[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will they ever figure out a way to block automatic updates in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 7
File: windows-10-logo-featured.jpg (36 KB, 691x400) Image search: [Google]
windows-10-logo-featured.jpg
36 KB, 691x400
Will they ever figure out a way to block automatic updates in Windows 10? Not "deferred", but completely and totally block.

I'm on LTSB N with deferred updates enabled and all of Rajeet's scripts run, but these automatic updates have me seriously considering going back to 7. For example, I lost all of my custom trackpad settings recently when Windows 10 decided the driver software needed to be updated (it didn't, it was fine). Not a big deal one time, but we all know they'll eventually un-do the pseudo-privacy scripts some of us employ.

What do you think the odds are?
>>
>>51941893
1st for botnet.
>>
>>51941893
Holy shit is it that difficult for normies to turn off the Windows Update service?
>>
File: a.png (84 KB, 621x818) Image search: [Google]
a.png
84 KB, 621x818
>>51941893
It's not that hard you degenerate
>>
File: bait.jpg (27 KB, 600x337) Image search: [Google]
bait.jpg
27 KB, 600x337
>>51941893
>services.msc
>windows update
>right click
>disable
>>
>>51941976
It's not possible unless you have the enterprise version
>>
>>51941893
Keep backups of any configuration. You are bound to keep getting forced updates. Microsoft says you can not turn it off unless you pay the extra money to get the enterprise version. If anyone find a script then Microsoft will "fix" it at some point and then you need to find a new script. Just live with it, use Windows for gaymen and specific software and dual boot Linux for your day to day surfing, email and writing docs or whatever else.
>>
File: rendszergazda.jpg (32 KB, 500x380) Image search: [Google]
rendszergazda.jpg
32 KB, 500x380
>>51941893
just disconnect yourself from the web... to be extra safe.
>>
>>51942658
they can still access you hdd even if your pc is off
>>
I still don't understand why all of you paranoid fucks keep installing windows 10 and then attempting to remove the spyware.
>>
>>51942615
I've been running Home edition.
No updates, and no automatic restarts.

See >>51942064 and >>51942239
>>
>>51942724
pretty much this

either go w7 for less spyware and >games or ganoo
>>
So just now I booted up my laptop and it told me it was gonna update in fifteen minutes. After that, it started an update that took a whopping two hours. Did this happen to anyone else? I don't mind long updates if they allow me to wait until I want to turn off my device anyways, but forcing me to wait for two hours when I just want to start using my laptop is not okay.
>>
If you really cared about security and privacy, you wouldn't be using (any) Windows in the first place, so what does it matter that Bill Gates reads your web history before sleep?
>>
>>51944765
Two hours? Are you on a 3200 rpm HDD? Even the 1511 update, which basically reinstalls the whole OS as a new version, took less than 30 minutes for me.
>>
>>51941893
if you are running win home, you're fucked.

pirate 8.1 pro, legit it with KMS, upgrade to win 10 pro that way.

if you have pro or enterprise you can either:
1. disable the windows update service
2. disable the group policy settings regarding win update

i think enterprise lets you fully disable updates.

but yeh.

>>51944765
welcome to hell.

>>51944790
because my windows pro 4 came bundled with windows 10 by default.
and because i dont like the inconvenience of updates, the backgorund bandwidtrh usage and the fact that it eats up my system resources wasting precious battery life?

I actually made a list of things to disable on windows 10 professional edition.

list to follow:
>>
During setup:
DISCONNECT FROM INTERNET - automatically makes local account - stops data transfer during setup and when you start up
- Customise settings:
personalization
typing
advertising ID

auto connect open hotspot
auto connect network shared by contacts
auto connect hotspot temp
error and diagnostics info to microsoft

smartscreen
page prediction
updates to and from other PCs on the internet

In services:

Connected User Experience - Dataminer
Diagnostic Policy service - eats up RAM, generally useless and fails to detect problem
Network Communication broker - Windows store app auto update and ads
?Windows Search - Indexing causes sporadic spikes in CPU use - may lead to overheats, disables search

