[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/fug/ - Friendly Unix General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 25
File: Bannière-Unix-linux.jpg (198 KB, 960x370) Image search: [Google]
Bannière-Unix-linux.jpg
198 KB, 960x370
This general is meant to replace /flt/ and the occasional BSD general threads, and everything UNIX-related.
GNU with Linux added bois come here

I'll just copy the last /flt/ because lazy

Intended for users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are three ways to try GNU with Linux added, you can:

1) Install a GNU with Linux added OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
2) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full GNU with Linux added experience".
3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with GNU with Linux added (very recommended, for your freedom)

If you are serious about switching to GNU with Linux added and if you have Windows dual-booted (recommended for pure shitheads),
we recommend you use it exclusively for 2 weeks, and avoid Windows dual booting for that period of time, or it's
likely you will start retreating back to windows instead of getting used to GNU with Linux added as your new home and working on
making it feel the way you want it.

>Recommended for beginners:
-SourceMage (http://beta.sourcemage.ru)
-Trisquel [Recommended]
-Suicide GNU with Linux added

Before asking, please find the answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU with Linux added Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe wine can make up for it.

Resources:
man <insert command here>
your friendly neighborhood search engine
>>>/g/sqt
http://imswinging.com
http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Main_Page
http://wiki.installgentoo.com/
>>
>>51975601
What is GNU with Linux added
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux

Babby's First GNU plus Linux (What GNU with Linux added distro to choose?)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

What software does /g/ recommend? (Please DON'T include the so called infographic -- refer all your recommended software here.)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_GNU/Linux_software

Ricing on GNU with Linux added (Make it good and functional or make it worse like those at desktop threads)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux_ricing

We now have an entry in the install Gentoo wiki!
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php//flt/
>>
>>51975389
>>51975456
>>51975467
Anyone know?
>>
holy shit this isnt fucking reddit no one is going to give you props tomorrow at your high school lunch because you started an epic new general on /g/ XD

fuck off kid, you fucking faggots are getting desperate on how to make new recurring garbage threads
>>
>>51975656
can you direct this rage at the consumertard show-and-tell threads (AKA the actual cancer killling /g/) instead?

kill yourself
>>
>>51975652
You need to re-start Xorg to switch GPUs. 100% sore of this one.
>>
>>51975656
Make a new thread please anon.
>>
>>51975669
savage
>>
Anyone heard about Calculate Linux? Seems kind of cool
>>
>>51975679
Yeah I know, I'm hoping that was no longer the case or would not be the case in the near future so I can do this, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37D2bRsthfI
Without the down sides.
>>
>>51975694
Basically Gentoo with pre-compiled poop and a working DE. It's just like Fedora or Debian or Antergos but with Portage and Gentoo utils instead.

It's great, considering you can just recompile your entire system at a later date.
>>
File: download.jpg (10 KB, 299x169) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
10 KB, 299x169
>>51975601
>/fug/
FUGGGGGGG :-DDDDDDDDD
>>
File: 1449697679807.jpg (187 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1449697679807.jpg
187 KB, 1920x1080
>>51975716
Thanks, I'll try it in a VM first and see how it goes
>>
>>51975553
Anyone?
>>
>>51975540
Friends?
>>
>having to use AUR and do manual installs
doesn't this kill half the point of having a package manager?
>>
>>51975822
yaourt
>>
File: Captura de Tela (23).png (16 KB, 229x163) Image search: [Google]
Captura de Tela (23).png
16 KB, 229x163
Is there a way I can install GNU but still uses Windows kernel? Even it's evaluation?

>>51973189
>>
>>51975743
this
who the fuck thought that fug would be a good acronym...

also
>linux
>unix
no
>>
>>51975601
STOP MAKING GENERALS
T
O
P

M
A
K
I
N
G

G
E
N
E
R
A
L
S
>>
>>51975832
>Yaourt (Yet AnOther User Repository Tool) is a wrapper for pacman which adds automated access to the AUR using the same syntax as pacman.
well that would solve it
>>
>>51975844
I HAVE TO KEEP UP WITH FRANCE

H
A
V
E

T
O

K
E
E
P

U
P

W
I
T
H

F
R
A
N
C
E
>>
>>51975844
he basically dissolved 2 generals and made them into one, go direct your stupidity somewhere else autismus maximus
>>
>>51975853
If you wanna make it almost identically easy to pacman add this to .yaourtrc

BUILD_NOCONFIRM=1
EDITFILES=0

Most users just mash Y anyway. Note that you are responsible for any AUR packages that fuck your system that you didn't personally inspect. But if you only use big/trustworthy ones it shouldn't be a problem.
>>
File: fug.png (82 KB, 255x207) Image search: [Google]
fug.png
82 KB, 255x207
>>51975837
the only downside I can see to rolling both unix and linux into one thread is that it might attract some OS X shitposting
>>
>>51975753
if you can't do that, why are you even trying?
anyway, are you running it directly in your hardware? try using VMs instead, at least until you understand the problem....

>>51975791
>Which is the best browser
>Arch

>>51975835
>Is there a way I can install GNU but still uses Windows kernel? Even it's evaluation?
lol wat, what the hell are you trying to do...
you can install gnu on windows, but I suspect it's not what you'd expect, at all.
>>
>>51975901
>...
? What are you saying friend?
>>
>>51975835
you're looking for either Cygwin (which is essentially a full posix compatibility layer that runs on windows) or mingw (which is a port of GCC and a few closely-related tools to native win32)

I haven't tried either on 10, but they work on 7. Cygwin can be a bit clunky and inelegant sometimes, though
>>
>>51975910
first, you are using arch. that's not a good thing.
second, you are asking about the best web browser, which is a matter of personal preference and holy wars. how about you install many browsers and use them all until you decide which one you like the most? it's not like there are many alternatives, really...
>>
>>51975958
>first, you are using arch. that's not a good thing.
Wrong but I'm not going to shitfling.
>second, you are asking about the best web browser
Maybe you can't read. I specifically said file browser.
>>
>>51975835
But the kernel is the worst part of Windows.
>>
almost thought i was in /vp/ for a second...

