[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
IRC thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 5
File: IRSSI.png (231 KB, 922x619) Image search: [Google]
IRSSI.png
231 KB, 922x619
Do anyone use IRC anymore? I haven't really used it since the 90s have anything changed? what is the best software to get into it again? Is Irssi any good? It looks cool.

And I have always wondered, do the servers talk to eachother? If I log on to a channel on one server, is it the same as another server? The answer seem obvious, but I never figured that out.
>>
heres 3 scenarios in irc

1) closed off small community of people
2) massive idle channels witrh no one speaking ever except webchat people to join and dc after asking a question
3) the same as above except there's a resident mega loser who loves monologuing inane barely intelligible shit that no one wnats to read
>>
>>51953331
No the networks don't talk to each other you dumbass.
>>
>>51953418
They could have, you faggot. Because often people listed a IRC channel, but not a server. that made me wonder.
>>
I use it to communicate with paying clients. It currently accounts for ~90% of my income.

In comparison Twitter wastes my time and I have never made any money directly or indirectly from messaging on there.

Irc servers on networks are synchronised with each other. Irc servers on different networks are not.
>>
I use it daily, on windows i use hexchat and on android I use atomic.

All the /g/ posters who outgrow this place eventually move to irc. The average age here stays at 17 even though this board has been around for 9 or so years. I swear this board went to shit when the movie "The Social Network" came out, after that everyone and their mom wanted to be a developer and starting flooding this board. This place use to have people who knew how to write code and would troll this board with bots and stuff but no more. Now it's all consumer shit

If you ever grow tired of /g/ OP come to rizon
>>
>>51953456
Technically speaking, IRC's protocol has a system for two daemons to speak to each other and synchronize channels, these are called "networks" of IRC servers.
i.e, a server network.
http://www.irchelp.org/irchelp/rfc/chapter8.html#c8_6

Obviously, a single network doesn't connect to other networks, though.
Networks are controlled and used for load balancing purposes usually.

Here's some cool things to think about, lets say we have 3 servers:
server A, server B, and server C.

Server B and C are both connected to server A.
( C ) ---> ( A ) <--- ( B )

If server A went offline for some reason, server B and C are no longer linked by any servers resulting in a "netsplit".
( C ) -X- -X- ( B )

The IRC network would be split in half and no longer synchronized.
>>
I only use it to take advantage of my Uni's internet and download my moeshit weebtoons.

And sometimes technical help.
>>
>>51953331
>Do anyone use IRC anymore?
Yes but just to download shows with xdcc. I don't talk with anyone there.
>>
>>51953456
99% of the time it's a channel on Freenode. Freenode is the defacto IRC server for some reason.
>>
>>51953331
I haven't used it since I played runescape
>>
>>51953697
why isn't xdcc more popular?
>>
>>51953331
Weechat's my favorite for Lunix
HydraIRC on Win2k->7
AdiIRC on 8\10
>>
irssi is alright but weechat is better, also most of the shit is either on freenode or rizon
>>
>>51954283
Because it's just a glorified and slightly more inconvenient DDL service.
>>
>>51954246
When was the last time you played runescape?
>>
>>51953342
Is it possible to assimilate to modern social media without having any friends?
>>
> penthium
>>
Rizon
#/g/tv
>kek
#/g/tech
>Tech/general discussion
#/w/alls
>animu/offtopic/wallpapers
#/g/punk
>Cyberpunks
#/g/technology
>XENOCOMPUTING ERRYDAY
#rice
>ricetops and ricer accessories
>>
Just go to freenode, all the aspies, weirdos, crazies and autists are there.
>>
>mIRC
30 day trial, WIndows only, runs in WINE, easily cracked, de-facto IRC client
>Hexchat
multi-OS, free reqrite of xchat which is deprecated
>irssi
POSIX-compliant OSes, Cygwin, etc. de-facto CLI-based IRC client
>Weechat
for the cucks that don't like irssi
>AdiIRC
Free Win/Mac(?) client, Linux builds I have no idea about.

>Mibbit
not even once.
there's also a few web-based clients that are actuallly decent-- the one Freenode uses is actually pretty decent if you only need access to one network and one network only.

>Chatzilla
>that retard has to open his web browser to load an IRC client extension!
>chucklingsluts.tga
>>
>>51956470
yes sure

just tweet to random political shit or whatever

people will follow you
>>
It's not dead, just all the normies are gone, basically a paradise.
>>
rizon
#/tv/
#britpol
>>
Use it every day for Twitch.tv.

I lurk in a few of the shadier channels as well.
>>
>>51957478
>de-facto CLI-based IRC client
what does this mean?
>>
>>51957424
witheld here, what the fuck does xenocomouting mean
>>
>>51958805
idling in #horriblesubs isn't shady you silly goose!

