[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 46
File: qqq'.jpg (1 MB, 1698x1262) Image search: [Google]
qqq'.jpg
1 MB, 1698x1262
Post your simple/small/stupid questions here, ONCE.
DO NOT BUMP THE THREAD, You are NOT entitled to an answer.

Read the sticky before posting.
Take at least 10 seconds to google it first.

Redirect or ignore anybody asking stupid questions outside this thread.
Use >>>/g/sqt as a link to find the sqt thread

If you have any GNU/Linux related questions, ask in the friendly linux thread
>>>/g/flt
>>
how can technology help me become smarter? is anyone working on a brain implant?
>>
>>51978423
Techno newbie here, I'm buying a brand new moto g, and I heard about rooting. Is this a smart idea for someone without a clue and low on cash? (Meaning I can't afford a new phone in case i rek it)
>>
>>51978445
Thats not how it works you garbage kid
>>
File: 1408756796395.jpg (69 KB, 700x900) Image search: [Google]
1408756796395.jpg
69 KB, 700x900
Ever since I got new speakers I can hear noise/static from them while scrolling and hard drive activity happens. I got a USB DAC to attempt to fix this, but it didn't go away. Also, the noise goes away if I connect my laptop to the speakers instead of my PC. Is this a ground loop issue or a motherboard issue, and how would I go about fixing this? The first seems unlikely because my speakers are plugged in the same outlet as my PC, but the latter seems unlikely as well because my motherboard was pretty expensive and has a special USB port which apparently outputs stable 5V power, made specifically for USB DACs.
>>
Someone in my family still thinks it's 2002

So I need to burn some DVDs with movies that can be playable on a DVD player. What's the fastest and simplest tool for that purpose only?
>>
chromium questions: 1/ how to disable autocomplete url in the omnibox ? 2/ how to disable the download bar from appearing?
>>
>>51978596
cdrtools cdrecord etc. https://launchpad.net/~brandonsnider/+archive/ubuntu/cdrtools
not the fork
>>
>>51978423
Looking for a reliable 2.5" harddrive for one of my miniservers.

Any recommendations? It's main use will be storage, so I don't need blazing fast r/w speeds.
>>
>>51978653
You can use a program like auto clear downloads to hide the download after it completes, for the search unless it's in flags you could try an extension
>>
>>51978724
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236496
>>
>>51978747
I keep seeing WD Blues be meme-arrowed here on /g/, is it just shitposting?
>>
>>51978423
I have my main monitor on the left, while secondary is on the right.

Whenever I run an old game that doesn't support my main display's native resolution (1080p), my second screen gets fucked up: all the windows get moved, icons on the desktop get moved and basically it seems that shit from my main display gets moved on the right.

HOWEVER, this shit DOESN'T happen if I set my main display to the right in windows display option. It only happens if the main screen is set to be on the left. Is there any way to fix this shit? I don't want to switch my monitors on the desk
>>
>>51978755
WD merged blue with black and rebranded green drives as blue
>>
File: Capture.png (13 KB, 373x205) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
13 KB, 373x205
is this a particuarly big problem?
when I go to the folder in program data jogqur.dll is completely missing
googling jogqur.dll only brings up 3 results and they're all spanish
any idea what to do here
>>
File: pixel-c-full.jpg (212 KB, 1200x805) Image search: [Google]
pixel-c-full.jpg
212 KB, 1200x805
Looking for a tablet to consume my media, especially anime, on. Narrowed it down to the Pixel C.

Comes with the latest nvidia chipset and latest Android. As far as I can see it's powerful enough for 10bit and HEVC content.

My stupid question: are there any obvious downsides to this device? It's not the most affordable device on the market but I'd rather not cheap out.
>>
My cooler and GPU are full of dust and im afraid itll blow up at any moment, its heating a lot.

What are the chances ill break everything if i open my CPU and remove them for cleaning? Ive never done this before
Do i NEED to apply new thermal paste or can i just get the dust off?
>>
>>51979060
You're using a lot of incorrect terminology here I think
Just get some canned air, open your computer case up and dust everything off.
>>
>>51979060
just get the dust off
you only need new thermal paste every year or so
>>
File: BatmanAK 2015-12-21 14-11-34-98.jpg (459 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
BatmanAK 2015-12-21 14-11-34-98.jpg
459 KB, 1920x1080
i know this is rather /v/ but there is no such thread:
how do i fix this shit?
i have a 290x
>>
>>51978533

Check your warranty.

While rooting is a pretty straight forward and safe process nowadays, some warranties might void if you do so. So if your phone has an unrelated failure that you can't repair, you're fugged.

I'd say wait a couple months if your warranty doesn't cover rooting.
>>
I have a database of data, describing connections between nodes. A single node can have any amount of connections.
How would I go about calculating the shortest route between two given nodes? Is there any fancy SQL trickery I can use?
Just looking for a hint to get me on the right foot.
>>
Can I use recovery partitions if I install Linux on a Win8 pre-installed laptop, and then reinstall Win8 with embedded key? Google didn't give much thing.
>>
Is this the right way to do it?
>>
>>51979400
No, you're suppose to put a grain of rice amount in the center left to right. But w/e, your rig not mine
>>
so i rented a vps from ovh to host a minecraft server for my little sister
but when i connect to it i get i get kicked out with an error in about 10seks
well you might think now that im a retard and set the server up wrong but the thing is if i use my linux mint machine to connect if works perfectly fine

what the hell is going on ?
>>
File: the hell.png (8 KB, 892x113) Image search: [Google]
the hell.png
8 KB, 892x113
>>51978423
Sticky says /g/ isn't for tech support requests, but that seems to be what half of these /sqt/ threads are, so here goes.

