[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ok /g/ here is the deal >is CS really a meme degree? I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
File: 1447612414897.png (316 KB, 516x526) Image search: [Google]
1447612414897.png
316 KB, 516x526
Ok /g/ here is the deal

>is CS really a meme degree?

I'm doing a double major in math and CS right now. Second question

>should I minor in anything?
>>
I have a Master's in math.

I will tell you right now that your math major is impressive but meaningless by itself. It might get you jobs, but nothing specialized, which most decent jobs are. You must develop a skillset for the math degree to supplement.

CS is a very vague term and varies from school to school. As long as you develop fluency in some programming languages and build up a bunch of shit you can show employers (github, whatever), you can get any programming job with that dual major.

A "meme" major is not a real thing. There are majors that are studied out of academic interest and passion that yield little true skills. Math and CS are not quite those, but they are very theoretical.

Just develop practical knowledge and experience on your own time and you will perfectly fine.
>>
>>51949703
If I wanted to get into cryptography I would go to grad school for CS?
>>
>>51949703
literally this
a degree is nice and the CS meme meme has some ground imo simply due to the fact that it does not require many resources to learn yourself, unlike a chemistry lab or machine shop or whatever, but a decent GPA in CS will help get your foot in the door and experience is literally everything
>>
>>51949611
It is a meme field people are approaching, but its not a meme degree because people get weeded out in the intro classes.
Most people don't understand basic math and additionally can't understand syntax and semantics for languages like python. You'll always have a bunch of people in CS freshman year and the lecture halls might be crowded as hell, but the numbers always dwindle drastically by the second year, though it still may be a bit crowded depending on where you are. By your junior and senior years you're taking classes with the same group of people over and over, and never see anyone new. Among the people you take classes with over and over again, a solid number of them will be debating on dropping out of school and getting an internship while they still can, because the classwork and exams are getting hard as fuck, and tenured/research proffesors dont give a fuck about how their classes grade out. Most of them are only at the Uni to do research, and they teach because they have an obligation to their department to get off the computers and into the classrooms every now and then.
>>
>>51949611
>is CS really a meme degree?
yes
>>
Yes. Go to a technical college and learn something that will actually get you a job.
>>
>>51949740

You would want to get into a program that focuses on Cryptography. Not any old general program. It could be an Applied Math, Math, Computer Science, Information Theory program... the actual degree title isn't important in that sort of niche graduate thing.
>>
File: 1446602593024.jpg (6 KB, 250x240) Image search: [Google]
1446602593024.jpg
6 KB, 250x240
>>51949813
Drop out of University of Florida for tech school
>what.gif
>>
>>51949611
That depends, are they teaching you how to program really well or are they teaching you how to "write enterprise level software"? In case of the latter, get the fuck out of there before it's too late.
>>
>>51949611
Its a meme degree if you let it be one. If you know concrete math you'll be fine.
>>
>>51949611
As someone not from US: the fuck is a minor?
>in b4 it's another word for underage
>>
>>51949611
1. Yes

2. No employer cares about any minor you have. Or rather if your minor actually matter, it's probably because you picked a bad major
>>
>>51949994
it's a curriculum that you do concurrently with your major/field of study/concentration (whatever you want to call it.) Depends on the school of course, but I'll use mine as an example:

For a math minor, I must take 2 specific math courses prescribed by the minor. I am then free to take 2 other math courses from a list of satisfying courses. These four courses comprise my math minor.

As a funny aside, it's actually impossible to minor at math and major in CS at my school because one of the required courses for the math minor is a required course for the CS major and they cannot overlap. :^)
>>
>>51949611
Who is the kid in this picture.

Looks almost exactly like me when I was younger. The only way I can tell it isn't a picture of me are the glasses, I never had that style.
>>
>>51950049
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6F5dfDm9hk
>this is the kid
>>
>>51950049
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IVJVTUNl0I
Autist vs normalfag. You were the autist Tbh
>>
>>51950049
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYPhXA2zHCU
>>
>>51950049
>>
>>51949860
I'm graduating in half the time as you with a practical degree and required internship. Good luck with the job hunt buddy.
>>
>>51949813
>computer engineering won't yield an actual job
Sorry I'm not a retarded shit like you.
>>
File: 1450468177791.png (570 KB, 781x726) Image search: [Google]
1450468177791.png
570 KB, 781x726
>>51951503
Pretty confident someone with a double major in math and CS can find a job quickly. I have my school paid for as well
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.