[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ESD
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
File: Antistatic_wrist_strap.jpg (1 MB, 3072x2304) Image search: [Google]
Antistatic_wrist_strap.jpg
1 MB, 3072x2304
http://strawpoll.me/6316778

Have any of you ever killed a motherboard or other computer component from Electrostatic discharge?
I never have and yet I still handle components like a dumbass.
Never worn a anti-static wristwrap.
Forgot standoffs on a motherboard once
Touch components while they are still running.

I once plugged in a fan to the control panel wrong and smoke started billowing out of my case... But that's for another thread.
>>
>That's for another thread.
How about fucking not.
>>
>>51962890
penis in vagina
>>
>>51962860
>Touch components while they are still running.
The only thing Ive touched was the harddrives. Youd be stupid to touch anything else. Forget the parts, youre asking to die.
>>
I wear one 8hrs a day at work where I handle $800 boards that go into $100,000 products

I don't bother when I'm just installing $20 sticks of ram at home
>>
>>51962953
Nah, it's just a conspiracy that computers run on electricity, and can be damaged by high voltage static discharge.
>>
I assembled several computers for friends and myself on carpet, never had a single issue with esd
>>
>>51962860
How would you know if it died from ESD or from something else?
>>
I've never used electro static anything when opening my pc on shag carpets. Never harmed my shit.
>>
>>51962860
i think i fried both ctrl and alts in my t410 from countless discharges
>>
>>51963016
>>51963129
Are you guys saying you've never had a single blue screen or reboot? Did you start building computers yesterday?
>>
>>51962953
>youre asking to die
How stupid can you be?
>>
>>51963166
Of course I had some bluescreens and reboots in over 10 years of occasionally building computers. But I ultimately blamed them on shitty drives and other hardware/software incompatibilities. I never had any bluescreens that were truly random, except that one time a computer had faulty RAM (but this particular stick of RAM worked for over 3 years without issues).
No really, there was not a single issue that I would blame on esd. And I never wore any wrist straps or did prepare myself.
>>
Its hard to tell. I've had a few DOA, but then again I could have fried them and just assumed they were DOA, its hard to really know.

Either way I dont wear any antistatic anything, handle my stuff properly, and dont really do anything to prevent it.
>>
>hai guise i never weared le seatbelt and im not ded yet how about you?

T O P L U D D I T E
>>
>>51963166
>Are you guys saying you've never had a single blue screen or reboot? Did you start building computers yesterday?
>blue screen
>on linux
lol
>>
It doesn't necessarily kill it outright. ESD can shorten the lifespan of components.
>>
>>51965253

>Records indicate that there has been a total of 3,613,732 motor vehicle deaths in the United States from 1899 to 2013

Your turn.
>>
>>51965347
my turn for what, are you a retard?
>>
http://allenmarketingdesign.com/samples/esd.win02.pdf

this is a decent article on esd. gives some insight into the nature of the issue. of note is that latent esd damage can be an issue and the reason why so many of you claim to have never zapped a mobo but you may have then months later the issues begin to manifest.
>>
>>51965711
and i should add that everytime i see someone say, "i never had a problem with it" i will double down and say you should be absolutely psychotic about esd prevention. wear wrist strap, use esd safe tools, cleaners, get an esd safe mat to work on, etc.
>>
killed half of my damn computer about three months ago unplugging a headphones jack while the thing was running. Surge took out mobo, ram, my GPU and the liquid cooler pump for the Closed loop meme I had, and the wireless adapter.

Took me weeks of troubleshooting to finally figure out all of this was bad. Fuck carpets and unplugging anything ever again...
>>
>>51966696
Nice wiring you got on your house
>>
>>51965711

This.

Just because you touch components and build on carpet then your device switches on doesn't mean the damage isn't already done.
>>
>>51966764
>Nice wiring you got on your house

spot on there. Got a ground checker and turns out NONE of the outlets in my house were actually grounded. Some shoty electrician just installed grounded outlets and decided, "thats fine". so yeah.

Always check your shit I guess.
>>
File: ESD_9.png (701 KB, 1173x675) Image search: [Google]
ESD_9.png
701 KB, 1173x675
Good luck detecting ESD damage without a scanning electron microscope.

http://www.academyofaerospacequality.org/Tutorial/26
>>
Literally never wore anything to prevent esd,never had something die on me.

I do however always discharge myself before beginning on a project by touching a grounded socket.

And yes it's dumb not to wear esd preventing gear in the same way is dumb not to wear a seat belt. It might never happen, but when it does on that 300 dollar or more equipment you'll be sorry.
>>
>>51962860
I live in a high humidity area with tile/wooden floors so there's not a whole lot of static to discharge
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.