I have an external HDD reader/docking station (some obscure DeltaCo hardware) that I've been using for my new 2TB drive because I've been too lazy to open up my computer and install it properly. I finally got around to it, but my computer can't seem to read it now that it's actually in there. Taking it out and putting it back in the external reader works perfectly.

Is this a common issue? Is there any way to fix it other than moving everything to a different drive and formatting the 2TB drive the normal (internal) way?

The relevant HDD (pictured in the image) is ~99% full (~2TB), by the way.
>>
>>51979414
This is from a German hardware tutorial. I've done it like that in the past, guess I've been doing it wrong all along.
>>
>>51979435
By the looks of it, if it isn't completely corrupted you'll be lucky. I'm not sure for yours but I know some external docks have their own personal controllers that formats the drive in a way that is unreadable by Windows/your bios. If you formatted it internally you may have to reformat it to use it externally properly
>>
>>51979435
Windows version? If it's 10 it's probably a device manager driver problem. Look it up on Google.
>>
How should I partition my server in the Debian install?

LVM or not?

Partition scheme:
All files in one partition?
Separate /home partition?
Separate /home, /var, and /tmp partitions?
>>
>>51979030
(2^3)chan has a buying guide, might want to look there.
>>
>>51979430
durstigderboss.ddns.net is the minecraft server adress s-so maybe you guys could connect and tell me if its working

i really dont want to give my sister an unusable server
>>
>>51979550
Why is (2^3)chan so superior?
>>
>>51979479
>By the looks of it, if it isn't completely corrupted you'll be lucky.
Taking it out and using the dock works, so I guess
>some external docks have their own personal controllers that formats the drive in a way that is unreadable by Windows/your bios
is the reason.

>If you formatted it internally you may have to reformat it to use it externally properly
I assume you mean that the other way around.
That was pretty much my plan. I was hoping there'd be a better way since I don't have enough free space to move the data to while doing that.

>>51979514
Windows 7 32bit.
>>
>>51979541
I decided for LVM with separate /home partition.
>>
So, I've been messing with realtek audio manager a bit, and I found that the speaker/ sound effects tab lets me remove a lot of the leftover noise I get with my microphone

But since it's in the speaker tab, I guess it wouldn't apply to my mic for others, is there any way I can make it?
>>
hello gee

I just got my new SSD and would like to try out Linux on it for everyday use since I don't game that much.

Problem is I need winblows for some GIS applications and since my PC is not that powerful I'd like to dual boot win7 and Mint.

What is the sensible course of action for this?
>>
I installed OpenWrt on my router but I don't seem to be able to setup public key authentication. I did everything as described in the OpenWrt wiki, but when I try to login I get this message: "Agent admitted failure to sign using the key".

What did I fuck up?
>>
>>51979989
install gentoo, ofc
No, really, dual boot it.
>>
I'm looking for an music library organizer for GNU/Linux to organize my mpd server's files.
It should be able to reorganize files, find metadata online, and copy the files to other disks (preferrably altering the names of files with fat-32 unsupported symbols).
File viewing would be nice as well, as long as the viewing is ncurses-based.
Does anything with these options exist? Or am I better off writing something myself?
>>
>>51980008

I've heard it is pretty difficult get running and sadly I've been using windows all my life so I'd like to take baby steps to get into the whole linux thing.

I guess I could be more specific, do I install w7 first and then the linux distro or viceversa? How much space should I allocate for each one? do I have to do a manual partition or does the installation give me the tools to do so.

SSD is 120gb and should contain both OSs and a couple applications (5 GB estimated)
>>
Does someone know what is called a video transition to blank alpha channel in after effects? I m looking for a tutorial
>>
>>51978423
is there a gpu better than than the 750ti that costs the same?
>>
how do i reset my MATE desktop environment from the recovery mode command line in Ubuntu?
>>
>>51980085
>install windows
>download linux mint
>burn it and boot from the dvd
>use gparted to shrink windows partition if necessary
>install linux mint on the freed up space
>reboot and you are done

come on, there are tons of guides for this
>>
what was that lightweight debian distribution with that fancy window manager called?
>>
Guys, how do I retire my paypal money? let's say

>account name is john smith
>dont have bank account so I use my gf's account
>her name his jane doe

please help
>>
>>51980869
shrinking windows will break it and the loader will complain about changed hardware .
I think the win installer have a basic disk partitioner so you can decide how much space before hand
>>
>>51981092
How did you even link the bank to your paypal account with mismatching names?
jane dow can only withdraw money from bank
john smith can only use paypal money online
>>
>>51981092
Transfer the money to her paypal
>>
>>51981140

i dont get it, i linked her debit card and her bank account, still no sign of the deposit paypal does to check the account

>>51981177

if she doesn't have a paypal account i can just make one and send her the moneys?
>>
>>51981104
>shrinking windows will break it
not with windows 7+
>>
>>51981210
yeah i forgot about that 100mb partition that it makes when installing
>>
`Why do people sometimes quote this way?'
>>
Does anyone know how to add programs to the "All Apps" list on the start menu for Windows 10?
>>
>>51981206
it takes at least 3 days
>>
Win8.1

I have a directory full of 600ish folders with jpgs in them

I want to batch convert these folders to zip format, how can I do this?

