[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, I am a Dutch guy and I want to get into MIT next year. I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 6
File: 1024px-MIT_Seal.svg.png (467 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
1024px-MIT_Seal.svg.png
467 KB, 1024x1024
So, I am a Dutch guy and I want to get into MIT next year.

I have a secondary education and want to get my bacholor over there. I have about 8K savings to move there.

I know MIT isn't expensive, they will help you with paying and give you loands and stuff.

I also have about two years of working experience as a DevOps engineer.

Can I get in?
>>
>>51931914
idk. MIT isn't consistent and predictable I hear. They go based on what they think your ceiling is.
>>
>>51931945
Alright, hopefully I get some more feedback.
>>
Why would you go to MIT when Delft University is just as good for engineering? It has just as good reputation and it's free.
>>
>>51932317
>Delft University
No mate, MIT is next to world famous also the #1 school for IT.

I know I can go to delft. I do, but fuck that normal shit.
>>
>>51932317
OP has MBO4
>>
>>51932317
>just as good
M8, the only 3 schools in Europe that come close to any of the top tier American schools are Oxford, Cambridge and that one in Switzerland. And no I'm not from any of them.

There are a lot of decent ones, and delft is decent as well, but they don't come close to something like Stanford or MIT. For all its worth, they can't, because they don't have the budget.

Also it's Bretty hard to get into American schools as non Americans.
I tried to apply for some mediocre school in the Midwest (I'm German) and didn't get accepted even though I think my grades were acceptable

Then again, don't stop trying. I'll just hope I can get a few years of work experience and find an international company where I can get an H1B visa.
>Or maybe I'll encounter a qt3.14 murican girl who will marry me :3
>>
>>51931914
>>51932339
>>51932499
why are you people such american dick sucking cucks?
>>
As probably the only man ITT dumb enough to apply, I can tell you that you have it rough. Only 100ish internationals will be accepted, which means your competition are Indian kids with 4 IMO gold and a homeschooled wealthy Nigerian kid who finished high school at 15 and wrote a book or something. You need to be either extremely, top of the world, bright or you need to be interesting enough for their promotion. I went for the second (grew up in a war zone as a child of parents from two opposing sides, started an online business, worked a lot etc) and I didn't get in. To be honest family, I'm not that surprised, a lot of amazing people apply.

Anyways, get your SAT 2200+, polish your life's story and go for it. If you don't get in, don't forget that every year more than 5k students apply and only 100ish get accepted.
>>
>>51932551
>not loving the Anglo cock
Enjoy getting beheaded by Muslims, Sergei
>>
>>51932317
>it's free
Not anymore it isn't.

EWI at the TU Delft has nice elevators though.
Probably better than the ones at MIT.

Also I'm learning most skills from side projects while studying at the TU Delft, I don't think which university matters that much.
>>
>>51931914
>8K
You need $150K at least.
>>
>>51933020
I think it's like 60k a year. But they'll only make you pay how much they think your parents can reasonably contribute a year plus ~5k (what they expect you can make in a year part time). However, I don't theyll do it for foreigners.
>>
>>51931914
It doesn't matter where you get your Bachelor's degree from, what matters is your Masters and even more so your Doctorate.
>>
>>51933908
Getting a doctorate has a negative impact on your salary.
>>
>>51933944
lol :-)
>>
>>51933965
Writing papers makes you less than an average compsci master job at some company. It's not hard to grasp.
>>
>>51931914
>I know MIT isn't expensive

>Undergraduate Tuition and Living Expenses. Nine months' tuition for 2014–2015 is $44,720. In addition, undergraduate room and board is approximately $13,224 depending on the student's housing and dining arrangements. Books and personal expenses are about $2,790.

How can living costs and books be so expensive?
>>
Hey /g/ I want to get into MIT but I dropped out of HS but I'm colored. Should I build a clock?
>>
>>51934029
USA
>>
File: Oxford.jpg (2 MB, 3072x2304) Image search: [Google]
Oxford.jpg
2 MB, 3072x2304
>>51931914
Maybe apply to Oxford or Cambridge as well. They are much cheaper (9k£ + living costs per year for EU citizens) and are much easier to apply to as an EU student.
>>
>>51931914
>MIT
>Meme Institute of Tech
>>
>>51934417
At Undergrad you can only apply to one of the two
>>
>>51934579
Yeah thats why I said Oxford or Cambridge. Though I guess saying it explicitly will be useful to anyone considering applying
>>
>>51932688
Also the building has like 30 toilets for men and 3 for women. I'd go to Delft OP.
>>
CalTech is way better. MIT is a meme
>>
>>51934710
Fuck off.

MIT student here. Go for it OP.
>>
File: 1351060799515.jpg (63 KB, 500x600) Image search: [Google]
1351060799515.jpg
63 KB, 500x600
Felt I should post here instead of making a new thread.

I doing CompSci in college in europe. my "majors" though that's not what I'd call them are software engineering and network security.

My college isn't particularly prestigious but it does alright, I got placement this year as a network engineer for Qualcomm.

