery/1
and input "22", I'd want to redirect them to
page.com/gallery/22

without using javascript or having the server process the input. Is that possible?

I know I can specify method="get" and do it like this:
page.com/gallery/?page=22

but I'd like to avoid that if possible.
>>
>>51988958
Get the value from the input form then use the header function to redirect them

header("Location: page.com/gallery/$value");

..where $value is the page number entered.
>>
>>51989194
Also,
- 1) Cast the value to an integer before inserting in into the string
- 2) Stop the PHP script execution after the redirection, with exit()
>>
>>51989194
Makes sense. Thanks!
>>
>>51986682
Use passport. Its pretty easy and you can implement facebook or local authentication painlessly
>>
File: 1409337243733.jpg (71 KB, 720x602) Image search: [Google]
1409337243733.jpg
71 KB, 720x602
Kind of a trifling questing, but I'm interested. What text editor does /wdg/ use? I use sublime, but have heard that it's not the best. Atom, Brackets, Textmate; are these better? Is the new Visual Studio Code worth a try? I like how it has intelisense but is it worth is?
>>
I'm learning JS and am having a hard time understand what the definition of a framework is. If anyone minds explaining it to me in babby terms.
>>
File: ayy.jpg (717 KB, 3360x2100) Image search: [Google]
ayy.jpg
717 KB, 3360x2100
Getting ready to make the exponential button work, fucking strings, how do they work?
>>
>>51990781
here's a basic explanation, i don't use javascript so the name of the examples might be wrong

>library frameworks
these extend the language by adding new functions that you can use alongside your raw code
basically, you do "import framework" (in javascript it'd be <script src="framework.js"></script>) and you can already start using those new functions alongside your js

example: jquery, soundjs, videojs, flavorofthemonthjs

>complete frameworks
these are already made applications that you build stuff on top of it. they usually follow an MVC architecture so you don't have to spend time working on connecting these 3 things together (you create the mvc files and the framework takes care of them). they have their own libraries too, but instead of programming from the ground up, you program on top of their already made architecture

instead of importing the framework, you download an entire folder (call it an already-made project) and you build your application inside that folder

example: expressjs
>>
>>51991047
TM(R) Pajeet Industries
>>
>>51990943
>programming in not english
>>
>>51990943
jesus that code lol
>>
>>51991047
I see. Thanks.
>>
how do I stop retards from writing code that leads to 1000 separate joins? people don't understand how ORMs/lazyloading works.
>>
>>51990943
return the fucking boolean expression you cocksucker
>>
>>51992182
write a veting tool that rejects there commits if it contains raw querys, enforce the fuck out of ORM i don't even understand why people avoid it.
>>
>>51993007
It's not a raw query issue.

The issue is they have X object and need some related object Y to X. But that object isn't loaded when object X is loaded.

So they iterated over the list of object X making calls that lead to a join.

Obviously doing this 10 times isn't a huge deal, but doing is 200 times...
>>
>>51993079
It's called convenience and being able to write powerful queries, grandpa.

Why should I waste my time being specific when I can select all and query everything? It's the key to developing my fluent and elegant REST API, powered by Node.js™
>>
>>51987339
>>51987645
I may be too late for you but consider jQuery to add classes, then you can do the rest with CSS

https://jsfiddle.net/ChrispyChips/0go1vrxu/
>>
>>51990695
Atom bomb baby, little atom bomb,
I want her in my wigwam!
She's just the way I want her to be,
A million times hotter than TNT!
>>
>>51987181
>scss
>not using sass syntax
>>
>>51990695
Vim
>>
i learned what em's are today, well, not really, but I used them
and I discovered calc() in css and used it to make a perfect border!
i need a lot more experience
the page is just a single index.php file.
might add in an index later for better navigation
104.167.111.17/comix
>>
File: play_full_color.png (20 KB, 2154x1125) Image search: [Google]
play_full_color.png
20 KB, 2154x1125
Should i invest my time in this framework? Moving from django because shitty websocket libs & bad aio.
>>
>>51995046
>memearrow framework
https://www.playframework.com/
>>
My god I fucking hate node so much

Fuck all these modules which each have dozens of modules inside them, all I did was install 4 packages and my node_modules folder already has 40000+ files.
>>
>>51995391
>installing bloated frameworks
>>
>>51995046
>shitty websocket libs & bad aio

That's a whole lot of words for saying "I'm incompetent". Batteries included doesn't necessarily mean "does everything for you".
>>
>>51995650
>That's a whole lot of words for saying "I'm incompetent". Batteries included doesn't necessarily mean "does everything for you".
Shitty asyncio & concurrency is a issue with python, unfixable

Rails's ActiveCable & django-websocket-redis both rely on a in-memory-db just to work, no ty
>>
>>51995554
>framework
node is a js runtime senpai
>>
>>51990943
Does Swift not have a "x in array" syntax or something?
>>
>>51995046
>>51995650
>>51995845
>tfw I'm making a Django app right now

feels bad man

it's still fucking great to write and set up though.
>>
>>51996493
nothing wrong with django, it's just bad for realtime & asynchronous workloads
>>
File: _.png (12 KB, 568x269) Image search: [Google]
_.png
12 KB, 568x269
How would one achieve this? By this I mean making links and "menus" under the site..
>>
>>51997677
Sitemap
>>
>>51997691
Thank you dear anon!
>>
>>51997705
No problems, god jul.
>>
>>51997733
Detsamma!
>>
<link rel="stylesheet" href="https://maxcdn.bootstrapcdn.com/bootstrap/3.3.6/css/bootstrap.min.css">
<script src="https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/2.1.3/jquery.min.js"></script>

Why is everbody just linking to these instead of downloading and serving them through their own website? Laziness? Saving bandwidth? Assuming its already in the browser cache because everyone does it?