>>>/vp/fug
>>
>>51975968
>Wrong
sure...

>Maybe you can't read. I specifically said file browser.
you are right, I can't read at 4 am.
in that case... mostly the same applies, though. personal preference and holy wars.
>>
>>51975689
>>>/instagram/
>>
>>51976001
>in that case... mostly the same applies, though. personal preference and holy wars.
Fair enough, I was just hoping someone had a good argument for one being superior to the others. Thunar is pretty good though.
>>
>>51975892
>But if you only use big/trustworthy ones it shouldn't be a problem.
Yeah this is my plan, sure it'll bite me in the ass one day anyway
>>
>>51975901
Why not..?
I'm using a laptop underclocked to 50% due to a failing fan rn, its already pretty sluggish so I'm trying to avoid that if I can.
>>
Fairly new to Linux, looking to stop distro hopping and settle with one distro.

I've narrowed my choices down to Korora, Manjaro, or some flavor of Ubuntu.

So far my favorite Ubuntu flavor has been elementaryOS because of the sleek Pantheon DE. However looking for something new since it can get a little slow on my netbook. And some things I've been reading lead me to believe Ubuntu is not the ideal distro... (out of date packages, bloat etc)

I'm currently USB booting Manjaro with XFCE and the Plank appdock and it's quite nice. But Fedora seems like a really solid distro and may suit my needs more...

I like the idea of a mix between stable experience and up-to-date packages. I don't want to compile packages from source if I can avoid it but I will try to learn if it's really beneficial.

What should I go for? I plan to run this distro on netbook and desktop, Gnome3 DE on the desktop most likely, and XFCE or something lightweight on the netbook(have yet to try MATE or KDE5)
>>
>>51976150
>no bloat
>Gnome3
>>
>>51976202
>no bloat
>DM
>>
>>51975656
>epic
>XD
>fuck off kid
wow dude just wow
>>
File: 173.jpg (9 KB, 213x160) Image search: [Google]
173.jpg
9 KB, 213x160
Guis
>>
File: IMG_20151129_220759.jpg (2 MB, 4096x3072) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151129_220759.jpg
2 MB, 4096x3072
>>51975897
OS X is UNIX
My Macbook runs Linux too... Pretty seamless switch minus no Photoshop.

Haven't used Windows in years.
>>
>>51976150
go with Antergos, or Manjaro, or Arch.
>>
What is it archfags think people learn so much from an arch installation? Beyond basic partitioning I don't really see it
>>
>>51976008
Arch user here, thunar is p decent, I dont think there are better GTK alternatives.
>>
>>51976369
They don't think that. You people think that they think that. Being forced to install a DE etc though helps open the eyes of people who would have just used the default on something like Ubuntu.
>>
>>51976322
Do you like eating shit with your bare hands?
>>
>>51976333
>Antergos
dont do this

>>51976369
Because they're new and they want to feel cool or superior. Arch is one of the most easy and basic of CLI installations, even gentoo isnt all that different aside from the compile times.

>connect to internet
>format
>pacstrap
>fstab
>configure basic system settings, which is just one or two lines of text in a few files
>make a user
>install a bootloader, possibly another few lines of config
>done
>>
>>51976404
>They don't think that. You people think that they think that
oh fuck off people saying you have to do a 'real' installation at least once because you learn so much aren't exactly uncommon
>Being forced to install a DE etc though helps open the eyes of people who would have just used the default on something like Ubuntu
Hm, suppose you have a point there. Figured most who go to Linux would have fucked around with changing DE's even if in Ubuntu though? Maybe I'm wrong here
>>
>>51976422
>Figured most who go to Linux would have fucked around with changing DE's even if in Ubuntu though? Maybe I'm wrong here
Maybe but I would think that people choosing Ubuntu of all things really don't know better and would not.
>>
>>51975753
>>51975901
Okay, it appears I can boot gentoo in virtualbox just fine as long as EFI boot is unchecked. Which goes back to my other question though, can I still create an gpt+efi OS from a non-efi image?
>>
>>51976322
>black MacBook
oh yes
local CeX is selling one for £215 near me. I'd get it just for the looks, but I don't fancy having an ancient Core 2 Duo
>>
can I install cyanogenmod on a Galaxy s6?
>>
>>51976416
>done
At that point you don't even have a GUI, you're still far from done unless you want a headless system.
>>
>>51976475
Oh come on dude. From there it's *literally* as simple as typing pacman -S xorg xorg-xinit xbindkeys [your wm/de] [your text editor] [your terminal emulator] [your browser]

creating your xinitrc file and then you're in and ready to configure.
>>
Hello /fug/, i'm pretty new to networks and i'm trying to set up some kind of file sharing server between me and a friends computer. I want to do this via the internet but as securely as possible. I've looked at ssh and ftp servers before but i've also been looking at samba as an alternative, what do you guys think?
>>
>>51976494
Does xorg-server install as a dependency off one of those? Cos you need it.
>>
>>51976513
Should of said i'm on Linux (Arch based) and he is using the same.
Also if this could be as easy as using a VNC that'd be fucking awesome.
>>
>>51976535
Yes, lmao. Please don't tell me you actually think installing programs is a part of the arch linux installation 'experience', let alone a hard one. jesus christ
>>
>>51976494
The point is that you need to know what you need.
This may be trivial to experienced users, but it's not to beginners.
>>
>>51976556
Tbh I just installed xorg-server, xorg-xinit and i3 and I was done.

