[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
For how much longer will the optical disc industry survive?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3
File: dvd-49.jpg (121 KB, 700x477) Image search: [Google]
dvd-49.jpg
121 KB, 700x477
For how much longer will the optical disc industry survive?

I'm giving it at least 10 more years. I don't see a way to effectively distribute 4k movies.

4k netflix is not anywhere near the quality of the upcoming 4k blurays.
>>
>>51965647
It'll be around for quite a while, dual layer blu ray holds 50gb, There are also triple and quad layer discs holding 75 and 100gb.

Currently a 2 hour 4k movie is about 50gb, so it'll still be the preferred format for distribution for a while
>>
>>51965647
>I don't see a way to effectively distribute 4k movies.
MicroSD cards
>>
>>51965708
Not at their current price, a 64gb is $20.

Ofcorse its cheaper then that to make but not cheaper then a blu ray disc
>>
usb sticks, I don't use anything else for several ŷears meanwhile
>>
File: hmmm.jpg (29 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
hmmm.jpg
29 KB, 500x375
>>51965708
>>51965734
>>
File: sandisk-slotmusic.jpg (43 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
sandisk-slotmusic.jpg
43 KB, 640x480
>>51965708
>MicroSD cards

Not this shit again.
>>
>>51965708
You mean USB drives
>>
Quite a while. People are still making vinyl records and audio cassettes.
>>
>>51965647
Maybe even longer. People like having visual representation of their possessions, and a disk is much nicer than a micro sd card.
>>
>>51966611
I don't get why people bother with cassettes.

While I can see that vinyl have some charm over them, cassettes were always garbage.
>>
>>51966830

Me either. I can see where they'd be useful as blanks for recording certain things, but pre-recorded albums? No thanks.

That said, I think reel to reel is primed for a comeback.
>>
I hate this bullshit. If I can stream 4k on YouTube why can't I stream a fucking movie. Hell I can stream that on 4g on my phone. Physical media is inconvenient and wasteful, bandwidth is plentiful. Data caps only apply in countries with corporate shill governments.
>>
>>51966985
because you are streaming super compressed video that looks like shit.
your 4k movie that you streamed could have fit onto a dvd.
>>
>>51966985
retard detected
>>
>>51967182
Nope
>>51967213
Nope
You twats aren't thinking. So a studio such as Netflix has raw video 4k files. They just have to compress to a certain standard. Right now that standard is ridiculously low, in the range of 15mbs. There's your fucking quality problem. Stream at a higher quality so that customers with fast connections get better quality. And fuck blu ray, that had crap compression 10 years ago. Ffs my isp has 120 mbs as it's entry tier. Dunno about your crappy US internet
>>
>>51966985
>>51967182
>>51967213
while his jewtube example was retarded, it does only take 7mb/s download speed so it's not unrealistic to simply stream 4k.
>>
>>51967381
How was it retarded? Because I sure as shit don't see any other video streaming sites doing 4k or 1080p60, and youtube doesn't have a problem if you have multiple people watching at that quality on my single connection. They have the bandwidth and their video quality levels have increased year on year.
>>
A Blu-ray disc spinning at 10,000 rpms would translate to a read speed of 50MB/s. Drives would have to radically change for this to make any significant improvement.
The paradigm is just horrendously inefficient. Storage capacity by size is very low, and read speeds are way behind what flash is capable of.
>>
>>51965647

Optical media is going to be around for a looooong time. It's the best cold-storage backup solution we have. HDDs and SSDs aren't anywhere near cheap enough or long-lived enough, the cloud doesn't scale well enough, and LTO tapes don't last as long as a well-made Blu-ray.
>>
>>51967455

You're looking at this the wrong way. Blu-ray is best used as a backup or archival format. If you're using them right, you're probably not using them at all at any given moment.

Optical media is great because it's a storage medium that is persistent, durable, and requires exactly zero watts of electricity to preserve once created.
>>
>>51965708
>>51965726
>>51965734
So we're looking at 64gb normal SD cards limited to 60gb to allow for shit flash and therefore making cheaper in 2-3 years
>>
Physical backups are always the safest way to store information. Can't be argued against. Clouds are monitored and the physical harddrive can be wiped. I save all of my files on a 128 gb USB drive. So if I get hacked or something I can get recover pretty quickly.
>>
>>51966985
Movie studios want insane DRM for 4k. This is why Netflix only streams their own series in 4k.
>>
>>51967555
check'd
>>
>>51967566

They'll get over it. They always do, when they realize that they aren't the only game in town and don't get to make the rules anymore.
>>
>>51965647
My 16yo car only takes CDs and has no aux cable input. The moment I get a new car I'll be done with all optical media forever.
>>
>>51967553
>limited to 60gb to allow for shit flash
What are you talking about?
>>
>>51967589

Do yourself a favor: buy a box of five 100GB M-Discs and buy or borrow a compatible burner, and back up ebooks, old video game ROMs, and FLAC. Those formats will be useful literally forever. They may be superseded at some point by a more efficient format, but you'll always be able to derive some use from them, perhaps as a source for conversion.
>>
>>51967584
Consider that it is nearly 2016 and they still think DRM is still viable at all. Hell, Chrome and Firefox are limited to 720p because they "aren't secure enough".
>>
>>51967601

He's talking about underprovisioning to allow the filesystem to work around bad flash cells.
>>
>>51967601
The same reason we have 250gb SSDs rather than 256gb.
They're all actually a bit bigger, you underrate them to allow for shit going wrong.

>>51967589
Or you could just change the head unit.
>>
>>51967445
Yeah and it will get better with youtube red, :^).
>>
>>51967629
>>51967687
Ow, yeah I know about that. The way he said it made no sense at all though.
>>
>>51967381
Next gen Blu-ray will be 100Mbps+. 56Mbps is barely above current Blu-ray, which can push 48Mbps.
Good luck having everyone streaming 100Mbps.

There's a reason we rip from Blu-rays and not Netflix and Youtube. There's no comparison in quality.
>>
>>51967687
The stereo is integrated into the car because Acura decided that CDs are all anyone will ever need. Plus I want to keep my steering wheel controls.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.