[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I installed Ubuntu on an old shit box my little brother owns.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1
File: ubuntu-logo.jpg (142 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
ubuntu-logo.jpg
142 KB, 1024x768
I installed Ubuntu on an old shit box my little brother owns. I put chromium and wrote some basic package manager commands down for him. How do I keep him hooked on Linux??? He's in 5th grade so it should be easy and rewarding.
>>
>>51957009
Wait until he's at least in 7th. Or have him try to use the shitfest that is Windows past 7.
>>
>>51957036
I think he can handle it, he's a smart kid.
>>
>>51957009
sounds like a good start to me senpai, just keep helping him if/when he wants you to
>>
>>51957009
teach him how he can make these simple package commands simpler by turning them to aliases of his choice, show him a few simple bash scripts that he might found helpful, show him how he can download videos from youtube with youtube-dl... Ask him what he used to do on wangblows, help him find an alternative for it on lanonix.
>>
>>51957090
he runs windows 10 :( and he really likes CSGO. He still falls for memes unfortunately, I wonder how well CSGO runs on GANOO slash LINOOKS
>>
>>51957009

I like Lubuntu a bit better because of the start menu and generally more discoverable UI

Put Minecraft on it. If it's a super shitbox you should put Optifine (mod) on it for him and show him how to lower the resolution to 640x480 before he launches it.

Install Steam, get him Counterstrike: Condition Zero so he can just play against bots.

Set up a comfy Emulationstation + Retroarch launcher for him.

Make him a persistent install on a tiny USB drive so he can bring his "computer" anywhere that lets him smash F2 during boot.

He might not really get what's so great about linux until he spends some time wandering the windows wastelands.

Maybe show him the difference between searching "free music player linux" and "free music player windows".
>>
>>51957133
I'm pretty sure CSGO is available on Steam for Linux - lots of things are, but I recall seeing it there. I've never seen more than a few percent frame drop on Linux over Windows for this kind of stuff now.
>>
>>51957133
CSGO works on linux according to my gaymer friend
>>
>>51957271
I considered Lubuntu, but I just went with Unity Ubuntu instead, he seems to really enjoy the interface, he just doesn't really have anything to do with it. And he also likes Minecraft so I'll definitely do that and install OptiFine.
>>
>>51957133
CS GO is amazing on linux
>>
>>51957342
even on a Sandy Bridge i3 with no GPU? I mean this thing is BAD, the fan is always running, I was actually amazed when I installed Ubuntu on it and the fan was running just as loud as it was on Windows 7
>>
Does anyone know how I can optimize his hardware? He has a Sandy Bridge i3 and 6gb of RAM, no idea why the fan ALWAYS runs.
>>
>>51957358
Wouldn't it have been better if you installed a lighter distro like lubuntu
>>
>>51957358
>>51957466
I'm with this guy, honestly you might just want to install Lubuntu.

If it were for you I'd recommend Debian with LXDE but Debian would be way too easy for a 5th grader to break.
>>
>>51957009
Introduce him to pricing and watch his life go down the gutter

Show him some basic scripting and how you can use it to do neat stuff "wow I can do x, y, and z so easily" etc

Basic shell commands so he can feel cool when he navigates his file system

Maybe setup a server and show all the neat stuff you can do "omg I can control this computer from another one"

Iunno.
>>
>>51957327
Unity works on lubuntu as well, if your pc is having trouble
>>
>>51957327

Yeah I think kids these days are a lot more wlling to pick up new OS's because of phones, tablets, watches. all kinds of shit that has new UIs to figure out.

At this point you can probably just hope to get him to shrug and think linux is just like any other OS, maybe a little worse for games. This normalization is still a huge step more than the 40+ year old normies who don't even realize there's a viable option besides Win/Mac.

He might not really grok the advantages until he gets a little older and it's *his* money on the line when he needs an OS.

Maybe show him how you can turn a $30 virused-out XP or "NO HD NO STICKER" old thinkpad etc into a fully workable machine with linux. Show him how you can get a new battery, charger, and a small SSD all for around $100.

So for the same amount of money, he could either get put windows on a laptop and have to deal with the used battery and slow HDD, or he could use that money to get a sweet extended battery, ram upgrade, and SSD so it boots super fast.

Thinkpad X200 can be found quite cheap on ebay ($30-$60 stripped) and can be a fun project if it's going to end up better than whatever plastic shitbox he has currently.
>>
>>51957009
install racket
>>
>>51957658

This. Show him how cool it is that you can make workable shit out of stuff that other people consider garbage, and how you can set it up as a HTPC, NAS, RAID, server, etc.

ie. shit for free
>>
>>51957068
This. Literally all you need to do. He's going to ask for help no matter what fucking os he's using might as well teach him on one that isn't shit
>>
>>51957305
Linux more frame rates usually. It's all depending on how shit the drivers are for GPU
>>
>>51957009
bet him at night with a steve ballmer mask on shouting : DEVELOPERS! DEVELOPERS!
>>
>>51957398
tlp or so something in the bios or a bug
>>
Thank you guys for the help. I think I'll install Lubuntu later today. Maybe I'll set up a network server as well that he can push files to. Could I make an active directory he can use on his linux box AND his windows machine?
>>
>>51957009
Please, don't pollute children with this cancer. NOT THE CHILDREN
>>
>>51962508

yeah, far better to sell their personal information to russian scammers so they can play SWEET GAMES DUDE

This post brought to you by Mountain Dew^tm, the only approved beverage of Major^tm League^tm Gaming^tm

By reading this post you have consented to our legally-binding EULA, click here for details
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.