[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/flt/ - Friendly Linux Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 32
File: fZjekiD.jpg (89 KB, 740x448) Image search: [Google]
fZjekiD.jpg
89 KB, 740x448
Previous: >>51928589

Intended for users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are three ways to try Linux, you can:

1) Install a Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
2) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full Linux experience".
3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with Linux (not recommended)

If you are serious about switching to Linux and if you have Windows dual-booted (recommended for pure newbies),
we recommend you use it exclusively for 2 weeks, and avoid Windows dual booting for that period of time, or it's
likely you will start retreating back to windows instead of getting used to GNU/Linux as your new home and working on
making it feel the way you want it.

>Recommended for beginners:
-Ubuntu MATE
-Debian (For Broadcom devices, use an ISO that includes non-free firmware)
-openSUSE
-LinuxMint (a.k.a Ubuntu LTS + Cinnamon)

Before asking, please find the answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe wine can make up for it.

Resources:
man <insert command here>
your friendly neighborhood search engine
https://www.codecademy.com/en/courses/learn-the-command-line
https://wiki.archlinux.org/
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/
>>
What is Linux (or GNU/Linux for Stallmanists)?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux

Babby's First Linux (What distro to choose?)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

What software does /g/ recommend? (Please DON'T include the so called infographic -- refer all your recommended software here.)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_GNU/Linux_software

Ricing on Linux (Make it good and functional or make it worse like those at desktop threads)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux_ricing

A script designed to ease the transition from Windows to Debian
https://github.com/Chocolate-Chip-Computing/DebianNewbieScript

We now have an entry in the installGentoo wiki!
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php//flt/

IRC No one uses:
irc://irc.freenode.org:+7000/FriendlyLinux
>>
First for MATE
>>
File: screenFetch-2015-12-19_11-52-43.png (914 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
screenFetch-2015-12-19_11-52-43.png
914 KB, 1366x768
How can I get rid of the square around my network manager applet on top right.
- I've tried changing the theme
- gtk-update-cache /path/to/theme ; says generated cache was invalid
- Restarting the xfce session
>>
>>51938054
go into your fucking panel properties, check the settings for system tray you fuck
>>
>>51938054

do what >>51938064 said, or just edit the fucking config file.
>>
>>51938064
>>51938085
>Show frame enabled
Got it f.am
>>
Anyone Mint KDE here? Still in 17.2 though, but it works so who cares?
>>
>>51938064
>>51938085
>How do I X?
>fuck you
>yeah, fuck YOU!
>friendly linux thread
>>
>>51938167

Trolls be trollan.
>>
>>51938167
>just edit the fucking config file
>apparently the same as FUCK YOU
>not getting the satirical name of the thread
>either trying to b8 or just retarded
>who cares
>friendly linux thread
>>
>>51938210
I wasn't baiting or being retarded, I'm new to Xfce.
>>
im using arch, how can i watch flash videos above 360p

I want to use crunchyroll but i dont have the plugin, do I need a specific browser, im using firefox
>>
>>51938299
You mean YouTube videos?
>>
>>51937779

How do I control an Ubuntu VM using terminal commands from my Android phone? Is there any way to do this without having bridged connection or port forwarding from (parents') router?
>>
>>51938299
I use chromium and pepperflash for sites other than youtube
>>
>>51938314
youtube videos,
and crunchyroll
>>
>>51938366
http://www.linuxveda.com/2015/06/29/get-1080p-youtubes-html5-player-firefox-linux/
>>
>>51938388

Or you could use actual video player instead of firefux.
>>
>>51938409
what do you mean? If i wanted to watch a video on crunchyroll how would i watch it in a video player? use like a cURL request?
>>
File: 41799993.jpg (106 KB, 1000x1100) Image search: [Google]
41799993.jpg
106 KB, 1000x1100
I'm what the op describes as absolute beginner. Today I installed Lubuntu on my old Packard Bell dot s2. It has only 1gb of ram I know and Firefox freezes occasionally especially on 4chan (I'm using 4chan x though).
Is Chrome lighter on memory usage? Or what other good browser should I use?
Thanks.
>>
From last thred >>51935350
He also made a custom easy to read Arch install guide - which actually looks harder than the official wiki KEK
>>
>>51938651
thread*
>>
File: mplayer.png (50 KB, 800x342) Image search: [Google]
mplayer.png
50 KB, 800x342
I just went balls deep with Debian Jessie on the laptop. What options do I have for video playback? I miss madVR.
>>
>>51938871
check out an mpv thread
>>
>>51937779

How do I know if I'm not a linux noob anymore?
>>
Hello, im using Kali Linux 2.0 on a USB Stick with persistence.

Since i am mainly using it on my Desktop, i installed latest Nvidia Drivers to get both of my DVI Devices running and it works well.

The stick also works great on my Notebook which has also Nvidia Graphic Card but the problem begins when trying to start it on my Acer Switch HD 10. After fixing keyboard, installing WLAN Driver everything worked until the moment i installed the Nvidia Driver. Since then Kali boots up in Text Mode...

Earlier it was no problem starting gui mode on both with the problem on my Desktop without Drivers i could just using 1 Monitor.

tl;dr: Is there any way (doesn't have to be a perfect clean solution just something that helps me out even if it means i have to type in even more stuff to boot from my acer as it does now to boot up) to... i dont know creating 2 different profiles that i can switch to load the nvidia driver or the regular drivers for my Acer?

