[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2015/1 2/21/tim-cook-cyrus-v
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 11
File: tim-cook-290513.jpg (113 KB, 1920x1203) Image search: [Google]
tim-cook-290513.jpg
113 KB, 1920x1203
>http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2015/12/21/tim-cook-cyrus-vance-encryption/

>“iPhones are now the first consumer products in American history that are beyond the reach of lawful warrants,” Vance said in a statement.
>In a statement released Sunday night, Vance attacked Apple’s full-disk encryption plan, saying the company implemented the measure “so that it could no longer comply with the judicial search warrants that make this work possible.”

Is the dream of real privacy oriented machines alive in Apple rather than open sores like Android?

>all iphone use full disk encryption and end to end encryption
>meanwhile backdoors everywhere in android
>>
iCucks = ISIS supporters
>>
>Apple implements security
>OMFG APPLE CAN RESIST WARRANTS
>meanwhile, some neckbeard finds a flaw in its shit implementation and dumps the data unencrypted

nothing to see here
>>
>>51980426
>first consumer product beyond reach of warrants.
You mean like any PC that can run Linux or a BSD?
>>
>>51981000
GNU/Linux and BSD are enthusiast/server software.
>>
>>51980426
>implying the NSA doesn't have a way to decrypt it
>implying Apple didn't fully provide a means for that

Yea, okay buddy
>>
>>51981037
PCs are consumer products, and have the feature of letting you run any OS you want, including one that can't be opened for a warrant. Regardless of whether Linux is consumer, PCs are consumer products that support not being open to a warrant.
>>
File: Prism_slide_5.jpg (86 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
Prism_slide_5.jpg
86 KB, 700x525
>>51981051
Exactly.
>>
But Apple still does constant data sync with their cloud. It's pretty much placebo.
>>
>>51981077
No mainstream PC ships with end to end encryption and full disk encryption.
>>
>>51981100
Irrelevant, they still support it.
>>
>>51981082
you do know that was before any end-to-end encryption
basically just them using sim card calling and http MiM
>>
>>51981142
Completely relevant since its the crux of the argument. No one denies you can't search the internet for whatever software you can find or make one yourself. If the product isn't shipped by default and enabled with simple setting, then its not a product they're selling.
>>
File: 1445462197311.png (513 KB, 791x930) Image search: [Google]
1445462197311.png
513 KB, 791x930
>apple in charge of privacy

https://www.youbetrayedus.org
>>
>>51981194
The product they are selling in the case of PC is the hardware. You can easily buy a machine with no OS installed, a lot of times for cheaper. What you do with that hardware is up to you.
>>
Keep giving all your data to Jewgle for free you curry and niggers using lagdroids. I will be here using my iPhone that is protecting my privacy and data.

For example, Apple Maps takes your route, saves the starting and end points, but scrambles the actual route. It is also sent to Apple with a random unique hardware ID so it can't be tied to your account. Meanwhile your GPS data is stored right in the open with Google to the point you can even go to Google Maps and see all of your past routes and locations. Hell, you can even listen to all the times you spoke to "ok, google". Fuck Google.
>>
>>51981432
>For example, Apple Maps takes your route, saves the starting and end points, but scrambles the actual route.
very subtle, 10/10
>>
>>51981432
>thinking you have to run google apps to run android
I wouldn't trust you with technical advice if my life depended on it at this point.

AOSP + F-Droid = No botnet, moron.
>>
>>51981469
>implying most users are going to put a custom ROM on their lagdroid
>implying most users even know how to root their android device
>trusting some ROM made by a curry on XDA

We are talking about the general population here, not you neckbeards on /g/
>>
>>51981513
Nobody gives a shit about the general population. Also see >>51981238
>>
>>51981276
You can't buy an iPhone without iOS. iPhones come with end to end encryption and full disk encryption. There is no middleman here.
>>
>>51981000
>have everything encrypted
>they have a warrant
>don't give them the password
>go to jail
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

>inb4 truecrypt
they can tell that you have a hidden partition inside the container
>>
>>51981051

The NSA can't break AES256. No one can.

Even the NSA allows Top Secret documents to be encrypted with AES 256
>>
>>51981536
Why should I care about this? I am getting encryption either way, and I haven't had to wait for some company to decide it was important first.

>>51981513
>curry nigger on XDA
You aren't even trying.

