[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Backspace
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4
File: 489223-linux-backspace-exploit.jpg (60 KB, 740x417) Image search: [Google]
489223-linux-backspace-exploit.jpg
60 KB, 740x417
>Linux in charge of security

>To quickly check if your system is vulnerable, when the Grub ask you the username, press the Backspace 28 times. If your machine reboots or you get a rescue shell then your Grub is affected

>Exploit Logs You Into Linux Systems After Hitting Backspace 28 Times
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2496870,00.asp

>but..but hurr windows durr 7 is an old operating system and vulnerable and exploits and malware and..
and..
No. Sod off.
>>
>>51954398
>Grub ask you the username
Who the fuck even uses a grub password?
>>
File: 1450314848644.jpg (68 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
1450314848644.jpg
68 KB, 720x540
>>51954398
This requires physical access to the computer.

Unless the machine has full disk encryption, the presence or absence of this exploit won't stop anyone from breaking into your computer using nothing but a thumb drive with a live Linux install on it.

>No. Sod off.
gr8 b8 m8
>>
File: 1450158350961.jpg (868 KB, 1500x1972) Image search: [Google]
1450158350961.jpg
868 KB, 1500x1972
>>51954398
>when the Grub ask you the username
Fucking kek.
>>
>>51954398
it's not linux. it's grub. And I have never heard anyone using a password in Grub anyway, which is why nobody have caught it before. It's a exotic feature nobody uses as part of their security.
>>
>>51954463
Honestly, why did they even put it in there? Is there any theoretical exploit which would only work provided the bootloader is not password locked?
>>
>>51954398
>2008
>using grub

seriously who the fuck still uses grub? it's deprecated and has been for years. it's also slow as shit and prone to breaking when you least expect it.
>>
>>51954771
I'm not up to date with current bootloading technology. What is the new grub? Loli?
>>
>>51954398
Linux is a kernel. You're thinking about GRUB / Linux
>>
>>51954800
No grub is the new grub.
UEFI added support for motherboards to boot operating systems directly from the hard drive without the need of a middleman.
If you need more than one OS, just use more than one drive. If you need more than one OS on one drive, a bootmapper such as rEFInd will work just fine (without being as bloated or buggy as GRUB).
>>
File: wellshit.jpg (54 KB, 500x460) Image search: [Google]
wellshit.jpg
54 KB, 500x460
> be me
> 1337 haxxor
> got physical access to device
> totally gonna hack this shit
> turn on system
> message comes up on my screen
> ENTER GRUB USERNAME AND PASSWORD
> don't have the password
> mfw stopped by grub
>>
>>51954398
But grub isn't Linux?
How exactly is it "Linux in charge of security"?

At least GRUB has a fucking option to set up a password lock screen.
Try to do that with windows bootloader.
Lmao
>>
Posting this over and over doesn't make it less retarded.

>>51954832
Well for nixos, grub can be used to rollback to old configurations.
>>
>>51954893
I agree with you. That being said syskey exists for windows.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.