Thanks!
DasX
>>
>>51937779
>Intended for users of all levels

Back when I took operating systems we did a whirlwind tour of disk scheduling algorithms. The textbook mentioned linux allowed you to swap out scheduling algorithms somewhat modularly. I have a production application that bottlenecks at disk IO and I think I may be able to get significant gains from C-SCAN just by nature of the data and business requirements.

Anyway, my question is what's involved in changing out the disk scheduler? Is this something I can do without downtime? With a reboot? Do I need to re-roll the kernel? How bad of an idea is this?
>>
Does anyone know how I can get the proper MATE icons for folders and other things (or any icons to be exact) to work in Caja when I run i3 instead of just one single generic "empty file" icon for everything?
>>
>>51939016

Another usb stick would be useful then.
>>
>>51939060
really looking for another option since i need the data on one
>>
>>51939079

Copy and keep the data synced?
>>
>>51938629
I doubt Chrome would be any better.
There are several lightweight browsers (such as Midori) available, but they might not have the features or extension support that you would get from the big browsers.
>>
>>51939107
i'll definitely will keep that in mind, thanks
>>
>>51939060
>>51939016
partition the usb
not hard
>>
>>51939355
not hard indeed but it means less space on the usb stick.. but also thanks! will try this next
>>
>>51939016
>>51939355
This. Your OS install shouldn't be that heavy, even with X and ricing and stuff, just keep each OS on a different partition and your home directory on a third partition.

>>51939119
Chromium/Chrome generally make better use of Unix-style processes than Firefox, benchmarks generally neglect CoW semantics which make a huge difference. Fair benchmarks on OSX (unix-y enough for comparison) show significant difference in Chrome's favor.
>>
i i am using linuxmint with KDE desktop and for some reason i don't know what the fuck i did but now i can't use me desktop (i cant creates new files on it, etc...) it's all nothing but a screensaver with no use at all, how do i fix this?
>>
>>51939050

according to this:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1009577/selecting-a-linux-i-o-scheduler

you can change it at runtime by writing to /sys/block/<devicename>/queue/scheduler
>>
File: HowDo.png (24 KB, 1329x418) Image search: [Google]
HowDo.png
24 KB, 1329x418
>>51937779

How can I use linux on the public server to accomplish this? VPN is to resource intensive. Don't need the traffic to be encrypted. Its basically a rasp pie box.
>>
>>51939536
sudo apt-get purge kde
then sudo apt-get install kde
you gotta use purge instead of remove, to get rid of whatever the faulty config is, if you just remove then reinstall you'll likely still have the same issue
>>
get chromium. wont run in root. try and make a user. log in as user sitll seem to be root nothing works. as a user i was able to navigate the file structure as i please. chromium still gives me wired errors. nothing works. back to firefox in root. Can anyone show me a good guide for createing a user that isnt root?
I dont get it at all. plus then i3 wouldnt start unless i sudo.
>>
How do file permissions for symlinks work?

I rather short-sightedly mounted the external HDD for my headless Arch server to /home/mainuser/storage and now I need another user to be able to access the HDD for torrenting. I made a directory /home/mainuser/storage/.torrents and symlinked it to /home/otheruser/torrents and changed the owner of both .torrents and the symlink to otheruser. When I ssh in as otheruser though, I can't cd or ls through the symlink, and otheruser's deluged instance doesn't detect the HDD storage.

What did I do wrong? Should I just remount the external drive somewhere else? How would I do that and ensure both users can access it?
>>
I'm running Debian on my PC and it works fine, except the GPU is detected (using lspci -vnnn | perl -lne 'print if /^\d+\:.+(\[\S+\:\S+\])/' | grep VGA) as an AMD 285 rather than a 380, and the fans don't really spin, they do a slow half-spin where one fan does it, stops, then the other one does. I tired to install the drivers from the AMD site but I wasn't able to because the Kernel was the wrong version for the installer according to the error I got, Debian wasn't listed as a supported distro either so I suspect that's why. What do?
>>
>>51938299
> 2016-13 days
> using flash

Jesus. Install the html5 everywhere add on to whatever browser you use, then install gstreamer and ffmpeg.

Then go to about:config and type "media" into the search bar. Enable all of it then disable things one by one until it breaks to find out what you should actually be enabling.

https://youtube.com/html5
>>
When I install something and I have to pick a folder, where am I meant to put that folder?

EG: I have these two folders in my /home/username folder that I feel should be put elsewhere

>ffmpeg_sources
and
>node_modules
>>
>>51941615
somewhere in /etc?
>>
>>51938613
Install youtube-dl and mpv, install the "open with" addon for firefox and add mpv to the right click menu through it. Works for pretty much every site.
>>
>>51941670
ok, and what is /opt for?
Also, can I move the stuff from my /home/username straight into /etc right now and not have any kind of linking problems or things of that nature?
>>
>>51941615
>>51941768

this might be useful:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_Hierarchy_Standard

moving stuff around will be a problem if some program is looking for it in a specific place
>>
>>51941424
Update to a kernel that is compatible? I don't know much about Debian, but you might have to use the testing release (as opposed to stable) to get a newer kernel.
>>
>unstable
Was this a mistake?

Will everything break every 3 months?
>>
I got a question about mdadm raid.

