[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, I'm at a crossroads here. I've been a long time
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3
File: Envy_Phoenix_gallery_01.jpg (31 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Envy_Phoenix_gallery_01.jpg
31 KB, 800x600
So, I'm at a crossroads here. I've been a long time mac user, but as I finish out film school I need something...stronger. Macs are cool as a visual piece but I think now I need something more practical. My question comes in here: What should I buy for editing?

Obviously something powerful but idk exactly where to start because I've been a macbook pro user for a while now, but I refuse to pay $2500+ for some mediocre hardware.

I have two questions:

Should I get a laptop or desktop? I normally love laptops but maybe a desktop will be more practical here.

What should i get in it? I would normally use Adobe Premiere, Photoshop, Divinci Desolve. So i guess sort of strenuous editing.

Thanks for all the help guys.
>>
>>51941229
>>Should I get a laptop or desktop? I normally love laptops but maybe a desktop will be more practical here.

Unless you absolutely must have portability, a desktop would almost certain suit your needs better.

What's your budget?
>>
>>51941337

$2000

Portability would be cool, but I also have my meme book pro to use for that since I don't do shit on the road anyway.
>>
>>51941229
buy a kindle and kill you're self
>>
>>51941378
That's not very helpful, faggot.
>>
>>51941229
Buy a server setup that can equip 2 quad core processors. 16GB of ram? How bout 32? Get sum TB HDDs and set them up in RAID0 for super sanic speeds. Dont buy Hitachi drives, they last inly 3 months. Go with WesternDicksickleb or seagoy
>>
>>51941425
Aren't Hitachi and WD the same thing now?
>>
File: mlp.jpg (36 KB, 500x315) Image search: [Google]
mlp.jpg
36 KB, 500x315
>>51941404
>Macs are cool as a visual piece.
>>51941404
>That's not very helpful, faggot.
>>
>>51941229
The Dell Precision 5000 and 7000 workstations are pretty sweet. Just be sure to remove all Dell software before doing anything on it.
>>
>>51941351
for 2,000 you can get a lot and it's not about cool. Get an i7-4790K and a lot of ram at least 16GB, 32 would be sweet 1 ssd a 4TB drive and an external enclosure for backing up video. As for graphics get a Firepro or Quadro. You can do a lot more than this i'm just listing what i think a basic setup should be.
>>
>>51941351
You could do quite a lot with 2k. I'd go with >>51941478 general idea and change/choose components as needed.
>>
>>51941351
>>$2000
You're in good shape, then. Admittedly, I don't know much about Premiere, Photoshop, etc. (some software relies more on CPU vs GPU), so I hesitate to recommend specific hardware. I can give you some (hopefully) useful tidbits, though:

1. You're looking for a workstation PC. When you look up high-end PC hardware you tend to come up with gaming oriented stuff. This is not what you're after.

2. You probably need to factor in the cost of some basic peripherals. When people on /g/ say they have a budget of $X, it's usually assumed they already have a monitor, keyboard, and mouse, but coming from a Memebook you may not. You also probably want/need a considerably higher-end monitor than a typical user. Color correctness is critical in content creation.

3. There's no reason to get Windows 10. Windows 8 has less issues, and includes a free upgrade to 10 if for some reason you find that you need it.

4. The software you mentioned in quite expensive. If you plan on buying it legitimately, factor that into your budget (assuming you haven't already).

>>Portability would be cool, but I also have my meme book pro for that since I don't do shit on the road anyway.

Definitely go the desktop route, then. Otherwise you're paying both in (both in money and performance) for portability you don't need.
>>
>>51941614
>>51941508
>>51941478

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. It's hard to just jump into higher end computing after using a macbook for so many years for just typing papers, y'all make it easier so thanks a lot.
>>
>>51941614
Wouldn't gaming hardware work just as well for OP off the bat?
>>
>>51941351
32 or 64 gb ram ddr4
4-8ssd in raid10 and an external thunderbolt raid storage thing
i7 extreme
graphics card(s) to edit 5k and three monitors
>>
>>51941825
Is 5k really necessary? 2K works fine.
>>
>>51941614
Whoa wtf, fk windows 8....
>>51941825
Overkill. OP is editing videos not rendering lewd MMDs to sate your autism
>>
>>51941898
He went to film school. He's gonna be editing films.
>>
>>51941434
They aquired their business meaning that they own the shares and stuff. They basically make the executive descisions
>>
>>51941425
Two quad core? You must be from 2012 nikkuh. We have 8 core i7s, 18 core Xeons these days, dude doesn't need it.

