[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can I install Windows 10 after completely wiping t he drive?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
So I got a computer from some shady craigslist dude for $50. Naturally, want to completely wipe my hard drive using DBAN or some equivalent. Normally I'd just install some linux distro afterwards, but this computer is for my mom, who can barely do basic shit like check her email.

I'm wondering if it will still be possible to install Windows 10 for free after I do this? As of now I have the option to "update to windows 10," but it obviously won't be there after I wipe the drive.

I don't want to wipe the drive and then have a computer I have to buy software for.
>>
Run the upgrade, then wipe the drive and do a clean install.
Upgrading gives you a license locked to the computer's hardware, should be able to activate a clean install afterwards.
>>
we now have a tech support board called /wsr/

please go there
>>
>>51965224

Sorry.

Should I delete this?
>>
>>>/wsr/catalog
>>
In the newest 10 iso you can directly insert the old windows 7/8 key with no problem

Also >>>/wsr/
>>
>>51965247
>t the old windows 7/8 key with no problem

So I just wipe the drive, download the 10 ISO, install it, and then give my old windows 7 key and it'll run? Sweet.
>>
>>51965261
Exactly.
>>
Follow this: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/23354-clean-install-windows-10-directly-without-having-upgrade-first.html

tl;dr: You generate genuine file, save it external somewhere, install same version of 10 as 7/8 (Home/Pro) than paste it back on the installed 10 and it will auto-auth the machine.

I did this on a couple of machines using cracked 7 Pro and got full authed W10 Pro.
>>
>>51965241
>>51965247

>>>/g/wsr

Learn your shit, Redditor.
>>
You know you guys have been really helpful. I was hesitant to ask this question to 4chan because I was expecting to be spammed / trolled but this really exceeded my expectations.

Good on all of you. You just made my mom's Christmas.
>>
>>51965184
If 10 is currently installed and activated then you can wipe it and reinstall just fine and it will keep the activation.
>>
>>51965323
/wsr/ is the new board for tech support and consumer recommendations. Post it there.
>>
>>51965261
No, that isnt how it works. As a matter of fact in order to reinstall windows 10 when you already have it, it isnt just install the ISO and put your key in, you have to use their shitty wizard.
>>
>>51965184
give her mint instead. if she fucks up you can always ssh into it.
>>
>>51965349
>you have to use their shitty wizard

It's Windows. That goes without saying.

> give her mint instead. if she fucks up you can always ssh into it.

I don't know if you have a computer illiterate older family member, but you might as well ask her to to calculus and just tell her to call me if she has trouble.
>>
>>51965349
Nope, since Threesold 2 you can input it directly during the iso install
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/activation-in-windows-10
>>
File: 1446220215868.png (821 KB, 1330x1080) Image search: [Google]
1446220215868.png
821 KB, 1330x1080
>>51965323
>he doesn't know
>>
>>51965416

Yeah I mean I'm not a regular 4chan (or reddit) user so I had no idea you guys had a wsr page.

Regardless, I honestly find it hard to believe that I would have gotten answers as quickly and correctly to a technology questions in a general "work safe request" board as I would have in the tech board, but that's just my first impression.
>>
>>51965184
>but this computer is for my mom, who can barely do basic shit like check her email.

My mom is like that as well, so i installed Ubuntu.
>>
>>51965224
can u link to that bord
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.