[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dear /g/. my nephew has started doing some simple python and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5
File: python.png (14 KB, 1152x720) Image search: [Google]
python.png
14 KB, 1152x720
Dear /g/. my nephew has started doing some simple python and I would like to buy him a book on python for Christmas, could you recommend a good one? He is nine

thanks
>>
>>51937046
Get him something on Python and Flask.

It's a web microframework and that is extremely fucking simple. It can be used to make really powerful web apps and it just works.

I use it professionally and make six figures. If your kiddo can do it, he's got a rad future.
>>
>>51937046
Forget a book. Come up with something for him to make and then point him at a search engine and Python's documentation.
>>
>>51937082
he's only nine, I don't want to overface him

looking for a book aimed at kids

>>51937121
something like what?

I could just give him some money I suppose, but I want to give him something tangible, and useful
>>
File: autistic-homosexual.jpg (44 KB, 399x499) Image search: [Google]
autistic-homosexual.jpg
44 KB, 399x499
>>51937046
>>
>>51937187
hopefully he's neither, already had girlfriends at 9, bit jealous

there is a dummies book called "python for kids", will probably get that one, it's £13.71, there is another one "a playful introduction to programming" but it's £19

could afford either, but £13 seems about right, otherwise will have to spend more on his sisters
>>
get him a free gentoo install on his computer, make sure it isnt fully installed, otherwise he wont get the full enjoyment of installing gentoo.
>>
>>51937046
Ask your wife's son, I'm sure SHE'd know.
>>
Here OP

and its free too
or you can "buy:" the printed ebook to support authors

https://automatetheboringstuff.com/
>>
>>51937046
>9 year old nephew
It's for yourself OP isn't it?
>>
>>51937603
kekked, no
>>
>>51937603
It's actually for his wife's son
>>
>>51937046
Think Like a Computer Scientist
>>
>>51937832
back to /pol/ with you sexist racist bigot homophobe cuckhater

>>51937871
I kind of am one, I got a load of certs, nodegree though

could you elucidate based anon?
>>
>>51937601
this sounds awesome anon, thank you
>>
>>51937578
yes, that is very funny anon, poo in loo, etc

perhaps I should just send out gentoo flash dicks?
>>
>>51937547
I missed that, gentoo flashes it is then heil stalinman
>>
>>51937046
Buy him a book on F#. Don't give him brain damage by teaching him Python first.
>>
Python Hacking Essentials
http://www.megafileupload.com/e5uj/PythonHacking.pdf
Python for Security Professionals
https://www.cybrary.it/course/python
>>
>>51937578
TOPFUCKINGKEK

I love how this is a meme on /g/
I still remember that thread LOL
>>
>>51938234
f fucking sharp? is this even real@? are you rusing me?
>>
Heres a good a tutorial dump, too lazy for URLs. Probably a bit more approachable.
>>
File: ss+(2015-12-18+at+05.07.40).png (35 KB, 399x550) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2015-12-18+at+05.07.40).png
35 KB, 399x550
>>51938292
derpo google em
>>
>>51938286
F# is a great language. Far better than Python in every way.
>>
>>51937046
Dear OP here is a serious reply:
https://www.nostarch.com/pythonforkids

Literally called Python for Kids. I haven't looked through it myself but there's a sample here: https://www.nostarch.com/download/samples/PFK_ch4.pdf

Looks like it's targeted right at your nephew's age.
>>
>>51938311
are you a microshit shill?
>>
>>51937046
Book is stupid idea
There is everything he needs on the internet
Maybe book about algorithms would be better
There is much more to read about that and book might be better for that

But idk shit so...
>>
>>51938325
this is one of the two on my shortlist so far

it's a bit more expensive that the dummies one though, is it that good?

>>51938381
I see you're point, but I want to give something tangible, not a piece of papaer with a URL on it

deffo including a gentoo flash disk image though, that should blow his tiny little mind
>>
>>51938411
It's intended for children. The Python for Dummies is intended for the typical NEET of /g/. You choose.
>>
>>51938479
well, since you recommend it, I will probably go for it
>>
>>51938381
>Maybe book about algorithms would be better
Do this, OP

Miles more useful than a book on Python

The Algorithm Design Manual, CLRS, and Algorithms by Sanjoy Dasgupta are a good ones to start with IMO. If he's really into it, he should be able to understand any of them well enough to put the knowledge to use. If he's not all that into programming, just get him some shitty Python book and be done with it
>>
>>51939165
>a good ones
fuck.

Also, I forgot to mention, algorithms are a transferable skill if he decides to not stick with python and goes for something else instead. Python syntax is just python, and there's tons of documentation on it for free anyway
>>
Good intro to CS that starts from the ground up. Uses python. Used in Berkeley's first CS course.
http://composingprograms.com/
>>
>>51939165
>just get him some shitty Python book and be done with it
will probably do that, he already likes python

>>51939294
thanks, I want something tangible for his present though
>>
File: 1450487861818.jpg (32 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1450487861818.jpg
32 KB, 500x375
didn't various boards get together to make a programming visual novel? If not, make one.
>>
>>51939322
>he already likes python
are you daft?
algorithms are something you can use to solve problems with python

at least get him something that goes beyond basic syntax like this http://www.amazon.com/Problem-Solving-Algorithms-Structures-Python/dp/1590280539
>>
>>51939432
This advice would make sense if we were talking about an adult. He's 9 for pete's sake, it's not long since he's been taught how to divide. It's best to not overwhelm him right now and give him an absolute beginner's book. If he's smart and really likes programming he'll gobble through it on a week or so anyways and start using the internet instead.
>>
>>51939432
This kid is fucking nine, do you really think he's going to read and understand a book like that?
>>
>>51939511
>>51939523

you seriously underestimate 9 year olds

If he's honestly interested in programming, he'll chug through the book slowly, but he'll still manage it.

I had started on highschool math when I was nine, because I had the interest in math to do it, and these are approximately highschool level books.
>>
My wife's son also started programming and he's really liking codeacademy's courses. It might be good to get a grip on the entry level stuff.
>>
>>51937268
I disagree about treating kids like fucking idiots, that's what these kind of books do.
>>
I think this is good, but I have no experience of it myself
>>
>>51939614
It's not a matter of "is the kid smart enough to do it?", everyone knows what's taught in school is easy as fuck without exception. it's "is the kid exceptionally interested in programming to the point of studying topics almost a decade of what's expected of a person of his age?". Almost everyone has the intellect to potentially ace the whole of their basic education, it's more of a matter of self-motivation and work ethic. Much of the same applies to college.
>>
>>51939691
>>51939656
>>51939614
I DUNNO, might get him a simple and an advanced one then
>>
>>51939691
well, he is white
>>
Build him an amd rig. This way he won't make any mistakes when he's going to build a pc himself.
>>
>>51939691
>"is the kid exceptionally interested in programming to the point of studying topics almost a decade of what's expected of a person of his age?"
If he's happy getting a book instead of the latest COD, or whatever kids are playing nowadays, he's fucking exceptionally interested.

"he wants a book on programming for christmas more than vidya" is the assumption that I'm framing all of my suggestions around
>>
>>51939867
he's got one

not great, but ok

>>51939879
nah, he might not want it, but thats what I want to get him
>>
>>51939941
>nah, he might not want it, but thats what I want to get him

>getting kinds gifts they don't want
nothing, or $10 would literally be better than filling his room up with stuff he'll never use. I'm out.
>>
>>51939968
out you go, non helpful g fag
>>
thanks guys, off now
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.