I can't just right click and compress them all because that will create a zip with a folder INSIDE it, and I want the zip to contain the jps in it with no directory inbetween

How can I do this
>>
>>51981425
just create an archive, open it with 7zip and drag the files into the window
>>
>>51981425
write a batch file that does this. how much programming do you know.
>>
is there a chrome / firefox extension that allows me to save a youtube video as mp3 in as few clicks as possible? I know of youtube-mp3, but I've got a playlist of 1000+ songs I have to go though. Thanks
>>
Im trying to install windows 7 on a server I got from a friend but it won't read any of the drives.
I did the whole "list disk" thing on the cmd prompt but none of the drives are coming up; "no drives found". The bios can read the drives, gparted can read them, and of course debian can read them too. Even after formatting the damn things to nstf windows 7 still couldn't read them on the install.

Any way to fix this shit?

>inb4 install gentoo, I need windows on this machine, no gnu.
>>
>>51981443
But I want to make a seperate zip for EACH folder

essentially I want to replace each folder full of jpgs with a zip full of jpgs

>>51981452
I know how to batch convert files like a txt to a cfg

but I don't know how to do it with folders, because as far as I know they don;'t have a filetype the same way .exe's and .jpg's do

I'm not sure how to go about doing it
>>
>>51981490
Use another computer to install on the drive, then put it back in the server
>>
File: utube-dl.png (25 KB, 504x233) Image search: [Google]
utube-dl.png
25 KB, 504x233
>>51981467
there is a website if you don't mind
http://www.clipconverter.cc/
they have an addon but i never tried it
if you use a *nix there is youtube-dl
>>
File: 1372603974621.jpg (1015 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1372603974621.jpg
1015 KB, 1920x1080
How do I stay clear of malware on Windows, lads? For example a lot of installers have adware so I have to be really careful of what I install.
>>
>>51981467
youtube center
>>
>>51981539
*youtube center dev build
>>
>>51981467
An easy solution is to get a bookmarklet link to offliberty.com (go to the site and youll see what I mean)

But if you want to Batch download songs, download "4K Youtube to MP3". You can import a youtube playlist, and it can batch convert all the videos to mp3 format
>>
File: capppppp.png (24 KB, 981x248) Image search: [Google]
capppppp.png
24 KB, 981x248
>>51981539
>>51981549

Alright, I downloaded it, installed it in Chrome, and now I can't check the box to enable it. I used to be able to add extensions like this before, but now I can't seem to get them working?
>>
>>51981592
i have no idea about chrome, if you don't get it to work, use the userscript version with tampermonkey, if that still is a thing
>>
>>51981526
make snapshots of your disk and your registry before you install anything
-try in a sandbox or a virtual machine
-just like you said be careful with the installers
>>
File: apple-tv-gallery4-2015.jpg (168 KB, 2000x1536) Image search: [Google]
apple-tv-gallery4-2015.jpg
168 KB, 2000x1536
How much of a meme is this thing?
My mom wants to buy one and i don't know if it's worth it.
>>
>>51981525
>>51981539
>>51981584

Thanks for all the help, I found a crack copy of 4K Youtube to MP3 which allows me to download more than 25 videos in my playlist of 1500+ songs, so thanks.
>>
>>51981685
youtube-dl already does this, and better, without needing a 'crack' that will likely infect you.
>>
>>51981705
yeh, infect him with those sick beats hes gettin
>>
>>51981584
>>51981685
you can feed a playlist to youtube-dl too.

there's not a single reason to use anything but this.
It's the best tool for this.

especially with DASH streaming, you can only download the audiostream, no need to download the video too.
>>
>>51981177

I created an account and tried to tranfer the moneys but it wont let me, do I have to wait a day or something before sending money to a new account?
>>
>>51981736

Alright then, how do I use youtube-dl?
>>
I have a Rockboxed Sansa Clip Zip, love it to pieces.

However, during playback, there are occasionaly missed / skipped samples that are repeatable (rewind, recur). I assume it's a fault of the internal memory card. (Formated vfat / Fat32)

So my question is (using Linux) is there some way I can mark the bad places in the memory so as to not be used, or do I just have to live with the skips happening?
>>
HHELP
I GOT AN EMAIL TELLING ME TO STOP TORRENTING FROM MY UNIVERSITY INTERNET. WTF? WHAT KIND OF SHIT IS THIS? DENMARK IS SUCH A NAZI COUNTRY. What can I do to get away with stuff like this?
>>
Hey, I'm going to do the telemetry removal and some of the updates are for the update client. Will removing the updates break anything or make my computer vulnerable?
>>
>>51981831
VPN
>>
>>51981781
man youtube-dl
>>
>>51981854
which one?
>>
>>51981855

Just a protip: not everyone understands how to use command prompts, python, etc
>>
On my left monitor BakaMPlayer has strange issues, but they don't show up on my right monitor. How is this even possible?
>>
>>51978423

Is the mcsa a good cert anyone know any books for the 410,11,12?
>>
What's he best self-teaching website for web dev?
Codeacademy?
Lynda?
Treehouse?
Codeavenger?
I don't fucking knowwwwww
>>
>PC with Qualcomm Atheros WNA and Intel Gigabit Ethernet
>Latest Android on Nexus 5 using 100mbps 4G

How can I open up my ports? I don't have any router/modem options to access to, am I just fucked? Called to the operator and they said they opened them but nothings fucking open
>>
>>51982046
I am currently using hotspot through USB, I tried it through wifi too. Both work 'just fine' but have ports closed.
>>
File: settings-apn-scn-1.jpg (163 KB, 1600x937) Image search: [Google]
settings-apn-scn-1.jpg
163 KB, 1600x937
>>51982069
>>51982046
They said change APN name.

but I don't have this sort of menu in Windows 10 Enterprise.