I have a RAID 5 setup and everything go to go. Constructing and the whole 9 yards; however, before I format the array, the wiki from kernel.org shows me that using XFS to automatically calculate the data for chunk sizes would be best. Before I assembled the array, I formatted everything as ext4. Should I format the array in the same format or can I go ahead and make the array XFS?
>>
>>51942332
>months
hehehheheheheehhehehehehehehh
>>
How can I block ads in Midori?
>>
>>51942567
When I tried stable the wireless worked like shit.

I'd love to go full stable, but I can't lose connection every three minutes.
>>
>install [not sure what distro] on virtualbox
>set everything up over the span of weeks, months or however long it takes for me to get it "perfect"
>switch
Guess what I'm asking if I set everything up virtually it's piss easy to transfer to an actual install right? Assuming it's a bunch of config files and shit.
>>
>>51942997
you can keep using the same install, just move it
>>
>>51942997
or to rephrase that a bit, in windows i'd (as far as I know) basically save a bunch of install.exe's for a full backup

in linux i presume copying home folder + running a bunch of saved sudo apt-get's should do it for?
>>
>>51943063
..that's easier than even I thought, wont run into grub issues?
>>
>>51943088
you'll need to re-setup the bootloader, and update fstab and your initramfs, but that's about it
>>
>>51943123
i'll give that a go first then when the time comes, cool
>>
>>51940684
symlinks are for root

As for multiple users having the same permissions, you could use a group for that.
>>
I installed Debian and my sound doesn't work at all (speakers, headphones, nil)
Pulse is installed and shit, what kind of troubleshooting can I do to try to figure out what's up?
>>
>>51943249
Check systemlog, check if sound is muted
>>
>>51943237
So all symlinks should be root:root regardless of who is using them?

Also, I sucked in up and remounted the HDD to /mnt/storage and made separate files there for each user; everything works great now.
>>
>>51943258
The mute bar is weird and confusing. It says it's always muted but you can do shit that makes it think it isn't muted but it's not making any physical noise.
Can I install the whole thing from scratch so I know exactly what's going on?
>>
>>51943260
Let me check this again - no, I was wrong
>>
>>51943274
Check systemlog if the hardware is properly detected first.
>>
>>51943306
Er, what am I looking for? In /var/log/syslog?
I'm not an expert. In fact, I have no clue how pulseaudio/alsa interacts with hardware.
>>
>>51943342
Just type dmesg
>>
I want to install a different desktop environment for ubuntu because Unity is shit. Are there any significant differences beween:
Xfce
LXDE
KDE
etc
I guess only someone who has used many of these would be able to answer the question, but maybe not.
>>
>>51943367
Depends on what you deem "significant"

Also, you could use software tied to DE A on DE B which may make the difference even smaller.
>>
>>51943353
There's literally pages and pages of abbreviated information. Nothing looks immediately wrong, but I don't know that many technical details about my audio hardware (should it matter?)

(This is why year of the linux desktop will never come)
>>
>>51943395
>pages and pages
Try it after a reboot

>but I don't know that many technical details about my audio hardware
You're looking for errors, that should reduce the amount to manageable levels.

>(This is why year of the linux desktop will never come)
You have no idea what you had to do to get sound working on Windows back in the 90s.
>>
>>51943381
I just want something that looks good and has good customization options. Might as well get the "best" one. I was just wondering if anyone preferred one over the other for whatever reason or had anything to say about any of them.
>>
>>51943419
>on Windows back in the 90s
It ain't the 90s.

[    9.084187] input: HDA ATI HDMI HDMI/DP,pcm=3 as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.1/sound/card0/input11
[ 9.091456] sound hdaudioC1D0: autoconfig: line_outs=1 (0x14/0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0) type:speaker
[ 9.091465] sound hdaudioC1D0: speaker_outs=0 (0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0)
[ 9.091470] sound hdaudioC1D0: hp_outs=1 (0x15/0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0)
[ 9.091474] sound hdaudioC1D0: mono: mono_out=0x0
[ 9.091477] sound hdaudioC1D0: inputs:
[ 9.091481] sound hdaudioC1D0: Mic=0x18
[ 9.091485] sound hdaudioC1D0: Internal Mic=0x12
[ 9.099070] input: HD-Audio Generic Mic as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.2/sound/card1/input12
[ 9.099155] input: HD-Audio Generic Headphone as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.2/sound/card1/input13

This is all good right?
>>
>>51943367
Install all of them in another install (maybe in a vm) and test them. Everybody likes something else.

>>51942332
Can you fix stuff? If yes it shouldn't be a problem. Testing also exists and works fine. But downgrading would break everything.
>>
>>51943432
Looks good so far, though its way less lines compared to my system.
I'd assume the hardware works from that, so it should be a software-configuration problem.
>>
>>51943468
That's 'dmesg | grep -i sound', I thought I included that line but I guess not

Everything here is out-of-the-box. Where can I start in terms of software configuration?
>>
Get Fedora with Gnome3 it just werks!
>>
>>51943428
What looks good for you and what looks good for me might be very different things.

Most people do have their favorites, but that's worthless to you unless you just want to fit in here.
>>
>>51943481
Some lines should just have snd in them.

Anyway, I can't really help with pulseaudio since I don't use it.
Though you probably should still be able to run alsamixer and check if the speakers are muted.
>>
Hey /g/, I'm having a problem with Infinality and Iceweasel on my new Debian install.

I installed it using this repository (https://github.com/cmpitg/infinality-debian-package), and now certain fonts on a bunch of different websites don't render correctly in Iceweasel. Pic related is an example of this. This problem doesn't seem to exist anywhere else on my system, so I assume it has something to do with Iceweasel itself.

