[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do Copyright Trolls know you are torrenting?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: a fag with a hat.jpg (119 KB, 425x282) Image search: [Google]
a fag with a hat.jpg
119 KB, 425x282
Do they just open up uTorrent, add the latest blockbusters to their downloads and check for any (INSERT TROLLS COUNTRY HERE) and copy paste their IP to an angry email to the ISP demanding your name?

Or do ISPs feed them information on any users using Bitorrent protocol?

Also Copyright Troll thread?
>>
>>51966773
Yes, also throw in a few automation scripts. That's why you use a vpn with no logs which servers are based in a country where nobody gives a fuck.
>>
>>51966773
Only the ISPs who are in the back pocked of the entertainment industry (every big ISP in the USA).
Feels good to be europoor in a country where the ISP and judges says fuck off.
>>
Yes, that's essentially it. Specifically they usually use a modified version of Shareaza because that normally supports multiple protocols and is open-source so it's easy for them to add logging.

A VPN that didn't care about nastygrams would solve that. An anonymous network would also work, with considerably more overhead (at present), although that is more sustainable in the long-term.

A few of the shit ones just connect to Bittorrent trackers with the infohashes they're after to scrape peer IP addresses, and that's it. There are numerous problems with this approach, see: http://dmca.cs.washington.edu/
>>
>>51966931

This is not quite accurate.

In the US, content owners send DMCA notices to ISPs telling them that one of their users has been infringing copyright, and requesting that the user in question be disconnected from the Internet. The ISP gets that letter, says, "lol, okay," and proceeds to do nothing other than forward the letter to the user in question. In practice, the message the ISP is sending you is, "You got caught, retard. Stop getting caught."

Copyright trolls generally don't know shit about your infringement habits in the US. All they can do to catch you is to connect to a swarm and and pelt all connected users with a US IP with letters. This is evidenced by the fact that almost nothing bad will ever happen to you as a user on a private tracker, unless there's a peer leaking attack.
>>
even if they check this with a script it will still only check the torrents they define. which is whatever is popular at the time. they are less likely to care about older content as theres fewer users and the list of available torrents that can be downloaded is overwhelming.
>>
>>51967191

And this is why you use HTTPS on the tracker and disallow unencrypted peers: to avoid automated ISP-level monitoring of exactly what you're downloading.
>>
>>51967208
hmmm can you elaborate on this. HTTPS on the tracker? I thought most trackers would use UDP instead?
>>
>>51966898
Recommendations?
>>
>>51967262

No, I mean while browsing the site. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that.
>>
Italy here. ISP just trash every dmca (or what the fuck is) mail their receive.
>>
>>51967610

I liked when France decided they were going to send notices to all the pirates and threaten to cut them off, only to immediately realize that over half the population pirates, and they had a backlog of over three years if they wanted to actually ding everybody.

Trashing them is a much better idea.
>>
>>51966773
>How do Copyright Trolls know you are torrenting?
You tell them you are when you connect to them in the swarm.

/thread
>>
>>51967723

This is why public trackers are a bad idea.
>>
which country?
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.