[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When will HDDs finally disappear from the market to be confined
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4
File: 2000px-Hard_drive-en.svg.png (292 KB, 2000x1429) Image search: [Google]
2000px-Hard_drive-en.svg.png
292 KB, 2000x1429
When will HDDs finally disappear from the market to be confined to history forever along with other obsolete technologies?
>>
When 4TB SSD's are affordable
>>
>>51977321
when the cloud becomes free
>>
File: 4tb ssd.jpg (28 KB, 777x131) Image search: [Google]
4tb ssd.jpg
28 KB, 777x131
>>51978040
so in 5 years?
>>
>>51978160
Yeah, probably
>>
>>51978147
Don't scare us!
>>
>>51978147
You do realize that "The Cloud" isn't some mystical storage space where your gay furry images are floating around in space, right? It's stored on another system somewhere, likely on HDDs.
>>
HDD are going for less than $40 per TB. What is the cheapest 1TB SDD?
>>
>>51978160
the fuck does 11.072,60* even fucking mean? holy shit how retarded.
>>
>>51978265
It means x60, best get saving.
>>
when ssds stop wearing out
>>
>>51978287
modern ssds last longer than modern hdds. if you weren't so poor, you'd know that.
>>
We still use tapes, hdd aren't going anywhere.
>>
>>51978160
When that happens, I'll be here, ready.
>>
>>51978371
Tapes are good at holding data for long periods of time, they don't fail because of a speck of dust.
>>
>>51978398
SSD can't hold data for years without being connected to energy. HDDs can.
>>
>>51978317
No they don't.

I have hard drives from the 80s that work flawlessly or with a few bad sectors. An ssd is nevergoing to last three and a half decades.
>>
>>51978265
It means there is volume discounts.
>>
>>51978506
Didn't claim SSDs could. They aren't designed for it. I was just explaining why tapes are still around to that nice Anon.

HDDs will most likely linger as cheap storage for the middle ground, where you have lots of data that isn't read sequentially (so tapes won't work effectively) but you don't need the data on the spot (so you don't need the speed of an SSD).
>>
>>51978160
Why the hell are the commas and periods around the wrong way?
>>
>obsolete
Hard drives are still objectively the best option for certain applications. When SSDs beat their cost per GB, only then will they be obsolete. If you don't need your storage to be fast, to go with any other technology is to throw money away.
>>
>>51978537
I have a 16 year old 40GB laptop HDD still in action. don't remember the brand since it's still in the laptop though.
>>
>>51978603
because i like it that way. it's a custom userscript
>>
>>51977321
Never, because SSDs lose data when stored.
>>
File: Capture.png (5 KB, 519x94) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
5 KB, 519x94
never
>>
>>51978206
Most people think cloud is something like what you described. A girl once asked me that isn't the internet just something that floats around somewhere. There are a lot of people who have almost no understanding of how technology works.
>>
When a SSD fries or gets corrupted all the data is gone, when an HDD fries or gets corrupted, they send it to professional recovery services with clean rooms and shit.

Hence enterprise storage still use HDDs and TAPEs
>>
When SSDs don't destroy all your data if they suffer power loss
>>
File: poweron.png (246 KB, 638x622) Image search: [Google]
poweron.png
246 KB, 638x622
>>51978637
are you even trying?
>>
>>51977321
>When muh ramdisks
>>
The same time tech company's stop selling floppy drives.
>>
>>51978265
bud, that's 11,072.60 in euros. and the * at the end is probably an indication that there is a modifier to the end price.

That form of numeric notation is common around the world. Where are your from? Bumfuck nowhere?
>>
I predict that soon most computers won't make a physical distinction between RAM and storage. It will be a big glob of useable space for either.
>>
>>51980201
This would read as €11 and €.072 in NA dude that French notation for money is retarded.
>>
>>51978537
Clearly those HDDs weren't used very much. An SSD used the same would easily outlast the HDD.
>>
>>51979520
They don't, unless they're unpowered for long periods of time, which they never will be.
>>
>>51980345
is not that bad

RAMdisk speed
Finally we move on from the Von Neumann architetture
RAM big as the storage space
No SWAP
>>
>>51981095
Unexpected power loss can easily corrupt all your data with an SSD
>>
If Intel's 3DXP becomes an affordable option, this question probably wouldn't matter
>>
>>51978160
except
>you can't boot to any of these two ssds
>they're actually two separate ssds on a single module
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.