[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What makes Chrome so much faster than other browsers?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 4
What makes Chrome so much faster than other browsers?
>>
>>51975813
It's not
>>
>>51975825
Lol ok
>>
>>51975813
v8 and modern web technologies

also botnet
>>
Chrome is only good on Chromebooks.

Anything other than ChromeOS's version is bloated ram eating bullshit.
>>
>>51975871

I hope I was never this stupid.
>>
>not using slimjet
What a good goy you are
>>
it just has a better dev team, that's all.
>>
Well Google kind of monopolizes some features in a way

For example html5 60fps was a pretty big deal to me
I switched to chrome until ff updated to have support

If Google owns YouTube, they can get their browser ready first and then confound normies with 'your browser is out of date' 'unsupported' messages.

Normies now switch to chrome
>>
>>51975871
Linux is better on Chromebooks tho
>>
>>51976053
>normies
>using anything but Goole and Microsoft shilled bullshit

Sure thing kid.
>>
>>51975971
Slimjet Web Browser Affiliate Program

If you have a busy website with a lot of visitors who might be interested in our Slimjet web browser, we can pay up to $0.5 per installation of Slimjet depending on the location of the users. If you want to learn more details about it, please contact us directly.

>nice try, adware.
>>
>>51976077
linux is just a kernel :^)
>>
OTTER BROWSER
T
T
E
R

B
R
O
W
S
E
R
>>
it is botnet and it is not fast use firefox
>>
>>51975813
It's really not fast.

I switched back to Firefox about 6 months ago since chrome had an unusually high load on both CPU and GPU when watching YouTube videos and was consuming RAM like shit
>>
Whether it is fast or not seems to depend on the user, for whatever reason. I don't think I have ever seen such inconsistency among modern computers more than in browsers. Fresh installs can help sometimes. My Chrome used to be slow as fuck with constant mini-freezes but with faster video playback. Now, it still has the faster video playback and the mini-freezes seem gone for whatever reason, but I still hate using it anyway. I am still on FF39 (avoiding new age cuckening of FF), but eventually it will get slow and stop being compatible, RIP good browsers.
>>
>>51976170
What's good about Otter compared to Chrome? I'm a massive faggot and know nothing of the base shit, I just want to know if it's any more streamlined that Chrome.

(Also does it support flash)
>>
>>51975813
It's not
>>
v8 is bretty gud, I was reading the other day that they improved it recently in the version 46.

The fact that can be preloaded when the computer starts, makes it load almost instantly.

Some features that other browsers doesn't have right now, like native tab suspension and panels.

It has its own version of Opera Turbo. It doesn't compress that much but it doesn't break the webpages either.
>>
>>51975813
Marketing
>>
What looks like Firefox but isn't Firefox because I'm sick and fucking tired of Firefox's bullshir.
>>
>>51975813
Edge is much faster
>>
marketing
>>
>>51975813

It's not.

It's only fast in synthetic benchmarks.

Try loading it up on some old machine and then compare to IE or Opera. It's slow and bloated as fuck, on single core Atom it can't even load gmail correctly, good luck scrolling through big webpage or playing video.
>>
nightly and edge are faster
>>
>>51977219
this
>>
>>51975813
it's spyware with only minimal browser features
>>
>>51977858
Fastest browser with my Sempron CPU
>>
>>51975813
eats your ram.
>>
>>51978074
That's a good thing you dumb fuck
>>
>he uses the internet

Yeah enjoy your botnet retards
>>
it loads pages in advance before you hit enter
>>
>>51977991
/thread
>>
>>51975813
Its not, but that chrome provides over Firefox is its superior sandboxing making it the most secure browser on the market. The trade off being the higher ram usage and tons of processes but its worth the trade off.
>>
>>51975813
It's not only much faster, but also far ahead of other browsers:
https://html5test.com/results/desktop.html
>>
>retards trying to imply that slowfox is even remotely as fast as chrome

lovin every laff
>>
>>51978337
You are right, goy, you are right. Chrome is the best.
>>
>>51978250
And with e10s comming, it will soon have almost the same memory usage ... And of course it has much higher CPU usage when playing YT videos.

Removing old addons API will destroy any customization Firefox even have and new extensions are gonna be as powerful as Chrome's.

And Firefox for Android is nice only if you look at features. It's slow as fuck - laggy and delayed scrolling, blurry text when scrolling and fuck those fucking loading times. Chrome loads web pages at least twice as fast as FF.

Only good thing is that you can use uBlock on Android, but then, it slows loading times even more and you should use it only on rootless devices, as adaway is much better.
>>
File: Chrome_RAM_HD_Render.png (162 KB, 1920x697) Image search: [Google]
Chrome_RAM_HD_Render.png
162 KB, 1920x697
It uses more RAM and each tab gets its own amount of RAM and works in a sandbox (ie doesn't fuck with other tabs).
>>
File: 1437433396536.jpg (94 KB, 468x481) Image search: [Google]
1437433396536.jpg
94 KB, 468x481
Daily reminder that firecuck can't play youtube's VP9 streams.
>>
Vivaldi is the best
>>
>>51975813
There are 2 kinds of proprietary software: those that are programmed by complete jerkoffs, and those that are programmed by actually skilled programmers.

Chrome is one of the latter. Google makes good software in general.