I always find it more comfortable when I know that I only connect to the website I am visiting, instead of leaving my fingerprint on several other 3rd party websites.
>>
>>51998885
>Laziness? Saving bandwidth? Assuming its already in the browser cache because everyone does it?
Yes

>I always find it more comfortable when I know that I only connect to the website I am visiting, instead of leaving my fingerprint on several other 3rd party websites.
Get RequestPolicy and don't visit shitty sites.
>>
>be me
>have a big college project with a real customer
>9 persons during 10+ month at ~30 hours per week
>customer ask for non-exotic languages
>it's probably going to be java
>if not, it's going to be PHP
>user interface is probably going to be web
>we are probably going to use some j2ee craps
>the j2ee framework we've seen in class is struts
>we didn't see any php framework in class

Is there any j2ee framework that doesn't suck? Or am i doomed to work with some shitty frameworks?
>>
>>51999040
They all good, git gud

takes time tho

's gonna hurt
>>
how to make the buttons expand only when the cursor is on them? http://codepen.io/anon/pen/JGKabj?editors=110
>>
>>51999040
>j2ee
What exactly are you making? Surely there must be better alternatives.
>>
>>51999164
.button li:hover {
width: 1000px;
}
>>
Greetings from /dpt/ webdevs!
Well I'm kinda ashamed to ask you this but i got a problem with my wordpress site.

The Wordpress Address Url is always automatically set to my IP. When changing manually to my domain name, half of the site can't be reached anymore. (NOT completly unreachable though)

Setup
> FreeBSD, Apache24, PHP56, WP44

> inb4 http://codex.wordpress.org/Changing_The_Site_URL
>>
>>51999258
It's just a software for internal management. Our customer is actually an NGO and they have no ERP, no managing tools no nothing. They use spreadsheets on google docs.

So sure. We could use absolutely anything. But nobody knows how to make an user interface. We've only learn C, and Java in the main courses. And some of us have seen PHP and j2ee in web classes.

I'd like to do anything but j2ee. But this seems to be the easier for the whole 9 of us. Those who didn't take the web class can make the Controller part in java, the other can do the view part because web is """easy""".

Of course nobody knows shit about web design. But still i'm pretty sure designing a desktop application would be even worse.

Also, and this is the best part, the application must run on linux, windows and OSX, but the school refuse to pay for a windows license. The customer has to provide a windows machine. But OUR customer is a NGO with no money. So yeah, web looks like a safe choice.
>>
>>51999537
I think you're better off asking in /dpt/ imo.
>>
>>51999800
I did ask /dpt/ first actually. But nobody cares there.

Beside, I'm not against web, that wouldn't be a bad choice. I'm against java. I'm just looking for a framework that isn't java or a framework better than struts if there is anything like that.

The aim is to have a framework that is as easy as possible to have as few technical problems as possible. Since working in a team of 9persons is way enough trouble. And I'm not even talking about all the paperwork that is required and documentation and shit.
>>
Web in Java, kek, now I've heard it all.
>>
>>52000260
>web dev general residents will never ever EVER have a stable 100k/year job
>>
>>52000143
literally anything is better than Java, you kinda need to make a decision though, good grades and happy client but you having to do 900% of the work, or doing the bare minimum to keep your sanity and barely scrub through while you get calls from the client threatening to sue you personally(they can't since the schools insured).

how proficient are you with other languages? personally any kind of management type shit we would just rebrand an existing tool and provide support, though I'd guess that's not an option for you.
>>
>>51998885

Speed, bandwidth and cache.

In a nutshell, and for most purposes, when you visit a site that links to a CDN for js/css, your browser caches it. When you visit another site that serves the same static files, your browser retrieves it from cache instead of making another request.

>>51999040
>>51999537

> J2EE

Spring is probably the closest thing you'll find. Or try the Play framework.

>>51999164

:hover, then do something like
padding: 3px 6px;
. If you manipulate the width, it may inadvertently mess your layout up.
>>
>>52000559
I personally know C, Java, PHP, Python and… erf… pascal and want to learn Go but never actually had the time to.
Also we're supposed to have theoretical courses and be able to learn any language quickly. That wouldn't be a problem for me but I'm not sure about the other 8 people.

For this project auto formation and learning stuff we don't do in class is okay. So we could use anything, it's just more convenient and less risky to use what we've learned.

So J2ee is the easiest (less stuff to learn) choice. PHP is a pretty solid option. Nobody but me knows shit about python but not that hard to learn. Go is sadly not an option because customer asked for "non exotic" languages. Not using a framework and recode everything is also not an option. It will be hard enough to work with 8 other people, we have to use easy tools.

I think j2ee is the most probable choice because of early discussions I had with some members of the group including the project leader. I may propose alternatives but nothing says that they are going to listen to me. But if we choose java and i tell them that struts is shit and that we should use something else, I think they're going to listen to me. And I'm of course not even sure myself that there is even anything better than struts.
>>
>>52000771
>Or try the Play framework.
>Play Framework makes it easy to build web applications with Java & Scala.
Does that mean that a Play application needs to use scala and java or that we have the choice between scala and java?
>>
>>52001009

Either. You can choose between them; Java or Scala. Though I think the most popular choice is Scala.

Play is pretty much the most mature and modern Java/Scala framework out there, anyways.
>>
Should I jump on the React hypetrain or wait for Angular 2?
>>
>>52001667

React.

Don't bother with Angular anything until at least half a year later or so.
>>
Is it better to go freelance or start a small business with a couple of friends for Web Development after one gains enough experience/projects done?
What do you guys think one must know about going solo in this kind of career?
>>
>>52001922

If your friends aren't bringing any new skills to the table (e.g. one developer, one designer, one business/accounts, one marketer, etc.), don't fucking bother unless you have a plethora of clients lining up.

> What do you guys think one must know about going solo in this kind of career?

It's hard to gain real traction. Knowing how to market yourself/business is a must, if you want to achieve anywhere over 40k/year.
>>
what are alternatives to setinterval if i want to have a loop somewhere running in the background?
>>
Codeacademy, TeamTreehouse, or Codeschool

Which one is good for starting out and improving fundamental skills.

