[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Video Compression
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: WinRAR1.jpg (28 KB, 450x343) Image search: [Google]
WinRAR1.jpg
28 KB, 450x343
>Have uncompressed video
>Want to compress it to store it while saving space
>Need data to be 100% accurate to the source after decompressing at a later date
>99.99% (visually lossless) is unacceptable. I need perfect 1:1 quality at the bit level.

Tried WinRAR but it was shit. Literally exporting the video as a PNG Sequence gave a better compression ratio.

What codec / software should I use?
I do not care at all about the encoding speed, I simply need the task done.
>>
Try ffv1 codec
>>
>>51971472
lagarith or huffyyuv
>>
export as png sequence and put in a 7zip :D
>>
>want to compress
>needs to be lossless

Pick one.
>>
>>51971525
are you implying that lossless compression doesn't exist
>>
>>51971500
This.
ffv1 is used by many archives (even the government afaik) to store video data. It's lossless and has quite okay compression ratio. It should be better than exporting all frames as png, anyway.
>>
>>51971588
>99.99% (visually lossless) is unacceptable.
>any DCT-based codec
>>
>>51971472
For video/image encoding you need a codec specifically made for it
Generic file compression tools usually aren't very effective for this
But you could try 7zip
>>
>>51971500
>>51971594
Pretty much /thread, if you can't store it then its time to buy some dropbox plan or expand your local storage.
>>
>>51971500
>>51971594
This. All you have to do, assuming Linux/OSX, is get FFMPEG through your package repository, and then "ffmpeg -i $THEVIDEO -c:v ffv1 -c:a flac $THEVIDEO.mkv" and you're done.
>>
>>51971641
I have the storage to hold all these, but any gains through compression will simply lead to more free space. I'm not looking for some miracle trying to compress 50GB down to 500MB. Even if some videos only compress down to 90% of their uncompressed size, I'd be happy.

I'm aware that Lossless encoding can achieve mind blowing compression ratios, but only if the source allows it. CG animations with a static background and 1-2 moving objects on the screen for example can compress well, while footage shot with a real-life camera won't compress nearly as well due to noise and entropy.

FFV1 seems like a good option.

>>51971500
>>51971594
Which software do two you recommend for encoding videos with FFV1 using Windows?

I'd prefer something with a GUI if available.
>>
>>51971804
Just use ffmpeg on windows you silly anon
>Gui
Make a .bat file if you're this clumsy.
>>
Maybe some UHARC shit.
>>
File: vlc 2015-12-20 21-28-12-25.png (3 MB, 1920x818) Image search: [Google]
vlc 2015-12-20 21-28-12-25.png
3 MB, 1920x818
>>51971898
Found out XMediaRecode has FFV1 and HuffYUV as available codecs for AVI. FFV1 appears to have better compression ratios than HuffYUV.

I have found a potential problem. My source videos are 24-bit RGB. When converting to FFV1 or HuffYUV, if I leave the Color Mode to "Automatic" and then convert it back to a RAW AVI using XMediaRecode, it bugs out. Pic related.

The workaround I've found is to select RGB32 while converting my RGB24 source to the FFV1/HuffYUV then they comvert back to RAW AVIs just fine, although 33% larger due to the conversion from RGB24 -> RGB32

It's worth noting that even if I mess up and don't select RGB32 while making the encode, the file still plays back properly in VLC so it appears to just be a decoding problem with XMediaRecode.

I don't really want to deal with something that doesn't have a GUI, but since I can't find a way to make XMR convert the RGB24 FFV1 videos to RGB24 RAW AVIs I'm not sure this program is a good choice.

Anyone know some alternatives with a GUI?
I may just be careful and use this with the workaround.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.