>>51958824
It's the most popular terminal-based client
>>
>>51958858
FYI "de facto" (which is 2 words, not hyphenated) is used as an adverb in this case, like "irssi is the de facto standard for irc clients". It's modifying an adjective, not a noun.

saying "irssi is de facto" is like saying "this post is somewhat".
>>
>>51958858
#news to download chink cartoons.
>>
File: lulzfurnet.gif (35 KB, 438x255) Image search: [Google]
lulzfurnet.gif
35 KB, 438x255
>>
>>51958890
Are you retarded? "Standard" is a noun.
>>
>>51953331
>Do anyone use IRC anymore?

daily
it's the only mean of communication with some people
>>
I use IRC, mostly on small private channels on small private networks.
>>
>>51953331
Yes, weechat-curses (or HexChat for GUI). Irssi is also good. Depends on how you define servers. The do talk to each other when they are on the same network. Networks don't crosstalk though.

IRC is not dead. There are still many very active channels out there. Freenode for example if you are into free software or rizon for anime and manga. A shitload of warez networks. Want something else? Undernet, IRCnet, RUnet, EFnet. I still use bouncers or tmux for my ircing needs.
>>
>>51961445
I just installed weechat. how do you find servers to log on to? last time i used irc i used mIRC and the servers were automatically loaded
>>
>>51961483
/server irc.undernet.org
>>
>>51953388
/thread
>>
>>51953510
How can one make money from irc?

Not that I want to try it, I have enough money, but just curious
>>
>>51953331
milliways > irc

sucs.org/mw
>>
>>51953388
Exactly this. The only two active channels I'm on are two different friend groups that I've been in for over a decade, one for people I used to go to school with and the other one my previous CS clan/WoW guild. Everything else I quit because they were 2).

If you join IRC now, I don't think you can really get anything out of it, but I couldn't think living without it as it gives me an instant access to nearly 20 friends I wouldn't be in contact with otherwise.
>>
>>51953510
what business are you in?
>>
>>51961717
>How can one make money from irc?

answer 1: you can't
https://encyclopediadramatica.se/Robert_Levin

answer 2: you can
https://slack.com/
>>
>>51961776
>this nigger
>>
>>51961747
wtf is that
>>
XMPP > IRC
>>
>>51962210
These are not equivalent or similar protocols in their features or usage
>>
>>51962243
explain
>>
>>51962253
They are not used in the same way and do not have the same features
>>
>>51962260
xmpp is used for groupchats
irc is used for groupchats
>>
>>51962275
channels are not group chats and do not function the same or similarly
>>
discord>irc
IRC is deprecated bullshit
>>
Meh, I still find IRC quite useful. A lot of people stil use it, and it's the perfect place to ask and receive help on yechnical questions (#java, #c, #python, #archlinux. #manjaro, #go-nuts)
>>
>>51962301
no its not
>>
>>51956470
essential question
>>
>>51957555
>people will follow you
i-i don't want that
>>
>>51962301
>buzzwording
>closed source
>no ads
I don't see how this could go wrong, anon considering it costs them money to develop and host all this how are they making money?
>>
>>51962957
>how are they making money

CISA, they sell everything you input into their service to those who will buy.
>>
>>51962979
either that or malware, that's why I won't use it
>>
>>51962676
I don't think you get the concept of social media
>>
>>51953331
I use it to talk to my hacker friends.
>>
Is there some sort of cross-server directory that lets you browse channels by topic, maybe including reviews or something? Christ there's so many servers it's exhausting trying to find "the best server+channel to discuss X".
>>
>>51963211
sort of..

http://irc.netsplit.de/
>>
File: 7jV2.png (271 KB, 782x608) Image search: [Google]
7jV2.png
271 KB, 782x608
>>
>>51963244
Actually pretty nice. The search is a bit wonky but pretty good, plus it shows usercounts which is helpful. Thanks.
>>
>>51957424
#/g/punk is populated exclusively by uneducated subhumans and literal 14 year olds.
>>
>>51953565
>rizon
fucking lol
>>
big time irc name here ama
>>
Yeah I do. It's the one thing that I never stopped using. Nothing can truly replace it
>>
I only use it to download scene releases

I hate socializing on the internet
>>
It's still the preferred method of communication at my university. I like it.
>>
>>51953388
tfw im the third one
>>
I idle in technical/support channels. Occasionally I can help someone, occasionally I get introduced to something neat that someone else is working on.