I'm noob and want to become proficient in Front End development and then later Back End
>>
>>52002197
Modern browsers (*cough* chrome only *cough*) support requestIdleCallback, which is amazing for non-critical background tasks that should not interfere with the main content.
>>
How do you become fast/skilled at coding? And don't say practice a lot because nah
>>
>>52003265
Don't be a slacker, and be smart, which I think disqualified you at birth.

bruh.
>>
>>52003347
You sound just like my supervisor, bully |:(
>>
>>51983122
>>51983161
noice
>>
>>51983144

Basically, trying, catching, and throwing is how you handle bad logic in such a way that the whole thing doesn't blow up. You "try" to do a function that might have some bad or undefined behavior, that function will "throw" an exception when it finds that something has gone wrong, and then the calling function will "catch" the exception that was thrown, and the catch block is where you tell the program what to do when something HAS gone wrong, depending on which exception was thrown.

Doing this is nicer than just having the program crash unceremoniously (or possibly worse, allowing the function to go along its merry way with bad data), because it can allow you to put it back into a valid state as if nothing bad happened.
>>
>>51980998

Terminal240

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.terminaltwofourty.rmgsoftware
>>
>>52004303
>2 5 star reviews
OK.
>>
>>52005254
It's the overall score that really counts :)

(I'm not that guy btw)
>>
File: 1442681038544.jpg (195 KB, 1069x1462) Image search: [Google]
1442681038544.jpg
195 KB, 1069x1462
How do I into web-dev with no design ability/background?

I'm thinking of just starting out with customizing wordpress themes for clients, but how would this work? Has anyone done something similar?
>>
>>52005524
You need at least basic knowledge of PHP to work with Wordpress iirc. Learn HTML and CSS as a start and take it from there.
>>
>>51996009

It does.
>>
File: 1434157430181.jpg (430 KB, 1508x2048) Image search: [Google]
1434157430181.jpg
430 KB, 1508x2048
>>52005572
>You need at least basic knowledge of PHP to work with Wordpress iirc. Learn HTML and CSS as a start and take it from there.

Oh I know that. I'm asking more from a business perspective, sorry if that wasn't clear.

For example, how can I sell myself as a web developer to a tech-illiterate client while making perfectly clear that I'm not a designer and will not 'design' their website?

What's the typical process for outsourcing the designs and assets to use for a client's project? Is it simply a matter of hiring a designer or buying a theme and customizing it to the client's specs?

Sorry if these are really stupid questions, I'm going into this a complete virgin to web development. I can learn the technology easily enough, but the business end and design stuff is still completely vexing to me.

Basically, I'm asking other freelancers with no design ability to elaborate on how they handle actually designing the websites that they sell.
>>
>>52005674
>how can I sell myself as a web developer to a tech-illiterate client while making perfectly clear that I'm not a designer and will not 'design' their website?
Explain to them that design is essentially what can be seen in front of them; the page layout, buttons, elements of the page, etc. Development on the other hand is what makes the site functional; pulling data from a database, deleting/updating/creating, etc. You could show them a static page, something with just some information laid out on the page. For the dev side, show them a page where information is pulled from a database, like logging in or submitting a form.

>What's the typical process for outsourcing the designs and assets to use for a client's project? Is it simply a matter of hiring a designer or buying a theme and customizing it to the client's specs?
That's up to the designer imo. When I worked part time at my previous job I saw a guy come in with a static theme he found online and showed it to us. He basically needed devs to make it functional. Hiring a designer would ultimately achieve the same result (assuming he does his job to the customer's specifications). If you're working alone it's best to know both back and front-end coding. Working in teams it's easier because individual workers can focus on a particular side.
>>
>>52005674
In urgent need of a 'Natalia' fix. More please, based comrade.
>>
What's the best way to do this?

We are keeping track of equipment rentals using a simple sqlite database and it has taken us far.

Now we want some automation. We want to pretty much update rows that are "late" when its not returned past a specified due date.

What's the best way to update the database everyday and switch rentals to late if they are late?

I'd imagine something like a task that runs every midnight to update the database but I want to see if there is a better way.
>>
>>52005674
Depends.

Some devs have their partners rdesigners they call on every job. The designer makes mockups to show the client, and only codes when the proper papers are signed for a contract.

Some clients have their own designer or graphics.
>>
File: 1427725231635.gif (4 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1427725231635.gif
4 MB, 480x270
>>52006185

Have my entire /natty/ folder:

http://imgur.com/a/LqdWp
>>
>>52006455
ANON BE PRAISED!
>>
I'm wanting to learn about front-end development and begin working on personal projects

Should I start-up an account with CodeAcademy, Treehouse, or Code School
>>
>>52006403
CRON tasks that utilize a Trigger on the DB.

https://sqlite.org/lang_createtrigger.html
>>
Is there an alternative to bootstrap with less unnecessary nested <div>?
>>
>>52006903
skel
>>
>>52006818
Trigger

Nice one anon ty
>>
>>52006788
codecademy

Don't be a cuck who spends money to learn something for a field you don't even know if you want to get in to yet.
>>
I am an experienced programmer looking to get into web shit. I just did codecademy's HTML + CSS lessons and am now looking to leverage my knowledge to learn JS quickly. Is Javascript: The Good Parts a good book, or is it outdated?
>>
Quick question.

Does anyone actually learn from Codeacademy? I've done a couple lessons over there and haven't come way with much. Seems pretty ineffective. It's a nice tool I guess but not very much other than that.
>>
>>52010367

Depends on how you like to learn. Some people like to be shown examples, others like to study books.
>>
>>52010403
I'm not really sure how to put it into words. I just feel like I type what they tell me to type and then I dont actually retain any of it. I don't know. I'm trying the Odin Project now. Seems interesting.
>>
>>52010465

I don't like their style of learning, I'd rather read something in a book and take notes than someone saying, "Okay now type this! Now type that! See it works!" But it works for some people.
>>
>>52010595
Totally agree. I'm trying to get into a class for it next semester at my uni. That'll help big time. Webdev is just a hobby anyway.
>>
Almost finished the new header reading loop for my web framework, I've got a problem where mono's (lack of a) garbage collector causes disposed sockets to appear and cause errors that halt the entire listener socket. I have a fix, but it means I have to allocate a new socketasynceventargs which I've read is costly. Ideally, if I allocate after closing the connection it won't slow individual clients, but it's still competing for resources against other connections (which slows benchmarking).