In settings: (NOT CONTROL PANEL)
System - Offline maps - Autoupdate Maps - eats bandwidth
Personalization - Start - Occasionally show suggestions in start - In Operating System Ads
Privacy - General - Locally relevant content by accessing language list
Privacy - Other devices - Sync with devices
Privacy - Feedback and Diagnostics - ask for my feedback
Privacy - Diagnostic and Usage Data - Send device data to microsoft (Note no "none" option - fixed in services unde)
Privacy - Background apps: Get office, Groove Music, Store, Xbox
Updates - Advanced Options - Defer upgrades, notify to schedule restart ( fixed in group policy)
Updates - Windows Defender - Real time Protection (fix to permenant in group policy), Cloud based protection - dataminer, Sample submission
Updates - for devlopers - developer mode (windows wont let you use some third party apps)

Search Bar Settings: (click on search bar)
Include Web Results
Turn Cortana off - Dataminer

Command prompt to dos:
sc delete DiagTrack - background dataminer
sc delete dmwappushservice - bult in keylogger
echo "" >C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Diagnosis\ETLLogs\AutoLogger\Diagtrack-Listener.etl

to do in group policy:
>>
>>51944795
No, it's a 5400rpm drive. It is pretty full, though, which is why it probably would've been nice if Windows had warned me to clear up some disk space before forcing this update to start.
>>
>>51944834

Group Policy:
Computer Configuration - Windows Components:
Application Compatibility - telemtry, Inventory Collector
Cloud Content - Microsoft Consumer Experiences
Game Explorer - Game Updates, Game Information
Maps - Automatic download and update of map data
Microsoft Edge - Do not track headers
OneDrive - Prevent storage
Search:
Set what info is shared
Prevent indexing on battery
Office outlook
Offline files cache
e-mail attachments
certain paths
Web search results
Store:
update to latest version of Windows
TUrn off automatic download nad install of updates
Sync your settings:
do not sync
Windows Defender:
Turn off Routine remediation
Auto send memory dump

the above 2 posts allow you to:
1. disable indexing, which eats up a shitload of ram
2. disable automatic updates
3. disable a lot of the background keylogging that goes on
4. disable ads in win marketplace. (or at least, the personalized ones)
5. disable windows defender real time - eats up a shitload of resources
6. disable inbuilt onedrive ( i use dropbox, no sense having both use up system resources)
>>
File: 1376187423352.jpg (47 KB, 500x491) Image search: [Google]
1376187423352.jpg
47 KB, 500x491
Can't you just block update server on router level?
>>
>>51944861
it would be tricky.

windows lets your machine basically "torrent" windows updates from nearby machines.

its definately at a network level, not sure if its at an internet wide level.
blocking it would be tricky.

>tfw you signed up your bandwidth too
>>
File: ballmer.jpg (158 KB, 1200x675) Image search: [Google]
ballmer.jpg
158 KB, 1200x675
>Not using Windows Insider preview on the fast ring
>>
>>51941893
https://youtu.be/pjj9newZBp0

The principle is the same.
>>
>>51944834
And repeat after every update.

Or just accept the botnet and use Windows only for gaymen and Linux for your daily os.
>>
>>51944843
You had enough disk space to run it.
But yeah, it's doing a complete install of Windows, reading and writing from the same drive, basically, which works terrible on any HDD. It would've have been nice if it told you that you can use the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to make a USB stick to install the Windows upgrade from.
>>
File: 1376187257210.jpg (136 KB, 848x463) Image search: [Google]
1376187257210.jpg
136 KB, 848x463
>>51944874
Woah what the fuck. Who the fuck though that this was a good idea?
>>
>>51944886
no.... just never update is all.

>>51944900
because it takes the pressure off windows servers?
>>
>updates are bad

Oh wow

the retardism of /g/ never fails to amaze me lol
>>
>>51944900
It's a very good idea, actually. Instead of straining both Microsoft's network, and the data caps of families with multiple computers, only one computer downloads the updates from the Internet, and then shares them with the other local computers.
>>
>>51944909
shill spotted.

>generic opinion
>targets the demographic instead of the point of view

fuck off

-shillpatrol
>>
>>51944926
yes good goy

how is that windows xp with no service pack playing out for you?
>>
Ever heard of WSUS?
>>
>>51944894
I think so. I had about 10GB free. I'm not that concerned with the update being forced, but that it just starts fifteen minutes after booting up my PC instead of allowing me to run it when I need to shut down anyways.
>>
>>51944940
see>>51944943

we listed plenty reasons why windows updates are shit.

you list none.

fuck off shill.