And I genuinely didn't know if it was a dependency.
>>
>>51976559
>implying you learn literally anything off of it

Dude, I can guarantee you the majority of new arch users that just installed have no fucking clue what they just typed, they just did it because that's what the guide said. There's nothing "complicated" about installing packages with pacman, anyone can understand how that works to an acceptable level, and xorg is as simple to get your head around as "Framework that allows windows, window manager that draws windows".

It's hardly at all a learning curve and you aren't cool for doing it.
>>
>>51976588
what you don't become a hacker when you type hacking commands in the hacking window, even wit hguide?
>>
>>51976588
>and xorg is as simple to get your head around as "Framework that allows windows, window manager that draws windows".
Again, you seem to assume that everyone knows this already.

I also never claimed it's complicated.
>>
>installing arch via architect
come at me, just want a rolling release with no bloat
>>
File: nicememe.gif (3 MB, 420x300) Image search: [Google]
nicememe.gif
3 MB, 420x300
>>51976444
black macbooks were beautiful. unfortunately horribly gimped by apple (no way to install latest OS X because 32bit EFI even though 64bit CPU)

this was free :)

also have the newest "black" macbook -- the space gray one.

>>51976410

> eating shit

nice meme. maybe you can head over to /b/ with that genius sense of humor.
>>
>>51976621
Exactly.

>Again, you seem to assume that everyone knows this already.
No, I assume everyone has access to a basic knowledge source like Google, Wikipedia and the Arch wiki, which all explain literally everything you need to know about Arch.

>I also never claimed it's complicated.
Then why are you going on about how Arch is so hard for beginners? Because it really isn't unless you're a special kind of stupid. Arch is a very basic bitch OS. Almost every common OS out there is.
>>
>>51976645
meant to also quote >>51976622
>>
>>51976444

PS the core 2 is fine for shitposting/email stuff. especially with linux. I'm running xubuntu on a SSD with 6gb ram (4+2 sticks I had laying around). it's just fine for free.
>>
>>51976645
There are more than 2 people in this thread.
>>
>>51976645
>No, I assume everyone has access to a basic knowledge source like Google, Wikipedia and the Arch wiki
fucking this, sure it's "intimidating" for beginners if they assume you have to have some intricate knowledge to get through the installation process but if they actually took time to look at the guides they'd realize pressing "next" is replaced by typing in a command, don't even need to spend fuckall time learning why you typed in that command if you don't want to
>>
>>51976678
It was a misquote.
>>
>>51976692
That wasn't about the quote, it was about the who claims what part
>>
>>51975791

Thunar, or ranger if you want to use it from your console.
>>
>>51976744
Thanks senpai, Thunar does seem good.
>>
>>51976441
Shameless bump.
If anyone has any idea why hardware wasn't working, I'd be curious too.
>>
>>51977095
remember by heart, ultimately not that many you need
>>
Okay this is UNIX general, yeah?
So I installed BSD, ran ifconfig and saw the usual ath0 driver of the atheros wireless chipset.
The DHCP client didn't work even though I could scan the networks and run wpa_supplicant on it. Then I followed some guides that mapped a wlan0 to ath0, and even put it to connect at boot. it pretty much used wpa_supplicant. But still no DHCP. I tried manually and no DHCP. my driver has allegedly (wpa supplicant says so) authenticated, but if I ping my router (at 192.168.x.x) there is no route.
What could possibly be the reason here?
>>
>>51977123
You have a dhcp-server in your network?
>>
>>51977123
>So I installed BSD
That's not very specific
>>
>>51976150
Manjaro doesn't demand that you even know about the internals of your system. It comes with up to date packages, and the solidity is up to you. Bigger (read more bloated) distros just "seem" more solid because of their role as big enterprice linuces, like RedHat. Linux is pretty much a collection of tools (kernel, init system, services, gnu utilities, and everything userspace) and you build it as if it were legos. Most distributions require you compile nothing, only gentoo forces you to do that afaik (and LFS).
The only reason I don't use manjaro is systemd. If you don't care about that shit, then don't let it matter
>>
>>51977149
I've always used the old wpa_supplicant blah blah and dhclient wlp2s0 on every linux I've used, and it always worked.
>>51977152
FreeBSD, the latest, with the automated install, in an Acer whadoyacallit netbook which I've always managed to get everything working when compiling a linux libre kernel (that is, without proprietary drivers and modules).
>>
trying to send tx ~250k packets/sec ~300k packets/sec in the most efficient way.

right now most my time is spent in system CPU implying high overhead for syscall/interrupts.

what kernel/os should I be looking to use?
>>
>>51977235
>arch vs gentoo
Actually: build your own system vs build your own system: hard mode
>>
>>51977243
more like build your own system: staring at make -j2 output edition
>>
is :edit the only way to edit files during arch installation? this shit is awful
>>
>>51977277
nigga I sleep when I compile shit, and pray that it compiles ok
>>
>>51977338
What files do you need to edit?
>>
>>51977355
locale.gen, thinking of just doing it post installation instead
>>
>>51977338
Use nano senpai.
>>
>>51977434
fucking kek just realized even vim is installed, thanks anon for whatever reason i just presumed I had to use edit
>>
File: 1420880242324.jpg (117 KB, 743x800) Image search: [Google]
1420880242324.jpg
117 KB, 743x800
>tfw Gentoo with -march=native and -j8 on an FX-8350 and a server-grade SSD
That install was stupid fucking fast, but I ended up breaking it by ricing too hard. Now it's very nearly as fast with Debian Jessie, and a lot more stable.
>>
>going through arch installation made me realize how much better us keyboard is compared to swe
jesus christ shit is conveniently placed for coding
>>
wtf is EFI in a sentence?
>>
>>51977574
Replacement for legacy BIOS.
>>
>>51977586
thanks
>>
>>51977540
Check out the ADM-3a's keyboard layout some time.
>home and ~ are the same key
>hjkl are the arrow keys
>escape and control are very conveniently placed
That keymap informed a lot of design decisions in early unix, including the equivalency of ~ and $HOME, and the vi keybindings.
>>
>>51977235
all me
>>
>>51976645
The Arch install itself for a novice like me was really easy and done in under half an hour I think, but still thought I got some basics out of it, like the terminal basics of mkdir, cp, ls and basic stuff.
The configuration afterwards was more challenging. Using services at startup for my DHCP and ALSA being a shit.
For some reason my audio with alsa is incredibly low, even with everything at max I have trouble hearing it and using OSS seems like a shitty workaround.
Some yaourt install were also not compiling, because you need append perl to path.
Trying to rice I always run into problems, because my setup differs from others so I had to do some basic adaptions to configs.