It's the question between about 20us and error free code. An alternative is I use the socket pool C# comes with, which is how Microsoft recommends doing it, the issue there is I still have to assign new saea objects and then I have a stack like data structure in my code, which I already know costs between 50 to 100us.

BTW, currently benchmarking around 230us, but that's with debugging flags, no optimization, range checks etc. Seems I get about 180us release, still needs to be faster.
>>
I have a question. Is there any point in getting a whois protection now if my details are are already listed on 7 different whois sites?
>>
Why you guys hate NodeJS, there's nothing wrong with NodeJS.
NodeJS is love
NodeJS is future
>>
>>51990943
Suddenly I want to eat taco, I dont know why
>>
File: image.jpg (33 KB, 358x372) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33 KB, 358x372
>>52011273
I like nodeJS but I'm not that great with with javascript callbacks which are needed whenever you do anything async.
>mfw I usually resort to blocking code by implementing timeouts instead
>>
File: 20110402_horror_vacui.jpg (31 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
20110402_horror_vacui.jpg
31 KB, 480x360
I'm making a simple javascript card game. What can I do to make it look more appealing.
Help me draw an interface
>>
>>52011337
I don't know either, tacos are not original from Brazil, anon.
>>
fixed some stuff in my personal website

http://andev.me/
>>
>>52011337
I had the same feelings, 1337 poster. I assume it's an accidental hidden message caused by a lot of t's, plus signs and "acao" character strings. Interesting effect.

>>52011273
Node is fine, but people use it for the "middleware." I fully suspect that nothing more than the hello world benchmarks quick and with that in mind anyone after speed (and a buttload of libraries) might prefer a decent c# web library.
>>
Pretty much a noob in webdev here(i can create static HTML5 webpages, i can do a bit of Ruby, C#), i have a question about something i want to create.

I want to make a browser currency converter that would pull the currency value from some server(via some kind of an API) and it would be able to calculate the conversion (let's say two textboxes one for USD one for EUR, you put a number in USD, it converts it to EUR and vice versa) in browser. I understand this might be a retarded question, but i want to try doing something like that. What language should i use for this? PHP?
>>
>>52015129
Use the language you want to learn, any language can do this with ease.
>>
File: KONG.png (131 KB, 390x390) Image search: [Google]
KONG.png
131 KB, 390x390
>>52015141
Is PHP still relevant though? I heard it's going to be obsolete soon and Ruby and other modern webapp languages are the way to go(please note here that i probably don't know what i'm talking about, so don't tear me apart).
>>
What framework should I use for my new site? Links in OP don't guide me, they just tell me about the types.
>>
>>52015378
>Is PHP still relevant though?
Well, like 75%+ of the worlds websites run it, and with PHP7 recently released I'd say it's more relevant than ever.

Don't fall for the PHP-hate meme and do some research yourself. Try Flask if you want a small framework for Python, the requests library is nice to work with.
>>
>>52015378
>Is PHP still relevant though? I heard it's going to be obsolete soon
Who the fuck told you that?
>>
>>52015427
Sounds fair enough, i will look into it. Yeah, people in IT and development are quick to jump to conclusions, especially when the industry is evolving so fast.
>>
If I go to a website and there's a ton of scripts blocked are they usually using the same technology across websites? Is that javascript that's being blocked?

How come some websites have nothing to block but still have a lot of features?
>>
>>52015498
maybe.
there's so many types of frameworks/scripts and what not.
Some sites use the same, some others mix it with other scripts.

Some sites load everything from 3rd party sources instead of hosting the scripts themselves, others pack everything into one big file.

The number of files doesn't say anything about what they use or if it has lots of features.
>>
>>52015572
Thx
>>
>>52015427
>Well, like 75%+ of the worlds websites run it
That's just not true, especially if you exclude the bazillion WordPress sites where the site owners did as much php dev as anyone else did C++ when using nginx or apache.

Java is still the most popular language for a web backend.

Also, just because php has a new version doesn't change the fact that there are many legitimate reasons to dislike php.

>>52015386
Whatever you want...

>>52015129
Honestly, use your favourite language and do a Google search for web frameworks in it. There are web frameworks in every language.
>>
>>52015774
>especially if you exclude the bazillion WordPress sites

Then the meme doesn't work

t. different poster
>>
>>52015797
Free yourself from memes and use what feels natural. If you want to write your backend in Haskell, do so. If C feels better, use fastcgi. If you like ruby, get on the rails. There's literally frameworks in every language. Every. Language.
>>
>>52015828
Noted, thanks.
>>
File: pl-php.png (4 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
pl-php.png
4 KB, 600x600
>>52015774
There are many legitimate reasons to dislike any language, and why would you remove a large portion of the sites because the owners didn't code them themselves?

That would be like saying Linux has the biggest Desktop marketshare because only a few hundred have tinkered with the Windows source code.

They've also changed and cleaned up a lot of things over the past years, PHP4 and before were a mess and that's where this meme started, nowadays you can write as clean code as any other language as well as terrible code.. like any other language.

tl;dr: PHP is relevant, but nobody is forcing you to use it, there are many fine alternatives.
>>
>>52015851
>There are many legitimate reasons to dislike any language, and why would you remove a large portion of the sites because the owners didn't code them themselves?
Then why isn't c++ considered the absolute most popular web language? I didn't contribute to the apache or nginx codebase, just like my sister didn't code any php on her site.

>tl;dr: PHP is relevant, but nobody is forcing you to use it, there are many fine alternatives.
That's absolutely untrue, plenty of web hosts force their customers into php, it's part of the reason it's popular.
>>
>>52006903
Just use polymer.

This kills the div soup.
>>
>>52015955
Just take your victim complex and head back to tumblr, I'm just trying to inform the guy not start a language war.
>>
I've only toyed around with PHP around 2005 and now need to set up an API.

I have only experience with ASP.NETs WebAPI.
Is there a simple good PHP framework for a simple CRUD API that maybe works similar to ASP.NET?

