[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
cucked by windows
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 7
File: windows-10-logo.jpg (65 KB, 800x523) Image search: [Google]
windows-10-logo.jpg
65 KB, 800x523
what the hell, I turned off windows updates, but they still got updated today. Is there any way to turn them off permanently?
>>
In Windows 10, on a non-Enterprise version? Basically no.
>>
>>51929968
You can't anon. No amount of registry hacking will stop Windows from automating shit. Faggets call it a botnet for a reason.
>>
you know id actually be fine with automatic updates if it didnt cause the entire system to restart like wtf nigga just restart the services involved
>>
>>51929968

Install gentoo
>>
>>51930031
You can simply turn of automatic restarting.

Personally, the only updates I object are automatic driver updates. I'm perfectly fine with automatic updates to Windows, that's how it should be, anyway.
>>
>>51929968
you can't you cuck
>>
>>51930155
no, thats not the point

i want my computer to not have to shut down entirely because of a windows defender update
>>
>>51930155
Yes you can, but it won't complete updating if you do not fucking restart it. Don't ask, that's windows logic for you.
>>
>>51929968
this week's Tuesday update nuked the partition record for my storage space. I was able to rebuild it without an issue, but still, what the fuck Microsoft?
>>
>>51929968
I have no updated in last 4 months, dunno what you are talking about.
Are you sure you know how your system works or you are simply too dumb to set it properly?
>>
>>51929968
I turned off mine in Services.msc and never got an update.
>>
>>51930183
Windows Defender updates don't restart your computer.

>>51930191
So what. Just don't restart until it's convenient for you. You can leave it running for days without restarting after an update.
>>
>>51930736
>You can leave it running for days

wow, that's so fucking generous

thank you nutella, thank you india
now i can use my computer literally FOR DAYS
>>
>>51930971
What the fuck is your problem? I reboot my computer once every few weeks. A restart takes two minutes, tops. You don't have two minutes of time to restart your computer every other week, when you go to the bathroom?
>>
>>51931108
You have 3 days to restart after an update in Windows 10.
After that it restarts automatically, whether you like it or not.

If you don't see the problem in that, you've obviously never had to work on some project with lots of stuff open on your computer.
>>
>>51929968
botnet
>>
>>51931195
You can turn said automatic restart off completely, if you're on Pro.
>>
>>51931268
You can also set Windows Update to manual or notify to download on Pro, and it will only update when you tell it to.

If you're doing work that needs you to have the PC running for days without break, switch to Pro, you shouldn't be using Home.
>>
>>51931108
How long does it take until your asshole doesn't hurt anymore?
>>
>>51931295
>You can also set Windows Update to manual or notify to download on Pro

No you can't. If you mean the GP setting it doesn't work. Just like the GP setting to disable telemetry doesn't work.
>>
>>51931365
Yes, the GP works. I'm using gpedit to modify it, and it does exactly what I tell it to.
>>
>>51929968

Lurking as well, the recent security update just fucked my connectivity over.
>>
>>51931433
Show me some proof. A screenshot of update notifications, for example.

Until then I'll trust MS more than you. And MS says you cannot do it.
>>
TLDR: Use pro to gain the ability to turn off automatic updates

ULTIMATE KEK
>>
File: Capture2.png (16 KB, 390x338) Image search: [Google]
Capture2.png
16 KB, 390x338
>>51931472
Alright, in fact, I just had one ready.
>>
>>51931472
not the faggoutte you are chit chatting with but im using win 10 enterprise n and I did this, pic related and now i download and install updates when i want, if its bullshit i hide that update with wushowhide.diagcab and i dont even got that automatic restart shit
>>
File: Untitled.png (608 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
608 KB, 1366x768
>>51931709
frgt pig
>>
File: Untitled.png (101 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
101 KB, 1366x768
>>51931727
>>
>people going through all that trouble to fight their OS

winCucks are mentally ill.
>>
>>51931709
Is the ability to hide updates exclusive to Enterprise? Driver updates, in particular.

>>51931743
I'm totally with Microsoft on this one. Updates should be automatic and mandatory, for all but select users.
>>
>>51931774
maybe, since we have access gpedit

but i cant say, ive just pirated enterprise and gave it a shot
>>
you cannot disable updates in consumer versions. that option is only given for Enterprise edition which you cannot activate normally through upgrade, it is volume licensing or some shit.

just stick to Windows 7/8.1. Myself downgraded to 7 last night, it was like a taking shit after holding it in for a month. So relieved now, back to my comfy setup.
>>
>>51929968
And people STILL defend this shit.

>>51931268
>Pro
how much did you pay for it? oh right, you pirated it.
are you, by chance, the brazilian shitposter that is obsessed with win10?
>>
>>51931846
I think Win 10 is more comfy than 7. Everything works out of the box, the user interface works in almost the same ways, the biggest change I've seen was settings in front of the control panel. It's faster to set up after a clean install, and you have to change fewer settings. Better Multidisplay support, and it's faster to boot. I imagine it might be different if your hardware is older than Windows 8, but for me, it was the other way round, all my hardware is fairly new, and wasn't always well supported in 7.
>>
>>51931902
I'm German, and I got it as a free Upgrade of Windows 7 Ultimate, which I bought. I've pirated XP for years before that, and honestly, fuck that hassle.
>>
>>51931933
it feels that way in the first week. when the inconsistencies in the UI and gigantic blocks of buttons and wasted space start to piss you off.