Who gives a shit what normal people do? You were trying to be le superior apple user, when, fact of the matter is, you get more privacy running CM with no forced closed source applications from a company like apple than with iOS.
>>
>>51981575
>Top Secret documents to be encrypted with AES 256
Other groups may not be able to access the data easily but that doesn't mean they can't. Anyway it doesn't matter if you have backdoors (hardware and software). I am pretty sure the US wouldn't let them sell their shit to foreign countries if their encryption wasn't trivial (for them) to break/bypass.
>>
>>51980861
I can't recall any of the newer models having a problem like this. IIRC the older models that did a lot more of the encryption in software, but with the newer models the disc encryption key sits in it's own protected enclave from where you can't dump it, you can only overwrite it by generating a new one stored in it's place. A full disc wipe is literally done by just refreshing the encryption key so that all the data in storage becomes useless after the only copy of the decryption key is overwritten.
>>
File: 1449158229099.png (158 KB, 454x404) Image search: [Google]
1449158229099.png
158 KB, 454x404
>>51981640
>I am pretty sure
>>
Why does Bruce Schneier use an iPhone?
>>
>>51981640

I don't think you understand how encryption works:

The United States government allows AES256 for their classified documents, it cannot be broken.

If you took every single computer on earth and dedicated it to brute forcing the encryption, it would still take longer than the heat death of the sun.

This entire article is literally about just that: They want to make it illegal for companies to have that type of encryption.
>>
>>51981574

You can't be compelled to give an encryption key in the US, unless a biometric serves as the key or the contents of the encrypted container are a foregone conclusion. The only way they could compel you is if they give you absolute immunity for the contents.
>>
>>51981765
I'm not him, but you're making assumptions about the processing power/technology of their computers.

You're probably right, but only a retard claims opinions as facts
>>
>>51981794
lol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Key_disclosure_law
>>
>>51981238
This is about CISA, which Apple never supported, but was part of the BSA who initially supported it and then pulled out.
In other words it's complete bullshit.
>>
>>51981816

I apologize, I was speaking for the US. I forget that weebs exist outside of the US.
>>
>>51981753
Read up on US laws about exporting crypto.
>>51981765
>brute forcing
I just told you that you don't need to do that if you have backdoors in place. Also they might have kept some breakthroughs in computing for themselves like they did in the past with other technologies.
>>
>>51981082
I'm still surprised that AOL took so long to turn over the keys.
>>
>>51981848
The thing is that you're just assuming that there are back doors in place when the evidence so far on iDevices being backdoored is circumstantial at beast. IIRC the actual tools revealed by the NSA require physical access to devices that they want to track and they also have to be rooted for said tools to work. If they had the kind of back doors you're talking about, why develop these cumbersome tools that require physical access and rooting?
>>
>>51981832
That's exactly what they want you to think.
>>
>>51981802

It's not an opinion any more than there is an opinion of the temperature at which water boils.

Short of a monumentally huge technological breakthrough in something like quantum computing, it's not possible with the total sum of computer processing power available in the world.

You can make assumptions about their computers because we know the computational limit of existing microprocessor technology.

Your argument basically is "well you don't know if they have some secret alien technology out something", and it is a poor one.

It's mathematically possible to break AES 256, but it would take billions of years even if you used the processing power of every microprocessor ever manufactured. It's literally as close to being practically impossible as a thing had ever been. If you don't understand the mathematical concepts I can't help you. Google that shit.
>>
>>51981432
can confirm on the automatic personal assistant voice queries being logged, part of my work I do with google is improving or verifying transcriptions for various queries.
>>
>>51980426
>>“iPhones are now the first consumer products in American history that are beyond the reach of lawful warrants,”
Pardon?
Blackberries had it for years before iCock haven't they?
>>
>>51981848

Part of the Snowden leaks indicated that they're actively undermining encryption standards and attacking software engineers that work on critical infrastructures to install their own backdoors into encryption and various other systems. Most notably, they stole all the encryption keys from the largest SIM card manufacturer. As of 2013, OTR and AES256 that its based on was safe, but nobody really knows anymore.
>>
>>51981932
Apple always claims to be the first at everything. Why even act surprised that they would claim this?
>>
>>51981848

Backdoors aren't some magic key to breaking encryption, it sidesteps it by using the credentials, and it would require it to be placed by those doing the encryption, at the time of encryption.
>>
>>51981574
Unless you live in some 3rd world country you are not obliged to tell your encryption password to anyone
>i forgot them lol
Is enough
>>
>>51981932