The server only supports PHP5, so I can't use anything else.
>>
>>52015774
>Java is still the most popular language for a web backend.
Pulling stats outta your ass m8
>>
>>52017145
our company website from 2000 still runs on java and never got updated.
>>
>>52017183
And?
>>
>>52017669
I assume they get their data by just checking what technologies current websites run on.
since there's still a shit ton of outdated stuff around today they get ranked as higher popularity.
>>
>>52017690
>I assume they get their data by just checking what technologies current websites run on
>our company website from 2000 still runs on java and never got updated

m8, pls
>>
>>52017998
what
>>
>>52018009
How does what you just said prove that "Java is still the most popular language for a web backend" like you said earlier?

And not updating your shit in over a decade and a half shouldn't tell you anything.
>>
File: javascript.png (72 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
javascript.png
72 KB, 300x300
Could really use some insight as to what direction I should take at this point.

I started learning web dev about 5 months ago and at this point i'm comfortable with HTML, CSS, vanilla JS, Angular, and jQuery. I'm interesting in learning a backend language that will fit in well with my current knowledge but I'm not entirely sure if that's a good idea at this point.

My ultimate goal is to get a job as a front end developer in a few months. So my question is, should I spend these next few months getting even better at the things I'm already comfortable with? Or would employers value me more if I was comfortable with more than just front end stuff?
>>
>>52018274
All the designers I've worked with know a bit of backend stuff, just enough to template and edit tiny things in the controllers.

You'll probably have more use of a prettier portfolio at this stage, though.
>>
>>52018315
Thanks for the reply.
That's another thing I was confused about too, actually. Should I just be pumping out pretty website after pretty website to my github or what? I've made two that I'm fairly proud of but idk if I should just keep trying to make them better or what? What sorts of things are valuable on a front end developer's portfolio?
>>
>>52018274
Angular 1.x has been deprecated.
Angular 2.x is in alpha now it's completely different than its "predecessor".
You learned a dying technology.

If you don't want to learn a new language, learn node.js, it is for writing backends in JS, node.js is the hipster and fancy startup language of choice as well.
If you want to work on powerful, big and heavy backends you might want to learn Java EE, Java Spring or C# asp .net.

You should definitely setup a server, create and publish website presenting yourself as your first reference. This gives you a huge advantage compared to all the other losers who have nothing to show.
>>
>>52018370
Just make one fancy website showing the best you are capable of with the secondary objective of showcasing all other projects you want to present.
You have one pageview to impress them, everything else is a bonus if you catch their attention.
Most employers actually won't wade through your github.
>>
>>52018370
Depends on who's looking, either you want things that are impressive functionality-wise, or you want really pretty things.

You shouldn't just pump out websites for the sake of it, do what >>52018382 said and design a portfolio and put that up online, then add screenshots (and links if you have them) to things you've done.

Don't think you should bother with the corporate web frameworks now, only do that when needed, for your own stuff you can use Wordpress or whatever that doesn't require a serverfarm to run.
>>
Why does webdev seem so confusing?

Granted, I'm coming from an embedded background, but I feel like I know the basics of HTML and CSS. I'm trying to build a simple site for myself but there are so many frameworks and stuff. The MEAN stack seems cools because it's all JS, but desu I'm getting very confused.

My current approach is just to use vanilla JS to get something running.
>>
>>52019020
It's not really confusing, pick a framework with a decent following and just run with it, it'll be obsoleted by next month anyway.
>>
>>52019070
Cool, thanks. I'll do that then.
>>
>>52015955
>Then why isn't c++ considered the absolute most popular web language
That''s retarded. Web servers are a systems program. Websites aren't made in c++, they're served with it. That's like asking why the most popular enterprise language isn't c because the JVM is made in c. In other words it's fucking retarded.
>>
>>52019020
mean stack is hard as shit to be your first stack. don't do that
>>52018274
don't listen to the idiot who says angular 1.x is now dying. It will continue to thrive for an indefinite amount of time. As long as people continue to use it. Just because it's complete doesn't mean it's now old. It's the best thing on the market. If you can tell me briefly how familiar and competent you are with angular, I could better direct you on whether you should learn more or not before a first job.
>>
>>52019020
if you're only going to make a simple site, don't bother using any server-side frameworks

hell, I wrote a page-handler in C for my home page
>>
>>52015498
you have on ad blocker? does it say: "Failed to load resource: net::ERR_BLOCKED_BY_CLIENT"?
>>
File: 1355291668212.jpg (38 KB, 560x374) Image search: [Google]
1355291668212.jpg
38 KB, 560x374
>>52015129
javascript nigga
>>52014543
>http://andev.me/
What you wrote that in? Put that portfolio on your github plx. I want it
>>
>>52020547
its always blocking google.anlytics.js whatever that is
>>
>>52000266
Kek that's me fag. I don't know why anyone is still elitist about web dev anymore
>>
>>51990943

what theme is that you fucking faggot I've been chasing you around all week to find out
>>
File: Capture du 2015-12-24 00-38-58.png (149 KB, 1919x1029) Image search: [Google]
Capture du 2015-12-24 00-38-58.png
149 KB, 1919x1029
>>52001009
This anon again.

I'm been playing with play (no pun intended) for a while. It's fun but more complicated than I though it would be. Definitely better than struts, though.

Struts has that magic <s:form> tag with easy validation and stuff. But if I want to change the default template of <s:form> to include bootstrap tags for example, it's a pain in the ass. In Play It's more complicated to validate a form but at least using a bootstrap template is freaking easy.

That validator stuff is nice also.

Thanks for recommending it to me.
>>
Treehouse worth the investment for learning web design and front-end development?

I want to eventually have my own website to showcase my projects for future employment.
>>
>>52020698
front-end dev not worth pursuing?

frontend > backend > then backend with a focus on security
>>
>>52017145
Most jobs advertised are for java, its much higher on the tiobe index. Php is more popular for the WordPress et all sites which do little more than serve blogs.

>>52019788
Backends serve as well.