Does anybody know how to fix this? I really don't want to have to switch to Chromium if I don't have to.

Thanks!
>>
>>51943640
which fonts does your iceweasel use?
>>
>>51937779
That image is very stupid.
>>
File: jinx.jpg (68 KB, 714x477) Image search: [Google]
jinx.jpg
68 KB, 714x477
can I rebind a key like scroll lock to write character like the console apostrophe `
>>
So yesterday I enabled public key authentication on my server and disabled password logins to protect it, but I've just checked my log files and I'm still seeing:

reverse mapping checking getaddrinfo for client-23-254-253-88.hostwindsdns.com [23.254.253.88] failed - POSSIBLE BREAK-IN ATTEMPT!
Invalid user admin from 23.254.253.88
input_userauth_request: invalid user admin [preauth]

What concerns me is the "Invalid user admin", when I try to login from a non-authorised pc I just see access denied (public key), is this person still able to try passwords or something, or is it just telling me the username they used when opening the ssh connection, likewise fail2ban has been banning ip's today since after I disabled password auth, or does it ban after failed public key messages?
>>
File: Pillow JWOW.mp4_000096396.jpg (485 KB, 1264x720) Image search: [Google]
Pillow JWOW.mp4_000096396.jpg
485 KB, 1264x720
>>51943908
btw I did try xev and xmodmap and it work in sense that function of a key is changed to what some other key does but thats bad for me

let me explain what I am looking and why

I got used to using grave/console key as show terminal key
and life was good
but now recently I started to need the grave appostroph in text for showing code, in comments and I started to miss it

so I would love to bing that appostroph thing to some other key or some key combo like ctrl+shift+grave or whatever...

but what will xev and xmodmap do is change scrol lock to also showing terminal, xmodmap just make sure that grave keypress is send when scrol lock is pressed, and since thats bind to show terminal... well its not a solution

is there some other way?
>>
File: Pillow JWOW.mp4_000101601.jpg (492 KB, 1264x720) Image search: [Google]
Pillow JWOW.mp4_000101601.jpg
492 KB, 1264x720
>>51943987
>>51943908
allright
figured it out, but only for me on i3 not some general solution

i3 uses everywhere bindsym, but it also has bindkey
so instead of using grave as the term to bind key to console, you use bindkey 49 and grave on scroll lock works just fine
>>
ok so abcde created a directory that mpd does not have access to.
if abdce and mpd were in the same group this wouldn't have happened correct?
and now that the directory has already been made,
how would I go about giving mpd acces to it?
it's on a vfat USB and I keep having permission difficulties with this.
>>
>>51939119
>There are several lightweight browsers (such as Midori) available, but they might not have the features or extension support that you would get from the big browsers.
Qutebrowser runs nicely on a freaking RPi 2. It's still in heavy development so you should probably be running from git sources. The browser itself is written in Python (PyQt5 bindings) so rebuilds take seconds.
http://github.com/The-Compiler/qutebrowser
>>
>>51944058
pls mega your folder
i need EVERYTHING
semen demon overdose
>>
>>51943067
You can actually get a complete list of installed packages with
dpkg --get-selections
. Turning the output of this command into an apt-get command for the new system is left as an exercise for the reader. That and rsyncing /home will duplicate your entire setup unless you're manually editing files in /etc.
>>
>>51937779
>>51937779

I have a laptop that I never use that I'm thinking of using for Linux so I can get to grips with commands and other stuff. I'm also learning C programming.

Any tips on installing Linux on a Toshiba laptop?
>>
>>51945191
Brand doesn't matter. Chipsets matter. There have been Toshibas that work flawlessly and others that can barely boot. It all depends on what chips are in there.
>>
>>51945198
Well, shit.

Anyway I can find out what chips are in there without cracking it open?
>>
>>51945214
Boot a Linux based live CD or live USB environment and run "lspci" and "lsusb" to get an idea of what the kernel sees. I recommend grml if you're comfortable with the shell.
>>
a lil bits, of motivation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn8gealMDsg
>>
>>51945214
search the item number. it matters but based on what you're saying you'd probably just be better off installing of of the recommended beginner distros.
>>
>>51945269
>>51945279

Slow down fellas. Complete newbie here.

Appreciate the help muchly however. Have you got any links that may help me out with understanding this and taking me through it step by step?
>>
>>51945312
it doesn't really seem like you're making any effort. if you want to do this with as little effort as possible you should just google "ubuntu" and follow burning instructions, boot to the disk and keep clicking next.
>>
>>51945399
How did you confer from that that I'm not making any effort? All I asked for was a link to some resources; of your choosing, seeing as I appreciate the help.

I do want to actually learn, I don't want to just be spoonfed though an easy route without any knowledge of the environment.

Bear in mind the "complete newbie" -- so forgive me for feeling a tad overwhelmed when I hear "lspci" and "grmel" for the first time.
>>
>>51945399
yes I understand that. most people here are expecting you to have some experience with the shell. your toshiba question however is analogous to someone asking "anyone have any tips to driving a honda?" it just shows a lack of experience of how cars work.
>>
>>51945399
>>51945279
>>51945269

Simple question fellas.