I'm so fucking lost
>>
>>51981781
this how on linux :
to download the highest quality available
> youtube-dl {utube-video-link-here}
to see available streams for a video
> youtube-dl -F {utube-video-link-here}
to download a stream from above, note it's tag number then
> youtube-dl -f {tag-number} {utube-video-link}
you can combine streams like high quality audio with worst quality video
>youtube-dl -f {video-tag-number}+{audio-tag-number} {utube-video-link}
example
>youtube-dl -f 136+170 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4SduMb4moc
or simply
>youtube-dl -f 136+170 y4SduMb4moc
and much more can be done with playlists
protip , it works with vimeo and many other providers
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (83 KB, 795x1007) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
83 KB, 795x1007
Why the shit can't I get this Xbone controller to work? Thought it was plug-and-play sempai.
>>
>>51981736
>>51981705

What's the parameter for downloading just audio?

Thus far I've got youtube-dl.exe "PLAYLIST HERE" -i , what do I put for downloading just the mp3 format of every video in said playlist?
>>
>bought an SSD purely for games
>load times don't seem to have improved

Is this normal? Have I been fucked?
>>
>>51982097
try
>-f bestaudio
>>
>>51982097
you pass -x for just audio and --audio-format "mp3" for mp3, on linux/osx this requires ffmpeg though. Idk how it is on Windows
>>
>>51982097
https://github.com/rg3/youtube-dl/blob/master/README.md#readme
-x, --extract-audio Convert video files to audio-only files
but as >>51982121 said -f bestaudio should work
>>
>>51982152
ffmpeg is required when muxing (combining) audio with video and subtitles , downloading audio shouldn't require ffmpeg but idk how it is on windows either
>>
Can someone help me refine this reddit search string to exclude posts with 'spend over' and keep it under 100 characters?

title:free NOT (title:'drm free' title:'free weekend' title:'free shipping') subreddit:gamedeals
>>
I have a Nvidia GT 440. It's pretty old and pretty shitty. The most capable upgrade my motherboard can support is a GT 730 This will cost me 100 bucks. Should I do it?
>>
>>51982091
Xbox controllers require drivers, found Microsoft's website
>>
Is there an upgrade path from Windows 8.1 to 10 Enterprise?
>>
>>51982208
No
>>
>>51982285
Been looking left and right for drivers. Only get an instructions page that says they're downloaded automatically.
>>
How many of you had honestly forgotten that VLC put a cute hat on the application icon for christmas?
>>
>>51982121
>>51982152
>>51982162

Thanks guys. It worked. However some have downloaded into WebMs, but I'll just go back and individually download those.
>>
>>51982352
don't expect an .mp3
only .webm and .m4a are available
>>
>>51982349
I forget that every year.
>>
>>51982349
I forgot when shit became outdated
>>
So I bought a hyper 212 evo without realizing that it wouldn't fit in my case. Should I just put it on and leave my case open, or rma it and get something else. If the latter, what would you reccomend I get?
>>
>>51982472
>VLC
>outdated
but it's not.
>>
What's some good software for checking your HHD's health on Win7?
>>
Getting a smartphone tomorrow, my first smartphone ever.
Have Verizon as my network.
Any suggestions on which one to get?
>>
>>51982661
crystaldiskinfo
>>
>>51981946
:^)
https://github.com/rg3/youtube-dl/blob/master/README.md#readme
>>
I'm not very familiar with SSD's, but I have just installed one from Sandisk for the OS drive. It seems to be working fine, but when I try to use the Dashboard software installer for it, it just pops up in a tiny unopenable titlebar. I can only minimize or exit it, nothing else.

Any suggestions?
>>
>>51982673
thanks!
>>
I recall reading somewhere that you should charge your phone before the battery runs out completely, at what remaining power should I do it?
>>
don't want to shit up the board by making a new thread:

has there been any development on ubuntu touch wrt new devices or a stable release?
>>
I connected my android to my windows, and it was fine, was just transferring pictures over. Then it said the USB device malfunctioned, wasn't recognised, and to try reconnecting it or the device wasn't working properly. Each time I reconnect my phone says same thing and I can't swap my files over.
Advice ?
>>
>>
>>51982707
I fucking hate people like you
>>
>>51982573
get something that fits your case. because dust
>>
How do people set their DPI settings or zoom levels on a 1440p screen?

I just got one and everything feels off. At 100% things are nice and sharp with plenty of space but text seems so small in web pages and such. Moving up to 125-150% makes the UI elements seem awfully large though. It also fucks up certain programs text scaling making it look fuzzy and awful.
>>
>>51982819
1440p doesn't need scaling.
>>
>>51982839
It's a 25" screen about 2 feet away. I can read the text perfectly fine and I like how many web tabs and such I can see at once, but text is smaller than I would really like and zooming pages tends to soften the text.

Maybe I just need to get used to it.
>>
File: 1428442948042.jpg (89 KB, 425x476) Image search: [Google]
1428442948042.jpg
89 KB, 425x476
If I take the pcb off an older wd hard drive and put a newer one on it, what will happen?
>>
>>51982819
>>51982839
>>51982865
Windows explorer and program fonts can be changed with font size in control panel, and Chrome has its own page zoom setting in settings. That looks good on 125% zoom.
>>
>>51982880
You'll kill the drive if you tried. Even successful, they're not compatible. It won't fit
>>
I have a Radeon HD7950 card, and randomly I get some artifacts on the screen which clear up quickly. I've had this problem for over a year already and it's persisting across different Windows installations.

Are AMD drivers just junk or is my card going to break?
>>
>>51982904
Well damn. The spindle drive ic is burnt and the like 1 replacement I've found is like 40$, and it's an old ass 160gb drive.
Also what do you mean by kill, like kill it scratch the platters all to shit kill?
>>
>>51982960
I'd imagine you would have to dissect the whole drive to replace any part to it, and the moment you expose the platters to your filth the drive is dead
>>
How the fuck do you create a KVM VM through CLI?