>>52022124
Front end is easy enough to not need "pursuing", learn JavaScript, jQuery and CSS, html is just markup, you're done.

>>52016006
I'm not trying to start a language war, that's clearly true from me saying "use your favourite language", but promoting php over what else is language elitism.

Use
Your
Favourite
Language

You don't need php... Unless you want to tell me it's your favourite language.
>>
What are some easy to learn frameworks that have responsive ui, async, etc?

Lately I've noticed I dev a lot of in-house tools for all kinds of things. But I'm not a dev by profession.

I usually use PHP+MySQL for back-end and Bootstrap for that simple but pretty UI. Unfortunately my OOP design skills are terrible so usually I end up duplicating my code here and there and then I can't re-use the same code for new projects even though they use fundamental same logic like connecting to database, handling form validations, etc.
>>
>>52022294
You're done? Ok so do all those things and showcase some projects and you're in good position for a solid job as frontend dev?
>>
>>52022294
>Most jobs advertised are for java
Doesn't matter. And I could still accuse you of pulling that stat out of nowhere because you have no way of backing it up. Actual research has shown that PHP is still the most popular language, hate it or love it.
>>
File: 318172.png (362 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
318172.png
362 KB, 600x600
>>52022408
>Actual research has shown that PHP is still the most popular language, hate it or love it.
>>
>>52022408
Yes, PHP is still a common standard regardless of what people think.
>>
>>52022379
Are you good at designing? A lot of front end devs are judged more by their output, it's a job you might benefit asking /gd/ before /g/. Alternatively, some people judge devs by how many meme frameworks they can write on a resume, but to be honest that's a bad representation of a developer's skill, especially a front end.

As a front end dev, you don't need to be a good programmer, more so a good designer. It's different.

Maybe have a website that showcases a whole bunch of website designs? I don't know, I hate fields that have people who believe in objective aesthetics in them.

>>52022408
Again, when web hosts are more likely to give you a php panel than a vps, no shit its more popular. But when a company needs a login system, they're going to hire a java dev 8/10 times and a c# dev the other.

Big business doesn't use php (and tiny startups love ruby and python, because they're prettier languages).
>>
>>52022470
But it doesn't need to be, that's 95% of the point against php with 5% neckbeards who just hate popular things.

Again, you can use any language you like for backend, unless you really don't want to use Ajax requests for some reason...
>>
>>52022528
>But when a company needs a login system, they're going to hire a java dev 8/10 times and a c# dev the other
>Big business doesn't use php
>>
>>52022528
To be honest I'm completely noob with all this stuff, but I want to follow the path of front-end development then break off to back-end later.

I just want to know a good starting point to form a solid foundation regarding programming and design work.
>>
Give me good reasons to have a personal website.
And also what I should have on it, other than a blog. That should probably be a given.
>>
>>52022684
Tiobe index.

Anyway, why use a language which the only thing going for it is "it's popular"? I'd say any language as popular or more so than C# (which is barely in the top ten) is popular enough that you'll never have any trouble with it, as in googling problems.

I hate to pull shots and make this personal, but php devs justifying their language choice with "it's popular" is almost as cliche and expectable as Mac users with "you're just poor." Almost. I'd prefer an argumentum ad populum over a straight out ad hominem.

>>52022706
If you're into programming over designing, you might just want to be a backend dev. You might benefit from implementing http, you might benefit from learning sql, but unlike front end dev this is a field where people really appreciate a degree.

Front end dev isn't really demanding for programming, which by no means at all negates their usefulness, ui designers are still very necessary to projects.
>>
>>52022912
well I want to start with front-end work and switch over to backend later on.

I mean would that not be a wise route to take for the learning process?
>>
I haven't programmed in months. How can I motivate myself?
>>
>>52022855
What are your plans for the future?

I use my blog just to talk about projects of mine, especially when I've accumulated enough information to be useful to others. Besides a blog, I have a forum, but that's there just to showcase my own software, more so "check out how smooth everything is".

If you like front-end dev, I've always thought having a bunch of mock websites showing your designing skills could he useful. Kind of like display homes, but for website designers.
>>
>>52022912
I appreciate design too. I'm also working towards getting a CIS degree right now.
>>
File: 2015-12-23 20_31_11-Store.png (15 KB, 1509x664) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-23 20_31_11-Store.png
15 KB, 1509x664
Okay, so I'm making a simple text submit/display application and I'm having trouble making two text values showing up within the same list item (one <input>, one <textarea>

HTML
<html ng-app="sampleApp">
<head>
<title>WriteUp</title>
</head>

<body>

<div id="textWrap">
<div class="border">
<h1>Start Writing</h1><br />
<input id="title" placeholder="Title (Optional)">
<textarea rows="4" cols="50" type="text" id="entry" maxlength="500" placeholder="Add stuff..."></textarea><br />
<button id="add">Submit</button>
<button id="removeAll">Remove All</button>
<ul id="list"></ul>
<ul id="titleHead"></ul>
</div><!--end of border div-->
</div><!--end of textWrap-->

</body>
</html>

</body>

JS
//js to add text entries
var ul = document.getElementById('list'),
removeAll = document.getElementById('removeAll'),
add = document.getElementById('add');

//make something happen when clicking on 'submit'
add.onclick = function(){
addLi(ul);
document.getElementById("titleHead");
};

//function for adding items
function addLi(targetUl){
var inputText = document.getElementById('entry').value,
li = document.createElement('li'),
textNode = document.createTextNode(inputText + ''),
removeButton = document.createElement('button');

if (inputText.split(' ').join(' ').length === 0) {
//check for empty inputs
alert ('No input');
return false;
}

removeButton.className = 'removeMe'; //add class to button for CSS
removeButton.innerHTML = 'Remove'; //add text to the remove button
removeButton.setAttribute('onclick', 'removeMe(this);');

li.appendChild(textNode);
li.appendChild(removeButton);

targetUl.appendChild(li);
}

//function to remove entries
function removeMe(item){
var parent = item.parentElement;
parent.parentElement.removeChild(parent);
}

removeAll.onclick = function(){
ul.innerHTML = '';
};

>>
>>52022294
>Backends serve as well.
Yes, through the server.
>>
>>52022946
Backend is different.

