[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what the fuck happened to wd greens?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 4
File: Capture.png (122 KB, 874x574) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
122 KB, 874x574
what the fuck happened to wd greens?
>>
>>51972118
they got eaten up by blue u dumass
>>
>>51972118
Relabeled to blue. Should still be prominently explained on WD's web page.
>>
>>51972118
>tfw can't find my WD infrared
>>
>>51972145
So what did blues turn into?
>>
>>51972198
Blue is a base color.
>>
>>51972118
global warming isn't a thing anymore
>>
what are WD Datacenterâ„¢ drives used for
>>
>>51972208
Blues and greens are different drives. If greens are now blues, what are the old blues now?
>>
>>51972198
Nothing. WD Greens were advertised as primary data storage drives. That's basically what WD REDs have become. Even if Reds are now "NAS" specific, they're basically WD Greens with special firmware. That's it.
>>
File: 1450662503169.png (136 KB, 874x574) Image search: [Google]
1450662503169.png
136 KB, 874x574
>>51972118
>>
>>51972118

Meme'd themselves to death.
>>
Looks like WD is gimping the Blues and moving them to 5400rpm.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=770#Tab3

EZRZ only has user reviews from November and December, so it would seemingly be the replacement for the EZEX.

Bye Blues.
>>
I'm thinking of paining my house datacenter.
>>
>>51972375
you deserve some thanks
>>
>>51972375
Do you have a single fact to back any of this up?
>>
File: sshot-81_575px.png (30 KB, 594x521) Image search: [Google]
sshot-81_575px.png
30 KB, 594x521
>>51972375
>5400 RPM red
>best read
No.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6157/western-digital-red-review-are-nasoptimized-hdds-worth-the-premium/3
>>
>>51972118
smoked
>>
>>51972501
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg4wr_M64Go

>Oh, that's by a random youtuber. He probably doesn't know shit
It's listed on their fucking website
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Purpose/
>>
>>51972557
My bad. RED is usually placed in RAID, thus increased performance. Meanwhile, most uses of blacks would be by themselves, even though they perform the best out of that group.

You'd never (or should never) buy a single RED by itself.
>>
>>51972658
>You'd never (or should never) buy a single RED by itself.

Can you show me on the western digital site where it says this?
>>
>>51972118
Are the only differences between them slight firmware changes?
>>
>>51972674
>NAS drive
Pretty much by definition

>NAS systems are networked appliances which contain one or more storage drives, often arranged into logical, redundant storage containers or RAID.
>>
>>51972245
>If greens are now blues, what are the old blues now?
Discontinued, apparently.
Get the 1TB/platter 7200RPM EZEX while it lasts. (Or just get the Seagate which is slightly better)
>>
So the new WD blue drives aren't 7200 rpm anymore?
>>
What I fail to comprehend is why the fuck wouldn't one fill a NAS with Blacks if they are also supposedly server-grade quality, and are faster than the 5400rpm reds.

Pls /g/
>>
>>51972827
Red supposedly are designed for more continuous use and 24/7 power on.

A Black would be faster, sure, but a Red may last longer.
>>
>>51972827
Better read and lower failure rate
>>
>>51972827
Why don't you fill it with SSD?

One reason is cost. The other is that TLER and other stupid shit may be something you want.

But actually, do what you want.
>>
So purples vs reds for RAID1? I keep getting conflicting information
>>
>>51972847
>>51972851
I am glad. I am currently filling up a NAS with HDDs and I bought reds for it. I just wanted to know that I didn't completely fuck up.
>>
>>51972908
Read or write? They're made for different things:

>I need to write a lot (ie, recording HD video)
Purples
>I need to read a lot (ie, setting up a home backup server)
Reds
>>
>>51972973
Awsome, makes sense.
>>
Good. WD greens were the absolute worst HDDs. It was only a matter of time.

I worked in PC repairs and came accross so many WD greens that shat themselves.
>>
>>51972614
I see a lot of statements backed up by fuck all.
>>
>>51973012
Go look at reviews and statistics.
I'm not here to babysit you.
>>
>>51973054
So then you have nothing?
Good to know that even Crayola could sell hard drives at a premium to you idiots.
>>
>>51973069
WD is a trusted hard drive brand. I'm currently rocking a WD black for that reason. I've seen the reviews of some of these drives, and they perform as well as they say in their promotion.