And Android has had FDE available for years as well. The biggest stumbling block for implementing FDE is the idiots that will be pissed when they forget their password. Apple gets around this by attaching your icloud account as a backup entry method, which is significantly less secure than standard FDE.
>>
>>51980426
>android has had full encryption for YEARS, and blackberry before them
>somehow this is new
What?
>>
>>51980426
THANK YOU STEVE
on a serious note: Thank you steve?!
>>
>>51981903
>assuming
Unless you have the source and hardware schematics of every component you will never know.
>why develop these cumbersome tools that require physical access and rooting?
The same reason they lie about the capabilities of their satelites/drones. They don't want their high profile targets to know exactly what their capabilities are (avoid countermeasures and capitalizing politicians) so they use this kind of technology on common criminals.
>>
>>51981988
>>android has had full encryption for YEARS, and blackberry before them
>>somehow this is new
cool. Tell me about the imessage equivalent with back to back encryption.
Oh, you mean google hangout?
>>
>>51980426
Full disk encryption means fuck all for always-on, always-connected devices. End to end encryption is good, but it still doesn't protect against exploits or deliberate backdoors. Daily reminder that Apple's SSL implementation accepted every certificate, regardless of validity, for years, without anyone noticing.

Android isn't at all better, but if the choice is between eating shit and strawberry-flavoured shit, I'd rather not eat at all.
>>
>>51982052
XMPP has gpg support, dipshit. I use conversations and get end to end encryption over google chat just fine.
>>
File: 4L_GEQQs2BJ.png (292 KB, 586x330) Image search: [Google]
4L_GEQQs2BJ.png
292 KB, 586x330
>>51981037
>ubuntu phone
>>
>>51981958
Why is that so unimaginable? All it takes is a little bit of monetary incentive/fear and you too would do it without reservation.
>>
>>51981932
Black berry has full disk encryption and end to end user encryption?

Thats news to me
>>
>>51981910
It happened with radar and nukes, it can happen with quantum computers.
>>
>>51982036
>Unless you have the source and hardware schematics of every component you will never know.
Same goes for you. Unless you have evidence there's something there that shouldn't be, it's just speculation. As simple as that.

>The same reason they lie about the capabilities of their satelites/drones. They don't want their high profile targets to know exactly what their capabilities are (avoid countermeasures and capitalizing politicians) so they use this kind of technology on common criminals.
Well if these are only the stuff they use for lower value targets, where are the backdoors for high value targets? Why haven't they been in all the material brought forward by Snowden?

All you're doing is speculating and acting like your speculation is somehow an actual argument.
>>
>>51981575
That was about 5 years ago, sheep.
>>
>>51982186
>it's just speculation
Plenty of confirmed backdoors have been speculation at one point. The fact is you can't just trust a company with your sensitive data if all they can give you is their word. It doesn't have to be malicious. See Juniper, they probably didn't even know they had a backdoor for ~3 years.
>Why haven't they been in all the material brought forward by Snowden?
Why do you think he had to know everything?
>>
>>51982320
>Why do you think he had to know everything?
Because he did. At least up to the point at which he grabbed the data, anyway.
He was a master sysadmin, he really did have access to everything.
>>
>>51982333
>Because he did.
Did he actually say that?
>>
>>51982127
>XMPP has gpg support
Use OTR for instant messaging. If someone compromises your private key, they can retroactively view all your past messages.
This is not the case with OTR.
>>
>>51980426
> gubberment openly admitting to being unable to gain access to your phone
literally how dumb do you have to be to believe them
>>
>>51982374
Yes.
>>
I might switch to iPhone at some point honestly. I just don't want to lose the (not GNU) freedom for iOS security.
>>
>>51982459
Where? I fucking doubt he had access to Obama's riced desktop.
>>
>>51982421
I am aware of the tradeoffs, but thanks anyways for trying to help.

OTR requires that both parties are online at once, something I dislike. I also like knowing that my phone won't auto-decrypt the message until I input my passphrase, so losing my phone doesn't automatically compromise the conversation.

I am actually looking at trying OMEMO for the best of both worlds.
>>
>>51982374
In Citizen four he says it pretty directly. He talks about how the NSA was freaking out because he had access to everything.
>>
>>51982498
In the meetings with The Guardian journalists. It's in the Citizenfour documentary.
>>
>>51980426
well considering apple helped that meth dealer with a IOS5 not the updated encrypted one, i have faith for once in apple.

still dont plan on buying an iphone tho...
>>
File: la citizên fou.jpg (3 MB, 2551x3579) Image search: [Google]
la citizên fou.jpg
3 MB, 2551x3579
>>51982374
Cant you fucks read news or watch documentaries for fuck sake.
¨
Fucking add shitfucks
>>
>>51982498