Front end, if not for JavaScript, wouldn't even be about programming. Backend people care about benchmarking, efficiency, real time programming, memory allocation, database design, a whole heap of things. Almost every backend job I've applied for has asked for a degree, whereas almost every front end job I've applied for has asked for my website.

Do you have a degree? Maybe keep the front end goal, get a job as a front end dev, but take a degree (computer science? network engineering? Computer engineering?) part time, that way you have money to pay off your loan and the experience to gain an edge over other graduates.

I'm pretty amused by graduate positions that ask for 2 to 5 years "relevant" experience, but it might actually work for you.

>>52022972
Good, might work for you too then.

I wish the both of you the best of luck.
>>
>>52022968
Well, I work full-time (9-5) at a web agency doing mainly front-end-type stuff in Joomla and Laravel, maybe in a couple of years I'll look for another job but I'm pretty happy where I'm at right now (even though the pay isn't as high as it should be right now.)

Looking back at my notes that I made for making the site, I wrote down stuff about listing github repos and gists, as well as having tweets, drawings and maybe photography as well. So I guess essentially some kind of social media hub. (Which makes almost no sense I suppose.)
>>
Just curious what have been your salary progression throughout your careers?
>>
>>52023315
I'm on £30K, was on £17K 2years ago.
>>
File: 1405045854150.png (13 KB, 451x423) Image search: [Google]
1405045854150.png
13 KB, 451x423
How much does it usually cost to implement email registrations/login? I can do it easily with angular and firebase, but should I still jew the client and charge the same amount?
>>
I earn like 15$/month being a computer engineer in charge of company's servers as sub-sysadmin, general IT support (almost never) and main payroll software analyst. Also, I need to investigate new technologies so we can upgrade some systems.
>>
>>52023016
So basically you just want to output both the title and the entry in the same area? I don't see you outputting the title anywhere...
>>
>>52023595
> I earn like 15$/month

Sounds like you're severely underpaid, and illegally so. Never underpay the IT guy, they'll wreck your shit.
>>
>>52024071
I'm an engineer and earn less than the daily tips an average pizza delivery guy earns in any human dominated country.

So, to anyone who thinks is being underpayed: I need to save all my pay for likely 5 years to buy a PlayStation 4. I need to save my pay for likely 70+ years so i can buy a car.

Remember, if you're thinking your life is shit, you could be me.
>>
>>52024498
You are fucking stupid mate. You might as well work at McDonalds and earn more.
>>
What is a good hosting service if I just want to host a portfolio, blog, scripts, etc? Preferably cheap.
>>
>>52024498
it's your fault for staying at that shit company
or you're lying
>>52024564
digitalocean
>>
>>52024539
You're misunderstanding my claims.
McDonald's pays like 15$ (my actual salary is 23$, I made a mistake). I actually have a nice salary for an engineer at his first job.
>>
>>52024580
Nope, no lying. 5th world country for you. And people yell at me when I say this is a shitty place to live, because this (I'm quoting them) "is the best country in the world".
>>
>>52024651
why are you waiting for someone to ask you where you live?
>>
>>52024672
Where I'm from it's not really important because I just wanted people to feel grateful because must of you rely mostly on your skills, and that's not always the case.
>>
who /fullstack/ here
>>
>>52024970
I do. My front end is pretty shitty but still works. I'm most into the business logic design, UML, database design and back end dev. Also environment set up.
>>
whats a good book for nodejs?
>>
>>52024970
More backend, but I'm not scared of front end.

My web framework currently peaks at 200us on Linux, probably about 150us on Windows. Windows is faster than Linux now because Windows does some magic shit with socketasynceventargs. Definitely faster than node.js now, but no middleware and no tls because use a front facing server.

Also, nice triviality, it can now do utf8 headers which is great... If you want to use Japanese character page paths or in cookies... Actually, I think this might be a bad idea.

I'm kind of anxious to upload, I think this is the last version. It's been fun, I'll miss this project, I get so depressed when I finish things. I'll keep reading and rereading the code.

:(
>>
>>52025027
Yup I do everything from upgrade scripts to the page layout.

My frontend experience has improved by using javascript frameworks to take care of most of the heavy lifting.
>>
Anyone kind enough to be a second pair of eyes?

I keep getting an empty object whenever I console log req.body.

var UserSchema = new mongoose.Schema({ 
first_name: { type: String, required: true, trim: true},
last_name: { type: String, required: true, trim: true},
email: { type: String, required: true, trim: true},
password: { type: String, required: true, trim: true},
created_at: { type: Date, default: Date.now},
updated_at: { type: Date, default: Date.now}

mongoose.model('User', UserSchema);
User = mongoose.model('User');

app.post('/users', function(req, res) {
console.log('got to /users')
userInstance = new User(); //creates a new instance of User from above
console.log(req.body);
userInstance.first_name = req.body.first_name
userInstance.last_name = req.body.last_name
userInstance.email = req.body.email
userInstance.password = req.body.password
// console.log(userInstance);
});

<form method="post" action="/users">
<input type="text" name="first_name" placeholder="First Name">
<input type="text" name="last_name" placeholder="Last Name">
<input type="text" name="email" placeholder="Email Email">
<input type="text" name="password" placeholder="Password">
<input type="submit">
</form>
>>
File: 1441365296340.png (47 KB, 500x468) Image search: [Google]
1441365296340.png
47 KB, 500x468
>>52025808
>js backend
>mongoose
>>
File: halp.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
halp.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
I need help. How can I make the bottom scroll bar go away? I have tried a few things.
>>
>>52025896
good post
>>
>>52025947
body {
overflow: hidden;
}
>>
File: 1450746878153.png (866 KB, 900x602) Image search: [Google]
1450746878153.png
866 KB, 900x602
>>52026002
>overflow: hidden;
I actually love you.
>>
>>52025947
Make sure your page is not wider than the viewport
>>
>>52025808
Not sure if this is your exact piece of code, but you aren't closing your Mongoose Schema properly, looks like. Tested it without it and it works fine.
>>
>>52026030
That doesn't properly solve the problem, it just masks it. You have content that extends wider than the width of your screen and that's why you see the scroll bar, that's what you need to fix.
>>
Someone should make a guide for Web hosting (possible categorized by price and information about language support). I'm about ready to start looking for a host for my site written in Ruby.
>>
if anyone wants to get rich then develop a browser app that blocks all ads, links, stories, etc that has to do with the Kardashians, Jenners, etc