My question is should I do a masters at all and if so should I do it somewhere prestigious? What are the odds of me getting accepted? I'm confident my final grade will be first class honors, which I'm assuming is a 1.1 and 4.0 in other college systems.

Or would I be better off just looking for employment before I graduate and hopefully landing a job to start as soon as I'm finished?

Have a meme.
>>
>>51934871
post bachelor's education is never worth it from a financial perspective. only do if if you are actually interested in learning or being a professor
>>
>>51934887
I'm interested in quantum computing and I do have some background in physics.

There's absolutely nothing in my college relating to it though so I don't really know how I'd go about pursuing it when I graduate.
>>
The American Cambridge is ass.
>>
>>51931914
The real question is what you are planning to so after you went to MIT. Getting a degree at MIT is nice and all but then what? Work at GE? Nasa? Become a nomadic researcher preaching free software?
>>
>>51934985
The UK one is boring as fuck.
>>
>>51931914

You are really misinformed, and you sound like a community college tier drone.

>MIT isn't expensive

Imbecile.
>>
>>51932619
>Anyways, get your SAT 2200+

Try 2400.
>>
>>51934978
I am fairly sure Dutch, German and British unis are doing stuff in quantum computing
>>
>MIT
>not a european univerity
>>
Alright gois, let's have some fun. Go ahead and judge my application for MIT.

> We know you lead a busy life, full of activities, many of which are required of you. Tell us about something you do for the pleasure of it. (*)(100 words or fewer)
I spend the vast majority of my time reading or studying for certificates. Partly I do that because I want to grow as a professional, but I also do that for the pleasure of it. I also like to travel, I have travelled through China, Thailand, Czech, Italy and others, which is something I mainly do for pleasure.

> Although you may not yet know what you want to major in, which department or program at MIT appeals to you and why? (*) (100 words or fewer)
I have worked as a System Administrator before, so I definetly am aiming for Electrical Engineering and Computer Science. However, I have a lifelong fascination with aerospace engineering. Being a small boy I even dreamt of being a pilot once day. I see forward to choosing different minors and finding out what path I want to take.
>>
> At MIT, we seek to develop in each member of our community the ability and passion to work collaboratively for the betterment of humankind. How have you improved the lives of others in your community? (This could be one person or many, at school or at home, in your neighborhood or your state, etc.) (*) (200-250 words)
At a previous school we had a so called "chaosweek", in this week we all tried our best to collect money to donate to a Dutch charity called KiKa. (a charity that aims to pay medical threatment for children suffering from cancer) Me and some other students came together and thought of something that would really get some media attention. It was my idea to set up a 24 hour online radio station from the school's auditorium. For 24 hours we locked ourselfs in a small space without food and made radio. We got featured on national television and local radio stations and we received over €10,000 in donations.

I was responsible for setting up the technical environment. A livestream, an online donation system and ofcourse the sound equipment. I made a website for the livestream and the donation system that was visited by over 110,000 people over the course of three months.
>>
>>51935164
Tbh you sound like a generic rich kid
I would reject this proposal instantly
>>
>>51935223
Actually, in an earlier question they asked my cultural history. I am actually from a really bad background and my dad worked really hard to get us away from it. But yeah, maybe you are right about it being to snobby.
>>
>>51935045
They give a lot of financial aid to undergraduates and many graduate students are fully funded, so it isn't in fact necessarily expensive.
>>
File: VU_logo.png (26 KB, 877x261) Image search: [Google]
VU_logo.png
26 KB, 877x261
Why don't you go to VU and get class from respected people like Bal, Bos and Tanenbaum?
>>
>>51935060
The guy you responded to here
2400 is really unnecessary. 2300+ is okay if you are going for the super smart guy, they realise you aren't a native English speaker (and as somebody who speaks English since I was 5, some parts are more related to your education curriculum than to actual language use). If you are going for the poster child though, 2150+ is enough if you have other factors counted in.
>>
>>51935164
Generic/10

>>51935180
7/10

Depending on your grades, ethnicity, SAT scores and other shit, you have a shot. Not a great one, but still a shot.
>>
>>51935404
I am caucasian, so that should help. Grades are pretty shit and I need to make an SAT.

Thanks for the feedbacko.
>>
>>51935164
>>51935180
You need to work on your writing first and foremost.
>>
>>51935442
>I am Caucasian so that should help
You don't seem to understand
>>
>>51935466
So, tell me what I should understand.

>>51935463
I'm not native so just fuck off. People from Kenia who barely speak English get accepted FFS.
>>
>>51935442
>I am caucasian, so that should help
Oh boy are you in for a surprise
>>
>>51935442
>I am caucasian, so that should help.
Are you from the past?
>>
>>51935482
You answered it yourself just now
>>
>>51935482
>I'm not native so just fuck off.
Neither am I.
>People from Kenia who barely speak English get accepted FFS.
So? If you are just gonna half-ass your application why even bother? Good spelling, especially from a non-native shows a lot of commitment.
>>
>>51935523
My spelling isn't that bad? Come on.