Having no control over updates and configuration of my own system is a deal breaker for me. Granted it is polished and more up-to-date than 7, it showed me no significant improvement in performance for my applications/games which often experience stuttering and lag.
>>
>>51931987
But I've been using it since August. So far, the UI feels consistent for me.
I don't notice gigantic buttons and wasted space. I use it at 100% scaling on two WQHD displays, and it just fits. Maybe your scaling is off, or you're using touch mode? It does just that.

Pro gives you all the control over updates you need. Configuration is the same as Windows 7. The Control Panel in all its functionality is still there.

If you're experience performance problems in certain applications, you should forward those issues to Microsoft, so they can actually put them on the list of things that need polishing. Despite what intuition tells you about a single person's problems being drowned out, they still try to give users a good experience.
>>
>>51931933
> claims everything works out of the box when people need to run scripts and configure shit after every forced update just to avoid spending ram and bandwidth on the spyware included in Windows 10. Users of all other OS don't have such a broken system that they need to continually fix the same problem again and again. It obviously is not a "just werks" OS.
>>
>>51929968

↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓
> C U C K <
> U C K C <
> C K C U <
> K C U C <
↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑
>>
>>51932538
You're replying to a Microsoft employee
>>
>>51929968
Block it with an external/third party firewall.
>>
>>51931727
I used that setting before going online.
In the first 20 minutes after connecting, W10 downloaded around 60MB of data.
I think it was mostly some new metro apps (HURR INSTALL SKYPE) that were installed automatically.

Bottom line this shit is a pain in the ass to manage, with holes everywhere. I'm pretty sure I won't be using it.
>>
>>51931108
>he goes to the bath room
>he doesn't support himself by eating his own shit
>>
>>51931933
>It's faster to set up after a clean install, and you have to change fewer settings.

Most of what you wrote is bullshit, but this one in particular.
Windows 10 is atrocious out of the box and bloated to the max. You cannot even remove all the metro garbage apps without some powershell scripts.
Not to mention two control panels and other stupid shit like that.
Also it boots slow and feels slow in general.
>>
File: 1317688033116.jpg (85 KB, 750x600) Image search: [Google]
1317688033116.jpg
85 KB, 750x600
>>51932739
kek'd
>>
>>51931472
>I'll trust MS
Good goyim.
>>
>>51931472
Best goy.
>>
>>51931684
What happens when you click it?
How do I know those aren't downloaded already?
>>
>>51931472
>Trust
>Microshill
NSA is in full force today
>>
>>51930031

Happened to me today, too. Took half an hour that I didn't have to spend without the data.

Enterprise edition of course. Fuckin' hate.
>>
>>51932791
It opens the settings page for Windows Update, as if you manually opened via Settings.
>>
>>51931472
Good job Rajeesh, 0.1 shekel has been added to your bank account.
>>
>>51931472
NSA plis goooh
>>
>>51931472
>Trust M$
>After all it has done
Shilling: The Post
>>
>>51932664
you probably does not have the N version :^)

it doesnt install nothing for me until i do otherwise.

the best thing is that you can hide any update you want before you install the wanted ones
>>
>>51934599
Does Windows Update differ in the N and regular versions?
>>
File: Windows10.jpg (177 KB, 1174x720) Image search: [Google]
Windows10.jpg
177 KB, 1174x720
>>
>>51935342
in N there are missing few apps, like skype, and ive never seen in my updates anything about metro shit skype app
>>
>>51935747
If that's all there is to it...
>>
>>51935402
I figured it out as well. there is no such thing as a free lunch. which is why M$ is nagging us to upgrade for "free".

I am sticking to my Win7/Ubuntu comfy setup. Fuck upgrading.
>>
>>51935402
>>51935853
I haven't noticed any ads outside of the app hemishpere.

Even then, Z manga which is the one I've used the most only has this small 240x240p box in the start section corner for displaying adds.

Android is much worse when it comes to ads.
>>
File: LOO.jpg (327 KB, 2000x1000) Image search: [Google]
LOO.jpg
327 KB, 2000x1000
>>51929968
Nope. You seriously thought you had a userland option to turn off updates? LOL welcome to the botnet Parjeet. Also, take your poo to the loo.
>>
>>51930183
Confirmed for having no idea how Windows works
>>
>>51930005
>No amount of registry hacking will stop Windows from automating shit.

I can't believe this is true. I'm still on W7 because fuck telemetry. So I don't know shit about W10 yet.

but... I could rip the update service out of the registry if I wanted(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\wuauserv). Just delete it. No more update service. BITS too if I wanted. I don't know what that will do to the OS itself but I could do it quite easily. I've done similar with the group policy service on Win 7. I didn't want it running so I just force disabled the service in the registry, no more group policy service trying to run in a damn workgroup. Why can't I just do this in W10? Why can't I just enable the group policy that disables updates via the registry?

So yeah, I don't get it. I guess I'll need to play with it in a VM to see how much I can break it.
>>
>>51931987
>inconsistencies in the UI
>polished

?
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.