do it for free but accept donations, watch it go viral, then get tons of donations

you're welcome
>>
>>52026255
Could he also use background-size: cover in this same situation? Been a while since I've done any CSS.
>>
>>52002254
treehouse
>>
>>52026276
1. become a sysadmin
2. buy reputable VPS for $10-20/month or set up a home server
>>
>>52026565
1. Learn apt-get
2. buy reputable VPS for $10-20/month or set up a home server

fixed
>>
File: 2015-12-24_17-24-07.png (69 KB, 956x728) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-24_17-24-07.png
69 KB, 956x728
Speaking of VPS, pic related has a 25% lifetime discount for standard KVM SSD VPS

Premium: Intel E3 CPUs (3.3GHz+ per core) Standard: Intel E5 CPUs (2.3GHz+ per core)

Anyone know how significant that CPU difference would be for a LAMP/LEMP stack on Ubuntu? Leaning towards 1GB or 2GB SKVMS.
>>
Does anyone here use PHP as a replacement for HTML documents?

Like, serve files/content using a server in node or python or ruby or whatever (besides nginx/apache), but rather than serving html files, serve php files?

or is that just stupid since you could likely do whatever dynamic server-side stuff you'd do in php, in the language the server is written in (node/python/perl/whatever)
>>
>>52025896
Angular might be shit but people there are plenty of jobs available.

>>52026139
Thanks Anon, I'll double check my schema.
>>
>>52026870
You mean Node.js, not Angular right? He sai backend. But regardless, they do have jobs available. Trying to do the same thing now.

Let me know if that works. I gave up on mongoose and am using PostgreSQL.
>>
>>52026870
Also, I guess I could have just told you what's up with your schema. If that's the exact piece of code, you didn't close the Schema (The closing bracket and parenthesis).
>>
>>52026938
It seems I didn't copy and paste correctly. The braces are there, so I'm not sure what's going on.

>>52026912
I've used mongoose before a few times and I've gotten it to work. I never got Angular good enough though.

//Express
var express = require('express');
var app = express();

//Body-Parser
var bodyParser = require('body-parser');
app.use(bodyParser.json());

//Static
app.use(express.static(__dirname+'/static'));

//Mongoose
var mongoose = require('mongoose'); //loading the library
mongoose.connect('mongodb://localhost/fullMeanProjectSperos') //connecting to our schema
var UserSchema = new mongoose.Schema({ //this is pretty much designing a table (it isn't saved yet!)
first_name: { type: String, required: true, trim: true},
last_name: { type: String, required: true, trim: true},
email: { type: String, required: true, trim: true},
password: { type: String, required: true, trim: true},
created_at: { type: Date, default: Date.now},
updated_at: { type: Date, default: Date.now}
});
mongoose.model('User', UserSchema); //with the 2 params it is setting (this line also calls UserSchema obj.)
User = mongoose.model('User'); //without the 2nd param it is getting

// By doing the two lines above, I can simply do the line below
// User.find()

//Routes
app.post('/users', function(req, res) {
console.log('got to /users')
userInstance = new User(); //creates a new instance of User from above
console.log(req.body);
userInstance.first_name = req.body.first_name
userInstance.last_name = req.body.last_name
userInstance.email = req.body.email
userInstance.password = req.body.password
// console.log(userInstance);
});

app.listen(8888, function() {
console.log('Server is running on 8888');
})
// console.log('Server is running');
>>
>>52026999
Stupid question, but are you looking at the console of the browser or the terminal? Without the userschema (don't have it set up on my computer), it's working on my end.
>>
Who /mischief/ here?
For my personal projects I'm now using the MEAN stack minus the M. Since the projects are usually small I don't use a database and just roll my own REST api :^)
>>
File: 無題.png (46 KB, 909x519) Image search: [Google]
無題.png
46 KB, 909x519
>>52027093
Pic related.
>>
>>52026999
What is the purpose of bodyParser?
>>
>>52027245
Oh nice, thanks, you made me realize something. He's missing another bodyParser function.

app.use(bodyParser.urlencoded({ extended: false }));
>>
>>52027245
But to answer your question, it's middleware that exposes functions to handle request bodies. The bodyParser function he has only parses json, but what he needed in this situation was to parse urlencoded bodies.
>>
>>52027348
So it turns a request from some sort of ancient form into usable JSON?
Is that what body parser does / can do?
>>
>>52027378
I wouldn't say ancient, but yeah. Given a type of form, it converts it and adds the params to the .body objective to the request with which you can use however you want within his routes.

https://github.com/expressjs/body-parser

But I think most typical forms are urlencoded.
>>
>>52027409
Object, not objective. Sorry, tired.

This is all in the context of Node.js though. if this were PHP, you could just use $_POST and pass in the key for whatever was in the form.
>>
>>52027348
Ooooh, okay. I thought that was just to get rid of that one error message.

Damn, it was the body parser. I added it and everything works now. I'll make sure to make note of it, thanks guys.

>>52027434
Yeah, PHP is much...kinder/simpler when it comes to forms. And sessions. And some other stuff.

Anyways thanks again guys.
>>
>>52027442
No problem man. I didn't even think about the body parser originally because I use express's generator to make all the boilerplate code for it. You're doing the right thing by typing it yourself, but whenever you get past that, look into just generating a scaffold instead.

And as the other anon pointed out, not sure if you plan on doing this on an enterprise level, but MongoDB has its issues that prevent it from being production-ready. A better choice may be a Relational DB like PostgreSQL, MySQL, etc.
>>
>>51980998
>NEET guide to web dev employment
looks nice but why no love for eu NEETs?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 39

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.