What's the best Linux distro for learning command line? That's really the core of what I'm trying to achieve.
>>
>>51945658
All Linux distros are pretty close to the same under the hood. If you REALLY want to learn the command line, immersion therapy is the way to do it. Start with Arch or Gentoo where you have nothing BUT the command line until you build a system on top of it.

On the other hand if that scares the piss out of you just start with Ubuntu like most people.
>>
>>51945577
I guess you're right.

I'm capable of doing research and learning about Unix-esque systems but I don't know where to start. All I'm asking for is some resources.
>>
>>51943640
install corefonts
>>
>>51945669
Immersion therapy is good, but the frustration is a factor. I'm usually good with that, but I don't want to scare myself away.

Arch Linux uses Bash in its command line right?

Would starting with Ubuntu, learning Bash and C and then moving on to Arch Linux be a good route?
>>
>>51945694
why is learning C lumped in there as if it wasn't an entire endeavour of its own, or necessary to learn the command line?
>>
>>51945733
There is a Linux shell program based on C input, but that's not the point.

I'm already learning C. Bear in mind I'm on Windows, so the reason I'm thinking of getting used to a Linux-based system is due to my sensibilities and trying to acquaint myself with a more relevant environment.

I'll list out the planned endeavours per se, and tell me the correct order I should learn them:

- learn C
- get used to Ubuntu/Linux Mint
- learn Bash
- get used to Arch Linux
>>
>>51945792
install ubuntu/mint, learn bash, learn c, eventually go to arch.
>>
>>51945832
Thanks dude.

This also begs the question; why is Bash still used when there are several simpler, more readable languages that can be used as a shell such as Python and Perl?
>>
Have anyone manage to boot Linux from an SD card running Windows 10? I tried out of curiosity last night because I didn't have an USB around, but didn't succeed.
>>
I'm an undergrad EE, but I would love to contribute to Linux. I know basic C, pretty much a bit more than a beginners textbook.
What/how much should I learn in order to be able to understand and contribute?
>>
>>51940134
Do you want to use your linux box as a server, so some kind of proxy, that image is very vauge
>>
>>51945889
More C.
>>
>>51945857
syntax aside, it's powerful, time tested, and beloved by greybeards. you'll notice in the linux ecosystem that things only tend to get replaced if they're hacky and legitimately undermine progress (example: x11).
>>
>>51945916
I see.

I'll look into it a tad more as time goes on. I think I'm going to just concentrate on getting C out of the way and learning about how it contributes to embedded systems; especially in the realm of data structures and memory management. I think by the end of learning C, I'll be more prepared to adjust to a Linux system.

I generally have no knowledge of scripting languages other than the fact that they act as an "admin" of sorts. Gosh. Windows has really fucked me beyond hope. Normie life 4 me.
>>
So, I am a .milfag that was using a smart card reader to access all my .mil fagginess and I tried using a different reader and it fucked my up browser. Every time I try to open up my browser with the old reader plugged in, the browser does not open and the card reader displays that it's using the credentials on the card even though it has not prompted me for the access pin for the card. I have to unplug the reader to open the browser and plug it back in once it is up and then when I try to access a .mil page, it doesn't want to connect or prompt me for the pin. How do I fix this issue?
>>
I always thought you could created nested directories at once like
mkdir ~/videos/movies

But now I'm getting an error message. Has this always been the case and I'm just losing my mind?
>>
>>51946600
use the -p switch
>>
I don't get why linux is touted as so great and secure when you are constantly barraged by people screaming and crying whenever you make root the only account and log in to it every time.
>>
>>51946746
like any system, it's only as secure as the person at the helm.
>>
>>51946600
It's
mkdir -p
>>
>>51946600
always been the case, use -p
>>
>>51945857
>>51946196
I suppose if you wanted to you could go ahead and write a "pysh" or something
>>
Got a spare desktop laying around so i was wondering, how usable is arch or arch based distros as a desktop system?
>>
>>51946874
Using it right now as a desktop system. Configuring X was probably the most annoying part, but I didn't really have any problems with anything else.
>>
>>51946746
But that happens on Windows when people disabled UAC.
>>
>>51946874
actually pretty usable, I'd suggest antergos and when you're installing select the lts kernel
>>
>>51946928
but even as root it asks for the password every time something wants elevated privileges
>>
>>51946986
the way it should be
>>
>use lubuntu for underpowered desktops and old laptops
>Lightdm breaks if it there's ever a situation, like a hangup, that requires a hard-reset
ayy
>>
Street Fighter V comming for linux.
>>
>>51946860
I guarantee one will be written and implemented in the next 5 years.
>>
>>51946996
exactly, but if you need to elevate privileges every time anyways then what's wrong with running as root?
>>
>>51947190
>oh let me just go get some water real quick
>comes back
>sees rm -rf / in progress
>>
File: mini.png (267 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
mini.png
267 KB, 1920x1080
Hey guys, how can i have a minimal desktop like this on Debian ? I think it's made with openbox but i don't find any tutorial or theme who looks like this (cf picture)
>>
>>51947210
un, you would've had to started the rm before you left and entered the password in order for rm to delete that wouldn't you?
>>
>>51939119
What would you say about Seamonkey compared to other browsers? I guess nowhere as light given it's still basically a bare-bones Firefox but, what else?
>>
>>51947273
Not if you were already casually logged in as root
>>
Fuck yeah. Haven't used my Windows partition for 3 months now. Been using Antergos, and it is amazing. Any good programs I should get?
>>
>>51947262
go to the desktop thread for ricing advice
>>
>>51947308
even logged in as root doesn't it ask for the password for everything?