He even explicitly states in multiple interviews that he could "wiretap anyone from the President to Federal judges" without oversight. He qualifies wiretapping the President with "provided its a personal email account" in one of the interviews, he doesn't elaborate though.
>>
File: Timcook.jpg (78 KB, 897x612) Image search: [Google]
Timcook.jpg
78 KB, 897x612
>>51980813
Behead those who insult Steve Jobs.
>>
>>51982421
>>51982127
>Hey I'll just text you ok?
>N-no you need xmp hehe i-it's safe hehe
>>
File: timcuck.jpg (133 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
timcuck.jpg
133 KB, 600x450
>eating shit from your hands in the name of privacy
No thanks.
>>
>>51982996
>having friends so retarded they don't value privacy
>>
>>51981765
>>51981910

This anon gets it. We know the speeds of the fastest public clusters in the world. We can easily extrapolate an upper bound on the NSA's capabilities. Unless they have quantum computing decades ahead of the best publicly available research, they cannot crack AES256.

>muh backdoor!

If there's an iOS/iPhone backdoor, then why the hell is FedGov throwing a hissy fit over Apple's encryption and trying to pressure Congress into passing laws against it?

It's possible the NSA has a backdoor they won't share with other agencies. But not likely at this point with the latest hardware/iOS. Everyone is aware of NSA games since Snowden. NSA is clever, but not as clever as all the engineering talent of a major corporation like Apple combined.

Honestly I would be more worried about a backdoor from the Chinese since the shit is manufactured over there.

>>51981945

That cloak and dagger shit was effective before Snowden. I can't believe it's nearly as effective now with engineers actively looking for exploits planted by governments.
>>
>>51981996

Yes, thank you based Steve Jobs. This legacy is due to him. I don't know how long it will last, but so far Apple culture is still very much pro-privacy / anti-gov intrusion.
>>
>>51981276

Well said.

General purpose computing should be the mark of an enlightened society, not the closed garden of Apple, even when they decide to do what appears to be a nice gesture (encryption)(why do they care anyay? just trying to replace Blackberry?)
>>
>>51983175
>Sure anon. I'll download this nerdy app just to chat with you xD
said no one ever
>>
>>51984054
Like I said,
>having friends so retarded they don't value privacy.
Actually, another reason I use pgp is that my friends prefer it over OTR as well, because the people I hang out with actually know enough about encryption to know the advantages and disadvantages of both.

Just because you hang out with technological morons doesn't mean I do.
>>
>>51981899
Most of that data gathering was against the organization's knowledge, at least officially.

For example, the NSA had tapped Google's various datacenters before Google encrypted their internal communication.
>>
>>51980426
>falling for PR meme stunts
>>
>>51980861
It's fappening.
>>
File: MrlK4NH[1].jpg (80 KB, 700x887) Image search: [Google]
MrlK4NH[1].jpg
80 KB, 700x887
Apple is only riding the anti-government internet control wave only to retain any cred they have and so the average iGirl, iFag, iNigger will continue to shell out sheckels for for their overpriced datamining tools.

Tim Cook is a common garden variety homosexual for christs sakes.
>>
>>all iphone use full disk encryption and end to end encryption
Full disk encryption and end to end encryption are supported in Android. It is up to the user to decide how much privacy they desire.

>>meanwhile backdoors everywhere in android
Need I remind you that every time you jailbreak an iPhone, the only reason you are able to to do is because the operating system you are using is so insecure, that a user level application is able to be used to install additional software past your "no non-apple approved software" anti-feature, and gain root through other privilege escalation techniques. Keep in mind also that Apple has a track record of being slow to deal with security vulnerabilities (remember Rootpipe?)

You are not safe. You have no guarantee that you do not have keyloggers on your device, silently sitting in the background, learning the passwords to all of your most important accounts, your credit card numbers, and more. And you wouldn't know, because you're likely one of those people who thinks that the iPhone is immune to malware.
>>
>>51981575
you don't need to break it if you know how to extract the key or have clues that restrict the possible key space to a 10 hour brute force
>>
File: security.png (26 KB, 448x274) Image search: [Google]
security.png
26 KB, 448x274
>>51981575
>The NSA can't break AES256. No one can.
>>
>>51988207
If i am drugged how would i remember a long as password
>>
>>51984513
>Just because you hang out with technological morons doesn't mean I do.
no, it just means you hang out with other autistic nerds.
Imessage is great because you don't need to download anything- it just twerks.
>>51987608
maybe channel that anger against minorities and work more hours so you can afford an iphone too :)
>>
>>51988615
You cannot by yourself. You must make a copy of it somewhere.
>>
>>51980426
Tim Cook always makes sure there is a back door
>>
Silicon Valley designs the chips the government uses to power their agency super computers to spy on us.

Imagine if Silicon Valley joined together and agreed to not sell their hardware to the government.... the Feds would be so behind and unable to keep up with the planet.
Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.