[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Given Intel and AMD's focus on APUs, does /g/ think they
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: 8086.jpg (135 KB, 1512x774) Image search: [Google]
8086.jpg
135 KB, 1512x774
Given Intel and AMD's focus on APUs, does /g/ think they will ever catch up with the budget GPU market?
>>
They have before on several occasions, but the discrete GPU market keeps advancing to keep pace. An APU comes around that out performs a Radedon 6570 and before you know it the 6570 is entirely irrelevant.
>>
>>51967490
They have caught up with sub $80 low end GPU already.

Its only a matter of time before they catch up to sub $100 GPU sector.
>>
File: Bridget (15).png (934 KB, 680x684) Image search: [Google]
Bridget (15).png
934 KB, 680x684
>>51967490
They have already.
Both intel HD 5000 and AMD's high end APU's can do the exact same thing as low and mid-low tier GPU's.
>>
Only if the memory bandwidth starvation problem is fixed. GPUs require a fuckton of memory bandwidth that not even DC mode DDR4 can provide.

For example the entry level R7 250X (640 gcn cores) has 72GB/s of Vram memory bandwidth (efc. 4,500 MHz 128-bit).

The only solution I can think of is include GDDR5 on the motherboards.
>>
>>51967720
Intel uses eDRAM
AMD will use HBM
>>
>>51967747
Intel only uses 128 MB of eDRAM so most of the grunt transfers have to be done through system RAM, so this is not a complete solution.

HBM is too expensive to implement for APUs. GDDR5 is the only way you're realistically ever getting 72GB/s+ vRAM for APUs.

The future looks bleak for APUs to be honest. AMD is most likely going to use DDR4 for zen APUs but hopefully they will at least let people use 3,200 MHz DDR4 in DC mode.
>>
>>51967917
>Intel only uses 128 MB of eDRAM so most of the grunt transfers
You should look up how eDRAM actually works. Their next generation of chips will have a 256mb L4 instead of the current 128mb.

>HBM is too expensive to implement for APUs.
Prove it. The structure of HBM quite literally was designed with APUs in mind.
>>
File: graph_4.png (18 KB, 510x463) Image search: [Google]
graph_4.png
18 KB, 510x463
>>51967973
The fury X costs ~twice as much as a ~$300 R9 290X. The overall performance doesn't double and therefore the price increase is mostly due to the HBM.

Look APUs are designed to be cheap. HBM would make them very expensive and impractical. GDDR5 would solve the memory bandwidth starvation on the cheap.
>>
>>51968092
Fury X costs what it does because AMD is trying to increase margins and become more profitable you fucking idiot. You're doing nothing but guessing at what HBM costs and pretending like you're arguing a factual point.
>>
>>51968132
Well I guess I am guessing to be honest. I still don't think AMD would ever release a budget APU with HBM.
>>
>>51967543
A8 7650k outperforms an r7 250 iirc.
Or was that the a10 7850k?
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.