I know that this is all just a matter of googling, but it had me invested, because I do want to know why I type which command. I want to learn about Unix and programming and I think Arch isn't too bad for a noob like me, with it's excellent documentation and huge repository.
>>
>>51977636
>hjkl are the arrow keys
I dislike this as Im so used to hjkl now, but sounds interestng otherwise. Swedish is full retard
>Swe output
US equiv keypresses

>~
Ctrl Alt ]
>/
Shift 7
>\
Ctrl Alt -
>{
Ctrl Alt 7

It's not THAT bad with thumb on Alt Gr but man it ain't ideal
>>
>>51977718
>because I do want to know why I type which command.
>I want to learn more about unix
perferct distro for you.jpg
>>
All right so I've basically got the Arch install down in virtualbox, is getting wifi up and running typically troublesome? I really don't want to sit and google on my phone
>>
>>51978039
wifi-menu or netctl-auto or networkmanager

I installed networkmanager after using wifi-menu and it seems to use those credentials automatically though which is nice.
>>
>>51978053
All right cool, it's the one detail I can't really test in virtualbox. Also
>pacstrap
>vim disappears
>nano still about
wut
>>
>/fug/ly
>>
>>51978073
Can't help you there but during the install why not just use nano, you're out of there in 20 minutes anyway who cares.
>>
>>51978086
yeah already doing that, just found it curious
>>
when i try to move the main panels in mate the programs start to go through them. i mean when i move it to the top the close and minimise buttons actually go behind it and the buttons cannot be pressed. is there some kind of addon to the panel that im missing to stop this from happening?
>>
File: 2015-12-21_10-42-41.png (24 KB, 431x406) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-21_10-42-41.png
24 KB, 431x406
So keyboard input isn't entered properly in my Gnome terminal, input methods none, system(simple), and X don't let me input characters with CTRL-ALT or ALT GR, while multipress doesn't work with CTRL-C and other CTRL+key combinations, but works for entering characters with ALT GR and CTRL-ALT.

running debian 3.2.60
>>
>>51977718
>OSS seems like a shitty workaround
its not. it lacked some features in the past, but nowadays, I can't name a single reason why one would use it over ALSA. Less latency, more dev-friendly code, plenty of anecdotal reports of just better sound in general. If I still had my archbox, OSS+JACK master race.

>Some yaourt installs were also not compiling, because you need to append perl
If you're truly invested in learning to into Linux, you absolutely need to be reading those make files before compiling. Spamming Y doesn't teach you anything and leaves you at the mercy of the developer.
>>
Reposting from the last thread ; - ;

Hi folks; I've been meaning to install Gentoo for some time now, but can't even get its image to boot. I don't have a spare CD lying around at the moment, so I used a flash drive, as described -> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/LiveUSB/Guide. I downloaded both images from the website, and thoroughly checked their checksums.

>Tried to write the image with UEFI in Rufus, but it claimed the image didn't support it.*
>Tried using MBR through Rufus, Unetbootin, Universal USB, and dd
>Tried booting in BIOS and (other than dd, which wasn't recognized) UEFI-CSM
>Tried crying myself to sleep
>Tried various boot options
>Tried checking the drive's integrity

Yet every single boot, I get, in brief

!! Media not found
**No bootable medium found. Waiting for new devices...
>>Looking for the cdrom
>>Attempting to mount media (~20 of these)
!! Could not find CD to boot, something else needed!
>>Determining root device...
!! Could not find root device in .
root block device ( ) :: _

...and my keystrokes don't register.

Another anon suggested trying the LiveCD, and I did, but it froze at "Loading init"
Another anon from gentoo's IRC suggested this was a known limitation with USB3.0, but I tried 2.0 on a 2.0 port and got same problem.

*On a side-note, I was under the impression that the install iso had to support EFI in order for the resulting system to be able to boot from it. Is this true?
>>
>>51978269
disregard the side-note question, I figured out a workaround.
>>
>no need for swap partition as swapfiles are about as good and can be made in the root partition
>essentially don't need any partitioning beyond root and /home
got this right?
>>
>>51978512
I don't even have any swap at all.
>>
File: Installing Arch.2015.png (2 MB, 3060x8910) Image search: [Google]
Installing Arch.2015.png
2 MB, 3060x8910
Which AUR helper should I recommend, /g/?
I use packer atm
>>
>/fug/
I'm 'avin a giggle

also this is a nice and neutral name
>>
>>51978512
100% right, or at least I 100% agree with that and have been telling people that
>>
>installed and set up very basic arch
>decide it's not for me go go to *buntu
oh well
>>
Gnu is Not UNIX
Linux Is Not UNIX
>>
anybody using archlinux with intel graphics have issues with mpv + twitch pausing video? Have to use ubuntu instead
>>
File: 124312341.jpg (68 KB, 719x402) Image search: [Google]
124312341.jpg
68 KB, 719x402
Want distro do you guys recommend for someone who knows his way around *buntu but is fucking clueless about installations from scratch like arch or gentoo
>>
>>51980108
arch is not hard in any way as long as you follow the wiki
>>
>>51980108
debian testing or unstable
>>
How do i find out how many and which non-free packages i have installed on debian?
>>
Is their an equivalent of fuduntu that's still updated?
>>
do any of you use dmd instead of systemd or sysvinit? is it any good? should i try GuixSD?
>>
>>51980254Why not stable ?
>>
>>51980618