>>51947312
coverthumb
>>
>>51947362
no
>>
>>51947368
well that's retarded then, and I bet a lot of folk who think they're running as root really aren't. I always just assumed that if you only made one user at install time, then that user was considered the root account
>>
>>51947399
this is some decent bait
>>
>>51947421
sadly it's not bait, I actually believed that
>>
>>51947399
not really, once you get used to it feels natural, and eventually you'll get why the unix creators made that design decision.
>>
>>51947454
no I meant it's retarded that it doesn't ask to elevate
>>
>>51947475
but is not retarded.

someday you'll get it.
>>
>>51947561
so then you're saying there's nothing wrong with running as root?
>>
>>51937779
Hey guys, don't mean to sound new, but, what does a terminal emulator do? Is it just another edition of the terminal?
>>
>>51947585
For your casual stuff don't use the root. NEVER!.

For very special cases you will need to run as root.
>>
>>51947603
I think it's essentially a terminal with extra features like mouse support, and all the shit something like terminology can do like make your cursor a video instead of just a blinking line
>>
>>51937779
Hey, /flt/, I'm thinking of starting Linux with a cheap laptop, for ricing, taking notes, and emulating. I'm thinking of one of those dirt cheap, $135 Chromebooks. Is there anything cheaper? Should I just get a used chromebook if I'm gonna be tossing the OS anyways?
>>
>>51943893
I'm using the Droid famliy of fonts.

>>51945689
I tried this already but it didn't fix anything.

Anyone have any other ideas?
>>
>>51947688
go refurbished instead of used, the difference is refurbished is guaranteed working and usually comes with something like a ninety day replacement policy, and for a buck thirty you can get something wtih better specs than a chromebook
>>
File: robot circle jerk.jpg (12 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
robot circle jerk.jpg
12 KB, 300x300
in a efi dual-boot context, is there posible to boot grub before windows partition?

I have to use an especific program for university, I would let wine to run it, the prolem is that it needs drivers (the program and drivers come in a cd) and they don't work in with wine so now I have a 10Gb windows partition I only use once a week.

The program is I-Box-III, a grafical compiler for programing "robot circle" in my code fundaments class.
>>
>>51947888
>10Gb windows partition
Ouch
>>
>>51947888
If it's just one specific program you need for a single class, couldn't you just use a virtual machine?
>>
>>51947938
virtualbox donesn't let me use the ports in free version and vmware was a pain in the ass, I didn't know what to download from their page.

>>51947931
Also that partition is a pink and purple win 8.1 so I remember to delete it after finnishing the course
>>
File: gtkthickline.png (25 KB, 961x94) Image search: [Google]
gtkthickline.png
25 KB, 961x94
so this has been pissing me off for awhile now. its very subtle but i cannot for the life of me understand its purpose and why its always been there because it makes the program look retarded but to finally get on with it, what the fuck is this bold line found on the topright of every gtk themed window and how can i turn it off?
>>
>>51947992
A subtle 3D-effect?
>>
>>51947992
Use a better theme.
Also, https://addons.mozilla.org/en-gb/firefox/addon/htitle/
>>
Does anyone use fedora rawhide?
>>
File: 1450548189.png (80 KB, 710x349) Image search: [Google]
1450548189.png
80 KB, 710x349
arch + i3

which one Authentication agent should I use for polkit?
>>
>>51948194
Whichever has the least dependencies I guess.
>>
>>51948215
tried polkit-gnome and its only single package so will see how that one goes
>>
>>51937846
What theme and icons are you using?
>>
>>51948309
not him
from the look of it
its numix all the way, both theme and icons
>>
>>51948325
Ah yeah, I knew Numix had made icons but I did not realize it had become a proper theme too. Thanks.
>>
>>51945180
will use this, thanks
>>
>[something]buntu + i3
>mint + i3
my knowledge of distros is reduced to pre installed software, package managers and window managers

am I missing anything in making this choice?
>>
Anyone using Adobe on Linux? Is it works good? When I'm googling most of it said that it has bug or something and can't work in some distro.
>>
File: effect.png (289 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
effect.png
289 KB, 1920x1080
>>51948126
maybe. i just tried using
gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.interface enable-animations false
as instructed by a page to remove '3d effects' but that didn't seem to remove this. this effect appears to create dark black lines around certain other windows too (i traced near it in the picture, bordering thunar) which is inconsistent and looks stupid too. if there is a way to turn it off completely please tell me. google isn't coming up with anything that appears to work

>>51948165
no matter what theme i change it to in fluxbox the grey part stays exactly the same. how do i change gtk itselves theme? and again, this is a problem with every single gtk program, and i dont really want to hide the tabs either
>>
>>51948607
wait nevermind, i just googled. let me figure out theming myself. i think this conversation has already lead me on the right path, thanks
>>
>>51937779
I want to install mint cause it's awesome out of the box driver support, but definitely want to thin down the bloat after I install it. Does anyone recommend a particular guide for this?
>>
File: 1435131632129.jpg (1005 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1435131632129.jpg
1005 KB, 1920x1080
>>51948797
alternatively a more minimal distro with good driver support is also fine.
>>
File: 1426022354213.jpg (167 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
1426022354213.jpg
167 KB, 960x720
hey familia, what DM do you use? how does it look?
>>
>>51948851
Debian non-free has great driver support. Just used my printer with it.
>>
>>51948851
mint is just buntu with added codecs, I believe the base and driver support are the same so go with buntu minimal?
>>
>>51948987
>no out of the box generic nonfree wifi support
>doesn't come with the tools to open and install from the command line its own .deb files to install the generic nonfree wifi packages

yeah
great driver support
>>
>>51945191
I am using some sort of laptop in the Toshiba Satellite series and it is working just fine with Mint.
>>
>>51949074
>doesn't come with the tools to open and install from the command line its own .deb files

