[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /g/ I want to try Linux (still don't know if I should
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
Hi /g/ I want to try Linux (still don't know if I should choose ubuntu or debian), and I want to ask you if it's possible to have windows installed at 1st hdd and linux at 2nd hdd and have dual-boot choice at computer start? I know it's possible when I would have 2 systems at 1 disk, but I want to seperate it.
>>
>>51951982
Look into "grub" bootloader. It is pretty versatile and can do what you want.
>>
>>51951982

yes, absolutely. When you're installing something like ubuntu then it will automatically add the windows loader to the grub list.
>>
>>51951982
yOU sHOULD iNSTALL gENTOO
>>
>>51952064
nICE cAPS lOCK aNON
>>
>>51952064
why? I want to learn first, I've never used linux except in school few times...
>>
>>51952166
Welcome to /g/ anon. Also, nice dubs.
>>
Is installing gentoo a meme?
The installation process is really long, I wonder if Arch would be better
>>
>>51951982
Start with Xubuntu or mint.
>>
look at different flavours of ubuntu, you have xubuntu, lubuntu and ubuntu gnome and the regular ubuntu. see what you think looks best and go from there. you should really look into mint as well. great distro for anyone even beginners.
>>
>>51951982
Yeah any non-shitty bootloader can chain boot other bootloaders

Just make sure that you are setting your BIOS to boot off of the Linux drive and have a Windows entry in your bootloader's config
>>
and now you confused me.... I was only thinking about debian or ubuntu ...
>>
>>51952608
This.
>>
>>51951982
Yes, it's possible. Install Windows on 1 HDD, install Linux on 2nd HDD. The Ubuntu/Debian installer will very likely pick up Windows too, so booting through GRUB will offer you the option to boot either OS. Also, if your motherboard has one, you should be able to bring up its own boot device selection menu and choose the HDD to boot directly.
>>
>>51952591
No, Gentoo is actually a very good distro, and you will learn a lot just by using it. You just need an abundance of free time to do anything with it.
>>
>>51953135
Cannot I customize every Linux distro as I want?
>>
I'm looking to install Linux on a 2nd hard drive too. What distro is the best if I want to play games?

I'd like to ween myself off Windows for everyday use, maybe build a new machine just for gaming that I'll use Windows on.
>>
>>51951982
>>51953359

I bought a 2nd hard drive and installed Linux. Didn't want to touch my windows drive.

I would recommend Ubuntu. Just download the ISO, burn it to a disc or make a live USB. Check out the live system or just install it on your 2nd HDD. It's a super easy install, it'll guide you.

Of course SteamOS would be the best bet for gaming on Linux. I'm not sure of the install process, I'm sure it's easy though.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot
>>
>>51953215
Sure you can, it just comes in different degrees. Gentoo offers the most. It's difficulty is why it is a meme.
Gentoo is second only to LFS
>>
>>51953480
Well really a better thing to do for gaming would be to just wait, lay games on Windows, and the moment he's savvy enough; dedicate his entire GPU to vm of windows and run linux off his integrated.

Thats called "VGA passthrough" fyi OP
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.