Stables packages are outdated a lot of the time
>>
>>51980618
you can run stable but testing is stable enough and has newer packages. it's a matter of preference but if you come from ubuntu you might think debian stables packages are a bit old.
>>
>>51980645
>>51980643
>>51980254
Alright thanks a lot im gonna try Debian testing
>>
File: Capture.png (39 KB, 343x1013) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
39 KB, 343x1013
>>51977235
how did you guess I was behind all those posts ?
>>
>>51980108
>>51980729
Architect is also a good choice. Slightly simpler installer for Arch.
>>
I'm a little bit of a freebsd noob. Can someone show me how to get rtorrent-ps (RtorrentExtended) up and running on a freebsd install? I've only ever used pkg install, I assume I'd have to build rtorrent-ps from scratch but I have no idea where to start. There's debian and arch packages, but no documentation or anything for freeBSD. Any help would really be appreciated kind anons.
>>
What is the best internet browser to use on Linux? I have been using Chrome and continued using it also on Linux. Is using Chromium or Firefox a better experience?
>>
>>51980884
Iceweasel aurora is my favorite one. especially with "open with" for opening stuff with mpv.
>>
>keep fucking up arch installations a
>feel like an idiot who can't read a wiki right
>eventually stumble upon "yeah btw virtualbox fucks with UEFI/GPT installs"
lel for fuck sake
>>
>>51980884
Chrome is the best if you need HTML5's DRM support. Netflix, Amazon Video, and the like require DRM support in the browser, and Chrome is the only Linux browser that has it. If you don't need that, then you should use an open source browser instead. Firefox vs Chromium comes down to personal preference. Either way, you should try to live without Flash. Pretty much everything that matters has switched to HTML5 anyway.
>>
>>51981002
>Chrome is the best if you need a browser that loads anything not from 90s
>>
>>51981002
Can chromium sync the same way with my Android? Also I like how Chrome restores all my extensions and settings on a new system is it also possible on Chromium?
>>
>>51980884
>>51981002
I didn't really express that last thought clearly enough. Chrome is also the best if you need Flash, since Adobe Flash for Linux sucks, but you should really try not to need Flash.

So, Chrome if you need flash (you don't) or if you need to stream movies. Otherwise, stick with a free software license and take your pick.

>>51981030
Chromium and Firefox both support HTML5 video, as long as the source doesn't require DRM, and only movie streaming services commonly require DRM. A lot of people don't use or need Netflix.
>>
>>51981041
I haven't used it in a while, but I'm fairly certain that Chromium has the same Google services integration that Chrome does. You should be able to sync things with your account.
>>
>>51981078
>>51981102
Thanks senpai I'll give it a try and stick to it if there are no huge dealbreakers since I also despise flash
>>
>Failed to compile the "bzImage" Target...

What do I do? Fucking Gentoo Kernel compilation errors.

>inb4 install gentoo
>>
>>51981041
It does, if I remember correctly. Chromium should pull all of your stuff from Google's botnet and sync like it would with Chrome.
>>
>>51981171
This has never happened to me. Isn't there a more useful error message than that somewhere?
>>
>>51981193
I might actually give Firefox another go since I used to love it a lot. I hope it caught up to Chrome/Chromium in terms of speed and responsiveness.
>>
>>51981233
iceweasel aurora is literally the most responsive and fast browser i have used so far.
>>
>>51981252
Hope this is not a meme like /g/entoo
>>
What do I need to do to enable two-finger scrolling that doesn't emulate the scrollwheel clicks? I've looked around but all I find are elitists who don't think this should be turned on.

Or, at least, something that doesn't make it scroll 3 lines at a time but just 1 for the touchpad.
>>
>>51981217
Sort of. Bunch of parse_vsdo undefined references to '_stack_chk_fail', collect2 error: id returned 1 exit status, scripts/makefile.host:100 recuoe fir target 'documentation/vDSO/vdso_standalone_test_x8g' failed.

There's a bunch of lines , but make: *** vmlinux error 2 is another one.

Am I fucked?
>>
>>51981265
it's firefox dev with some tweaks and no copyrighted icons. it's great.
>>
>>51981287
Ok senpai I trust you will check now
>>
>>51980779
install gentoo
>>
>>51981282
Copy everything below where it starts to go wonky into a pastebin for us.

If you don't get your answer here, try the Gentoo forums.
>>
>>51981324
He'd probably get a faster response from the IRC.

Have a feeling they fucked something up with gentoo-sources.
>>
>>51981343
I mean, I was following the handbook religiously, I don't see where it went wrong, so I hope maybe it does end up being something wrong with the sources so I don't need to fix anything.
>>
>>51981383
That's very unlikely
>>
>>51981383
You may want to try to emerge either an earlier version or an unstable version.

Don't remember how, haven't used Gentoo in a while, PROBABLY has to do with package.mask.
>>
Did the help section get removed from ncmpcpp? When I press 1 there's no help tab. I'm using 0.7 version. It looks different to screenshots as well.
>>
>>51981434
Oh, probably because I was trying to install hardened gentoo. Would that make a difference if my eselect profile was set correctly?

What would I need to do to install hardened gentoo?
>>
>>51981721
Again, haven't used it in a while but you'll probably want a hardened profile, any will do depending on what you want to do.