-shillpatrol
>>
>>51944908
>>51944918
That's like paying for Xbox Live or PSN for supposedly better multiplayer and all games are peer2peer anyway.

Fuck off shill
>>
>>51944951
I think it should be obvious:

they fix security holes that would get exploited by malware

but enjoy your botnet in your botnet lol
>>
>>51944968
this

people are going to end up having a russian botnet inside their microsoft/nsa botnet
>>
>>51944967
i agree with you.
its one of the things i hate about windows 10.

also fun fact, there's a background application that catalogues all keystrokes you make and shoots it off straight to microsofts servers.

they dont even need your browsing history anymore!

>>51944968
how does the malware get there in the first place if you are careful enough?
at a certain point, the downsides outweigh the benefits.
that point is where one is smart enough to use COMMON SENSE when it comes to installing shit downloaded from a random website.
>>
>>51944986
>how does the malware get there in the first place if you are careful enough?
through the security holes I just mentioned?!

>at a certain point, the downsides outweigh the benefits.
1 Update like once or twice a month, taking you 5 minutes to apply by restarting your computer while you can finger your ass or dig your nose

>that point is where one is smart enough to use COMMON SENSE when it comes to installing shit downloaded from a random website.
Uhhhh yeah sure. Sounds like massive cognitive dissonance. Have you ever heard of computer worms? or driveby downloads?
>>
>update failed to install three times
>finally works
>"We've got some exciting new features!"
>CCleaner and Speccy removed automatically
>no new features

I wonder if it's too late to roll back to Windows 7
>>
>>51945025
>speccy
>software from 2013 with no updates

http://www.hwinfo.com/ get hwinfo instead
>>
>>51945023
i visit dodgy website. i get virus. virus exploit security issues, computer is kill.

i dont visit dodgy website, i dont get virus, nothing happens.

its called common sense.
use it you fucking waste of space.

the poor anon here just said he took 2 fucking hours to update, and it delayed his use of the computer.
its called productivity. you fucking retard. even 1 minute of update time is wasted time.

you're just clutching at strings now.

common sense includes enabling scripts on select pages retard.

as for computer worms, those are rare enough as they are. firewalls exist for a reason.

>>51945025
yeah.... they decided that most hardware monitoring software isnt compatible.
dont take the update bait.

remember that one update for win 7 and 8 that came with the popup for win 10?
kinda like that.

they could, in theory, one day decide to crash your comp for the lulz through an update. and theres nothing you can do about it
>>
>>51945075
>the poor anon here just said he took 2 fucking hours to update, and it delayed his use of the computer.
this is what happens if you postpone updates indefinitely: they all get downloaded at once
>>
Whatever happened to updates installing when you shut down and turn on your computer? Why does it have to be a fucking restart now?
>>
>>51945097
it still does that, at least for me. just get the pro version if you are a pro and able to manage updates on your own.

problem is that most people are retards like >>51945075 who think "UPDATES R BAD!!" so Microsoft has adopted the policy of forced updates to counteract the problem in the home version.

I fix computers in my spare time for the neighborhood here, and you wouldnt believe how many dumbasses have turned off updates and toolbars and spyware everywhere

also I like that windows defender now automatically tries to scan your shit if you have no antivirus installed. hope that will stop then from downloading utorrent and getting viruses from the ads inside it
>>
>>51945119
This laptop has pro and it seems like updates on it are more vicious than my desktop with home. Like, it will seriously just restart whenever the fuck it wants and I can't find any Windows update settings besides "Notify schedule to restart" and if I want to use those peer to peer options.
>>
>>51945089
I don't remember postponing anything, actually. Maybe I got a notification a month ago or something, but after that nothing - It should've at the very least reminded me that I still had an update coming. It would've been entirely my fault if I'd been dismissing update notifications every day , but that wasn't the case.
>>
>>51941893
>Will they ever figure out a way to block automatic updates in Windows 10?
What for? You cannot select or deselect individual updates like on win8 or 7 anyway.
win10 updates are huge monolithic "cumulative updates" containing all updates of a patchday in a single package.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.