[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can someone explain why i pay for 5MB/s internet (best in my
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3
File: Internet Download.png (29 KB, 913x501) Image search: [Google]
Internet Download.png
29 KB, 913x501
Can someone explain why i pay for 5MB/s internet (best in my area) but only download stuff at 400-600Kb/s
>pic related
>>
>>51968680
Can you fuck off and stop using /g/ for tech support. Go ask /sqt/
>>
File: heart_PNG702.png (96 KB, 512x471) Image search: [Google]
heart_PNG702.png
96 KB, 512x471
>>51968718
Not tech support, just a question hoping one of you faggots could explain to me.
>>
Holy Fucking Units Batman!
>>
because the ISP is swindling you. Don't worry, you can't do shit about it.
>>
>>51968748
OP here
>Mb/s, my bad
>>
ok. if this isnt trolling then..

Cause thats how it works. if it were 5 MEGABYTES per sec then that would be a 50 MEGABIT line.. its just the way they advertise it.

everything is fine.
>>
People still don't know the difference between megabyte and megabit.

Oh boy.
>>
mega isn't safe
>>
kek. Just got moved up to 200Mbps here. Anything up to around 22MBp/s download <3
>>
>>51968782
How can you fuck up multiplying by 8 that bad
>>
>>51968782
>if it were 5 MEGABYTES per sec then that would be a 50 MEGABIT line
You are almost as retarded as OP
>>
>>51968798
Who the fuck cares from where you download stuff?
>>
Because you don't understand how the internet works
>>
>>51968680
You pay for UP TO 5 megaBIT
So your download speed is about right,
>>
>>51968820
did I say where you download retard
>>
Most likely it says "Up to 5 Megabits" or something like that, they say "up to" so they can plow your little boy pussy and get away with it cause they can give you anywhere under and they'd still technically be within range.
>>
>>51968825
OP here (literal retard when it comes to non hardware stuff)
Would there be a difference if i used WiFi instead of ethernet (good or bad)?
>>
>>51968857
Its free shit, who cares if mega isn't "safe", they offer the best uncapped speeds
>>
>>51968877
At those speeds it would be pretty minimal. I doubt you'd get the full speed even if you plugged it in.
>>
>>51968877
No

Wifi will be exactly the same as ethernet for sufficiently low speeds (AKA yours) and slower for sufficiently high speeds (AKA tens of times higher than yours)
>>
>>51968890
>best uncapped speeds

Sure they do....
>>
>>51968864
They say up to because they have no control over traffic once it leaves their network

For you to get your full speed the following must be true:
1.) Your PC has the available bandwidth to fully service your request (almost always true)
2.) Your ISP has the available bandwidth to fully service your request
3.) Any intermediate networks and interconnects has the available bandwidth to fully service your request
4.) Your download target's ISP has the available bandwidth to fully service your request
5.) Your download target's host has the available bandwidth to fully service your request

Unless all of those are met, you may not be able to download at full speeds, and unless the issue is with #2 it's completely out of your ISP's control
>>
>>51968815
i just take whatever my line speed is and divide by 10. gives a close enough answer every time. im not math autistic as fuck.

>>51968816
1.5mbit line downloads at 150kbs..
24mbit line downloads at 2.4mbps

obviously those figures arent gospel and are within a %+-

stop being such an autist
>>
>>51968953
You were converting from megabytes to megabits, not megabytes to kilobytes you retard

5 megabytes is 40 megabits
>>
>>51968904
I second that. Where I lived before, my internat connexion was comparable to OP’s, and there was pretty much no difference between WiFi and ethernet, but at my office with the fiber, I can go up to 8GB/s by WiFi and up to 39GB/s by ethernet and the WiFi is about three~four meters (around 10~14 feets) away from my computer.
>>
>>51969012
5 megabytes per second
50 megabit per second
5000 kilobytes per second
50000 bits per second

or you could be a dick and go all nerdsperg about multiplying by 8 or whatever, but its just a whole lot easier to go by 10's.

if OP can be bothered to actually google this and do some research then i dont think they care about using the exact units
>>
>>51969088
my wifi runs 72mb/s on my laptop and i get 2.5MB/s. Plug in to ethernet and i get 5.2MB/s
>>
>>51968680
Stupid normies will defend this kind of ripping off
>>
>>51969253
Cont.
Also learn the fucking difference between b and B
>>
>>51969192
>nerdsperg about multiplying by 8 or whatever, but its just a whole lot easier to go by 10's.

Nerdsperg here.

Dividing by 9 or 10 is actually more accurate than dividing by 8, because there is also error correction bits and other overhead.
>>
>>51969292
a fair point.
>>
>>51969213
Seems pretty legit tbqh, even though you could theoretically have an ethernet speed up to 9MB/s (without any loss and errors in connexion)
That’s pretty much the internet connexion my father had (but he upgraded his connexion since then I think)
>>
>>51968680
because you are a fool op
work out what fraction of your speed you actually get then work out how many months equivalent you should be paying
email isp and then cancel direct debit on months you don't think you owe anything

isp i'm with now i just phone them up if the speed is below advertised and they give me the month for free. never happens because its cable, pay for 50mb, get ~54mb avg
>>
>>51969327
im now running through a JCG Router running repeater and its back to 4.9MB/s - so a fair bit better and only cost 12€
>>
File: 1414953409353.png (99 KB, 247x248) Image search: [Google]
1414953409353.png
99 KB, 247x248
>>51968953
>struggles to multiply/divide by 8
>calls other people autistic
>>
>>51969354
A fair price in my opinion
>>
>>51969088
>8GB/s by WiFi and up to 39GB/s by ethernet
Yeah no the fuck you can't
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.