Then, hardened-sources.
>>
>>51981739
Keep in mind that if you DO switch profiles, you're gonna have to update so it fetches all the appropriate packages and recompiles them with the new USE flags.
>>
>>51981269
Doesn't this work?
$ synclient VertTwoFingerScroll=1

In anycase
http://www.x.org/archive/X11R7.5/doc/man/man4/synaptics.4.html
has all the config params for synaptics driver, some you can enter via "synclient" cmd, but for others use xorg.conf.
synclient -l
should also list everything you can set via cli.
To make changes permanent, either edit xorg.xonf or add synclient cmd's to startup scripts.
>>
File: read_bullshit.jpg (29 KB, 300x569) Image search: [Google]
read_bullshit.jpg
29 KB, 300x569
Fuck off retard. OS X is closer to UNIX than Linux.

I want my /flt/ back.
>>
>>51981833
this
>>51979810
>>
>>51981833
>>>/fit/
happy, now?
>>
>>51981858
My font rendering is not fucked up like yours.
>>
>>51981858
EBIN
B
I
N
>BIN
>>>/trash/
>>
>>51981888
>sources tell me that ebin meem was first originated on Reddit
fuck off with your reddit meme ,faggot
>>
>>51981918
ebin is from ylilauta.
>>
>>51981918
>ebin
state your sources. even cancer sites like http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/ebin are better than you.
>>
Can someone please explain to me why any sensible person would use fucking BSD anything?

What's it even compatible with? Who is the target user? It's all bullshit.
>>
>>51982002
servers
>>
>>51982002
> It's all bullshit.
BSD - Bull Shit Destro
>>
>>51982022
so why do dumb cunts on /g/ keep flaunting it on their desktops? bit pointless surely
>>
>>51982002
I saw an article once that was showing with data that FreeBSD outperformed ubuntu on games by a margin of up to 60%
>>
>>51982037
how does it even run games not built for it? I don't see many devs jumping at the chance to port their games to BSD platforms.
>>
>>51982037
probably ps3 games or something.
>>
>>51982058
>>51982090
Linux emulation layer in the kernel. Apparently BSD can run Linux binaries better than Linux can. I want to switch to OpenBSD because "muh security" but I'm too stupid to get the games working properly.
>>
>>51982107
I'd like to retract my previous hatred of BSD because that sounds pretty great ngl senpai
>>
File: 250px-Reckless02.jpg (14 KB, 250x188) Image search: [Google]
250px-Reckless02.jpg
14 KB, 250x188
>>51975743
>>
>>51976322

>buy a macbook
>use ubuntu

Disgusting
>>
>>51981833
>>51981842
Unix-like. Linux is only "not Unix" in that most distros can't be bothered to get certified. One of the six operating systems currently certified as UNIX compatible is Inspur K-UX, a Red Hat derivative by a Chinese IT company. Almost all distros aim for compliance, but have no reason to get themselves certified. The reason that they can't call themselves "Unix" is legal, not technical, and "Unix-like" is a perfectly fine way to describe a family of operating systems that includes Linux.

Personally I think OS-specific questions should be limited to Linux questions, but the answers to many questions are the same for all Unix-like systems, and people with those questions should know that they can bring them here.
>>
File: 7a5.gif (29 KB, 482x800) Image search: [Google]
7a5.gif
29 KB, 482x800
>/fug/
>>
>>51982002
Because BSD is fast, stable, and secure. I consider it a better OS than Linux.
>>
>>51982468
>better OS than Linux
>OS
>Linux
it's a kernel
>>
>>51982545
Better kernel.
>>
what do you guys think about Debian GNU/kFreeBSD? did anyone here ever use/test it?
>>
>>51982189
Here's the article if you're interested in it.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux_games_bsd

I mean, right now it only supports x86 binaries, but most important things run in x86 and rarely consume more than 4gb of RAM, so I can't say that's an important problem.

>>51982468
>>51982545
>>51982590
Because, technically, it is better. BSD had the capacity to be where Linux is today, but they were caught up in lawsuits over nomenclature instead of being productive and then Linux overtook them.
>>
>>51981786
It scrolls 3 lines at a time. Two finger scrolling just works, but it only emulates the mousewheel scroll events.
>>
>>51975601
I have a mac am i in the club?
>>
>>51977235
but i used the cli the wiki told me wat to do i felt smart
>>
File: kfreebsd talltop.png (122 KB, 1280x1760) Image search: [Google]
kfreebsd talltop.png
122 KB, 1280x1760
>>51982629
Used it, it's basically like using FreeBSD but with apt and all Debian's packages available to you. Sort of a dumbed down explanation but I can answer any specifics you have to the best of my ability.
>>
>>51982773
that's pretty cool. how bad is hardware support on it? how big is the main repo?
>>
>>51982714
Thanks. So what would be the best/easiest for a beginner to setup BSD release?
>>
>>51982811
I used it on an already-old laptop a few years ago. Wireless worked (Intel 2200bg)

Repos had everything I expected. Obviously stuff that won't compile as it relies on linux itself isn't there but iirc freebsd's linuxulator WAS available so in some weird ironic twist you could run linux binaries in it if you're a lunatic.
>>
>>51982714
That lawsuit set open source software back like a decade. BSD was already extremely mature like a decade before Linux was even conceived. That lawsuit made the devs flee the BSDs and they flocked to Linux and basically started everything over from scratch.
>>
Can I use my AMD mobility radeon hd5650 on trisquel?
>>
>>51975625
>seriously using the terms GNU/Linux or the even gayer GNU plus Linux

You lost all credibility
>>
>>51983024
>seriously calling it just Linux

You lost all credibility
>>
I want to move all directories that include a certain file-type to another directory
how would I do that in bash?
>>
>>51983113
or perl or python or something
>>
>>51983067
>not calling it GNU with Linux added
plebian uneducated newfag
>>
>UEFI/GPT examples
>In every instance, a special bootable EFI System Partition is required.
I'm getting confused, I need an EFI system partition even without a UEFI motherboard?
>>
>>51983067
By RMS's logic, anything created with GCC is *his* creation. So if you've written any programs with GCC, you're wrong in thinking they're your programs, they're RMS's programs. This is like the president of the Milwaukee tool company thinking he owns your house because the construction contractor used Milwaukee tools.

