[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You have exactly 2 milliseconds to explain why you do not code in C#.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7
File: csharp3.png (68 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
csharp3.png
68 KB, 300x300
You have exactly 2 milliseconds to explain why you do not code in C#.
>>
Java does everything better.
>>
>>51967785
I would use it to code a windows GUI but haven't had the need to in a little while
>>
File: 1450545597001.jpg (35 KB, 650x507) Image search: [Google]
1450545597001.jpg
35 KB, 650x507
>>51967785
Scala
>>
>>51967785
Proprietary.
Made by Microsoft.
Windows only (inb4 muh mono, it's trash)
>>
>>51967785
Java is superior
>>
>>51967893
I wonder how it feels to be living behind the moon.

https://github.com/Microsoft/dotnet

Java is dead.
>>
>>51967948
>Java is dead.
seems more like C# is dead
>>
>>51967948

Aside from being the most widely used language for any large website, the most widely used language for embedded products, and with a huge Dalvik / ART Android ecosystem?

C# might be the king of the Windows desktop application, but Java is the king of just about every other fucking thing besides the highest resource demand backend server stuff (which goes to C++)
>>
>>51968322
c++ is the king of pretty much any high performance program, like games for example, and browsers are also made with c++. Unity games are usually done with c#
>>
>>51968322
Java is the king of intranet web services that still send messages in SOAP and are built by committees of managers that think scale means buying a more expensive server, not engineers.

If that's 'every other fucking thing' to you, then have fun building your service that translates toilet paper usage per employee into cost savings of moving to 1/2 ply across the division.
>>
I have no need to.
>>
>>51967785
Sorry my C# auto poster requires .NET 3.5 or later to run and also takes 5 ms to run
>>
Aren't you in a good position if you know either java or c# since they are fairly similar?
>>
I use a Free as in Freedom (tm) OS
>>
>>51967785
I don't want to be limited to .NET
>>
>>51967785
C# cannot replace html/css/js and cant earn me big money for small work
>>
>>51968448
>Java is the king of intranet web services that still send messages in SOAP and are built by committees of managers that think scale means buying a more expensive server, not engineers.
Sounds like basically any corporate .NET application ever written.
>>
>>51968448

Google, LinkedIn, Twitter, eBay, Amazon, Boeing, Bombardier, NASA, the finance and banking industry, et al all disagree with you.

But I'm sure you know more about this than the combined software, hardware, and engineering expertise than the staff at those places.....
>>
>>51968539
Wat is asp ebin xDD
>>
>>51967785
.net
>>
File: used_languages.png (72 KB, 894x807) Image search: [Google]
used_languages.png
72 KB, 894x807
>>51968635

Sorry, but most of the companies you listed use Java at some point.

Do your research, faggot.

>>51967785

I really think C# has some funky stuff but Java is better for finding Jobs (outside the whole Microshill stuff).
>>
>>51968487
>>51968524
>>51968934
What exactly is bad about .net?

It works great unless you're doing le ebin linoox ruse. And we all know the majority of /g/ users only use linux in VM or dualboot once in a while at best.
>>
well?
>>
C# is a vastly superior language to java and .net/roslyn is a better virtual machine.
But java is more popular and still technically more crossplatform.
C# is a good language if you want to actually have fun
>>
>Programming in Java
>2000+5+4+3+2+1
But think about it, prob the only reason you use Java is for "muh crosscompatibility" even though a lot of your clients use Windows. Also "wat is Mono framework?".
>>
>>51967785
I do.
It's my favorite language right now. If you're writing desktop applications right now, just use C#.
>>
>>51969681
>>51969421
> vastly superior language
Unless you like jerking off to minor improvements in the type system, or syntactic sugar to save a few lines of boilerplate, there just isn't any real reason to switch.

Nobody will rewrite existing systems or libraries just to skip a few getters and setters. Apparently people don't even consider the improvement significant enough to build new systems on it, since Java is currently experiencing a second advent while C# is stagnating (at best).

Its business as usual, momentum, ecosystem and legacy-support is just more important than minor technical improvements. Maybe Microsoft could have challenged Java if they open-sourced it 10 years ago, but at this point it seems like a lost cause.
>>
>>51969421
>>51969681
>>51969955
This.

C# is simply god-tier.

You nerds will never realize how much fun it is to use C#... Enjoy writing out millions of lines of confusing and complicated code while people are enjoying themselves and not breaking their keyboards from overuse.
>>
>>51970894
Great, looking forward to you creating the same thread again tomorrow.
>>
>>51967785
It's not that c# is bad. It's just the problem with it being windows only. Mono is sort of shit currently. When it has better cross compatibility I will pick it up for sure, however for now I'll stick with c++, java and python/ruby.
>>
>>51970945
I get paid $2 for making a pro-C# and .net thread every day.
>>
Java is more ubiquitous.
>>
Know Java already.
>>
>>51970048
There is no need to rewrite anything, but if you have a new project to do, you should probably do it in C#. As for the "second adventand C# stagnation", this is a citation needed moment.
>>
Wow thanks guys!

From this thread I can really tell that C# is a good choice. I was starting to secondguess whether I should learn it or not.

Seems like a good option, fellow /g/ users. .NET really is the future!
>>
File: no whining.jpg (11 KB, 277x300) Image search: [Google]
no whining.jpg
11 KB, 277x300
>>51967893
>>
>>51969681
>>51970984
Exactly how is mono "shit" without referring to a lack of frameworks with extremely logical reasons for never being implemented on mono?

Again, I'll say it in every thread, the real shills are obvious
>mono is shit
In one post.
>C# is great
In the next.
>>
But I do. Windows masterrace.
>>
Question to people who know about it: let's say I have made a program in c++ and it works via comand line, could I program the gui in c# without having to port the program itself to c#?
>>
I use sepples for everything desu senpai
>>
>>51972758
Yup, that's actually what I do with most of my Windows projects
You're gonna have to either port your project Microsoft's Managed C++ or at least write a layer to interoperate
>>
>>51972782
I bet you've never made any non-trivial projects.
>>
>>51972868
Well, I made a server for a game
Took about 4 months to make and shit

I'm just very familiar with the language. C++ is only a mess when you bring programmers of different levels to the codebase. The amateurs are going to struggle doing anything and will do hacks to do what they want, and the rest of the codebase will suffer as a result.
Oh, and the people who know C++ too much like me will keep trying to pull out their new tricks they learned from watching an Andrei Alexandrescu video and confuse everyone

But hey, for a solo project, any language you're most proficient with is the best. C++ is like the only language I know I'll always have the tool to solve a problem, even if it's not the most elegant all the time
>>
File: d.jpg (15 KB, 250x314) Image search: [Google]
d.jpg
15 KB, 250x314
D is the one language to rule them all.
>>
Bwcause I work at McDonald's
>>
File: 145066918795.png (65 KB, 250x314) Image search: [Google]
145066918795.png
65 KB, 250x314
>>51973659
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.