Most guides have an XML example or something, but never explain where the hell to put it and shit.

There seems to be graphical tools too, but fug dat shit.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (32 KB, 485x660) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
32 KB, 485x660
>>51982982
..the pcb is on the outside of the drive and comes off with a few screws. The spindle drive ic is a small chip on the pcb.
>>
>>51982982
>and the moment you expose the platters to your filth the drive is dead
it's not insta death, but don't expect more than few spinups to backup whatever is still readable
>>
How do I run FTP through a VPN?
>>
recommend me better filesystem than exfat for shared partition on tripple boot system
>>
>>51983034
Don't give him false hope.

>>51983025
If you don't have to replace the spindle too then go ahead. I still don't think it will work after
>>
File: Untitled2.jpg (70 KB, 830x1102) Image search: [Google]
Untitled2.jpg
70 KB, 830x1102
>>51983074
Do you have to replace the spindle too if you replace the pcb, even if it's the same pcb down to model and revision?
Also speaking of, if it does come to me having to play platter hockey how long can I expect it to work before it dies again? An hour?
>>
>>51982882
Explorer looks kind of silly with 12pt text on other screens but looks much better on the 1440p with custom font size.

Firefox is still an issue though. UI and all is fine, but page text is awfully small unless zoomed in and setting it to override web page CSS is likely going to cause other issues.
>>
>>51983098
I was assuming so, but honestly I've never gone that far. If you have an exact replacement for just the PCB then I suppose you could try.

If you did open the drive up and put it back together it's not a matter if it will work, but how much of the drive is still readable.
>>
>>51983155
Drive hasn't been opened, it's pcb is just toasted.
I wish the lady I'm doing this for had just told me she wanted files off it, she brought it in for another unrelated matter so I didn't think anything of it. Bastard was working fine for a full day, could have done it at any point but of course she only thinks of it when it's dead.
>>
>>51983105
You're retarded for using multiple monitors that have different PPIs. You're also retarded for thinking that zooming in on a web page is going to affect css.
>>
>>51982613
But MPV does everything VLC does, better.
>>
What's the best way to recover from DISKPART CLEAN'ing the wrong partition?
>>
>>51983213
can it stream to an rtmp server
>>
>>51983200
There is hardly anything wrong is having different size and PPI monitors when they are for different tasks, it can be a pain though.

Also the zoom and css are two different things. First off zooming into a page to make the text not seem super small resizes everything making it look like ass.

Change firefoxes default CSS options to force font settings while leaving zoom at 100% will instead break page layouts.
>>
Are the differences between ddr3 and ddr3l ram negligible?
>>
File: Capture.png (135 KB, 1889x1341) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
135 KB, 1889x1341
>>51983198
When it comes to drives replacing them when they fail is so much cheaper then it is to try and repair them. I do wish you the best of luck if you try and repair the drive. Since I don't actually know how far you can go to replace parts on a drive, I might take to YouTube to see. I don't have a whole lot more info I can share with you
>>
Where is the best place to get a legit copy of Windows 7? Also, where did Daz Loader go?
>>
>>51983341
amazon.com
>>
>>51983361
Maybe not that "legit".
>>
File: this doesn't look right.jpg (8 KB, 251x140) Image search: [Google]
this doesn't look right.jpg
8 KB, 251x140
This is really stupid. So i just built a new PC and within 3 days i started getting "hdmi/dvi/ect not connected" messages at random, using both the igpu and gpu. I stumbled about cleaning out drivers, running a memtest ect, before i finally checked my psu readings on Speccy.

This means my psu is fucked, correct?
>>
>>51983198
If you're wondering what I've learned in five minutes, the PCB has to be from the exact same drive model and make. An older revision will not work
>>
Buying second hand PSU and/or CPU
Yay or nay?
I found a Intel Celeron G1820 for 20€ wich is pretty decent and plan on buying a few PSU for 5€ each in my local cybercafe (owned by a friend now)
>>
I have a PC with Debian and a laptop with W10.

In that laptop I downloaded WMware Workstation and want to set up a VM that has access to the network but not to the internet.

i.e. my PC has a 192.168.1.47 address, my laptop a 192.168.1.32 address and want the VM to have a 192.168.1.X address so I can see it with my Debian PC.

I'd prefer if it didn't have access to the internet for security reasons.
>>
Does Windows 10 purposely decide not to open up old applications that were built for ~ Windows XP era? I'm asking because I installed an older game but no matter what I do it won't launch at all.
>>
>>51983439
Did you try compatibility mode?
>>
>>51983439
trying running them in compatibility mode.
>>
>>51983439
only if it's a 16bit-application.
but then it'd tell you.
>>
>>51983438
Use NAT so it can communicate with your host and other devices, And remove the default gateway. It communicates with layer 2 (MAC address) removing the gateway prevents layer 3 packets from leaving the network
>>
>>51983267
all i could find is a difference in the voltage they use
DDR3 = 1.5 Volts
DDR3L = 1.35 Volts

i guess the L stands for low voltage
and 0.15 Volts are not enough to cut your bill in half
>>
What software do I use to open DICOM files in Arch?
>>
>>51983487
>>51983267
I would had answered this but I didn't see it. Some laptops use DDR3L while other use DDR3. You cannot use either, your laptop needs the one it was made for. That's because of the voltage it uses.
>>
>>51983485
I am using NAT, but ifconfig shows that it's using an IP outside the subnet ( 192.168.152.128 )
>>
>>51983267
One of the only important differences is that some newer CPU's support DDR3L but not regular DDR3, and the reverse of that.
>>
>>51980869
>>51981104