>>51935509
Fair enough. I need to check my privilege.
>>
File: image.jpg (27 KB, 274x202) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27 KB, 274x202
>>51935442
>>
>>51934662
Damn, those toilets are sweet.
>>
>>51935442

It really really really won't. Fuck even well off Asians find getting entry difficult.
>>
>>51934837
Wow, I'm sure you can back those statements up with your acceptance letter and student ID.
>>
>>51935442
>>51935482
I'm >>51932619
Since you wouldn't be shitposting on /g/ if you were an IMO gold medalist, I'll assume you are going in for a diversity acceptance.

Here's the thing, a [upper class, highly educated] black man from Nigeria, overcoming all odds (kek) sounds a lot better in the press than a generic white kid from a first world country. International pick is heavily divided between Indians and Chinese, who out of 2.5 billion people have 50+ 180+IQ genius tier individuals and people from shitholes who have good stories behind them. You are a generic kid from a well off country, nothing special in either way. You have nothing to offer them, neither genius nor brownie points. You can go for it, and I encourage you to do so, but make plans B, C etc.
>>
>>51935547
I mean. It's not THAT bad or anything, but it's not exactly what I would call up to par with a formal application.
For example. To nitpick(which I guarantee MIT will as well).

>I spend the vast majority
Spent.
>Partly I do that
Partially.
>but I also do that
Do it.
>being a pilot once day
One day.
>I see forward to choosing different
Looking forward to.
>called KiKa. (a charity that aims to pay medical threatment for children suffering from cancer)
Parenthesis before the punctuation, not after.
>we locked ourselfs
Ourselves.
>and made radio
Wouldn't call it wrong exactlly. But broadcasted would work way better.
>and ofcourse
Of course.

And that is only the stuff my badly educated self noticed.
>>
>>51931914
Have you:
started a tech startup
invented anything
created an app/program
gotten a patent

If you haven't done any of the above, you won't get in. In my senior year of high school I knew four guys who applied, all with weighted GPA's of above 4.4 and 2350+ on their SAT's along with being in a robotics team that was number one in our state and a science Olympiad organization thing, and none of them got in.
>>
>>51935692
>Spent.
Sorry. That was my mistake.
>>
File: hi.jpg (645 KB, 2919x1153) Image search: [Google]
hi.jpg
645 KB, 2919x1153
>>51935617
>>
>>51935818
What's it like being a white minority?
>>
>>51935818
OP here, can you give me any tips and feedback please?
>>
>>51935818
So, how did you get in?
>>
>>51935818
Hi Pajeet
>>
>>51932636
>actually thinks US is ran by Anglos

Top lol, at least change that to "Kosher cock"
>>
>>51935005
>Become a nomadic researcher preaching free software?

We need them, Stallman won't live forever
>>
>>51935857
>>51936061
I'm actually a graduate student, so I have nothing to say about undergraduate admissions.
>>
>>51935482
>People from Kenia who barely speak English get accepted FFS.

Because they are NOT caucasian. being white is the worst thing you can be. It's like being a cripple going for the title of boxing heavyweight world champion. It's the worst possible situation, everything else needs to be perfect for there to be any chance.
>>
>>51936384
Caucasian is a worthless term since it includes a whole bunch of groups including Arabs. Try "European-derived" or something like that.
>>
>>51935818
>MIT Federal Credit Union
MIT has it's own bank?
oh wow, feels yuropoor man
>>
buuuuuuuuuuuuuuump
>>
>>51936766
Just go and apply for a different uni as well OP. Your chances of getting accepted into MIT are slim but existent
>>
OP here. Literally lost in these stupid questions. Decided to go the American way, and make them cry.

> Describe the world you come from; for example, your family, clubs, school, community, city, or town. How has that world shaped your dreams and aspirations?(*) (200-250 words)
My grandfather died when my father was only fourteen, that forced my father to start working from a very young age. My mother never knew her father and spend most of her teenage years in boarding-school. When they met eachother they fell in love and started a family together. They never went to school and the only thing they focussed on for the next twenty years was taking care of their children. I grew up in a loving family. When I was thirteen I moved out of the suburbs to a small town where my family has lived ever since. I went to (the Dutch equivalent of) highschool in Rotterdam for four years, every day commuting for two hours.

My father always told me going to school is the most important thing, because he never had that chance. That formed me into somebody who values education a lot.
>>
>>51936949
I actually can't, most universities in the US aren't as affordable as MIT.
>>
>>51937104
well apply to some top EU Unis as well then.
>>
>>51937104
Where did you get this idea that MIT is cheap? Compared to other big-time private schools in the US, sure $45k is less than the typical $55-65k, but do they actually give financial aid to foreigners, especially Europeans?
>>
>>51937308
Sure, if youre looking to work for nasa and can build clocks.
>>
>>51937308
MIT pretty much pays the amount you can't pay.
>>
>>51937364
Virtually all so-called prestigious schools in the US do this in the form of aid packages. This isn't something that only MIT does.
>>
>>51936287
help me get into media lab pls
>>
>>51934479

TOP lel!
Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.