I don't think there is any debian that doesn't come with dpkg
>>
>>51949074
which part of debian non-free didn't you understand?
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/8.2.0/amd64/iso-cd/
>>
Need a hand guys, my Debian install runs and boots perfectly, but when I switch to some TTY via ctrl+alt+F1-6 all I get is a "Loading, please wait..." line instead of a functional console.
Any ideas? Can't find much on google.
>>
File: 1297104197466.gif (416 KB, 250x175) Image search: [Google]
1297104197466.gif
416 KB, 250x175
>>51949098
>playing with different distros through out the day yesterday
>grab whatever amd iso from the debian website
>solve bootloader problem after installing debian
>well now it's time to install the driver proprietary driver
>generic usb wifi to the rescue
>no wifi?
>google to the rescue
>just transfer the .deb over on a usb drive
>dpkg -i <package>
>returns an error about not recognizing dpkg
>>
>>51949288
you probably didn't use root privileges for running dpkg.
>>
anyone know why xfce fucks up when I installed gtk2-patched-filechooser-icon-view from the aur? My desktop background goes grey and can't be changed.

Also, on my laptop, but not my pc, when starting up, some things auto open, like nemo and firefox. Removing ~/.cache/sessions fixes it but it gets filled up again. I tried making it read only but that didn't work.
>>
>>51948454
Nah, *buntus and mint are literally the same shit
>>
>>51949385
Probably the aur package is dongled.
I compiled gtk2 and glib for my fedora and it works just fine.
>>
>>51949385
>Removing ~/.cache/sessions fixes it but it gets filled up again. I tried making it read only but that didn't work.
In the session manager (poweroff, rebott, logout) there's a checkbox saying something like "save my session before logging out".
Uncheck it
>>
Is Skype not in the Arch repository any more?
>>
>>51950073
Nevermind
>>
File: 1407380953266.jpg (158 KB, 1600x867) Image search: [Google]
1407380953266.jpg
158 KB, 1600x867
Is there an mpv front end that supports A - B repeat? Or is there a way to get vanilla mpv to to do it? Preferably not using command line options. Maybe like how VLC does it, or even binding it to keys. I can't use VLC at all.
>>
Anything like cmus that supports customizing the tree? Like if I want a genre/artist/album tree
>>
What's a good program to safely encrypt single folders?
>>
Right now, I'm working on an Arch install with GNOME installed and am trying to set up i3-gnome.

It seems to work fine, but doesn't have some of the useful utilities GNOME provides. Like managing the sound or network I'm connected to. Also, when I try to log out (using i3's mod+shift+E (quit)), it only kills i3 and it looks like X just shits itself.

Anyone have experience with this? I'd rather not only use i3 and have to configure _everything_
>>
>>51951817
seriously, just use i3

i3-gnome is for literal idiots
>>
>>51950983
What do you mean A - B repeat? It can loop between two user set points.
>>
>>51951892
Yes. You set point A, then set point B, and it loops.
>>
>>51951988
press l to set A and again to set B and it will loop.

I'm sure all the bindings are documented somewhere better than this but I can't find the one I'm thinking of, this looks right though https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/blob/master/etc/input.conf
>>
>>51951875

Then are there any packages you'd recommend using alongside it to control at least networking? While I _can_ do it, I'd rather not configure that using CLI or install some ugly package that would look out-of-place - a curses interface tool is OK.
>>
>>51952079
Holy shit that's awesome. Thanks.
>>
>>51952095
networkmanager
wpa_supplicant with wpa_gui
>>
>>51952095
networkmanager has nmtui

theres also a package in the AUR for a dmenu like interface for network manager
>>
>>51952120
Cool, will try that.
>>
I installed Slitaz on a live usb drive but I don't know how to get to the GUI. I got to where it asks for my region and keyboard with a GUI, then it goes to text only and I can log in with username and password "root". How do I just start the graphical OS?
>>
>>51952201
startx?
>>
>>51952266
I tried that but it said fatal error
>>
What distros would be good on a laptop for college? I kind of want something with a lengthy but documented install process.
>>
>>51952750
funtoo, lengthy but very well documented install, stable, just works.
>>
>>51951326
cmus lets you change the organization of the tree.
>>
>>51939119
I installed Chromium in the end and the results are marvelous compared to Firefox.
Also a better browser overall, I feel kinda stupid sticking with furryshit all this time.
>>
>>51937779
>they're still forcing this babby thread
>>
>>51953541
You can head to any other thread if you want this shitpost. This is a constructive thread
>>
Hey guys,

For some reason, a number of chroot applications for Android for me to be able to have a stable fucking install have stopped working for me. So I've decided to instead use Termux, which will use the the existing busybox installation, but also add a few extra utilities through a package manager.

I have a problem though - busybox doesn't have useradd or passwd, and neither does this crappy watered down version of apt. I have root, but I don't have the password to any of the accounts floating around on Android (which is going to make ssh a pain in the ass). Moreover, there isn't a /home directory, but there is /data/data/com.termux/files/home.