How big should each partition be? Do I just go 50/50 and call it a day?
>>
File: 20151221_101604.jpg (612 KB, 1500x1174) Image search: [Google]
20151221_101604.jpg
612 KB, 1500x1174
>>51983394
Yeah, that's the conclusion I've come to also.
What I'm curious about is why it bit the dust, and why it did so on me. It looks like it's been burning longer then I've had it, but maybe she has a shit power supply that has been overloading it.
>>
File: Capture.png (61 KB, 695x671) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
61 KB, 695x671
>>51983628
NAT gives VMware it's own private network that you can change in the Virtual Network Editor. NAT uses both onboard and wireless

If you used bridged, it would give VMware full control over your onboard/wireless and the VM wouldn't be able to communicate with the host (unless you give one wireless and one onboard or something)

The virtual router's IP address is 192.168.X.2 or whatever. Remove it from your network adapter in Debian, or set a static IP and don't include the DG
>>
>>51983687
Possibly. Ironically I've seen HDDs kill PSUs before. One other idea I can suggest (you won't like this) Clean that PCB. Rinse and scrub it clean. Obviously it will need to completely dry (24 hours or so) before it can be powered on again, but I bet that will give you enough life to copy the files off the drive
>>
File: kawah-ijen-139.jpg (116 KB, 790x525) Image search: [Google]
kawah-ijen-139.jpg
116 KB, 790x525
I'm on the hunt for a cheap used laptop, sadly I know shit about which laptops are good.

It shoud run some Debian distro, some light GIS applications on wine, have 4gb RAM (expandable or not) and a 2.5" slot for an SSD would be highly appreciated but not a deal breaker.

Will a core2duo suffice or should I go for some celeron? Are there any AMD laptops worth it?

thanks gee
>>
>>51983787
>core2duo
>celeron
>APU
>>
I need to forward/open ports in my Nexus 5 so my PC can get faster download speeds.

I have opened ports from the actual mobile data connection (I had to call to operator so they opened it)

but now my Nexus 5 and its settings are bottlenecking my speed when I share the net to PC

How do I forward/open firewall(?) in Nexus5/latest Android?
>>
>>51983341

MyDigitalLife forums for both. Daz never left and MDL is the only legit repository for windows loaders.
>>
>>51983769
>burnt chip
>clean pcb and boot again
uhhh.. no
>>
>>51983814

You may laugh at me but at least post some suggestions faggit.
>>
>>51983833
I don't think it's burnt, just shorting. Like you said it looks like it's been that way for awhile
>>
>>51983704
I followed until the third line.

So if I want to be able to communicate with the VM from Debian I need to remove Debian' s 192.168.1.1 gateway and set it to the one that the VM is using?
>>
File: HTC-8s-925664540-3737524-1[1].png (1 MB, 1200x1074) Image search: [Google]
HTC-8s-925664540-3737524-1[1].png
1 MB, 1200x1074
HTC 8S/8X/7 Surround or any Windows Phone HTC - any owners here?

I look for one of the original ringtones named Haze as heard here: https://youtu.be/eWz86wh1MYc?t=1m31s
Could you record it with Audacity for me, Anon?
>>
File: 343.jpg (139 KB, 862x698) Image search: [Google]
343.jpg
139 KB, 862x698
My tabs are broken and have this white box on them, how do I fix it's hurting my head/possibly autism to look.
>>
>>51983857
seen this picture? >>51983687
shit's done
>>
>>51983449
>>51983452
>>51983465
I've tried running it in compatibility mode along with Administrator Mode with majority of other applications turned off but when I try to launch the game, I get no response at all. It used to work with Windows 8.1 but when I upgraded to 10 I can't figure it out.
>>
File: Capture.png (20 KB, 584x319) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
20 KB, 584x319
>>51983909
Okay: Basic internet concepts.

Completely forget VMs for a second. Your router has one public IP address. when your laptop or other device inside your private 192.168 network communicate on the internet it's all seen as the same public router IP address.

Your VM is the same thing. VMware has a virtual router and its own private network.

Also I made a mistake. I thought the VM was Debian. Anywhere I said Debian replace with VM
>>
>>51984004
I get that, but that's not what I want.

I don't want VMware to use it's private router.

I want that VM to get an IP from my router so that I can communicate with it using my Debian machine (not the host)
>>
>>51981831
Let me guess, you were torrenting "Linux distros"?
>>
what hosts file does /g/ use?
>>
I want to dual-boot Linux to force myself to actually learn it. How would I go about doing this without deleting Windows as well?
>>
>>51984062
Then you have to use bridged. It'll get a DHCP IP from your router. But to disconnect the Internet and communicate with Debian you still have to set a static IP and remove the default gateway address. Also with bridged I don't know how well that's gonna play between your host and guest.
>>
>>51983787
Core2duo is pretty old. A modern and chip will get you more for the money including pretty decent graphics.
>>
>>51984120
insert ubuntu USB. (>inb4 noobuntu, you're a noob so use a noob distro). it'll ask you if you want to try or install. if you hit install it should give you the option of installing alongside existing things.

make sure to backup just in case though
>>
>>51981831
>implying DENMARK IS SUCH A NAZI COUNTRY
In Poland we don't even get letters, admins are just asked by court who was assigned that IP to and you pay fine.
>>
>>51984113
http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/
>>
I've been reading about SSDs and power outages and it's made super paranoid about getting an SSD only to have it die on me if power goes out some day. It doesn't happen very often but I do use the PC a lot so it's super likely that I'm using it when power goes out. I wouldn't store any important data in the SSD anyway but I wouldn't want to lose the OS installation and all the programs and stuff

How big are the chances of catastrophic data loss or flatout SSD death? If the PC locks up for whatever reason and I have to do a hard reset, does that also damage the SSD?