Thus, what they say, or what they pay someone to say is likely to be true.

Crayola on the other hand is not a trusted hard drive brand. If they spouted out that they had new hard drives, I'd do my best research on them and wait till reviews get their hands on them. I wouldn't trust them prematurely.
>>
>>51973138
All I see there is
>WD is trusted because I say so
>its good cause I use it and believe anything anyone tells me.
>I fell for the WD Black meme

Unless you have some facts like benchmarks or specs sheets you can just make like an Abit Motherboard faggot.
>>
File: schnitzl.jpg (30 KB, 280x390) Image search: [Google]
schnitzl.jpg
30 KB, 280x390
>>51972156
>>
>>51972973
>>I need to read a lot (ie, setting up a home backup server)
wouldn't a backup server be the other way around?
>>
>>51973237
I don't know why I used the word backup, but I wanted it to differentiate them from the marketing rather than calling it a NAS. same reason I said video record rather than surveillance.

I meant it for home storage/server, where you'd be reading more either locally or remotely.
>>
>>51973190
>Unless you have some facts like benchmarks or specs sheets you can just make like an Abit Motherboard faggot.

Black: http://www.technologyx.com/pc-hardware/storage/western-digital-black-series/2/

Reds: http://www.anandtech.com/show/8265/wd-red-pro-review-4-tb-drives-for-nas-systems-benchmarked/4
(includes a handy reference for other hard drives)

Purples: http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/6196/western-digital-purple-surveillance-storage-4tb-hdd-review/index4.html

Blue: http://www.storagereview.com/western_digital_caviar_blue_1tb_review_wd10ealx
>>
>>51973190
I also purposely made them all different reviewers so you don't complain that I'm biased towards a single website.
>>
>>51973321
>EALX
that's old. EZEX is the latest. (not counting the Green abortion trickling out)
>>
I fucking hate hard drive companies.

its so fucking obvious they're colluding to keep prices high, we have yet to return to pre flood prices.
>>
>>51972118
>build in blue
>create in black

Synonyms for the same thing... why?
>>
>>51974236
Black are just Blue HDDs that are way more reliable, pretty much a small performance difference between them.

They have some anti-vibration shit also with more stability.
>>
>>51974236
well after the rebrand blacks are consumer oriented performance drives.

blues are more for storage.

all and all hard drive marketing makes little sense from a consumer perspective.
>>
>>51972463
I guess they figured the idiots are too slow to notice a difference between a SSD and a HDD and haven't upgraded to an SSD by now won't notice the difference between 5400 rpm and 7200 either.
>>
>>51972118
Is buying red drives over blue ones for a negligible cost difference and better warranty ill advised? I'll primarily be using them to store media and games that I don't deem important enough for ssds.
>>
>>51972714
That still doesn't say it is a bad idea to run a single red drive by itself.
>>
>>51975255
it's not a bad idea, it just makes less sense
>>
>>51972658
>You'd never (or should never) buy a single RED by itself.

Eh... I bought my 4tb Red by itself for like 100 bucks, totally worth it.
>>
>>51972233
Datacenters
>>
They merged them into blue.
They still exist, it's just to find them you have to look at the exact model name of the blue.
https://techreport.com/news/29251/western-digital-paints-its-green-hard-drives-blue-in-rebranding

>For example, the 3.5", 1TB, 5,400-RPM-ish Blue drive is the WD10EZRZ, while the 1TB, 7,200-RPM drive is the WD10EZEX.

Easy huh? Just look out for EX instead of RZ.
Makes it so simple for consumers.
>>
>>51975395
no, just look at the clearly labeled rpm value

but yeah, i get your point about how the naming convention is pretty fucking annoying
>>
>>51972375
Not quite..

Black and Yellows share very similar hardware

Blue - Green - Red - Purple are same basic hardware with different firmware
>>
>>51975564
you can check yourself look at the physical dimensions, weight and the arm and motor designs on the WD site, unless something has changed in the last 6 months then disregard
>>
>caring about greens

HGST is WD's premium brand for /g/ patricians
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.