[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is Gahnoo/EMACS the most bloated, disgustingly ugly editor
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: emacs.png (41 KB, 265x265) Image search: [Google]
emacs.png
41 KB, 265x265
Why is Gahnoo/EMACS the most bloated, disgustingly ugly editor ever created?
>>
>>51973099
Because it was written by the most bloated, disgustingly ugly neckbeard ever created
>>
>>51973099
because lisp
>>
because you are using default everything.
>>
>>51973127
So true!
>>
File: emacs_dec_6_build.png (135 KB, 889x669) Image search: [Google]
emacs_dec_6_build.png
135 KB, 889x669
settings up a functional emacs environment is a lifelong affair. emacs is truly the god of all text editors
>>
Why should I use a text editor like emacs or vim, versus a full ide like codeblocks or netbeans. Everytime I do I slow down my workflow searching to do the most basic tasks.
>>
What are alternatives to the emacs start screen? Does anyone rice to have a custom start screen?
>>
>>51974423
You are an idiot if you didn't turn Emacs/Vim into an IDE.

You're also an idiot if you think programming is the only thing you do with a text editor.
>>
>>51974454
I disable it and go straight to scratch.
>>
>>51974454
initial-buffer-choice
>>
>>51974454
Only starting Emacs once every month.
>>
>>51974477
I used emacs with gdb and it felt like a waste of time to learn all the controls and create my own makefiles. Please tell me why I'm stupid
>>
>>51973127
Shut your mouth, you disgusting piece of shit!
>>
>>51974573
>I used emacs with gdb and it felt like a waste of time to learn all the controls and create my own makefiles
You're stupid for not using Emacs as a front-end to GDB so you can point and click on variables.

You're stupid for not using a build-system that wasn't conceived in the 70s, like Autoconf or SCons or PyConf or Automake or Cmake or whatever.

You're stupid for not using plugins to Emacs to make it have auto-completion, simplified code-navigation, linting etc.
>>
>>51974423
Because once you know how to do all those basic things, you never have to worry about them again, even if you switch languages.
>>
>>51974573
What does gdb have to do with makefiles? Why not use valgrind?
>>
>>51974609
...fair enough...
>>
>>51973099
Because it's not an editor, it's an environment that contains an editor.
>>
I wouldn't call someone who doesn't use a programmable text editor a real programmer.

>I'm a chef.
>I eat McDonalds every day and cook using the microwave.

>I'm an engineer.
>I do my prototypes using MegaBloks.

>I'm a mathematician.
>I do most of my work using my smartphone's calculator.
>>
>>51973127
/thread
>>
>>51974588
sup richard
>>
>>51974454
try this
https://github.com/kakakaya/random-splash-image
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.