[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013 /10/googles-iron-grip-on
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
File: googol.png (217 KB, 740x416) Image search: [Google]
googol.png
217 KB, 740x416
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/10/googles-iron-grip-on-android-controlling-open-source-by-any-means-necessary/
Daily reminder that saying Android is FOSS is meaningless.Freetards if you don't want to be ironic switch to Replicant or if you are a regular person throw away the lagdroid and get a real smartphone like iOS.
>>
>don't be evil
Daily dose thread?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vzyrc5VCP_U
>>
I dont really care about open source software and my s6 doesn't lag.
>>
File: jew_basic.jpg (41 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
jew_basic.jpg
41 KB, 600x600
>>51962673
Be a good goy anon kun.
>>
>>51962698
I did'nt say you should care about freetards.I said to stop deluding yourself it does'nt lag and switch to iOS.The Replicant opinion was to many freetards who ironically uses and promote google.
>>
>>51962727
I've had 3 iphones, all 3 of them work good for like 4-5 months and then apple releases updates that the phone can't actually handle and then they barely work.

>The Replicant opinion was to many freetards who ironically uses and promote google.
quit trying to sound smart, this sentence is retarded
>>
>>51962653
I use noGapps faggot.It gives me all I want senpai.
>>
>>51962653
>get a real smartphone like iOS
iOS is a smartphone?
anyway, I'm poor so no
>>
>>51962771
>quit trying to sound smart, this sentence is retarded
>Freetards use and flash a ROM made by Pajeet that asks if you have a google account at first boot
>No freetards don't promote google
>No Android is not owned by Google
>>51962784
>he actually his own eats shit his own hands
topkek
>>
>>51962837
>he actually eats his own shit with his own hands
ftfy
>>
>>51962814
Found you Pajeet
>>
>>51962837
ya it asks if you have a google account, no time are you forced to make a google account though, it just facilitates a lot of shit. But you dont have to
>>
>>51962653
Only thing I ever wanted Google was for its location services and uG NIP satisfies thats.So you could say I am running a completely google free device
>>
>>51962897
>it facilitates a lot of things
>like better maps
>getting software from app store
>actually using your smartphone as a smartphone and not as an ordinary phone
>>
>>51962898
>>51962784
Are there retards here who actually thinks and uses noGapps and OSM?I used it during my earlier freetard days and was immediate to see it was shit.Now I just use PacRom with Gapps.Closed Source software never felt better.
>>51962653
>real smartphone like iOS
I aam not a faggot
>>
>>51962943
ya exactly. You have to make an account to get shit from the apple store too...

But if you want you could download apps from wherever, they dont have to be from the playstore. So no, you dont have to use it to use your phone as a smartphone, you just have to be smart. Also, google maps has come preloaded on every android phone I've ever seen, but again, you could wipe the phone, root it, and do everything you could ever want without using the playstore, a google account, or a google service at all (last one will be tricky since they basically own the internet, but I still think its technically possible). Quit being a douche, you're so wrong here you're embarrassing yourself.
>>
File: keked.png (162 KB, 780x720) Image search: [Google]
keked.png
162 KB, 780x720
>>51963003
Well Meme'd Pajeet,well meme'd.
>>
>>51963031
So you're basically giving up I take it?
>>
File: 1331524407492.jpg (80 KB, 443x388) Image search: [Google]
1331524407492.jpg
80 KB, 443x388
>get a real smartphone like iOS
>>
I have a cellphone i use as a phone now, how do i turn my old phone into a better computer
i.e. which is a good os
>>
>>51962784
>>51962970

I use no gapps. There is a FOSS alternative to every gapp, and I'd say they're better in every case except for google maps, and possibly gmail from a functional perspective. But if you're running your own email server you can get pretty close.

Of course, if you work or something has a BYOD policy but uses google hangouts or requires any other proprietary app, you're pretty much fucked. I actually run a program on my home server that forwards google hangout messages to my email, and I just set up email forwarding on my work's gmail account despite their policy.

Yes, its hard to protect your freedom on smartphones, but it is possible. I don't really like Android, but the AOSP is the best option we have at the moment.
>>
>>51963031

hes right. linking your google account just helps sync your contacts and other data (which you can still do by downloading the contact file from gmail). But there are alternatives to every google app, including the play store, and gapps are not a critical component, android works fine without it. It actually runs better without gapps, less wake locks from "google play services" which drains battery all day long with no transparency into what its actually doing while your phone should be sleeping.
>>
>>51962837
Go home you're drunk
>>
>>51963306
>Of course, if you work or something has a BYOD policy but uses google hangouts or requires any other proprietary app, you're pretty much fucked
>he actually thinks removing Google will make his device NSA free
>using his smatphone as a phone
typical freetards
>>51963380
Well,what you are saying is for Android to properly function as a smartphone you would need Android + Play Services turning it into battery drain droid.
Why all the hassle?Get a lag free iPhone.
>>
>>51963541
Thats not what he said at all you fucking retard. Android functions perfectly fine with or without using google services. Its just not as convenient because you have to do everything manually.
>>
>>51963541
>that ridiculous straw man
>>
>>51962653
>AOSP isn't open source
apple-m$-shills are full retard, full shill, full crap!
stay strong, comrades.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.