>>51964685
We used to hang in a channel during class, it was great times. A lot of it was mocking the professors.
>>
>>51953331
irssi master race here

And yes, IRC is alive and well. If you're developing something or need help with something technical in one the development communities, IRC is the place to go. Posting a thread on a forum is a waste of time in that case.
>>
>>51964573
Why are you so gay, Deezenuts?
>>
irc.srsfckn.biz

#xenn.org
>>
>>51964527
So is /g/. Your point?
>>
>>51967318
Heads up, this is a gay RP channel and server.
>>
>>51953342
>dead move on to twitter alread
>twitch is dead.
you fucked up.
>>
File: not an ircm logo.png (152 KB, 825x825) Image search: [Google]
not an ircm logo.png
152 KB, 825x825
>>51953331
I use IRC daily. I started working on an IRC daemon named ircm too.

irssi doesn't have good IRCv3 support yet.
>>
>>51962301

You mean that proprietory shit that sells your info to make money and is based off of the irc protocol? Oh yeah, thats _so_ much better.
>>
I use mirc or irssi. Couldn't help but notice no one mentioned kvirc though. Pretty decent multi platform client. I mainly use irc for downloading movies. I'll bullshit with people sometimes though.
>>
I've used it a few times here and there over the years but not for long.

The last time I used irc for any period of time on regular basis was the late 90's, mIRC was pretty much where to be to chat with friends before MSN messenger cam along.
>>
>>51967835
And the funny thing is, now it might take over again.
>>
OP here... Installed WeeChat and went on freenode. Much more active than I anticipated, but mostly computer related stuff. good to be back.
>>
>>51968921
glad to hear it. have a good time.
>>
File: 1423035061303.jpg (28 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1423035061303.jpg
28 KB, 480x360
>watch vid on youtube someone recorded of them surfing internet/IRC in 1998

>connect to irc channel and same people there
>>
>>51967139
fucking deezenuts, i remember him from rizon : I
>>
what does your favourite irc bot do, /g/?
>>
#pasta channel best channel
>>
>>51969792
http://idlerpg.net/
>>
>>51969143
wat channel/server
>>
>>51961189
"standard" has both a noun and adjective form, in the example he gave "the de facto standard" it is definitely a noun. And in the original case, "de-facto CLI-based IRC client," (sic) obviously "de facto" is misused here. It's basically the same as stating: "Effectively CLI-based IRC client." It means nothing, or could only be interpreted in a way that is obviously incorrect.
>>
>>51969869
#3Dfx @ EFNet
he saw this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWq4DWfrpu8
>>
irc has more spergs than 4chan, i used go fuck around on efnet back in the day but these days 4chan is enough autism for me
>>
>>51969143
bro irc is even more of a "you never leave" than 4chan...but the difference is no one new ever comes to irc these days so every is like average age 40...
>>
>>51957478
>>irssi
>POSIX-compliant OSes, Cygwin, etc. de-facto CLI-based IRC client

not BitchX

kill urselfs
>>
Currently active on #/TV/ on ruzon where I am incredibly important.
>>
>>51953802
Freenode is popular for open source projects. Reddit also was on freenode but I think they moved to snoonet. Rizon is popular among the 4chan crowd, with some fairly decent channels.

>>51970374
weechat > *
(for *nix)
Hexchat > *
(for Windows)
Textual (costs $) > weechat > *
(for OS X)
>>
Mostly use it for anime file gets on Rizon, as well as chatting in it's various anime/hentai related channels.

Worst part is people who come into a channel, say "hi", and leave in 5min because no one answered. You should wait at least an hour or more for a reply. Conversations occassionally happen, but they may be hours, sometimes days appart. Therefore, if you find an interesting channel to a topic of interest, stay there at least a week before declaring it dead. Use IRC searches to find channels by keywords. They exist for pretty much everything.
>>
>>51970419
freenode is so fucking stupid, it was ok a long ass time ago before they started using that stupid non-rfc compliant daemon with that dumb channel forwarding crap...i think it must have been at least 10 years since i had a productive or even interesting interaction on that dump
>>
>>51968921
freenode is for autism
you want rizon, the shitposting network
>>
>>51970559
ircnet for life, it even has anonymous channels
>>
cock.li
>>
>>51970282
Holy shit, that HiVolt dude is *still* there. Right now.
>>
private trackers have decent channels tbqh
>>
>>51971600

Heard about him. They don't call him "HiVolt" for nothing, back in 1998 he accidentally overclocked his PC so hard the socket fused and broke though unleashing 90,000 volts into his body transporting him into cyberspace thus immortalizing himself in IRC. Now he spends his time in legacy IRC channels telling people about the dark times of IRC and how he saved it from complete obliteration from the proprietary anti-GNU networks - by him repositioning the volts to the Earth's axis leading to a wormhole whic today mirrors to the IRC protocol keeping it well adjusted and in use. We should all join that channel and praise him for what he did to keep us on IRC today.
>>
>>51972126
faggot
Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.