[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Be honest. Which OS do you prefer for Pentesting? Kali Linux
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3
File: Debian.jpg (27 KB, 620x348) Image search: [Google]
Debian.jpg
27 KB, 620x348
Be honest. Which OS do you prefer for Pentesting? Kali Linux or Debian??
>>
Kali of course.
>>
>>51968085
Why though?
>>
>>51968057
how can you make debian useful for pentesting?
>>
Debian is not a penetration testing distribution per se. That's Kali Linux, which is based on Debian. So to answer your question, and being forced to choose between the two, it obviously Kali Linux. You also might want to look at BlackArch Linux.
>>
>>51968146
Because It has the tools for doing so, out of the book
>>
>>51968211
>book
I mean box.
>>
Any pentesters/hackers (same thing anyway) in this thread?
>>
>>51968230
>pentesters/hackers (same thing anyway)
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#Hacker
>>
File: demo-training.jpg (75 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
demo-training.jpg
75 KB, 1280x800
>>51968057
I'd like to build my own based off Debian using tools I use Kali has alot of shit i possibly will never use.
>>
>>51968230
Its not the same thing you retard. A hacker can be a pentester or use pentesting techniques to hack into things. A hacker can also be someone who only hacks physical things devices to do other stuff. Therefore pentester != hacker although they do similar things. Also any real pentesters or hackers (not script kiddie's) that are on 4chan probably won't admit to it or help you.
>>
>>51964526
kali should be an autoban word because it's always plebs like this who want to know how to hax compooters
>>
>>51968057

Kali, Windows, Random *NIX

Just comes down to what your goal is.
>>
If there is any Pentesters in this thread tell me what does one actually do? Because I read that it's the same as hacking but you just have to report your findings.

Is this true?
>>
Debian
>>
>>51970308
Yes and yes that is true.
>>
>>51970326
What's it like being a pentester? Does it get boring? I've got 2 weeks to decide what I want my future career to possibly be. I'm a programmer and can write Python and C. Finally is it a good paying job?
>>
Holy shit theres people in this thread that actually use Kali. Serious question: Are you fucking retarded? It sure is hard to build your own live cd without all the metric tons of bloat and unneeded services.

Followup question: Do you seriously think its okay for everything to be ran as root?

Please respond
>>
>>51970418
No, in Kali Linux not everything is ran in root unless you use the Sudo command before every line.

I'm currently running Kali on my old laptop and I honestly don't find it that bad.

My Followup Question: What Linux Distro do you use?
>>
>>51970358

To quote myself on my first assignment "i can't believe i'm getting payed to do this".

You'll see a lot of absolutely stupid stuff and if you can't laugh at it you should probably look for another job ;).

Python and C is great. Some flavor of Assembly next!

Yes the pay is good but shouldn't be a deciding factor for you. It is way more than a 8-17 job.
>>
>>51970453
By default on the live CD root is the ONLY user, so everything you run is under the root account.

Followup answer: CentOS / Fedora
>>
2 hours and no gentoo meme.
WHAT
>>
Haha thanks man I appreciate it
>>
>>51970481
Yea, I'm running it as my prime OS. Are you a pentester? And do you find it easier to work with CentOS or Fedora? And why do you prefer them?
>>
>>51970521
They both do different things. The right distro for the right task.

CentOS is a community edition of Red Hat. So I use it for certain embedded devices and servers.

Fedora is for desktop(yes, fuck off, desktop) and laptop because it has more up to date software/drivers.

Basically, CentOS uses older and more stable packages so use it where you need stability. Use fedora where you can just fuck around and have cool new things.

Also no, I am not pentester, sys admin
>>
>>51970521
I'm only using it as my Prime OS because fucking windows 7 ran out of support so I thought fuck it, let's install Kali.
>>
>>51970567
I'm only using Kali Linux because I think it's got all the helpful tools pre-installed and I don't have to go through individually and install them. I want kali linux for my job... They're aren't any better Linux Distros like Kali
>>
>>51970614
If you think Kali is the de-facto go to linux distribution even for pen testing you seriously need to question if you really know what you're doing. No, not trying to be a dick, but seriously. It has all the helpful tools, sure, great.

However, just because it's nice and easy and Just Werks, you have the following issues:

A. You don't know shit about how the OS works because everything is already there for you

B. You don't know how to properly install packages and resolve their dependencies. Not to mention how to build from source.

C. Not everything is going to be done the easy way so might as well learn now

D. Many many people will laugh at you for using Kali

E. You make the assumptions that just because you don't use SUDO under the root account that programs aren't still run as root
>>
>>51970614
>>51970692
don't listen to this guy he's just the typical hypster install meme gentoo/arch fag
>>
>>51970971
Literally just said I use CentOS/Fedora. Don't listen to this fag, he doesn't even know how to read. Also, he doesn't even provide any counter points. Shit post.
>>
>>51970493
>install Pentoo
>>
>>51970614
There are pen test flavors of many of the big distros.
Debian has Kali
Arch has Black Arch
Gentoo has Pentoo
I'm sure there is one based on Fedora/Red hat.
You can also just install the tools you need youself.
>>
Debian
>>
>>51968057
Parrotsec OS which is also Debian
>>
>>51968057
parrotOS
>>
>>51968057
will someone please post this wallpaper I want it ;~;
>>
>>51968057
Just regular Arch. I am not a pentester nor an edgy kid. Only hacking tools I ever needed was WiFi cracking tools.
>>
>>51975208
You were supposed to move on years ago, son.
>>
File: a4149144771_16.jpg (65 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
a4149144771_16.jpg
65 KB, 700x700
You can literally take any distro and install whatever tools necessary. The fact that certain tools come pre-installed with pentesting distributions only weighs in if you run said distro as some live boot environment.

Also do not be fooled into thinking that a pentesting distribution will have any impact on your success as pentester.
>>
>>51968230
Ye. Helo
>>
>>51968057
Arch.
>>
>>51970418
Kali is really only good to put on a USB and carry it around with you. It's not really a daily driver kind of OS.
>>
>>51970692

because you really need to know exactly how an operating system works to use the tools provided to you. Yeeeeeeeeaaah, get the fuck outta here.
>>
use debian and run kali in a virtual machine
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.