[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Learning Linux
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: My Background.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
My Background.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1440
Hey guys, so basically I wanna learn some more advanced "stuff" about Linux, well I've been wanting to do this for a while now but I've been noticing my windows 7 getting progressively slower and more painful to boot up, so I've been thinking about installing some Linux distro that's a bit more advanced/harder to use as I like to learn more about computers in general as much as I can.

I have already tried Ubuntu, Linux Mint and Kali Linux on multiple occasions in the past year (had to use a less demanding OS to do anything on a laptop I had, Vista couldn't run jack shit) and liked dealing with the challenges that Linux can bring you.

If any of you can suggest a distro that is a step up (or maybe a couple) from the distros I've listed that will let me mess around a little and not completely destroy my system, thanks anon[s]!
>>
Linux isn't a special retard OS. If you want to mess around: do it on the computer of a guy you hate.
>>
>If any of you can suggest a distro that is a step up (or maybe a couple) from the distros I've listed that will let me mess around a little and not completely destroy my system, thanks anon[s]!
>...let me mess around... and not completely destroy my system...
> Implying fucking you system isn't Linux way of doing things.
>>
>>51944672
backup, reformat, reinstall your windows.
then run linux in a VM.
>>
>>51944672

If your Linux installation is not broken you're running OSX
>>
>>51944672
>If any of you can suggest a distro that is a step up (or maybe a couple) from the distros I've listed that will let me mess around a little and not completely destroy my system, thanks anon[s]!
If it doesn't let you fuck up your system, then it can't be even called Linux.
>>
>>51944769
>>51944749
>>51944732
Alright I didn't literally mean no fuck ups to my system honestley a few fuck ups would be cool with me as the process of fixing them is really educational.
>>
If you mess around then you are going to destroy your computer. If you want to mess around, do it in a virtual machine. Any distro can install the same stuff. Just go for a distro you think looks good, installing arch will probably teach you a thing or two (for example not to trust people who say you just need to read the wiki. The wiki already assume you are a expert and won't explain partitioning or how to set up your WiFi properly if you have a problem with WiFi and ethernet.)
>>
>>51944958
Alright thanks for the suggestion
>>
>>51944672
What do you mean advanced stuff? Btw I think you could learn a lot by picking up shell scripting.
I've also heard that this is a good resource: https://nixsrv.com/llthw
>>
Linux in a nutshell 6th edition. It will cover any and everything you could possibly want/need/have to do in a Linux OS.

Get the PDF. Get the book. Whatever your preference. I have both.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.