OP, just build out a quad core E3 v3 on an X99, 32gb ram, and a decent GPU. Add case, psu, and disk, you should hit about $2000.
>>
>>51941229
Build a high end Hackintosh. Tonymacx86 has a builders guide, and if you buy parts from the list, it should all work perfectly. If you plan on editing with fcpx, you'll want to buy an AMD graphics card- otherwise get a nvidia
>>
>>51941910
Editing or special effects? There is a diffetence. Does OP plan on SFX with particle generator stuff? Then amd with crossfire support might be nice. Then again, when windows 8 decides to up grade to Windows 8.1, it can cause issues.... Aparrently that's with nvidia cards in sli tho
>>
>>51942004
Since he's doing it all on his own(OP didn't mention sending things out to a SFX studio.) probably both.
>>
>>51941948
Ayye that be ne
>TeqNiqqa jamal sent from the myan apocalypse

Moar cores are better than hyperthreading tho.
Amirte? Sorry for speeling. Typing on a stolen iphone
>>
>>51942004
>crossfire
>for a workstation
kay
>>
OP should jut buy the computer in his OP pic. It's a good entry level desktop and it wont be completely useless for another 1.5 years.
>>
>>51942050
>muh cores

Depends on the applications. I see lots of stuff ride 1 or 2 cores hard, mostly because devs are dumb as shit and don't know how to multithread and distribute workloads well. Most of the video editing and 3d render suites are decent tho.
>>
>>51941825
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/WYtDP6
help me out /g/
I sacrificed drives, and went for raid 0

need a graphics card suggestion
and cpu
>>
>>51942096
Fking this.
Also i googled shit for op, divinci requires a a qaud core processor at the minimum.
Im guessing because of the nature of that software, im guessing that would be the bottle neck for the system. Maybe OP would benefit from a workstation

... I am teqNiQA BTW
>>
>>51942100
You're probably gonna want some large capacity HDDs too, you only have 500gb of space. Also, an NVMe SSD would be much better than having two SATA SSDs in raid. And get a higher end PSU... The corsair CX series are known as garbage.
>>
>>51942100
Fuck the RAID. Use the SSD as OS plus programs (might help after effects with the cache if you do that kind of thing), then get some manner of 2TB (or more) drive for storage of source materials/finished projects. CPU is good, and if you want a relatively cheap but powerful GPU go 980 TI. Otherwise probably go Titan. Fuck the FirePro or Quadro, those'll run $3-4k at least.
>>
File: 1415797741411.jpg (60 KB, 498x668) Image search: [Google]
1415797741411.jpg
60 KB, 498x668
>film school
>>
Here you go:
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fjYDP6
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fjYDP6/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor ($374.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.96 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X99-SLI ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($173.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: PNY Anarchy 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($77.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial BX200 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($64.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Hitachi Deskstar 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.95 @ Amazon)
Storage: Hitachi Deskstar 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.95 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card ($309.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1381.78
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-19 08:51 EST-0500

>Why the NH-D15?
Because it's super super quiet, same reason behind the case. You'll never see it anyway. You don't even have to overclock (but you can and should) to realize the point of the NH-D15. 140mm fans are basically silent.

>Why gaymur GPU?
Good editing software supports GPU-hardware acceleration. It can drastically reduce render times

>Why dual 2TB drives instead of single 4TB drive?
Because you should probably be running RAID 1 if this data is important and you only have two drives. Want more space? Get more drives. Redundancy is important if this is for professional work.
>>
Didn't LinusTechTips have a good video on their render-pc?
Should be a good start and not some fucking i7 and 970 meme machine
>>
>>51942534
You don't really need an expensive PSU. They are literally all the same shit inside. Just get one with the featured and raiting that you want. Don't buy one for the brand.
>>
>>51941229
Lots of extra RAM! ( 16 gb or something, at least 8) And a SSD
>>
>>51945715
That's a $4000 CPU, with mediocre single-threaded performance. It's a server CPU so much was sacrificed for efficiency, especially clock speed. Yeah, I'd take a $350 6 core over it for this budget. The cheapest 8 core CPU is $700, and doubling the price of the CPU for 2 more cores is absolutely retarded. Stepping up from a 970 to a 980ti will have more impact due to CUDA acceleration.
>>
>>51945636
>Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card ($309.99 @ SuperBiiz)

you lying sack of shit!
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.