Fuck
>>
>>51984195
>ubuntu
Really? Someone else told me to use Mint+Cinnamon. Should I not?
>>
>>51983918
Found it myself. If anyone cared, it's Ring 14 in http://www.techimperial.com/how-to/get-windows-phone-7-stock-sounds-ringtones-alerts-alarms-and-notifications-download/ the first link (WMA).
>>
>>51984288
Use Ubuntu Gnome. If you don't even try Gnome before you knock it I'll hunt you down

>I want to dual-boot Linux to force myself to actually learn it. How would I go about doing this without deleting Windows as well?
By not dual booting at all. That's a bad idea that'll kill Windows. Use a VM (VMware). That way you can switch back to your host, Windows when you get stuck and cannot make something work.
>>
How do I transfer files from a linux server to a windows pc? There are some files on a Debian 8 based server I'd like to back up to my desktop (windows 10). How do I do this? I only have ssh access to the server.
>>
>>51984322
rsync, or setup an nfs share and access it on Windows

>I only have ssh access to the server
I'm assuming it's your server, otherwise this would be a really stupid question
>>
>>51984322
use Filezilla on windows to connect to your server
>>
>>51984319
I already have tried using a VM, I never actually learn anything because I'm still just using Windows with Linux occasionally thrown in as well. Hence why I want to dual-boot it.
>That's a bad idea that'll kill Windows
Which is why literally no one dual-boots anything. Obviously it's possible, why would it kill Windows?
>>
File: xaQ3N.png (101 KB, 846x541) Image search: [Google]
xaQ3N.png
101 KB, 846x541
>>51984393
Because GRUB replaces your Windows bootloader. The minute you remove Linux, you kill Windows. Or if you fuck up installing GRUB. I suppose the other anon was right, using Ubuntu and Unity. Ubuntu has a way of using the Windows bootloader (it just adds a boot entry and is easily removable)
>>
>>51984393
because you don't know what you're doin is why it would kill windows, also if you don't use it in a vm then what makes you think you're gonna reboot to use it?
>>
>>51981831
dumbass
nearly all uni/colleges have anti torrenting policies even for legitimate stuff cause you get a handfull of people torrenting and it fucks network speeds for everyone else
>>
Any of you tried this?

https://www.kingoapp.com/

Downloaded the windows version but it gets stucks loading and does nothing.
>>
>>51978423
I just checked my email and I have a bunch of emails titled "aobo report" from my own email address. It contains every keystroke and every site I used during that time. That's from 2011 on a new macbook. I'm having a hard time figuring it out. My computer was password protected and I don't think I've seen my father ever touch it. How the fuck did it get there and did it send it to anyone else since it sent it to myself? Could my father have tried to spy on me?
>>
>>51984470
been in the same boat anon, when kingroot doesn't work your best option is towelroot
>>
>>51984427
GRUB doesn't replace the win bootloader , it chain-loads to it.
one can backup the MBR and restore when deleting linux but let's be honest no one removes linux
>>
>>51984493
Nice job getting fucked by your family.
>>
>>51983820
Do you really have to register with them now to get at the link?
>>
>>51984427
I'll be honest, I didn't know about GRUB. So I should just install Ubuntu and not need to worry about any potential problems?
>>51984431
Because with a VM, I still have three monitors that are Windows even if I go fullscreen on the VM. I'm not going to use Windows as a crutch if I need to reboot to get to it.
>>
>>51984427
I don't know if it's like this on all lenovo laptops, or just newer ideapads, but if I am running Windows and want to install Linux and grub fucks up or for whatever reason I don't want a Windows entry in my bootloader, next to my power cable is a recessed emergency button that if I push it while the machine is powered off, it starts up with a menu with options to enter the bios, factory restore or view a boot menu. The boot menu lists every bootable OS installed on my machine. My current setup only shows arch in grub and I use the emergency button to boot windows when I need it. It has proved useful though, like when I installed deepin and its bootloader was all fuckery, i could still get back to Windows.
>>
>>51984523
>So I should just install Ubuntu and not need to worry about any potential problems?
That's up to you. I hate Linux. It's fucking useless as a desktop OS, but great for file servers, DNS servers, Apache server, anything that's a server and nothing else.
>>
>>51984497
I got a bad feeling because it says "kingo root" not king, and I don't want to join any botnet.

Considering trying this

http://androidmtk.com/download-kingroot-application

Also I only see a donate button on towelroot website and I'm not a big fan of that.
>>
>>51978423
hasn't this been on one episode of south park?
>>
>>51984350
Yeah it's mine ofc, a small vps.

>>51984366
This looks nice
>>
>>51984557
ah shit, I didn't even notice that, nice catch
>>
>>51984516

Yeah use a cock.li mail if you're unsure about your free dooms.