Wake up you FSF brainwashed plebians
>>
Is there any Linux distro without dbus?

In theory is it possible to uninstall dbus or change it for something less bloated/broken?
>>
Why is using the AUR often described as something so risky? In Windows terms I'm thinking you can install whatever the fuck and worst comes to worst it fucks something and you uninstall it, but with AUR people make it sound like you can install the wrong package and break the whole OS
>>
>>51983371
they're unstable community packages
>>
>>51983371
>Why is using the AUR often described as something so risky?
a PKGBUILD is, too a degree, just a script that tells your system how to build a package. Anyone can upload one of these scripts, and Arch users are so full of themselves that they don't actually read or understand the script. They just use some tool to fetch the PKGBUILD and let it run scripts and stuff on their system. Yes, the packages are built in a chroot but you don't have any idea what binary is going to be included in the end when the package is installed to your real filesystem unless you audit the PKGBUILD - which let's face it nobody does
>>
These might be of interest to someone.

xv6
https://pdos.csail.mit.edu/6.828/2014/xv6.html
Based on the original Version 6 UNIX source code but rewritten for x86 with multi-threading support thrown in. Designed to be short, simple, and readable the OS was made so all of the concepts behind it can be taught in a single semester(with the appropriate prior knowledge).

Ulix
http://ulixos.org/
This one is fairly new. It's a Unix-like OS with a similar concept to xv6 but apparently written from scratch.

Xinu
http://www.xinu.cs.purdue.edu/
Unix-y but not really in the Unix family tree. Xinu was written without assistance from Unix source code but has some similarities. Xinu has been used in real world devices like printers and motor drivers.
>>
>>51983380
that much I realized
>>51983433
How do you manage it then? Like what points to a "safe" package as opposed to an unstable one
>>
how do i enable the trackpoint middle button on a thinkpad to scroll in linux?
>>
>>51983594
>Like what points to a "safe" package
One prebuilt and signed by an Arch dev that you trust in your pacman keyring.

Grabbing PKGBUILDs from AUR is just risky unless you audit them (which is simple enough)

Honestly I don't think I've ever even heard of a purposefully malicious package in AUR though
>>
>>51983629
In the end, it will always come back to trust.
A popular package in the AUR might even have been audited more than an unpopular one in the official repos - who knows?
>>
>>51983324
Cite your sources. I don't think rms said that.
>>
>>51983113
>I want to move all directories that include a certain file-type to another directory
>how would I do that in bash?

find /path/to/source/dir/ -name \*.ext |xargs dirname |xargs mv -vt /path/to/dest/dir/

For example, to move all directories, containing files ending with .mp4, from a root directory tree /home/muhporno/ to a directory /home/dumpster/, execute:

find /home/muhporno/ -name \*.mp4 |xargs dirname |xargs mv -vt /home/dumpster/

That assumes you want to move direct parent directories. If a file in question is "/home/muhporno/gay_stash/new/riding_a_dick.mp4", mv will move ""/home/muhporno/gay_stash/new" to the new directory.

It's a dirty one liner, but it works. Personally, I really dislike xargs, so I would do something like this:

#!/bin/bash

find /path/to/source/dir/ -name \*.ext |
while read $fname; do
parent_dir=$(echo $fname | dirname)
mv -v $parent_dir /path/to/dest/dir/
done

You can modify it much easier.
>>
>>51983629
>>51983663
Fair enough, I'll just be a bit extra careful to look up comments and whatnot using the AUR then
>>
I have two PCs and a VM inside of one of them.

I want to be able to communicate with the VM using the PC that is not the host.

How do I do this?
>>
>>51983973
You know its IP?
Use that.
>>
>>51983332
Any, but things that depend on dbus will obviously be broken.
That would be most of modern desktop.. since dbus has become ubiquitous.
But nothing wrong with dbus, it's just a message bus/protocol with few other primitives, the issues usually are in the clients using it.
If some programs writes dirty bits in your files, you wouldn't accuse the filesystem?
If you say stupid shit, it's not the fault of the language.
You see where I'm going with this?
>>
>>51983973
You need a bridged connection. Most hypervisors default to NAT. You can use NAT but you have to forward ports to the VM
>>51984034 probably won't work for reasons I listed above
>>
>>51983684
I wanted to move all the folders with flac and mp3 files from ~/Downloads to ~/Music, but your one liner moved the whole Downloads folder to ~/Music and printed
mv: cannot move ‘.’ to ‘~/Music/.’: Device or resource busy
>>
>>51984034
It's in another subnetwork because it defaulted to NAT.

>>51984152
What if it's full of security holes?

Setting it to bridged wouldn't be dangerous?

My router is still there acting as a firewall, but I don't know how safe is that.
>>
>>51980779
We found the king shit poster of /g/ all the way from India!
>>
>>51984253
>What if it's full of security holes?
>
>Setting it to bridged wouldn't be dangerous?
If that's a concern, just forward the ports you need on your host machine
>>
I'm thought I'd try to answer >>51983332 by compiling a list of packages on my Gentoo system that have hard dependencies on dbus to see whether or not any of them are absolutely necessary. Unfortunately, I don't think I understand the ebuild syntax as well as I thought I did. When I run
equery depends dbus
I get a list of installed packages with dependency information in parenthesis. I thought that
(dbus ? sys-apps/dbus)
meant that the package depends on dbus if the dbus USE flag is enabled. However, some of the packages with dependency information for dbus in that format don't have a dbus USE flag. This is true, for example, of ghostscript. Additionally, according to
equery depends dbus
glib depends on dbus, but according to
equery hasuse dbus
glib has a "dbus" USE flag. What gives?
>>
>>51984312
>glib depends on dbus
Yes. I think it's just that dbus use flag has a different meaning for glib than for other packages, see:
$ equery u dev-libs/glib
+ + dbus : Enable dependencies required by glib libraries using dbus service to manage settings saving
$ equery u terminator
+ + dbus : Enable dbus support for anything that needs it (gpsd, gnomemeeting, etc)

As in, terminator's use flag enables/disable dbus for the package when glib's use flag works for its dependencies, but glib itself still requires it. As far as I understand anyway.
>>
>>51984200
Sounds like you had flac and/or mp3 files in your ~/Downloads dir.
I also made a mistake, but it shouldn't have caused what you described.