>inb4 le proprietary meme
fuck off stallman
>>
Essentially with many applications you can trade off memory usage for efficient run and response times. Chrome does this to quite an extreme and consumes a hell of a lot more ram than other browsers.

There are faster less main stream alternatives out there which have already previously been mentioned.

Source: computer science degree
>>
File: 1429620983526.png (1 KB, 193x31) Image search: [Google]
1429620983526.png
1 KB, 193x31
still hate this
>>
>>51975813
I use safari because botnet and browsing history I like to keep private but it's because chrome loads pages instantly and doesn't wait until the whole page is loaded unlike all other browsers.
>>
What is the benefit of using Chromium over Chrome for the user? (Aside from Chromium being open source etc)
>>
>>51976077
ChromeOS is actually based on Gentoo so it is also a Linux distibution
>>
I'm desperately in need of a new Browser. I'm running 64-bit FF 43.0 and the performance is terrible. What options are out there that aren't running an older fork or running Chrome-based telelmetry/browsers?

I remember there being tons of browsers out there, what happened to them all?
>>
>>51980820
On Windows, convenience. On GNU/Linux not a single reason.
>>
>>51976149

Linux is an OS.
>>
>>51975813
Actual, non-ironic, non-meme development. Something that was lacking in Firefox for years.
>>
>>51976149
>using the smiley with a carat nose
>>
>>51976652
Actually, Otter is still beta; however, it is rather light and aimed a power users. Once it becomes feature complete it will no doubt be the best browser.

>(Also does it support flash)
I have no idea about Flash because no sane person uses Flash in 2015.
>>
>>51977290
PALE MOON
A
L
E

M
O
O
N
>>
>>51981780
the kernel is just the core of the OS, it isn't an os by itself
>>
>>51982889
I have a problem: How can I watch xvideos videos without flash?
>>
>>51977290
>>51976641

Faggot who hasnt been keeping up with this stuff here, what's wrong with Firefox these days?
>>
>>51983020
mpv + youtube-dl

You're welcome.
>>
>>51975813
> Chrome
> browser
/0
>>
>>51975813
WHAT ABOUT

>C H R O M I U M
>C
>H
>R
>O
>M
>I
>U
>M
>>
>>51983306
look into SJWFox, it is a very subjective topic. Nothing inherently wrong with "firefox", more with its management. Probably still the best option out there. Chromium is still a botnet and many of the others suggested here are prototypes or in beta... Shouldn't be trusted if you care for your privacy and not for your memes. Everyday a new browser pops up and most of them never really get developed to a stable version, but some /g/ users think some of those browsers are hot shit. They may be, but it is just stupid to argue in their favor against every other browser when they are so early in development.
>>
Because google pre-fetches based on a non-public patent that enables them to show you what they already knew you would select.
>>
Good question. I still stick with Firefox because of its extension, but those extensions bog it down and cause Chrome to be considerably faster.

Loading webpages and new tabs feels great in Chrome. Oh well.
>>
>>51978337
Does "lel" really stand for "loving every laugh" or do people pretend it does for keks?
>>
>>51978278
>https://html5test.com/results/desktop.html
Is opera any good or is it a botnet like all the rest?
>>
>>51982920

Linus Torvalds disagrees, and has started unequivocally that Linux is an operating system.

See: His rebuttal to Stallman over the 'GNU plus Linux' nonsense.
>>
>>51983418
>ook into SJWFox, it is a very subjective topic. Nothing inherently wrong with "firefox", more with its management.
What? They were catching all kinds of shit for being "homophobic"

This criticism is nonsensical.
>>
V8 and Blink
>>
It's made by the giant that is redefining the web experience; stop being an idiot and embrace it.
>>
>>51983581
autism.png.exe
>>
>>51983589
>They were catching all kinds of shit for being "homophobic"

didn't they fire the CEO for not liking gay marriage?
>>
It's not fast. It has a good JS engine, but it has very high CPU and RAM usage.
>>
>>51983729
>very high CPU usage
RAM I can understand but what kind of toaster are you using?
>>
>>51982920
Ι'd јust like tο interјect fοr a mοment. What yοu're referring tο as GNU/Linux, is in fact, Linux, or as I've just now taken to calling it, Just Linux. Linux apparently does happen to be a whole operating system unto itself and comprises a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Most computer users who run the entire Linux system every day already realize it. Through a peculiar turn of events, I was misled into calling the system "GNU/Linux", and until now, I was unaware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by the Linux project.

There really isn't a GNU/Linux, and I really wasn't using it; it is an extraneous misrepresentation of the system that's being used. Linux is the operating system: the entire system made useful by its included corelibs, shell utilities, and other vital system components. The kernel is already an integral part of the Linux operating system, never confined useless by itself; it functions coherently within the context of the complete Linux operating system. Linux is never used in combination with GNU accessories: the whole system is basically Linux without any GNU added, or Just.Linux. All the so-called "GNU/Linux" distributions are really distributions of Linux.
>>
The constant shilling.
>>
>>51983705
I don't know, I was genuinely asking because I remember that controversy and I figured the fact that a bunch of SJW were slandering firefox, then it's worthy of my loyalty.
>>
>>51983885

Nah man, CEO of Mozilla refused to donate to a pro-gay organization or some shit a few years ago, and they fired him for that somewhat recently
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.