I do have a working C compiler, however. Is there a way to add users via a system call? And will the device shit itself because /home doesn't exist? Can I arbitrarily pick a directory to create the user's home directory in?
>>
Hello /g/s
Falling for the linux meme
I'm trying to install Vmware Tools on Linux Mint, but the CD shows as empty, and 0byte size
> Pic Related
Any ideas ?
>>
>>51953395
well shit, was googling and couldnt find anything, gave the impression it forced artist/album and coudlnt be a deeper tree or whatever
nice
>>
Sup f/g/ts, is there a livecd that I can stick on a USB that has password sshd enabled by default? My nephew stepped on my sister's laptop and the display is fucked, I want to turn it into a server.
>>
is it worth it to look for a phone with linux on it? Or am I handing out my data for free anyway if I'm using a smartphone?
>>
Pretty much total newfag to linux (haven't used it seriously before) but I want to install a distro onto my external drive tonight. I was thinking of doing Manjaro. Should I use XFCE or KDE?
>>
Do all Ubuntu packages work on Mint? My fiancée is trying to install Osu! on my Mint laptop but is having trouble. I think it might just be a Windows program but she says there's a package for it.
>>
>>51954784
If you want to do an Arch derivative, either use Architect Linux or Antergos. Manjaro's devs are incompetent and it is not worth installing.
>>
>>51954868
What about something like Debian or Mint? I'm dualbooting with win7 so I kinda just want something comfy and riceable.
>>
>>51954026
Problem solved, thanks for nothing
>>
>>51955071
Depends on definition of comfy

Minimal installs with almost no bloat?
>debian
>arch

Fucktons of bloat and useless packages but an otherwise complete software suite?
>K/X/L/Ubuntu
>Mint
>>
>>51954778

You're handing away all of your data simply by using the Internet.
>>
>>51954778
First of all, you really can't do shit about it if you live in a first world country.

Second of all, if you don't care about apps or anything and just want a smartphone, get a Jolla phone.
>>
Just installed Linux MInt. Changed the theme to Numix-CInnamon, the font to Waree, and the wallpaper. I know the basics of the LInux command line, what should i do next? Any tips?
Thanks, anons.
>>
>>51955355
the fuck are you trying to accomplish?
>>
>>51955355
use your computer.
>>
>>51955372
>>51955411
I want to rice and learn more about Linux
>>
>>51955469
>I want to rice
You already did.
It is an OS meant to be used, use it.
>>
>>51955469
fuck off to the desktop thread
>>
is apt-get really that bad? how does it compare to things like pacman or yum or whatever other package managers are out there
>>
how do I make lubuntu faster?
>>
>>51955706
nothing because ubuntu base is like 1500 packages too bloated
>>
>>51949078
Is that a rather modern series? If so, I think my Toshiba should be fine. I'm going to setup Ubuntu on it at some point, maybe in a VB.
>>
Does anybody know what this button is called, or how i can change its color, im using xfce
>>
>>51955706
faster in what way?
>>
>>51956518
are you using appchanx or something? Is that the icon of a tab?
>>
>>51956546
sorry ill give you a bigger picture, im talking about the buttons for each of your program
>>
>>51956592
is that iceweasel or something? You would need to replace the icon that is installed with it. Depends where debian (?) installs it, if you can find the package installer script it should tell you where it goes.

Sorry, I don't use debian and I'm not sure what the terminology is with its package manager.
>>
>>51954815
Yeah, if you are using regular Mint than anything that works in Ubuntu should work in Mint.
>>
>>51955976
I have no idea. I got it in a pawn shop. It seems like it was made within the last decade at least.
>>
I've been using Ubuntu/Mint for a couple of years now and I think I want to move on. What are the recommended "intermediate" distros? I have AMD, so no Arch.
>>
>>51956929
Your post makes no sense. What do you want to do exactly? There's not much you can't do in mint that you can in arch. Why not arch because you have AMD?
>>
>>51957004
>What do you want to do exactly?
Nothing in particular. /g/ keeps telling me that Mint is only good for babies, though.
>Why not arch because you have AMD?
Not officially supported.
>>
>>51957162
>Not officially supported.
I have AMD and it works in arch, gentoo, ubuntu...
>>51957162
>Nothing in particular. /g/ keeps telling me that Mint is only good for babies, though.
/g/ is full of shills, trolls, and morons. There literally no point in using another distro because you want to advance or whatever, the only difference is that you'll install in possibly a different (and more verbose) way and have to learn a new package manager. Change because your current distro doesn't offer the packages you need or there is some kind of problem with it which would be solved with a different distro. Guess which distro Linus Torvalds uses? Certainly not arch or gentoo, he uses a computer to get things done.
>>
how do i make a usb bootable for linux? it always says there is no OS that can be found when I try to boot off a USB
>>
>>51957162
It's one thing to fall under peer pressure with people you physically interact with daily, it's another thing entirely to fall under peer pressure from anonymous fuckwits you can't even see.
>>
>>51956929
If I'm assuming correctly you want to play more with linux "guts", I'd recommend doing it in a virtual machine first. Arch is a fine choice for this since there's good video and wiki documentation on how to do it.
>>
Differences between XFCE and LXDE?

I'm on LXDE, and used to Lubuntu. Contemplating changing things up.

Any comments on this beyond the general stuff I've read while googling about it?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 32

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.