Anyways, this should do:
find ~/Downloads -mindepth 2 \( -name \*.mp3 -o -name \*.flac \) |xargs -L 1 dirname |sort -u |mv -vt ~/Music

Just to be sure, check this before executing:
find ~/Downloads -mindepth 2 \( -name \*.mp3 -o -name \*.flac \) |xargs -L 1 dirname |sort -u

It should print all the directories to be moved. The list shouldn't contain ~/Downloads.
>>
>>51983332
In explanation of >>51984312, Gentoo's package manager, Portage, allows you enable or disable features in packages by setting or unsetting keywords either on a per-package basis or globally. By setting "-dbus" globally, you could prevent many packages from using, and therefore depending on, dbus. However, it seems that it would be very difficult to have a graphical system without at least one or two packages that depend on dbus. If you want a CLI-only system it's no problem, otherwise you're probably stuck with it.
>>
>>51984535
guess the problem was spaces in a file name
still doesn't work cuz
mv: missing file operand

I'll read up on find and xargs
thanks anyway
>>
>>51985116
>guess the problem was spaces in a file name
Oh yeah, that could definitely be a problem, xargs hates spaces.
>>
>install I3
>default movement keys are jkl;
is this real life?
>>
UNIX is dead, deal with it
>>
Anyone got Steam to work on Arch? Because I read that Arch uses Ubuntu libraries and whatever else to run Steam. And Steam just won't launch.

How to fix this?
>>
File: tumblr_ns4jdtTEaw1uc9zo8o1_1280.png (473 KB, 998x1002) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ns4jdtTEaw1uc9zo8o1_1280.png
473 KB, 998x1002
>>51985786
Wow. You just crushed me. I have no response. Maybe I'll an hero?

FFS boy, go to >>>/b for a few weeks and learn how to troll, or just give up on it.
>>
>>51985929
idiot you can't even link correctly
>>>/b/
>>
>>51985827
You could go easy mode and install steam in wine... Latest greatest wine and steam works fine for me, other than I had to run through the installer / setup instages, and after I exit I have to kill the lingering wine processes before I can launch steam games again.
>>
>>51975835
Let me interject for a moment, but what you refer to as "windows" is actually NT/Windows, or as I've recently taken to call it, NT + Windows. You see, Windows by itself, although very important, is useless, lacking many features such as I/O manager, memory manager and other components that make a full operating system work therefore not a system unto itself, but rather a component of a full proprietary system as defined by Microsoft.

Millions of people today use a modified form of NT without knowing. There is a windows and these people are using it, but it's just part of the system they use
>>
>>51980541
If you're just looking for fedora: even easier, try chapeau/korora
>>
>>51985786
g-d's chosen operating system will never die senpai :^)
>>
>>51986008

I'm not looking for fedora, I'm looking for a distro geared towards notebooks/laptops like fuduntu was
>>
>>51985998
Doesn't make sense this way. It hast to be the other way around. NT and Linux are both kernels while GNU and windows are both operating systems.
>>51975835
There has been a project to mage GNU/windows but it runs like shit. The closest you will get is GOW or maybe cygwin.
>>
Is it safe to remove a usb drive after unmounting without detaching it (powering off the port)? Also which command should I use: umount, udisks --unmount or udisksctl unmount?
>>
>>51975601
>friendly unix thread
>actually is other Ganhoo/Lunix thread
UNIX should die anyways.
>>
>>51986283
>Is it safe
Your computer isn't going to explode or anything. Some of the data that you've "written" to the drive since it was mounted may not have ACTUALLY been written yet. Unmounting first ensures that any data you've attempted to write to the drive has actually been written.

In some cases, then, like if you plugged in your drive just to read something and didn't copy anything to it, it's fine. In others, maybe you'll get what you expect and maybe you won't.

I'm pretty sure that umount always works if you're root, but I'm not sure about that. I think other methods of unmounting thing are for cases when you want to be able to unmount things without root privileges, and which one you'd use depends on how it was mounted, but I could easily be completely wrong about that. I've only needed to use anything other than umount a few times, and I don't remember the circumstances..
>>
>>51986283
>>51986373
>after unmounting
On second thought, I think I misunderstood your question.
>powering off the port
What are you talking about?
>>
>>51986373
I'm always unmounting but I wanted to know if it's better to detach it after unmounting it, and then removing it. If you only unmount you can still see the drive with fdisk -l, but after detaching with udisks --detach for example, the usb port is powered off.
>>
full retard coming through

in the i3 config i have
>exec always feh --bg scale /home/user/Downloads/image.jpg

but shit doesn't work when refreshing i3, it's in my ~/Downloads directory which I presumed was above? something with the path i'm fucking up
>>
>>51986493
Yeah, you don't need to do that.
>>
>>51986538
are you that guy that installed i3 yesterday and "watched a few videos"?
did you read https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/I3
>>
>>51986633
yes:^)

i3 isn't the problem, it's the path to the file, would have gotten it as wrong in ubuntu, works fine in terminal
>>
>>51985709
is this just fantasy?
>>
>>51986707
it must be why would anyone think moving standardized keys one arbitrary step to the right is smart?
>>
>>51986538
Did you mean --bg-scale ?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.