[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does any one else here buy a new computer every year?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4
File: image.png (356 KB, 658x357) Image search: [Google]
image.png
356 KB, 658x357
Does any one else here buy a new computer every year?
>>
No, what a waste of money. if you buy a good computer then it will last.
>>
why do you keep posting this faggot? who is he?
>>
No. I buy computers that are perfectly good for years.
>>
>>51950888
It's a mere coincidence, but I have gotten a new computer for the past 3 years. They've not been replacements for the previous though.
>>
>>51950933
One of these singers that kids today jerk off to.
>>
A good computer should last you at least 10 years with the current technology climate unless you're a gamer manchild.
>>
>>51950888
No, it's pointless with CPUs not really having improved since Sandy Bridge
>>
I buy it every 6-8 years
>>
>>51950888
I haven't bought a new computer in five years, and probably never will again. It's a waste of money for diminishing returns.
>>
I bought new pc last year. Before that it was 2002 the last time i bought it
>>
>>51950888
yes, because I keep needing more for different things
>2 servers
>1 desktop
>1 htpc
>1 laptop
right now, I need a test machine, getting tired of using qemu
>>
>>51950933
They call him ali boulala
>>
>>51950961
this. I built a computer 2 years ago and with the exception of a video card to drive some 4k monitors and more RAM for (social) network analysis (nodes & edges, not "pretext for playing WoW" or whatever kids play these days), my computer hasn't needed anything since. I doubt very much that I'll buy anything to replace any of the components in this computer (except for hard drives which I expect to fail in under 10 years, just because that's life).
>>
File: 1372132583242.jpg (160 KB, 1024x575) Image search: [Google]
1372132583242.jpg
160 KB, 1024x575
I've been using this computer for the last 5 years.
>>
Nope. Try every 4-5 years and never something pricey. Around 600€ worth of hardware, enough to get by.
>>
I've done nothing but upgrade components from a dumb prebuilt for the past 7-8 years.
There's nothing left of the original build, save for a HDD I put in my server, but it still feels like the same old PC. Now that I think about it, feels weird, man.
>>
Itt: people who buy AMD shit
>>
>>51950888
I only replaced my 2006 laptop this August.
>>
>>51950888
I don't just buy a new pc every year but I buy a new one every other year as well.
>>
>>51950888
ya man every year i buy latest compaq presario is real good profesional computer for computer pros like myself
>>
I do. And im actually quite disappointed that im not getti g the performance i want despite spending so much cash and time OC'ing to perfection.

Better video cards need to get here quick. This current gen is pissing me off.
>>
>>51950888
Can't say that i do.
>>
>>51950888
Are you physically able to open the fucking case faggot? Buying a new PC every year is a waste of money
>>
I only ever bought 2:

2003 desktop and 2008 laptop.
Sold my desktop in 2013, have my laptop still. It's C2D with 4GB RAM, SSD and 1920x1200 display. This is mighty fine for my needs. I expect it to last until 2018, then I'll upgrade.

I also have T440 issued from work but I never take it home.
>>
>>51952574
>opening the case

Enjoy your voided warranty, faggot.
>>
File: 1450210916535s.jpg (5 KB, 248x250) Image search: [Google]
1450210916535s.jpg
5 KB, 248x250
>>51953133
nice meme friendo :^)))
>>
>>51950888
i had my i5 3570 and gtx660 since 2013.
>>
>>51953166
It's not a "meme", it's written right there on the sticker.
>>
>>51950975
That's what I call ur mum in bed.
>>
>>51950933
He's the kinda nigga to suck a dick then say thank you and wave goodbye
>>
>>51950888

Nope

A great PC build should satiate your gaming chops for a good 5 years or so, and your peripherals, if you're not OCD, should last even longer.

My last two rigs lasted about 3-4 years a pop, having only sold them as I felt it was time to upgrade - generally because of a new AAA title that required the latest and greatest to look good.

The first rig had a Q6600 in it, can't remember what GPU. I seem to recall it was a 8800GTX or something but I might be wrong. That hung around for a while until I wanted to build a nice big watercooled rig so it got the flick.

The rig after that was a 2600K and crossfire 6970s - they hung around for some time, but then sold them for a GTX970 so I could play GTAV. GTX970 recently died, so I've sold off the whole rig - as I have a kid now and don't really have the time for gaymen - and am going to slowly build up another rig.

Already have a NCase v5 on pre-order, new mouse, keyboard, just ordered a O2+ODAC, have a pair of HD650s and will change over the Q270 Catleap I have for a Acer Predator at some point.

Still debating if I should go Jewtel Skylake or if I should wait for AMD to pull their finger out of their minge and release Zen. As for GPUs, currently I have no idea - I want to go for a Fury X but we all know 4GB of VRAM just ain't gonna cut it.
>>
>>51953467
Hope you don't mind waiting a year for Zen. 4gb of HBM is a little better, than ddr5 or whatever desu.
>>
yes, I strive to own every macbook
>>
>>51953226
Who the fuck buy a pre-built system?
>>
>>51953849
We can't all have PhDs in computer science
>>
>>51950888
I too like Drake

I picked up a new thinkpad a few weeks ago and I reckon it'll last me a few years considering its modularity especially in regards to its battery
>>
>>51952363
>compaq
>profesional
>not using alienware
>>
>>51954253
anon doesn't have enough time to search "how to add more RAM" in the search bar
>>
>>51950933
>basementdwelller/10

Do you live under a rock?
>>
>>51950933
>who is he?
>mfw
>mfw
>>
The computer that I use? No. I used to because I kept buying shit hardware but then I finally spent a little bit extra and bought a 'premium' machine. It's gone two years so far with no issue and I fully expect another two-three. I did recently replace the SSD but that's only because I got a new samsung evo 850 for $30. And last year I replaced the HDD because I rotate my drives (drive was two years old in a one year old pc) and I almost never replace the drive when I replace the computer.

Hobby PCs? I probably buy a new one every few months. This year I purchased two UMPCs (I resold one for 300% profit), a tablet, and in the near future I will be purchasing some parts to assemble a server. I've also purchased four smart phones. One is a gift, one is a spare, one is my dd, and the last one I might sell. I've spent about $130 on phones.
>>
No, I usually wait 3-5 years on average for several reasons.

>The gains you get for new PC tech is not all that great if you do it on a yearly basis.
>It is a waste of money
>I like emerging tech to grow before adopting it in whatever build I am doing (For example: Closed loop liquid coolers & SSD were both starting to come out during my previous build. Both have evolved greatly since then and are more reliable). Same goes for new socket type CPU's like Skylake.
>Tech on the desktop side has honestly not evolved much since 2009-2010. A decent build from that era will last you a long time unless you are doing stuff like rendering videos/etc.

Then again, I usually do incremental updates throughout the systems life (Usually a new video card every 2 or so years and a new build every 5).
>>
>>51958441
>>51957670

>have no idea who this nigger is
>reverse image search says he is this "drake" I hear 15 year olds talk about

meh
>>
>>51950933
Niggerjew
>>
>>51958812
He's really good if you're into that kind of stuff. He released one of the most critically acclaimed album this year too

Too come back on-topic, I do it like every 5 years or so. Both for my laptop and my desktop though.
I don't really replace parts, only if something broke down or if I have not enough space / ram for my needs.
>>
>>51960269
drake? that was actually my first guess
>>
>>51950888
I would if I had LOADSOMONEYYYy. Or at least I'd upgrade yearly...
>>
>>51950888
I buy two iPads every year for multitasking.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.