ISOs are legit.
>>
Does hibernate works on windows 10? on 8.1 turns off on 10 it turns on itself at a random time
>Botnet
>>
>>51984516
yeah, it's quick and painless though, then you gotta hit the thank button to see the links, I think it's basically a way to track who sees the links, to know who the suspects are when shit is reported, over several reports that list will get narrowed down and they can then boot the offending user and they can't see the links to report them to hosters anymore
>>
>>51978423
Would an upgrade to a GTX 750Ti be very substantial from a GT 430?
>>
>>51984637
yes
>>
>>51984284

bls resbond
>>
>got a X99 board
>have ddr4 2666 ram
>people said when you use the xmp profile baseclock goes to 125
>put xmp profile at 2666
>baseclock stays at 100
>put xmp profile 2 (2800mhz)
>baseclock goes to 125

i heard that anything with 2400mhz and over was supposed to go at 125 baseclock when you enable any xmp.
Why not in this case ?
>>
>>51984749
>paranoid about getting an SSD only to have it die on me if power goes out some day
What the fuck? This isn't true in the slightest.
>>
>>51984749
if you're that concerned just invest in an uninterrupted power supply, they basically give you ten to fifteen minutes to shut down if the power goes out, and they start beeping real loud to let you know the power is out and you outta save shit and shut down
>>
>>51978423

I need a Microphone for when I play CS or something and wanna bullshit, or get on Skype etc.

I already have a nice pair of headphones though, so I don't want a gay fucking headset with headphones

suggestions?
>>
>>51984841
no
>>
>>51984811
just grab any cheap free standing mic off of newegg that has decent reviews
>>
>>51984588
I'll try kingroot apk since towelroot doesn't support this phone.
>>
http://www.amazon.co.uk/2-Pack-Syncwire-Nylon-Braided-Charger/dp/B01533U5X0/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1450729323&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=micro+usb+cable&psc=1#Ask

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Braided-Tangle-Free-Gold-Plated-Connectors-Android/dp/B00SUX2IPE/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1450729501&sr=1-2&keywords=micro+usb+cable+htc

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Upgraded-Version-RAVPower-Assorted-Lengths-y/dp/B00YAF14QK/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00NAN3O20/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

which one of these cables would be a better purchase for a phone charger? The ones I use always end up becoming too weak to charger or slow chargers.
>>
How many curryniggers does it take to run The Cloud?
Genuinely curious here.
>>
are low profile cpu coolers worth buying if I don't plan to overclock?
>>
>>51984841
you can create an account an download the videos without playing them... not very practical but yea just an idea
>>
>>51984940
only if you're gonna post in guts threads, otherwise, well I haven't seen any benchmarks or anything but, I have a hard time imagining a low profile custom cooler could do any better than the stock low profile cooler
>>
>>51978423
im using an android and just uninstall the default app i use to use to view images from text messages, so now when i click on images from text messages, i get a blank screen. how do i change which program is suppose to open text message images??
>>
Do i buy a 390X or buy a second hand 280x and crossfire it with my 7970? I will need to upgrade my PSU if i go crossfire.
>>
File: 1430115515020.png (45 KB, 232x256) Image search: [Google]
1430115515020.png
45 KB, 232x256
the wiki says the PACMAN rom is unstable but how so? Is it something that a newb would be fine trying out?
>>
>>51978423
ISIS can't just capture Santa like that, he would just magic himself away

This has to be a shoop
>>
>>51985166
Sell the 7970 and buy a GTX 980 Ti
>>
>>51985187
you are underestimating ISIS and overestimating Santa
>>
>>51984950
>>51984881
Damn. Well, thanks for responding.
>>
>>51979541
Separate root, var home and tmp.
LVM, use as small of partitions as you can, so you can grow when and where needed. Most filesystems let you grow online, so if it ends up being root or var filling up, just expand that as needed. You can pin lvs to specific pvs if you have something you want to relegate to a slower drive, or put on a faster drive.

LVM does have a performance hit, but it's not noticeable in practice.
>>
File: itwasfree.png (27 KB, 621x436) Image search: [Google]
itwasfree.png
27 KB, 621x436
So, i got for free a old HP desktop from a relative with a somewhat cool 1440x900 vga lcd monitor that apparently has no damage.
I ran speccy and i really didn't expected anything more than this, but the sticker on the case says that it's suppossed to come with a 320gb hdd.
I have some spare time so i wan't to turn this into a linux learning/shitposting machine but the specs feel a bit claustrophobic to me.
tl;dr (actual stupid question)
Can i just drop a couple of 2gb ddr2 667mhz in the RAM? since they're dirt cheap these days.
I will replace that HDD with a spare 250gb hdd i have from a prev desktop too.
>>
File: Capture.png (126 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
126 KB, 1366x768
im confused about the stock partions on my lenovo whats going on here. what can i get ride of.
>>
File: 1420402446842.gif (392 KB, 344x266) Image search: [Google]
1420402446842.gif
392 KB, 344x266
I recently got a x220T. What's the best program to use for writing notes?
>>
>>51985377
onenote is pretty good
>>
crossfire sounds pretty awesome
but id just go for a 290 or 290X
you can already do 4K in games with that and 390 isnt that much of a difference
>>
>>51985377
Windows or loonix?

If loonix: don't
>>
>>51985396
Windows 8.1
>>
>>51985377
I'm partial to abiword
>>
>>51985386
It's the only good program MS makes right now
>>
File: j4A36EX.jpg (321 KB, 2560x1600) Image search: [Google]
j4A36EX.jpg
321 KB, 2560x1600
What's a good site to get purchasing advice for tablets?
I've been using a Memopad 7 for the past 2 years, and it got bricked last week, due to some motherboard corruption that I can't even root. Battery tested fine, and tips to revive it don't work. I need another sub $100 tablet.

Sticky says that /g/ isn't a personal review site, so where, apart from cNet, is good to find advice?
>>
File: 1424213468944.gif (1 MB, 800x587) Image search: [Google]
1424213468944.gif
1 MB, 800x587
>>51985386
>>51985420
Thanks guys I'll check these out
>>
>>51985362
everything except the C:
>>
>>51985436
You'd never know the time unless you took the ring off and looked at it with a magnify glass. Useless
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 46

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.